2002 Pathfinder Cooling System Change

1 view

hr(bob) hofmann@att.net

Nov 8, 2010, 9:30:23 PM11/8/10
I tried to find a radiator drain cock for my 2002 Pathfinder. Finally
gave up and inserted a small diameter4' long tube into the radiator
cap and snaked it back toward the firewall and got about 3/4 gallon of
old antifreeze/water out. Replaced it with a 50-50 mix of new
antifreeze and water and put more of the same into the overflow
reservoir. never did find anything looking like a drain cock or plug,
and got tired of scooting around on my backside under the front of the
vehicle.

Can anyone tell me the actual factory-recommended method of changing
the antifreeze/water mix in the cooling system?

willshak

Nov 9, 2010, 8:04:26 AM11/9/10
hr(bob) hof...@att.net wrote the following:

> I tried to find a radiator drain cock for my 2002 Pathfinder.

There is no 'drain cock'. It is a screw-in plug.
Look at the bottom back side of the radiator on the driver's side. There
is a white plastic plug with 'butterfly' wings that unscrews.
here's a pic of the plug.
http://www.autopartsnetwork.com/search/?c=&q=Radiator&filter=brand%3AOhno_

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

E. Meyer

Nov 9, 2010, 8:13:11 AM11/9/10
On 11/8/10 8:30 PM, in article
da491799-4536-4140...@j2g2000yqf.googlegroups.com, "hr(bob)
hof...@att.net" <hrho...@att.net> wrote:

The drain cock is there (unless you have an aftermarket radiator?). Look on
the back side of the radiator near the corner just above a flat metal brace
that runs under the radiator. I don't remember which side, but it is
obvious once you know to look above the brace.

It does not have a protruding handle, but rather a plastic screw flush with
the hole. The less messy way to drain it is to first remove that deftly
placed brace.

For future reference - the preferred method of draining this radiator is of
course through the drain plug. If you ever are faced with a radiator that
does not have a drain (some domestic cars are like that), the preferred
method is to remove the bottom radiator hose at the radiator.

E. Meyer

Nov 9, 2010, 8:22:12 AM11/9/10

Bill,

The stock plug, at least the one that came from Japan on my '02, does not
have the butterfly wings. Its head is flush in the hole with an X pattern
slot for a screwdriver. Just to make it harder to find, the factory plug on
my '02 also has a black head.

On 11/9/10 7:04 AM, in article
BpOdnbE0iYJK20TR...@supernews.com, "willshak"

willshak

Nov 9, 2010, 8:30:08 AM11/9/10
E. Meyer wrote the following:

> Bill,
>
> The stock plug, at least the one that came from Japan on my '02, does not
> have the butterfly wings. Its head is flush in the hole with an X pattern
> slot for a screwdriver. Just to make it harder to find, the factory plug on
> my '02 also has a black head.

I stand corrected. Thanks.