focus 2000 ignition problem

Casemann27

Aug 11, 2004, 7:54:21 PM8/11/04
Does anyone know of a class action suit to get involved with on this issue.
I am paying out 600.00 today for the same thing. Ford tells me that this is
not their problem becuase its considered normal wear. Any suggestions?

Dave Gower

Aug 11, 2004, 11:34:21 PM8/11/04

"Casemann27" <casem...@aol.com> wrote in message

Yeah. Be more specific. By "ignition" do you mean ignition switch? If so you
are paying way too much. Mine cost $250 Canadian.

As to a class action suit, once your warrantee is expired, you pay the
repairs. That's what you signed on your sales contract, and it will hold up
in any court.

HbgpodLW

Aug 12, 2004, 12:07:37 AM8/12/04

>Does anyone know of a class action suit to get involved with on this issue.
>I am paying out 600.00 today for the same thing. Ford tells me that this is
>not their problem becuase its considered normal wear. Any suggestions?

I would suggest talking to an attorney that deals with product liability
background. If I assume you're in the USA it wouldn't be too hard to find a
good lawyer to consider it as there are lots of victims out there. That was
about the only problem I didn't have with my 2000 wagon...but I've seen lots on
here. You must complain and send letters to any agency involved. If no one ever
does anything nothing will ever get done. I wonder if the other car makers
would consider four years to failure to be "normal wear" ? I've had cars for
MANY more years and none of this bullshit. Good luck... Linda
(PS - my other cars were (90% of them) Fords so I won't buy that argument from
them...and I carry a minimum of keys on my key ring!)

Dave Gower

Aug 12, 2004, 7:54:19 AM8/12/04

"HbgpodLW" <hbgp...@aol.com> wrote

> I've seen lots on here.

I doubt that. I have had an ignition lock problem, and I'm sure there are a
few others, but most of the recent mentions have been from one lying troll,
who I recently unmasked. I see no evidence that this is a particularly
common problem.

A number of years ago there was a bit brew about Ford ignition switches that
would overheat and catch fire when the vehicle was left overnight. There was
talk about class-action suits then too. But for all the fuss, the actual
number of proven cases of damage was very small. Rumours spread fast,
particularly when people smell money.

Ford has a good track record of dealing with defects on early North American
Foci, including the special ten-year warrantee extension on fuel pumps. If
there was a significant problem with ignition locks, they would have covered
this too.

Eight Ball

Aug 12, 2004, 10:22:11 AM8/12/04
Very Interesting , what lying troll is that "Shylock". You recently
unmasked? - give every one a break. Who elected you the newsgroup cop???

You sure like to demonize or run down any poster to this group who says
anything bad about Ford, why is that?

Could it be that you are a troll, you only respond when some post is
detrimental to the Focus so you respond to minimize any concerns. Or could
it be you are a person who buys a car, has a lot of problems with it and
cannot bring themselves to face the fact that they made a mistake in buying
it. So they keep professing that there is nothing wrong with these cars.

If you knew anything about Ford Focus cars, (I doubt if you are in the
automotive business), you would be aware that the ignition lock failures are
a very common problem on 2000-2002 Focus cars, as well as the DPFE sensor,
water leaks into the car through the cabin filter moulding etc etc.
Ford will not recall the Focus for the ignition lock because it is not a
safety problem - go figure.

The dealers are very aware of it.

Ford does not! have a very good track record of dealing with defects on
Ford Focus cars period. In 2001, for over a year they denied that there was
a problem with rear brakes squealing, or the premature wear out of front
disc pads. Ford customer service , when called, will still say that they
have never heard of any ignition lock up problems with the 2000-2001 Ford
Focus or any other problems. And the warrantee with the fuel pump is
misleading!
Ford will only replace it once. So if the fuel pump is replaced in the 10
year period and packs in later, the owner now pays for a new one.

For those of you who would like to find out about the "this is not a common
problem", a web site you might want to check is
http://www.focaljet.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php and run a search on
ignition lock problems and any other problems. This web site is all about
the Ford Focus and has may postings on problems with the Ford Focus as well
as some of the good things, accessories and add ons..

Not a Troll, never been one and never will.

"Dave Gower" <davegow.r...@magma.ca> wrote in message

Dave Gower

Aug 12, 2004, 11:29:06 AM8/12/04

"Eight Ball" <poo...@yahoo.ca> wrote in message

> You sure like to demonize or run down any poster to this group who says
> anything bad about Ford, why is that?
>
> Could it be that you are a troll,

Well for one, I post under my own name, rather than hide behind an alias.
And no, if you look back you will see that I do not run down every
complainer. Many complaints are legitimate, and at times I have been one,
and that's what this newsgroup is for. Our lying troll frequently uses free
or cheap services like Yahoo, and often comes on strong like this.
Furthermore, he often chooses a new alias, which have no previous newsgroup
posts on a Google groups search. Like yours. Hmmm...

HbgpodLW

Aug 13, 2004, 1:14:07 AM8/13/04

>The ignition switch problem is well known.
>
>Rob

I agree with you and since it can be a real pain when it does happen I
consider it a safety issue. Just waiting for a lawyer to get the right case
concerning it and it will be front page news! Just like the gas tanks in the
Pintos. I owned one and drove it but always kept one eye on my rear view
mirror...and my boyfriend put a big sticker on back that said "Explodes on
Impact". Stopped the tailgaters in Detroit... Linda

BubbaG

Aug 15, 2004, 12:10:12 PM8/15/04
Mine has gone out twice on my 2000 Focus. 25 months after I bought it, 25
months after having it replaced.

My tow truck driver said it seems to be a common problem among Focus and
Contour. Known issue was the response from my service manager at the
Dealer.

