Ted & Tomato break their OWN record tonight!

bobcar...@hotmail.com

Oct 8, 2005, 10:57:25 PM10/8/05
Hold on to your shorts, fellers, 'cause this is getting
unbelievable...but it's true!

Tonight (Saturday, October 8, 2005) at The Muncie Dragway, Ted Harbit
and the Stude Tomato bettered last week's 12.994 not once but SEVEN
TIMES!!!

Ted reported a 12 MPH TAIL WIND, which of course really helps with a
boxy 1963 front end. He also said the traction was excellent and the
air was cool and dense; much more so than last week's record 12.994
run. (If you remember, that's the first time he had been under 13
seconds. And if you also remember, last week's Terminal Speed just over
108 MPH was not the best the car has ever done.)

Forget all that 'CAUSE HERE'S WHAT HE DID TONIGHT: (Runs not in order,
but NONE were as "slow" as last week's 12.994!)

12.942 @ 109.55 MPH
12.913 @ 109.07 MPH
12.879 @ 109.01 MPH
12.839 @ 109.62 MPH
12.786 @ 109.71 MPH
12.761 @ 109.99 MPH

AND THE GRAND FINALE:

12.671!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! @ 110.37 MPH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEE-HAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In the 12.6s and over 110 MPH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'way to go, Ted!!!!!!!!!!!!!

transtar60

Oct 8, 2005, 11:01:39 PM10/8/05
Yeah!! Way to go Ted!!!!!!!

zoo...@cox.net

Oct 8, 2005, 11:06:39 PM10/8/05
Well done, Ted! That's cookin'!

Dave's Place

Oct 8, 2005, 11:24:51 PM10/8/05
> 'way to go, Ted!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, boy!

Go, Ted, go!
--
Dave Lester
Dave's Place
See pictures at www.davesplaceinc.com

Jim Caldwell

Oct 9, 2005, 12:03:22 AM10/9/05
Great job Ted!!!!!

Michael - Roseland FL

Oct 9, 2005, 12:57:12 AM10/9/05
Makes me wonder why Brian Wilson wrote a song about a GTO instead of a
Daytona Lark!!

Pat Drnec

Oct 9, 2005, 1:23:00 AM10/9/05
That's amazing - way to go, Ted!

--
Remove all the x's to email.

The only label that fits:
http://www.capitolhillblue.com/artman/publish/article_6966.shtml

"The President is merely the most important among a large number of public
servants. He should be supported or opposed exactly to the degree which is
warranted by his good conduct or bad conduct, his efficiency or
inefficiency in
rendering loyal, able, and disinterested service to the Nation as a whole.
Therefore it is absolutely necessary that there should be full liberty
to tell
the truth about his acts, and this means that it is exactly necessary to
blame
him when he does wrong as to praise him when he does right. Any other
attitude
in an American citizen is both base and servile. To announce that there
must be
no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President,
right
or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally
treasonable to the
American public. Nothing but the truth should be spoken about him or any one
else. But it is even more important to tell the truth, pleasant or
unpleasant,
about him than about any one else."
---Teddy Roosevelt, 1918

1953 Starlight Coupe
1954 Starlight Coupe R1/4-speed
1958 Silver Hawk
1960 Frua Italia Larks (2 - they're here!)
1962 Lark VI
1962 Lark Convertible
1963 Avanti R2 R4324
1963 Lark Cruiser (R2 3/4 clone in progress)
1963 GT Hawk
1963 Daytona Wagonaire
1964 Cruiser (Survivor)
1956 2E7
2004 Porsche Carrera 4S
2000 Ducati 748
2002 Jeep Overland
http://homepage.mac.com/pdrnec/PhotoAlbum81.html

blacklarkviii carolina.rr.com>

Oct 9, 2005, 7:03:33 AM10/9/05
That's pretty good Ted, but when are you going to get serious about this
drag racing stuff ? (G)

Henry

"Pat Drnec" <p...@dxrxnxexc.com> wrote in message

It has removed 65 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!

