High mileage MBs

1 view

cp

Aug 3, 2003, 7:16:24 PM8/3/03
Which posters on this newsgroup have MBs with over 300,000miles?

Noticed a poster today with a '91 350SDL with 450,000 MILES: WOW!!

Anyone else?

'85 300SD, 300K Miles

Greg Schwall

Aug 3, 2003, 7:49:11 PM8/3/03
'83 300 SD with 483,000 miles.
Greg

"cp" <cplass...@REMOVEshaw.ca> wrote in message

YAH MON

Aug 3, 2003, 9:33:40 PM8/3/03
'87 420 SEL 306,000

LEEP

Richard J. Sexton (At work)

Aug 4, 2003, 9:41:30 AM8/4/03
In article <cJgXa.632054$Vi5.15...@news1.calgary.shaw.ca>,

cp <cplass...@REMOVEshaw.ca> wrote:
>Which posters on this newsgroup have MBs with over 300,000miles?

I do.

--
OE,OEM MB, BMW, parts: http://buyeuroparts.com

Allan Pedersen

Aug 4, 2003, 11:49:12 AM8/4/03
Hi

The record here in denmark is a MB 300D 1.500.000 miles :-) with out any
major repaires lol

regards

Allan

"cp" <cplass...@REMOVEshaw.ca> skrev i en meddelelse
> [...]

marlinspike

Aug 4, 2003, 5:05:54 PM8/4/03
I may not have 300k miles, but I have darn near close to ....um, er,
210,000km in my 1985 380SE.
Richard

Juergen .

Aug 4, 2003, 5:09:49 PM8/4/03
marlinspike wrote:
> I may not have 300k miles, but I have darn near close to ....um, er,
> 210,000km in my 1985 380SE.

The first 250.000 km are the run-in phase -
the last 250.000 km are the ruinin' phase... ;-)

Juergen

Nick Hogg

Aug 4, 2003, 5:35:27 PM8/4/03
my older brother has an E250 diesel with 588,000 miles. it's not on its
first engine, mind.

my 190E has done a paltry 89,000 miles.

Helen

Aug 4, 2003, 7:23:08 PM8/4/03
Query:

If you replace the engine... and then you replace the transmission,
tires, oil, brake pads, seals, various other things and get a new
paint job, do you still have the same vehicle and if so, what is it
that determines 'this is the same car'? Just wondering.

Helen

"Nick Hogg" <nick...@gmx.co.uk> wrote in message news:bgmjis$3v1$1...@newsreaderm1.core.theplanet.net...
: my older brother has an E250 diesel with 588,000 miles. it's not on its

: >
: >
:
:

Lee Sharp

Aug 4, 2003, 9:17:05 PM8/4/03
Helen <@abuse.roman.gov> wrote in message
<<Query:

If you replace the engine... and then you replace the transmission,
tires, oil, brake pads, seals, various other things and get a new
paint job, do you still have the same vehicle and if so, what is it
that determines 'this is the same car'? Just wondering.

Helen>>

The VIN tag, according to the Texas DMV. The block according to the CA
DMV. However, I had 2 prior Mercedes with over 300,000 miles, on the
original engine. I also have a VW Beetle that I race that has had over 20
engines. (Also over 300,000 miles) With out a doubt, this is a YMMV type
question. :-)

Lee

E 55 AMG

Aug 4, 2003, 9:39:13 PM8/4/03
Helen:

You ask an interesting question. It sounds like George Washington's axe. In any
case, I think it's the chassis that determines what the car is. Tires, oil,
brake pads, seals, etc., and even paint, to a certain extent, are maintenance
items that require replacement with use. Even body panels can be changed after
an accident or extensive rusting. As long as the car retains its original VIN,
it's still the same car. I remember seeing in Europe an early MB W 115 (a 220
D) from the late 1960s that had been upgraded with what looked like a new body
of the late W 115 with the ribbed tail lights, wider grille, flat headlights,
etc. I'm sure this car was still registered as the original car it was; it was
simply that its body was a few years newer than the rest of the car. Then
again, maybe it also had a new engine and transmission.

