Missing Gas Tube Anti-evap Flap ?

SentraMench

Jun 15, 2010, 11:06:52 AM6/15/10
Do Nissan Versa's have the round silver flap in the gas filler
tube that springs back up after you pull the gas nozzle out ? I
noticed there wasn't one on my 2009 Versa last time I got gas.
Thought there used to be one there.

Car runs fine, no codes.

What would the repair involve? Not removing gas tank, I hope.

Thanks

Peter Hill

Jun 15, 2010, 12:50:06 PM6/15/10

It's not really to stop evaporation, there's a direct connection to
space between flap and cap though the vent tube anyway. It's to stop
you sticking a LEADED nozzle in and filling up with LEADED.
--
Peter Hill
Spamtrap reply domain as per NNTP-Posting-Host in header

C. E. White

Jun 15, 2010, 1:02:19 PM6/15/10

"Peter Hill" <peter....@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 08:06:52 -0700 (PDT), SentraMench
> <user1...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> Do Nissan Versa's have the round silver flap in the gas filler
>>tube that springs back up after you pull the gas nozzle out ? I
>>noticed there wasn't one on my 2009 Versa last time I got gas.
>>Thought there used to be one there.
>>
>>Car runs fine, no codes.
>>
>>What would the repair involve? Not removing gas tank, I hope.
>>

>>Thanks
>
> It's not really to stop evaporation, there's a direct connection to
> space between flap and cap though the vent tube anyway. It's to stop
> you sticking a LEADED nozzle in and filling up with LEADED.

You are mostly correct, but the flap is only useful when combined with
the restrictive hole in the filler pipe. There is an insert in the
filler pipe that has a hole that is designed to exclude leaded fuel
nozzles (leaded nozzles ae too big to fit in the hole). The insert is
down in the pipe, leaving clearance for the fuel cap to screw into the
top of the pipe. The flap keeps you from circumventing the restrictive
hole. If you didn't have the flap, you could just hold the large
nozzle in the pipe and let the fuel drain past the restrictive hole in
the the insert.

Ed