am not r2

Oct 9, 2005, 8:29:09 AM10/9/05
go ted go, congrats.Rich

Jeff Rice

Oct 9, 2005, 9:10:00 AM10/9/05
As a singular celebration of a fantastic achievement.....
For breakfast this morning I am totally enjoying a hot mug of instant Tomato
soup!
I tip my mug to all you Studebaker racers everywhere!
May your suffering never be in vain!
Congratulations!
Jeff (OK.... So we ran out of milk for my 500 year raisin bran <lol>) Rice

Grumpy AuContraire

Oct 9, 2005, 11:12:34 AM10/9/05
Toss in a short shot of vodka to celebrate yet another outstanding
achievement by another senior citizen...

My question is... Was Ted competing against another or just the clock?

JT

Jeff Rice

Oct 9, 2005, 11:14:56 AM10/9/05
That's brunch <lol>

"Grumpy AuContraire" ...

> Toss in a short shot of vodka to celebrate yet another outstanding
> achievement by another senior citizen...

jfl...@aol.com

Oct 9, 2005, 8:21:36 PM10/9/05
I am totally blown away by the ET and especially the MPH . The R-3 in
the PBW has some catching up to do now. R-2 s are faster than than the
legendary R-3 ? Am I missing something here? Good job Ted as always.

bobcar...@hotmail.com

Oct 9, 2005, 8:58:03 PM10/9/05
R2 versus R3, Tomato vs Plain Brown Wrapper: Check out my lengthy post
as to reasons for the R2 doing so well, and potential for the R3, in
The SDC Forum, "General Studebaker Discussion," same Topic/Thread name
as here.

Ted says raw horsepower determines Terminal Speed. So far, The Tomato's
best terminal speed is over one MPH slower than The Plain Brown
Wrapper's best. BP

John Poulos

Oct 9, 2005, 9:38:07 PM10/9/05
The R3 was faster even without the tail wind. No question Ted is
doing some amazing work with a R2, but even he would tell you given the
tailwind,cool weather and sticky track, the R3 Brown wrapper would have
put up some big numbers too.

--
JP/Maryland
Studebaker On the Net http://stude.com

tedh...@aol.com

Oct 9, 2005, 11:16:04 PM10/9/05

The R 3 PBW has run almost 112 mph so it is definitely putting out more
hp than the R 2 Tomato since it normally runs around 108. It might
have been even more fun to have had the PBW there last night. I don't
know if it would have had the 60' times the Tomato did since it has
more power, it might have been more difficult to get those 60' foot
times without spinning too much.

If I had to guess what the PBW would have turned, I would say about
12.30's! I say this because the PBW normally turns about four tenths
quicker than the Tomato so only three tenths would have put it at a
best of 12.37 with a mph of ?? 114??

I know the Tomato sure got a lot of attention turning consistently in
the 12's on street tires. A few of the regulars had a little trouble
convincing some of the newer attendies it was Studebaker powered and I
had to open the hood a few times to prove to some of them it was a
Studebaker engine.

Ted

John Poulos

Oct 9, 2005, 11:22:36 PM10/9/05
The thing that still gets me, is the fact that the Avanti powered
Studebakers never make the any of "Fastest Muscle car list" I saw a top
50 list where your car would have been in the top five, but no
Studebakers listed even at the bottom of the list with the 15 second
E.T. cars. List here:

http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclecars/general/musclecars-50fast.shtml

Alex Magdaleno

Oct 9, 2005, 11:38:29 PM10/9/05
Ted should sign up and join the group. He certainly is qualified.

