Soured on Intrepid

Keith Jarvis

Nov 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/26/00
Was wondering if anyone else out there has trouble with their Intrepid.
My 93 3.3L just hit 76,000miles and it seems everything decided to go at
once:AC, motor mounts, ball joint RT, transmission is shifting funny,
heating/cooling recirculating air box clicks, one of the dual cooling
fans for the engine is out and you must replace whole unit part is over
$500, plus rust is forming on bottoms of all 4 doors. This car has been
babied never abused and oil changed every 3000 mls, is my car a fluke or
are Intrepids just trouble prone. I am thinking about trading it on a
Ford Taurus shortly. Any responses on your experiences with Intrepids
would be appreciated thanks in advance kei...@webtv.net

Moparmaniac

Nov 27, 2000, 1:49:35 AM11/27/00
Sorry to hear your troubles....My car 91 Dynasty...Cousin to the
Intrepid...Has 150K on it..with minimal problems...Tranny only major
failure...
3.3 V6 ....Never a problem with the engine.....Except the problems I caused
myself : ) and I drive the tar out of it....I never bought into that "baby"
thing...

Keith Jarvis <kei...@webtv.net> wrote in message

dse...@hiwaay.net

Nov 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/27/00
Please explain relationship between regular oil changes and AC
failure, motor mount failure, cooling fan problems, etc., etc.

There was a recall on parts of the AC system on all 93 models built
prior to a certain date. If your car has not had this, it may still
be eligible.

Some of those other items are prone to premature wear on the early
Intrepids. And if the transmission made it to 76K miles, you are
luckier than many, many owners of the early Intrepids.

Dan

Jerry Wolcott

Dec 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/1/00
My 94 Intrepid 3.3 just turned 88,000 miles and it has been the most
reliable vehicle I have owned. Still has original brakes front and rear
with lots of lining. Just bought new tires last month. Had regular
maintenace over its life, engine oil 3,000 miles, trans fluid 30,000,
changed coolant and brake fluid every 3 years.
Only problems I have had were trans shifting into low gear slow,
repaired with upgrade. Drivers seat back broken (before recall) Torn CV
boot. And twice the windshield wipers and dash gauges quit working. When
I disconnected the battery to test some circuits, it re-booted the body
computer and started working, don't know why it failed. We have had this
car since April of 96, and put most of the mileage on it (over 50,000
miles) Is our car a fluke? I have a 65 D 100 Panel with over 250,000
miles (slant 6, 4 speed) a 74 Dart with 186,000 miles (318 V8, 904
automatic) and 97 Dakota that I hope will last like the others have (5.2
V8 automatic)

Mopar to ya Jerry Wolcott

Husband and Wife

Dec 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/1/00
Someone famous whose name I don't recall wrote:
> Drivers seat back broken (before recall)

The letter I have states that you can get a refund if you paid for the repair.
I'll guess you need the receipt or something from the dealer.
Dave

chris

Dec 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/6/00
95 intrepid 3.5- if i remember--35,000+ water pump, 37,000 a/c condencer,
oops, 6000 + rotor's (my fault on mt washington) 42,0000 new front rotors,
43,000 a/c blowing mist or fog or something, tranny rebuilt at 57,000, think
evaporator is shot so i'll find out in the summer. i babied this car, front
end is shake rattle n roll cause city potholes, new green antifreeze is rust
in 6 months so i don't even want to look at radiator. engine is fine at
58,000 +
chris

Keith Jarvis

Dec 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/6/00
thank goodness I was beginning to think it was just mine. Seems like
some people get very protective of these cars, I am very disappointed at
mine with only 76,000 miles and getting ready for the junk heap. thnks
for your response..

Husband and Wife

Dec 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/7/00
Someone famous whose name I don't recall wrote:
>I am very disappointed at
>mine with only 76,000 miles and getting ready for the junk heap.

Odd, but sometimes I agree with you. Sometimes not.
My '94 Intrepid was nearly perfect for over 65,000 miles.
One battery, one tranny tune-up (less than $150)
At 65,000 I put on it's first set of tires and brake pads.
I LOVED the car. Best I'd EVER owned in 30 years of driving.
Power, handling, comfort. For me, a perfect combination.

Then, at about 80,000 the tranny started acting up, followed by one thing after another.
Now it seems like the car is always in need of something. I don't expect a car to last forever, and
certainly things wear out.
One of the major issues is that everything seems to be made out of plastic, and after seven years,
it's all become cracked, mis-shapen, hardened, brittle and falling apart.
My wifes '95 Nissan 200SX with 120,000 miles, is doing much better than the Intrepid.
This car will self-destruct at 120,000 miles...
Dave

Moparmaniac

Dec 7, 2000, 12:21:03 PM12/7/00
I know every car company has their troubles, but our Dodges have been very
good......Our 90 Caravan went 133,000 miles mainly trouble free...Fuel pump
around 90K and Tranny at 133K..that's when my folks traded it off..

