my first stude!

1 view

Deliriouskt

Nov 30, 2003, 5:13:24 PM11/30/03

Hi guys. Well I just got what could be considered my fist studebaker (or
the remains of one). It is a '50 4-door champion. The body is pretty well
rusted, but hey I was practically given it so I can't complain,has been
sitting for quite some time outside and this week on a day off from
college I will be trying to extract it from where it has set since the
late 70's. I have a couple questions about on extracting it: A) in which
position is the shifter in neutual? Is it the "standard" 3-on-the-tree
pattern? B) considering the frame is a unknown quanity, which end would be
better to pull on to extract it from it's resting spot. I will be using
our farm tractor with loader to remove it.

I know this is rough, but I really hope to preserve what I have, as this
car was in my family and it has quite a senitimental value attached, and
I'm hoping some it it will prove useful for a project. I'll give the group
a update when I get it out!
Thanks & God Bless, Kent

Sonny

Nov 30, 2003, 6:25:31 PM11/30/03
Hey! Glad you found us Kent! It sounds like you live in the rust belt
somewhere, but I understand the sentimental part. It's kinda of tough to
explain what the right position for neutral is. It should be the standard 3
on the tree. It's "about" the same for all of them, if you look at the wheel
as a clock, the position of the shifter should be at about 2 to 2:30
o'clock. You should be able to move the shifter fairly easily when you pull
it towards you or push it away from you. Whew, can't believe it's so hard to
describe! <LOL> Isn't there someone around who can give you a hand with it?

As far as extracting it, what position is it in? I mean, can you get to it
only from the side, back? If it's just the side, you can pick the car up if
you support the frame right behind the front wheel and in front of the rear
wheel. Do not let it hang from just one end, support it evenly at all times
if you can. It doesn't matter which end that you pull it from, but I would
hook to the rearend from the back, or the heavy front crossmember from the
front.

In any event, lots of parts are still available for that car, frame on up. I
have a '50, but it's a 2 door, and it's a pretty simple car to work on. If
you look closely, the quarters are a big part of the body and they are
bolted on,and the front end disassembles in big chunks too.

I hope that you have enough for a project, if not, I'm betting all of us
here can come up with the pieces that you will need. Congratulations on your
first Studebaker Kent, welcome to this place, and please visit this place as
soon as you can...... http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com I hope we can
talk you into joining the national organization and a local chapter if you
have one. We get the great monthly magazine Turning Wheels with our
membership in the Studebaker Drivers Club. It can also be a big help with
your project.

Sonny

"Deliriouskt" <AgParts_at_ho...@foo.com> wrote in message

bob40

Nov 30, 2003, 6:39:16 PM11/30/03
Congrats on your new prize. I would just add a word of caution that if it
has been sitting since the '70's there is a fair to middling chance if it's
in a gear it can be stuck in that gear(BTDT).The caution comes into play
when if that is the case it gets tempting to lift the car up and try and
hammer the linkage into neutral.There have been a few posts here about cars
breaking in half so be very wary. Use jackstands before any attempt to work
underneath.

NetMaster

Nov 30, 2003, 6:43:36 PM11/30/03

Sonny

Nov 30, 2003, 6:55:37 PM11/30/03
Since it IS the holidays, I won't say exactly what I'm really thinking. I
will say, don't ever spam here again, and especially not using my part of
the thread.....

Sonny

"NetMaster" <beta-fish-net@insightbb-REMOVE_THIS-.com> <posted>

<BIG snipper>

Nothing but spam

barry

Nov 30, 2003, 8:39:57 PM11/30/03
The position the trans is in is a moot point since the brakes will all be
locked anyway....
"bob40" <rrei...@citlink.net> wrote in message

Kent Fedor

Dec 1, 2003, 12:51:21 AM12/1/03
Thanks Sonny for the help.
Yes I have been a member of SDC for two years since I was 17. I am 19
now. I can get the car from either end, so hopefully it won't be too
hard to get out. I just hope it dosen't do what I've seen some
pictures of larks do-fold in the middle. Yep, I'm sure in the rust
belt here in mid-michigan (exactly 187 miles straight north of South
Bend- I know as I make the trip to south bend often to visit my
cousins). My parents grew up in South Bend, and my Dad, as one of his
first jobs when he was 17 worked briefly in the Studebaker foundry.
Several of my relitives worked for Studebaker or one of the
stude-suppliers there in SB. Most people would easily junk out this
(ok, really a rust bucket) '50 champion, but It's THE car that has
sentimental value attached to it. Thanks and I'll give updates along
the way. I just couldn't get into my usual neswgroup service, so I had
to post this through google groups, hence the different username.
God Bless,
Kent Fedor
E-mail: AgP...@Hot-mail.com (remove the dash to email me)

Sonny

Dec 1, 2003, 1:05:16 PM12/1/03
No problem, anytime on the help partner. It's great to hear that we have
another Studebaker family from way back! I think Barry mentioned, and I back
him 100% on it, the wheels probably won't turn if it's been sitting. That
will be a big pain in the butt, and you need a real heavy, three legged
puller to get the hubs off. It's been a two day job on some old Studes in
the past for me. We'll be right here though so don't be afraid to ask if and
when you need help, there's hundreds of years of experience to tap into at
this place.

If you can reach it easily, I'd definitely pull it from the rear. Put the
chain on the rear end, it's probably the strongest place to put it to pull.
You can use the real heavy crossmember in the front but, (I suspect because
the wheels won't turn), you might bend something up there. I've seen even
that heavy steel crossmember damaged. But you have to do what you have to do
to get it where you need it.

I'm with you, I'd be trying to fix your car, for those sentimental reasons,
and like I said, you can find every single piece fairly easily. Thanks in
advance for keeping us updated on your project.

Sonny

"Kent Fedor" <rchome...@hotmail.com> wrote in message