Where is Neutral Safety Switch 96 Sentra?

SentraMench

May 10, 2010, 10:46:01 AM5/10/10

My 96 Sentra with auto trans sometimes does not crank, when in
Park, but will crank if you move it to neutral. I'm trying to find
the "neutral safety switch" or the "park/neutral switch". I looked
under the trans and see there are 3 wires going into it. But I cannot
see anything moving on the trans as I shift the gear selector through
the gears.

Could the switch be inside the shifter console inside the car ?

Thanks

willshak

May 10, 2010, 10:54:58 AM5/10/10
SentraMench wrote the following:

Probably. That's where the switch was on one of my automatics. It turned
out to be a quarter (25 cent piece) that fell in there.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Striker

May 10, 2010, 4:17:33 PM5/10/10
Try This.....
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Sentra/
Factory Service Manuals in .pdf
Includes year 96

Striker

"SentraMench" <user1...@aol.com> wrote in message

NissTech

May 10, 2010, 9:15:14 PM5/10/10
it's called an inhibitor switch, it's located on the outside of the
transmission.

follow the shifter cable to the transmission and you'll see it

SentraMench

May 11, 2010, 1:19:14 PM5/11/10
On May 10, 9:15 pm, "NissTech" <mikeh...@msn.com> wrote:
> it's called an inhibitor switch, it's located on the outside of the
> transmission.
>
> follow the shifter cable to the transmission and you'll see it"

Thanks for the info, everyone. I'll go out and look at it again and
see if I see something new that I missed before. And yes, a quarter
did fall into the console once in this car !

SentraMench

SentraMench

Jun 7, 2010, 9:47:48 AM6/7/10
I got the console out, and found the quarter in there, but it
wasn't affecting anything. I'm 25 cents richer now. I also found the
inhibitor switch on the trans by having the gf move the gear selector
around as I watched the levers. Thanks, NissTech.