Incidentally, this was in Portugal, where running a gas (petrol) car was
extremely expensive, and a diesel one was much cheaper. There were owners of
gas-engined models (MB and non-MB) that had their cars converted to diesel. I
remember seeing a diesel 280 SL (W 113) and a diesel 280 S (W 108). This was
many years before MB introduced its first diesel S-class, the (1978-80, W 116)
300 SD. (Juergen, I know that there was a 170 DS and 170 S-D, but come on,
those were not real S-Class cars.) The diesel engines installed in formerly
gas-powered MBs were typically the very underpowered 220 D or 240 D engines.
(In non-MB cars, including American cars, they typically installed Indenor
engines, a division of Peugeot, or Perkins engines.) When I saw these models,
especially the 280 SL, running on diesel engines, I was upset with the loss of
power and refinement, but, in retrospect, I see that the Portuguese were way
ahead of their time and even ahead of MB itself. :-)

Best regards,

Danny

Lee Wei Shun

Aug 4, 2003, 9:56:36 PM8/4/03
Juergen . wrote:

Hm. I'm at 258K and I expect this vehicle to goto 350K km easily. Of course,
the repairs are the one that might ruin me first! ;)

Cheers,
WS

--
Change to leews to mail.

Juergen .

Aug 4, 2003, 10:49:01 PM8/4/03
Hi Danny,

E 55 AMG wrote:
> I remember seeing in Europe an early MB W 115

> (a 220D) from the late 1960s that had been

> upgraded with what looked like a new body
> of the late W 115 with the ribbed tail lights,
> wider grille, flat headlights, etc. I'm sure
> this car was still registered as the original
> car it was; it was simply that its body was a
> few years newer than the rest of the car. Then
> again, maybe it also had a new engine and
> transmission.

Such conversions were not that uncommon here in
Germany - especially when there were front accidents
some people put the newer-style parts on, that
was no problem, you had to change the hood,
both fenders, the front grille, the bumper
and the headlights.

I also remember the stories when in the 1950's
people cut out the middle metal of their VW Beetles
rear window, changing the split-window to the
newer look...

Oh and YES, VERY popular with W126 owners
since 1985 is to put the new-style side
mouldings plus bumpers on - you would be
surprised under how many hoods of the newer-style
W126s 280S, 280SE and 380SE engines are... ==:-((

Ok, enough of that, I could go on for hours with
W124 stories of 1993+ cars - which indeed are 1985
models etc. pp.

> many years before MB introduced its first diesel
> S-class, the (1978-80, W 116) 300 SD.
> (Juergen, I know that there was a 170 DS and
> 170 S-D, but come on, those were not real S-Class
> cars.) The diesel engines installed in formerly

Did I say anything?
Did I say anything??
DID I???
NO, I did NOT say anything!
Grumble... murmur... silentlymurmuringintothebeard...
Oh, what an unfriendly ng this is! ;-)))

> gas-powered MBs were typically the very underpowered
> 220 D or 240 D engines.

UNDERPOWERED 240D??
U N D E R P O W E R E D???
U N D E R P O W E R E D????

You must be joking, my 1982 W123 240D auto Euro sedan
takes only 24.7 seconds from zero to 62.1 mph and
boasts an impressive top speed of 85.75 mph!!
Underpowered... =:-(((((

Ok, to get serious:

Indeed one could argue at length if these 170 S
or 170 DS (W136 series) were S-Classes or not...
Seen from the perspective of the very young
Western Germany of the beginning 1950's personally
I would say _yes_, that were indeed S-Classes -
but I know that especially seen from the perspective
of the US the W136 are not regarded as S-Classes:
One has to see what the automotive situation
in the US was at that time - full-size V8 cars
with auto trans and lots of gimmicks, absolutely
no comparison to a W136 with its 4-cylinder inline
engine with 40 PS (Diesel) or 45/52 PS gasoline
and the mandatory manual trans!

(W108 with diesel engine)
Especially with old W108 S-Classes back into the
late 1970's and in the 1980's it was not uncommon
here in Germany that especially young people had
all types of MB diesel engines put in - this also
included 55 PS 200D engines...
...well, THAT was slow...
But the front of the cars in most cases featured
the double-round headlamps which in Germany were
an option resp. standard with the 300 SEL 6.3 -
here in Germany.

The normal headlamps looked like this
http://www.geocities.com/mbz109/img/w108profile.gif
(Of course I know you, Danny, know how it
looks but some others might not).

> When I saw these models, especially the 280 SL,

I have only once seen a R107 with a diesel engine
here in Germany.

> running on diesel engines, I was upset with the
> loss of power and refinement, but, in retrospect,
> I see that the Portuguese were way
> ahead of their time and even ahead of MB itself. :-)

With the W116 one once could see here in Germany from
time to time a re-imported Diesel 300 SD - I am sure
the car would have been a strong seller here, but as
MB did some things wrong back in that days (e.g. also
not to build the C111) we Germans had to live with it
(or should I say: without it?).

> Best regards,
> Danny

Kind regards from sunny - ok, not at this time
of the night - and _very_ warm Germany

Juergen
P.S.: I know I still owe you an answer regarding displacement

sdp1s

Aug 5, 2003, 12:54:03 AM8/5/03
On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 22:35:27 +0100, "Nick Hogg" <nick...@gmx.co.uk>
wrote:

>my older brother has an E250 diesel with 588,000 miles. it's not on its
>first engine, mind.
>
>my 190E has done a paltry 89,000 miles.

