Sentra 2001 1.8 engine

Dave C.

Jun 9, 2010, 8:55:44 PM6/9/10
My daughter has a 2001 Nissan Sentra with the 1.8L engine. Does this
engine have a timing belt or timing chain? The concern is that if it
is a belt, it should be replaced soon (100,000+ miles).

And, is it the design such that if has a belt and the belt fails, the
engine does not get damaged (destroyed)?

Thanks,

Dave C.

Me

Jun 9, 2010, 11:44:34 PM6/9/10

If it's the QG18DE engine, then it's a chain, not a belt.

Dave C.

Jun 11, 2010, 9:07:57 AM6/11/10

I called my daughter to see if she can check which engine she has
(labels under the hood or whatever documentation she might have) or at
her convenience check with a dealer.

Thanks,

Dave C.

E. Meyer

Jun 11, 2010, 9:42:16 AM6/11/10
On 6/11/10 8:07 AM, in article
c3141545-c2fd-4b49...@y4g2000yqy.googlegroups.com, "Dave C."
<carda...@c4.net> wrote:

You don't need to do that much research. All Nissan 4 cylinder engines
since about 1990 use timing chains. The last belt they used was in the
first version of the V6 quest minivan and that is now a chain as well.

Dave C.

Jun 11, 2010, 3:25:16 PM6/11/10
On Jun 11, 9:42 am, "E. Meyer" <epmeye...@msn.com> wrote:
> On 6/11/10 8:07 AM, in article
> c3141545-c2fd-4b49-9c55-271b0a36b...@y4g2000yqy.googlegroups.com, "Dave C."

Thanks, that is very helpful and puts our minds at ease.

Thanks again for the information.

Best regards,

Dave (and Andrea) C.