"John Poulos" <ava...@erols.com> wrote in message

jfl...@aol.com

Oct 10, 2005, 6:43:10 AM10/10/05
John,
There is a very good reason for that. Have any of us on the newsgroup
got any magazines with a roadtest with a Studebaker even breaking into
the the high 14's ? If they do I would like to read the article. The
top 50 list is nothing but a collection of old magazine roadtests with
the best recorded time for that particular model listed.
Let us be honest here. The Tomato has a blower that is putting out
more boost than they were delivered from the factory with. The exhaust
system is bigger, with 2 1/2" pipe, R-3 headers, better
mufflers.Better tires than 1963.Hurst shifter,as opposed to the sloppy
factory shifter.Some ignition mods allowed by the rules.The car has
obviously been tuned by the best studebaker minds ever. With plenty of
practice sessions to get it dialed in correctly.
A stock R-2 Lark as delivered to a magazine for testing wouldn't
come close. Also the road testers wouldn't have the car in their
posession long enough to test and tune it .Would some of the magazine
hot shoes even know where to start with it ?

Craig Parslow

Oct 10, 2005, 6:44:14 PM10/10/05

<tedh...@aol.com> wrote in message

> bobcar...@hotmail.com wrote:
>> R2 versus R3, Tomato vs Plain Brown Wrapper: Check out my lengthy post
>> as to reasons for the R2 doing so well, and potential for the R3, in
>> The SDC Forum, "General Studebaker Discussion," same Topic/Thread name
>> as here.
>>
>> Ted says raw horsepower determines Terminal Speed. So far, The Tomato's
>> best terminal speed is over one MPH slower than The Plain Brown
>> Wrapper's best. BP

Damn shame its not 1963 once more! <g> Wish Eugene Hardig was still alive
to see all this!!

Craig.

tedh...@aol.com

Oct 10, 2005, 8:57:21 PM10/10/05
Hot Rod did a test with an R 3 Avanti sometime around '63. I'll find
out exactly the year and month it appeared. As I recall, it ran the
quarter in about 13.7 so why it was left out?????

Ted

bobcar...@hotmail.com

Oct 10, 2005, 9:03:29 PM10/10/05
I trust that was a rhetorical question, Ted, since you already know the
answer! <G> Bob

tedh...@aol.com

Oct 10, 2005, 9:12:39 PM10/10/05
Both. In time trials it was mainly the clock as we're always trying to
see what works as far as launch, rpm shift, how any changes such as
timing, jetting, etc., work.

In eliminations it's against the other car. We got down to the ladder
sheet in the fourth round and the guy I drew wanted the same lane as I
was running so we flipped for it and he won the flip so we had to run
the other lane and guys had told me this lane was not as good as the
one I had run all night. So I raised the dial to 12.78 and lowered the
launch rpm and it bogged bad and only ran 12.91.

Ted

Grumpy AuContraire

Oct 10, 2005, 10:04:19 PM10/10/05

Blatent discrimination??

<G>

JT

jfl...@aol.com

Oct 11, 2005, 9:06:19 PM10/11/05
Ted,
I did the research. You were right . There is one roadtest of an R-3
Avanti in Hotrod from 1963. I can't tell what month. It is in a
compilation book that I bought in 1985 called Muscle car Classics
collectors issue.
The car is a proto-type R-3 Avanti fitted with a, get this...
4.89:1 rear axle ratio.It ran 13.71 @ 107.78. this was recorded at
Pomaona. The engine was over 7000 rpm at the end of the track. Way past
its power peak. It threw the alternator belt which caused the blower
belt tensioner to break. It originally had 4.09s in it when received
from the factory.
The R-2 test was with a 4 speed and 3.73 gears it ran 16.0 at 90
mph.