Averaging 65,000+ miles per year at least, when does he have time to
sleep?

Juergen .

Aug 5, 2003, 1:06:15 AM8/5/03
sdp1s wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 22:35:27 +0100, "Nick Hogg" <nick...@gmx.co.uk>
> wrote:
> >my older brother has an E250 diesel with 588,000 miles. it's not on its
> >first engine, mind.
> Averaging 65,000+ miles per year at least, when does he have time to
> sleep?

I think he means a W124 250D - that one was available
from spring 1985 on (E250D from 09/1993 on).

Juergen

Nick Hogg

Aug 5, 2003, 12:17:35 PM8/5/03
> I think he means a W124 250D - that one was available
> from spring 1985 on (E250D from 09/1993 on).

i rang my brother and asked, he said nope, it's an E250, early 1994. you
sure you don't mean kilometers instead of miles, i said ... nope, it's
miles. apparently the first owner was a perfume company and the merc was
used as the 'swab car', taking weekly samples between lab in berkshire, UK
to milan, italy. when he picked up the car at three years old it had
already done nearly 250,000 miles. since then it has averaged around 1,000
miles per week with my brother's engineering supplies firm. it had a new
engine and transmission at 375,000 miles.

cp

Aug 5, 2003, 12:41:20 PM8/5/03
> '83 300 SD with 483,000 miles.

!!!!!!!!! How does it drive?

How's the engine compression and transmission?

Any rattling noises in the body like in a 200K mile Honda?

Juergen .

Aug 5, 2003, 1:12:03 PM8/5/03
Hi Nick,

Nick Hogg wrote:
> > I think he means a W124 250D - that one was available
> > from spring 1985 on (E250D from 09/1993 on).
> i rang my brother and asked, he said nope, it's an E250,
> early 1994. you sure you don't mean kilometers instead
> of miles, i said ... nope, it's miles.
> apparently the first owner was a perfume company and the
> merc was used as the 'swab car', taking weekly samples
> between lab in berkshire, UK to milan, italy.

Wow - interesting _life_ of a car!

> when he picked up the car at three years old it had
> already done nearly 250,000 miles. since then it
> has averaged around 1,000 miles per week with my
> brother's engineering supplies firm. it had a new
> engine and transmission at 375,000 miles.

375 k mi ( = 603.000 km) IMHO is ok for both -
I once drove a 1985 W124 300D where both were redone
after ca. 550.000 km = ca. 340 k mi;
but of course I have also heard reliable stories of
roughly 1.000.000 km = ca. 625 k mi without rebuild
on W124 diesels.

A neighbour once had an early W124 230E which was
used by BP for testing of engine oils - thick
additional wiring harness for the various sensors
was still in the car when he bought it.

Juergen

Nick Hogg

Aug 5, 2003, 2:26:11 PM8/5/03
> A neighbour once had an early W124 230E which was
> used by BP for testing of engine oils - thick
> additional wiring harness for the various sensors
> was still in the car when he bought it.

yeah, my brother says his car *still* smells of perfume!!

Dori Schmetterling

Aug 5, 2003, 2:33:32 PM8/5/03
What, you think thrashing up and down the motorway between southern England
and Milan every week for three years and then drivng round the UK (and maybe
some Continent) interesting for a car???

(Frankly I can't understand why they didn't send the stuff by air -- must be
cheaper.)

My own journeys are far more varied but, I suppose, more boring for the car
as I do it mostly by Boeing and Airbus...

;-)
DAS
--
---
---
"Juergen ." <jag...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

E 55 AMG

Aug 5, 2003, 3:07:55 PM8/5/03
>UNDERPOWERED 240D??
>U N D E R P O W E R E D???
>U N D E R P O W E R E D????

Remember, the (W 108) 280 S had 140 PS DIN and the (W 113) 280 SL (Pagoda) had
170 PS DIN. To have replaced these engines with even the early 240 D engine
with 65 PS would be quite underpowered. My father owned a fintail (W 110) 200 D
with all of its 55 PS DIN, and I know how it felt. A friend of his had a (W
115) 220 D which, with 60 PS DIN, was an improvement.

>Indeed one could argue at length if these 170 S
>or 170 DS (W136 series) were S-Classes or not...
>Seen from the perspective of the very young
>Western Germany of the beginning 1950's personally
>I would say _yes_, that were indeed S-Classes -
>but I know that especially seen from the perspective
>of the US the W136 are not regarded as S-Classes:
>One has to see what the automotive situation
>in the US was at that time - full-size V8 cars
>with auto trans and lots of gimmicks, absolutely
>no comparison to a W136 with its 4-cylinder inline
>engine with 40 PS (Diesel) or 45/52 PS gasoline
>and the mandatory manual trans!