My dad has a 92 Dakota V6 with 152,000 Miles...IT is a rural mail truck and
if any of you know anything about rural routes, you know it's gotta be
pretty dependable....110 miles of gravel roads....360 mail boxes....That's
havoc on a truck...and just now the INFAMOUS transmission everyone talks
about is just giving up lately.

As far as engine goes...My dad changes oil and that's all...he's never been
the preventative maintenance type..which worries me.

He also has an 1988 Dakota V6 4X4 that needed a new tranny 10K after he
bought it USED, but he knew it was coming as the guy who owned pulled a
trailer in the mountains in VA and pretty much did it in.. Dealer rebuilt
it under warranty....lasted for about 35K...the third time had a local boy
rebuild it with a shift kit and that thing has been bulletproof ever since
for the last 85K miles....and whiplash to boot.

I have a 1991 Dynasty 3.3 and it has 151K on it and still strong as ever. I
admit..it had a rebuilt tranny when I bought it at 95K and who knows how
many before that....It went to 133K and went out again..but I had a hand in
it..Being a kid at heart I drag raced it at the local strip and stuff.
Another problem was a broken motor mount, which came from me finding out
that you can scratch the tires from 1-2 if you do it right...As far as
engine..NO Troubles even with all the hell I Put it through....So I'm sorry
to hear everyone's troubles, but I have to say from experience I've been
quite pleased with our Vehicles.

Maybe you've just gotten a lemon, and maybe they really are that
flawed...But until I see different for myself..I'll don't think I'll ever
Switch brands...Even with all the talk going on now...

Just my .02 1/2 worth...

Happy Holidays.

Husband and Wife <husband...@STOPSPAMmindspring.com> wrote in message

Husband and Wife

Dec 8, 2000, 2:22:37 PM12/8/00
Someone famous whose name I don't recall wrote:
>Maybe you've just gotten a lemon, and maybe they really are that
>flawed...But until I see different for myself..I'll don't think I'll ever
>Switch brands...Even with all the talk going on now...

I'm sure I didn't get a lemon... as I said, the car was nearly perfect for 65,000 miles.
It amazed me that even the tires had tread at that point.
I got it on a 4 year lease, and after the lease was up, I bought the car because I loved it.
So after that, I decided to replace the tires, brakes, all rubber hoses, all fluids, etc. and do a
thorough tune-up.
Cost about $1000 for everything and the car was like new.
The guys at my local Meineke Muffler place were great. They did the brakes, and insisted that the
shocks were still fine. I was more than ready to replace them, just on principal, but they said,
"Nope. Keep your money."
Gotta love those guys... (Route 23, Cedar Grove, NJ)

I've always been gentle with the trans, except when I feel like beating some wise guy out of a stop
light. Dodge does that well.

Next vehicle will be a Chrysler product too. Prolly a 4by as I plan on buying a trailer and boat.
Unless I win the Lotto. Then I'll get 4 of them. Gotta take care of my sons too!
Dave

its...@my-deja.com

Dec 8, 2000, 3:02:13 PM12/8/00
I have a 1993 Intrepid(60,000 miles) and I've had
so many problems with this car I'll never get a
Dodge again. I cant' wait until I get another car.
I've had all the recalls, timing belt replaced
twice(once at the dealers expense), waterpump
replced, motor mounts replaced, Steering links
replaced. All this at 60,000 miles. This car is
the biggest piece of unreliabile junk I've ever
seen. I'm just buying my time until I can get
another car.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

its...@my-deja.com

Dec 8, 2000, 3:02:11 PM12/8/00

Al, N2NKB

Dec 8, 2000, 4:43:21 PM12/8/00
I guess "Husband and Wife" got a care made on a Wednesday.
Itsokia got a car made on a Monday morning.
This can make sense according to James Mitchner's 70's book "Wheels".
Al

Will

Dec 10, 2000, 2:16:15 PM12/10/00
We had a 96 Intrepid which we loved to drive, but the problems we had
were the kind of things that burn bridges because they seemed to be
chronic problems. Water pump, tie rods, rack and pinion bushings all
went out at the same time as everybody else's it seems like. Here's the
problem I had; the rack bushings were serviceable items on the 95, but
not the 96. That seems backwards.
There were other problems too, but the chronic ones that cost a fortune
to fix made me give up on it. It had a beautiful engine though. That
3.5 was smooth.