Confirming/identifying '50 Champ engine by number

Jersey2J

Jun 20, 2008, 2:12:29 AM6/20/08
We were told that our '50 Champion had a '53 engine - something about
the '53 engine being 1" longer and obstructing the installation of a
standard fuel pump.

I finally checked the engine number, 536180 (with a #2 below it), and
it looks like the engine indeed belongs in a 9G '50 Champ.

Resource: http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tech_6data.asp

Can anyone confirm/clarify for me?

Thanks again!

http://studebakerguide.blogspot.com/

Dwain G.

Jun 22, 2008, 8:57:14 PM6/22/08
No, sorry, what you have found is the cylinder head number for a head
that was orginally installed on '55-'57 Champions.
At the very top, front, left (driver's) side of the engine block is a
smooth machined pad about 1/2" tall by 2" long. Find that area and
clean it off with a putty knife, wire brush, sandpaper, whatever and
tell us what you find there.
There should be no real difference between a '50 and a '53 engine, but
a lot of differences from '55-on.

Jersey2J

Jun 24, 2008, 1:02:27 AM6/24/08

Thanks, Dwain. The number is 626,211. A '50 9G engine, right?

Dwain G.

Jun 24, 2008, 12:07:21 PM6/24/08
Yes sir, a 1950 engine, the original engine probably. Now that we know
that, I'm not so sure whoever installed the later head did the right
thing. That 536180 head was designed to deliver 7.5 to 1 compression
ratio on a 185 engine. When installed on a 170 engine it probably
delivers at least a half point less, maybe as low as 6.5 to 1.
That's not a great big deal, so if you are okay with the way the car
runs now, I wouldn't change anything. If you do want a little bit more
power and mileage you could try to find the 1950-54 head #529279 or
the 1960 head #1549218.

Jersey2J

Jun 25, 2008, 5:44:26 PM6/25/08

Thanks, Dwain. An amazingly precise answer to my question. I
appreciate your time and thoughtful response. The process of
researching our Champ has started a fire in me to evangelize the
Studebaker brand - a great history and a great automobile.

Best regards,
Jason

Dwain G.

Jun 26, 2008, 12:29:06 AM6/26/08
You're welcome Jason, it was a pleasure! I do enjoy hunting down these
numbers and trying to identify parts.