BubbaG

Aug 16, 2004, 4:28:59 PM8/16/04
Call Ford Consumer Relations and overwhelm them with complaints:

800-392-3673

Also go to:
www.nhtsa.dot.gov

Dave Gower

Aug 17, 2004, 11:48:19 AM8/17/04

"BubbaG" <an...@nospam.yourweb.com> wrote in message

> Call Ford Consumer Relations and overwhelm them with complaints:

You and "Caseman27" and "Eight Ball"? You'd better use your real names when
you do - if they are in fact different.

HbgpodLW

Aug 17, 2004, 2:44:03 PM8/17/04
I don't know how long you've been reading the newsgroup but I do know that
more than one or even three people have complained about the ignition. I also
know they replaced my whole ignition switch when all I had complained about was
that the ring around the ignition would stick in and cause the bell to chime
AFTER I took out the keys...not a failure but a pain...
and it probably saved them from having to tow my car in when it would fail
eventually.
I had a 2000 Focus wagon that had numerous faults but I still bought a 2003
ZX5...and I still love it - so far. Linda

BubbaG

Aug 18, 2004, 2:38:45 PM8/18/04
The first time under warranty they replaced the cylinder. Now that it's not
under warranty, they are attempting to charge $418.

I have no problem with wear and tear. But twice in 4 years is too much for
something like this. They know it's a problem, a common one, they replaced
the switch in the 2004.

I have consulted with an attorney who suggested the first course of
action. File complaints, and tell them you have collected enough evidence
that the problem is widespread and you will consult with an attorney.

Call Ford Consumer Relations and overwhelm them with complaints:

800-392-3673

Also go to: www.nhtsa.dot.gov

And for you cynics who think that if someone dispenses sound advice they
must be posting under different names, here's my real name.

Andrew Shubert
Los Angeles, CA

Dave Gower

Aug 21, 2004, 11:48:15 AM8/21/04

"HbgpodLW" <hbgp...@aol.com> wrote

<... Just like the gas tanks in the Pintos.

Burning to death is "just like" having to call a tow truck? You've been
watching too many soap operas.

HbgpodLW

Aug 22, 2004, 12:06:39 AM8/22/04

Uhhh...the only exploding Pintos were the ones hit while at a dead stop by a
van doing 60 mph...and in the travel lane of a freeway. I've always had the
SENSE to get my car off the road or get out of the car.
Actually I think it's Darwinism at work...
I never had any kind of problem with my Pinto pony except for a leaking seal on
the hatchback... Linda

HbgpodLW

Aug 22, 2004, 12:21:11 AM8/22/04
>>Burning to death is "just like" having to call a tow truck? You've been
>>watching too many soap operas.

Since I have no idea where you live but there are some places I wouldn't have
wanted my car to break down..."Call" a tow truck ??? I drive in some remote
areas of PA. now where there are no people or cell phone service much less
having a tow service available. It does make me wonder what soap operas you're
watching? Mine never have any cars in them...humm? Linda

aflyguy25

Sep 19, 2004, 4:47:23 AM9/19/04
Let's set this straight. I am Jerry Goffman in San Bernardino, California.
I have had to replace the ignition switch twice with dealers and twice
with locksmiths. There were two other times the switch locked me out and i
had to be towed. All the tow people say it is common. The last time AAA
sent a locksmith who said it is so common he carrys extra Ford Focus
ignition switches. I was so fed up he redid my switch by pulling out the
pins so it will not happen again. But, that is what the last locksmith
said after he overhauled the switch. This is a bullshit situation from the
Ford Motor Company. I WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER FORD PRODUCT BECAUSE OF THIS
BULLSHIT. I have all the paperwork to prove this too.

aflyguy25

Sep 19, 2004, 4:51:27 AM9/19/04
Dave Gower you are an ASSHOLE. Jerry Goffman says so.

Zweef®

Sep 19, 2004, 7:02:04 AM9/19/04
In article
<01dfde976954da88...@localhost.talkaboutautos.com>,
afly...@hotmail.com says...

> Dave Gower you are an ASSHOLE. Jerry Goffman says so.

Jerry, don't go there, OK?
--
Bezit en wijsheid zijn illusies

Basic Wedge

Sep 19, 2004, 9:09:01 PM9/19/04
Didn't all this blow-over a couple of months ago? I see no need to revisit
the issue.

Rob

------------------------------

"aflyguy25" wrote ...

blueyezn

Oct 4, 2004, 7:35:03 PM10/4/04
I don't know if venting here will make me feel any better but here goes.
Bought the 2000 Focus in 2001, first ignitition replacement Aug 2003.
Today same problem so here comes another trip with the tow truck driver to
Coastal Ford. And here comes another $500 bill. Because with just my
luck, my warranty expired just over a month ago,

jca...@comcast.net

Nov 12, 2012, 11:56:10 AM11/12/12
I own a 2003 focus and a 2004 focus and have replaced the ignition switch once on the '03 and twice on the '04. Now the '04 is in with a "fuel delivery module" error at 68k miles. The car periodically surges and slows down. Ford had a customer satisfaction program for this problem and would repair free but only good for 2000 and 2001 models. I have begun be phasing out the Ford products for Toyota products. I just can't afford American vehicle repairs any longer.

CRNG

Nov 12, 2012, 1:11:52 PM11/12/12
On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 08:56:10 -0800 (PST), jca...@comcast.net wrote in
<feda2971-fe11-4d5c...@googlegroups.com> Re Re: focus
2000 ignition problem:
I replaced a '97 Escort with 170,000 miles with a new '05 Focus. The
Focus is junk compared to the Escort. I still have the Focus, but
doubt I will be replacing it with a Ford product.