American Hot Rod

John Poulos

Jul 11, 2005, 11:23:57 PM7/11/05
Just watching the guys on American Hot Rod cut up a near mint 59
Chevy. it was a least a number 2 car, but at least it's a six cylinder 2
door sedan and a Chevy. Damn thing looks almost like a show detailed car
before they cut the roof off. I don't understand why they could not have
started with a rust free tub that at least needed paint and interior. I
hope someone saves all the mint trim off the old gal at least.
--
JP/Maryland
Studebaker On the Net http://stude.com

Wagonmaster

Jul 12, 2005, 1:35:19 AM7/12/05
l couldn't believe he gave $25,000 for that car, nice but not that hard
to find a rust free example, for $7000 or less,
they made many more of those than than 59 Studebakers

Bob Whiten
Wagonmaster
http://community.webtv.net/zzbob/StudebakersandMore

John Poulos

Jul 12, 2005, 9:15:43 AM7/12/05
25K for a body and frame is just nuts, he trashed the rest.

Bigbob62

Jul 12, 2005, 10:07:36 AM7/12/05
Considering he's building that one on assignment and not "speculation",
it isn' this money he's spending, so what does he care? And...the show
fronts him enough money to make all his work and costs negligible
anyway. Too bad they keep tryign to turn it into a melodrama...it COULD
be great concept for a show.

Boyd is such a pompous, egotistical jerk that he doesn' tfeel any car
is worthy of saving unless it's one of HIS hotrods.

Now, you all know that I have no problem cutting up cars and that I"m
no purist, but if I won a Coddington carin a $1 raffle, I'd either sell
it or give it away!

I much prefer Chip Foose's designs, works and cars. Too bad the
producers keep playing up the silly "fool the owner and play phone
pranks" slant...I'd much rather see the technical aspects of the
changeovers than that goofus they have on the phone all the time,
imitating police officers and insurance agents.

It's no wonder that Charlie left Boyd to go to work painting for Chip
Foose...

Bob (OverHaul me anytime!)

Robert Black

Jul 12, 2005, 10:33:28 AM7/12/05
All these shows piss me off,I used to watch Orange County Choppers and
American Hot Rod,but the so called drama od Paul Senior always bitching
about getting the bike done on time and the stuff their building is to far
out for anything but posing.I saw rows of Strecthed custom built choppers at
Laconia all built with S+S engines just like the OCC guys do,front ends way
out there,no front brakes,no rear suspension(rigid),no front fender,A one
ince thick seat on the frame(thats gotta be nice after a 600 mile day(G) and
88k price tags.I don't care if the paint did cost 10k alone and its billet
everything.A motorcycle has to be functional or its not a motorcycle
anymore.Its art mabey,but not real.
"Bigbob62" <bob....@att.net> wrote in message

ddst...@earthlink.net

Jul 12, 2005, 11:00:08 AM7/12/05
>From a marketing standpoint, the show is doing exactly the right
thing. It's the talk of all the auto related news groups. It's the
show everyone loves to hate. Folks will complain about Boyd, his work,
the lack of real car content, the fake drama, etc. and tune in every
week. We may not do the show "exactly that way", but I wonder if we'd
get the same number of viewers (and advertisers).

Misery is optional. I'd rather be playing with Studebakers than
torturing myself with an episode of American Hot Rod.

-Dick-

Jeff DeWitt

Jul 12, 2005, 5:38:07 PM7/12/05
Hey, that thing has as many cylinders as a Geo! <G>

Jeff DeWitt

at Drnec wrote:
> How about this one? Parked outside the hotel in Monterey for the MotoGP
> last weekend - looks like he rode it there.
>
> I want one!

Jeff DeWitt

Jul 12, 2005, 5:42:19 PM7/12/05
I'd still love to see the OCC guys build a Stude themed bike, I bet they
could build something pretty cool.

Lets see, bullet nose under the light (or twin lights with the bullet in
between? Scaled down Hawk fins, a tail light like a finned Hawk,
scallops in the tank like on the doors of a a 52-55...

If the Prize Patrol shows up maybe I'll get it built, and then donate it
to the museum.

Jeff DeWitt

Grumpy AuContraire

Jul 12, 2005, 7:55:18 PM7/12/05
For a minnit, I thought the first picture was of an aircraft radial..

JT

Pat Drnec

Jul 12, 2005, 8:06:21 PM7/12/05
Didn't know if that post showed up - my server is weird, if I post a
picture I can't see the post - though I can see other people's posts
with binaries.

This was an amazing engineering excersize, beautifully executed.

--
Remove all the x's to email.

Treason:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8504290/

1953 Starlight Coupe
1954 Starlight Coupe R1/4-speed
1958 Silver Hawk
1960 Frua Italia Larks (2 - they're here!)
1962 Lark VI
1963 Avanti R2 R4324
1963 Lark Cruiser (R2 3/4 clone in progress)
1963 GT Hawk
1963 Daytona Wagonaire
1964 Cruiser (Survivor)
1956 2E7
2000 Boxster S
2000 Ducati 748
2002 Jeep Overland
2004 Ducati Monster 1000
http://homepage.mac.com/pdrnec/PhotoAlbum81.html

m5pickup

Jul 12, 2005, 9:52:25 PM7/12/05
I swore off watching the show as background while net surfing the other
night. Paul Sr decided to use his Ford Expedition as a battering ram to
destroy the interior walls of OCC's shop as they moved out. By the time he
finished the grille was shot, the hood buckled, and the rear quarters and
tailgate flattened.

I know too many people who could have used that vehicle to earn a living to
enjoy watching it destroyed by an egomaniac for his own pleasure.

John Stine
46 M5 Pickup
63 Lark Custom Sedan

"John Poulos" <ava...@erols.com> wrote in message

Alex M

Jul 12, 2005, 10:15:22 PM7/12/05
My cousin worked for the man who came up with that idea. Not sure how
many they sold. The man died and the new owners are not up to speed yet.

"Pat Drnec" <p...@dxrxnxexc.com> wrote in message

> How about this one? Parked outside the hotel in Monterey for the
> MotoGP
> last weekend - looks like he rode it there.
>
> I want one!
>

> Robert Black wrote:

> --
> Remove all the x's to email.
>
> Treason:
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8504290/
>
> 1953 Starlight Coupe
> 1954 Starlight Coupe R1/4-speed
> 1958 Silver Hawk
> 1960 Frua Italia Larks (2 - they're here!)
> 1962 Lark VI
> 1963 Avanti R2 R4324
> 1963 Lark Cruiser (R2 3/4 clone in progress)
> 1963 GT Hawk
> 1963 Daytona Wagonaire
> 1964 Cruiser (Survivor)
> 1956 2E7
> 2000 Boxster S
> 2000 Ducati 748
> 2002 Jeep Overland
> 2004 Ducati Monster 1000
> http://homepage.mac.com/pdrnec/PhotoAlbum81.html

Pat Drnec

Jul 12, 2005, 10:25:27 PM7/12/05
So where can I get one?

Pat Drnec

Jul 13, 2005, 2:45:25 PM7/13/05
http://www.richmondlabs.com/Automotive/RichmondV8/V8-Links.html

Robert Black

Robert Black

Jul 14, 2005, 6:10:05 PM7/14/05
Cool site,thanks Pat.

"Pat Drnec" <p...@dxrxnxexc.com> wrote in message

Robert Black

Jul 14, 2005, 6:13:47 PM7/14/05
Wonder how a Stude V-8 would work as a dry sump system.You would be flowing
a lot of oil.