Good replacement for 99 Sentra SE limited edition?

DanielleOM

Dec 23, 2010, 2:06:29 PM12/23/10

Finding a good replacement for 99 Sentra SE LTD manual transmission car has
not been easy. I am not seeing much out there where I can get all of the
same features without going to larger engine.

Danielle

NissTech

Dec 26, 2010, 9:41:29 AM12/26/10
I've got and idea...

Why don't you just fix the one you have
"DanielleOM" <danie...@reply.to.group.com> wrote in message

DanielleOM

Dec 27, 2010, 1:30:14 PM12/27/10

Some how fixing the old one keeps happening by default.

I have driven the 2010 Mazda 3 S sedan, a 2010 Honda Civic LX sedan, a 2010
Nissan Sentra 2.0, & a 2011 Hyudai Elantra (GLS). I finish the test drive,
climb back into my 99 Sentra SE LTD and think this car really performs and
handles very well.

Can no longer get cruise control with a manual transmission Sentra unless
you jump up the Spec V.

My Sentra has 208,000 miles on it, but I hear that's not a lot for that
engine. I have quite a bit of rust behind the rear wheels. There's those
unexplained intermittant noises. With the rust, I lost a piece of that
bottom plastic trim under the driver's side rear door. Headlamps look
yellow and are no longer clear. The catalytic converter flange is bent
severely. I have the original clutch with no signs of problems.

Danielle

codifus

Jan 3, 2011, 4:23:34 PM1/3/11
On Dec 27 2010, 1:30 pm, "DanielleOM" <daniell...@reply.to.group.com>
wrote:

> Some how fixing the old one keeps happening by default.
>
> I have driven the 2010 Mazda 3 S sedan, a 2010 Honda Civic LX sedan, a 2010
> Nissan Sentra 2.0, & a 2011 Hyudai Elantra (GLS).  I finish the test drive,
> climb back into my 99 Sentra SE LTD and think this car really performs and
> handles very well.
>
> Can no longer get cruise control with a manual transmission Sentra unless
> you jump up the Spec V.
>
> My Sentra has 208,000 miles on it, but I hear that's not a lot for that
> engine.  I have quite a bit of rust behind the rear wheels.  There's those
> unexplained intermittant noises.  With the rust, I lost a piece of that
> bottom plastic trim under the driver's side rear door.  Headlamps look
> yellow and are no longer clear.  The catalytic converter flange is bent
> severely.  I have the original clutch with no signs of problems.
>
> Danielle
>
> NissTech wrote:
> > I've got and idea...
>
> > Why don't you just fix the one you have
> > "DanielleOM" <daniell...@reply.to.group.com> wrote in message

> >> Finding a good replacement for 99 Sentra SE LTD manual transmission
> >> car has not been easy.  I am not seeing much out there where I can
> >> get all of the same features without going to larger engine.
>
> >> Danielle

The cat converter flange can be easily bent back or replaced with
another piece by any exhaust mechanic.
The headlights can be re-invigorated by doing these 2 things;

1. Replace the bulbs. Halogen headlights get weaker as they age and
take on a yellowish look.
2. Polish your plastic headlight lenses.
http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Professional-Headlight-Restoration-Kit/dp/B002L3Z5WC

Can't help much with rust.

If the clutch is still good then that's a strong argument to keep it.

Newer cars are get bigger more powerful engines, but they also got
bigger, more spacious bodies, bigger wheels etc. The power increase
doesn't translate to as much of a performance boost as you would think
compared to previous generations because everything else got bigger as
well.

CD