2003 Altima Rear Wheel Seal

abbyguy

Apr 24, 2010, 11:48:30 AM4/24/10
to coli...@shaw.ca
I took my car in for service; oil and filter only. I was told the
right rear wheel seal was leaking. I don't think there is a rear
wheel seal. There is no rear axle on the vehicle. I can understand
having a rear wheel seal when there is a rear end differential. Is
this report of a leaking rear wheel seal bogus?

willshak

Apr 24, 2010, 4:05:39 PM4/24/10
abbyguy wrote the following:
Don't know anything about a 2003 Altima, but every moving part of the
drive system has some type of lubricant, especially wheels and axles.
Even though an axle does not extend from wheel to wheel, here is an axle
within the individual wheel.
Get an independent opinion.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

John Henderson

Apr 24, 2010, 4:41:37 PM4/24/10
abbyguy wrote:

There'll be a stub axle with an inner and outer bearing, each
packed with grease. And an inner grease seal.

John

Jim Yanik

Apr 24, 2010, 8:33:44 PM4/24/10
willshak <will...@00hvc.rr.com> wrote in

> abbyguy wrote the following:
>> I took my car in for service; oil and filter only. I was told the
>> right rear wheel seal was leaking. I don't think there is a rear
>> wheel seal. There is no rear axle on the vehicle. I can understand
>> having a rear wheel seal when there is a rear end differential. Is
>> this report of a leaking rear wheel seal bogus?
>>

> Don't know anything about a 2003 Altima, but every moving part of the
> drive system has some type of lubricant, especially wheels and axles.
> Even though an axle does not extend from wheel to wheel, here is an axle
> within the individual wheel.
> Get an independent opinion.

the rear wheel-HUBS have sealed bearings in them,and they DO leak and then
the bearings wear out.It happened on my 2003 Sentra.

Your Altima's wheel hub is probably a "replace the entire hub assembly"
type like mine was,no pressing in new bearings and/or repacking the
bearings.

Of course,it's more expensive that way.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

NissTech

Apr 25, 2010, 7:58:02 PM4/25/10
wrong ....

Jim Yanik has the correct answer..

Thanks for playing John, better luck next time

"John Henderson" <jhenRem...@talk21.com> wrote in message