There were only 9 R-3 Avantis produced by the factory. There was
1 R-3 Commander , Nels Bove's car. There was only 1 R-4 Commander
convertible built . Only 11 R-3,- R-4 cars built total. I am a dyed in
the wool Stude fan , but honestly does 10 R-3's and 1 R-4 make these
factory production cars ? Before I get totally abused for stating some
facts, remember this. Any sanctioning body of racing would require more
than at least 50 cars be made available before they could be considered
a production car. Studebaker wasn't even close. Also Horsepower and
torque figures would need to be released. Stude wasn't very cooperative
in that department either. R-1 and R-2 published figures vary. The NHRA
would put an R-2-3 into a blown gas class where it wouldn't be
competitive anyway.
Would I like to own an R-3 ? Hell yeah ! Do I consider it a
production car ? Yes, it was available, but to who and for how long, I
don't know. But according to the criteria that all of the
manufacturers had to comply with the car was a flash in the pan.
Another example , the ZL-1 Corvette. There were 2 made. Was that a
production car ? Well it wasn't on the 50 fastest list. The ZL-1 Camaro
was, why ? They made more than 50.
I don't think the AC Cobra belongs on the list. Why? The car was
built in England, then shipped to someones shop in the USA where they
installed a different manufacturers engine and trans in it. It wasn't
installed at a factory , it was retrofitted. This is not a production
car in my opinion . It was never designed in the 1st place to be
powered by a ford 289, much less a 427. At least the R-3 stude was
done all "in-house" and they wanted to build more. It just didn't work
out that way.
Too bad you weren't on the Studebaker payroll back in 1963 Ted.
Maybe things would of worked out differently. He who exalts himself
shall be humbled, especially at the drag strip, and he who humbles
himself shall be exalted.
Ted , you deserve all the praise you get. That was one hell of a
feat, and I don't think you are done yet.
Another saying comes to mind. The older a man gets, the faster he
ran as a boy. Only in your case, The older this man gets the faster his
cars run than when he was a boy. Best of luck and health to you in the
future. Keep up the great work. Joe

jfl...@aol.com

Oct 11, 2005, 9:06:59 PM10/11/05

John Poulos

Oct 11, 2005, 9:31:02 PM10/11/05
Forget the R3's, the R2's are faster then many of the cars on the
list and didn't we have a R1 run in the 14's at the PSMCD.

bobcar...@hotmail.com

Oct 11, 2005, 11:13:57 PM10/11/05
Oh, yes, John:

Richard Poe's R1 ran ALL SEVEN OF ITS RUNS in the 14s!!! No more 15s
for Richard!

His runs, in order, over the event's two days:

14.354
14.520
14.601
14.278
14.989
14.353
14.794

That's a SMOKIN' R1! His slowest terminal speed was 94.57 MPH and his
fastest was 96.56.

Or look at it this way: The first year we took the R3 Plain Brown
Wrapper to The Pure Stock Drags, its best time was 13.39 (yes, Ted was
driving). So Richard Poe's R1 has been tuned and his driving has been
honed to such an extent that it is only .888 of a second slower than
was the R3 -the R3, mind you- the first time out!!!

THAT is quite an R1 accomplishment! BP

jfl...@aol.com

Oct 12, 2005, 5:38:37 AM10/12/05
John,
The R-2's would of made the list if they were turning in the 13's back
in 1963. They weren't. Like I stated before, There is no published test
of an R-2 in anything turning those kind of times.
What we have with the PSMCD's is revisionist history,or Monday
Morning quarterbacking. All of the Studes in contention are in their
highest state of tune. Some of the components necessary for those time
slips generated did not exist in 1963 . E.G. Ted's 2
-1/2"exhaust system with hi performance mufflers. Try putting the stock
R-2 manifolds and small tube exhaust with its 1 7/8" tail pipes and
stock mufflers with the bias ply tires on it and see what it turns.
Also put an un- tweaked blower on it with the standard drive pulleys
and see what happens.
The best thing about the PSMCD's is that it showcases the raw
potential that a Stude had back in 1963. It just took Ted and company
to lay it out there for everyone to see.
I will be attending a Factory Appearing Stock Tire drag meet at
Englishtown on Nov 12. Also referred to as FAST. I have only 3 passes
on my car and I still haven't broken out of the 15's with it yet.
According to the roadtests of an R-2 Lark from 1963 the car would turn
around 15.8. I'll be reinstalling the 3.73s for the meet. It ran 15.3
with 3.07's in it last time out .That was with a fuel delivery problem
as well. It only pulled to redline in the 1st 2 gears.
I don't want to just talk and argue studebaker performance
history, I want to go out and make some of my own.