My argument is not the philosophy of what the car should be called. I think
that MB itself never referred to a model as the S-Class until the W 116 models.
Now if you want the philosophy behind it, here it is. If you refer to the W
108/109 as an S-Class, I wouldn't disagree, but if you use S-Class for anything
earlier than that, I would disagree. With the Ponton models, there were the 220
and 219 and also the 220 S and 220 SE. The "S" designation simply meant a
better model. Even the 180 and 190 models looked similar to these. I don't see
a distinct S-Class. The same is true of the fintails. Notice the existence of
the 230 and 230 S, but also notice that there isn't much difference in looks
between a 190 D and a 300 SE. I don't see a distinct S-Class there either. With
the W 108/109, there is a whole line of cars that is different from anything
else and they all have the letter "S" in their model designations. Here, I can
already see why you'd call it an S-Class, but MB did not. MB used the name
S-Class for the next generation of large sedans, the W 116. What people call
these models now is a different thing. I have heard people refer to the W 123
as the E-Class, but certainly MB never did.

>http://www.geocities.com/mbz109/img/w108profile.gif

>I have only once seen a R107 with a diesel engine
>here in Germany.

I never saw any R 107 with a diesel engine, but interestingly, MB made one.
Guenter Engelen mentions it in his book on the R 107 models. It was the 300 SL
TD (TD = turbodiesel, not station wagon :-) ) made in 1986 with the inline-6,
3-liter turbodiesel engine.

>Kind regards from sunny - ok, not at this time
>of the night - and _very_ warm Germany
>Juergen

Best regards from very rainy and very hot Florida,
Danny

>P.S.: I know I still owe you an answer regarding displacement

Yes, thanks, I look forward to reading what you have to say on that subject.

Juergen .

Aug 5, 2003, 6:32:12 PM8/5/03
Dori Schmetterling wrote:
> What, you think thrashing up and down the
> motorway between southern England
> and Milan every week for three years and
> then drivng round the UK (and maybe
> some Continent) interesting for a car???

Ok - seen that way the most important _life_
a car can have is to be a police cruiser -
we have many W210 E-Classes as police cruisers
here in Germany, green on white the oldest
ones, green on silver the newer ones, blue on
silver the newest ones.
W211 I know only in blue on silver.

Oh and yes, in the Northern city of Hamburg
there is a one-year trial period of
Harley-Davidson police mnotorcycles in blue
on silver - perfect match for the W211.

> (Frankly I can't understand why they
> didn't send the stuff by air -- must be
> cheaper.)

There _must_ have been a reason or two why
they didn't.

> My own journeys are far more varied but,
> I suppose, more boring for the car
> as I do it mostly by Boeing and Airbus...

You mean you yourself got the luxury to
fly by plane, but you did NOT take your
car into the passenger cabin but in the
cargo compartment without windows?

As I thought, you are no _real_ MB enthusiast... ;-)))

> ;-)
> DAS

Smiling kind regards from Germany

Juergen

Greg Schwall

Aug 5, 2003, 7:18:56 PM8/5/03
Drives well. No rattling at all. Of course there isn't much original left
other than the body. The engine was replaced at 375k. Rebuilt the
transmission once and replaced it once.

"cp" <cplass...@REMOVEshaw.ca> wrote in message

cp

Aug 5, 2003, 8:30:19 PM8/5/03
Hi Juergen,

> Oh and yes, in the Northern city of Hamburg
> there is a one-year trial period of
> Harley-Davidson police mnotorcycles in blue
> on silver - perfect match for the W211.

A Harley-Davidson in a German police force?? Here in
Vancouver they tried BMW's, excellent bikes they said but
why (other than politics I guess and style) would the Germans
want to use an HD and there is a host of German motorbikes to
choose from?

cp

Juergen .

Aug 5, 2003, 9:31:04 PM8/5/03
Hi cp,

cp wrote:
> Hi Juergen,
> > Oh and yes, in the Northern city of Hamburg
> > there is a one-year trial period of
> > Harley-Davidson police mnotorcycles in blue
> > on silver - perfect match for the W211.
> A Harley-Davidson in a German police force?? Here in

Yes, see (may load slow, but works, official website
of the Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg)
<http://fhh.hamburg.de/stadt/Aktuell/behoerden/inneres/polizei/aktuelles/harley.html>

The text reads:

On July 27th 2003 the general manager of Harley
Deutschland GmbH handed over seven from 20 altogether
Harley-Davidson motorcycles to the police. The bikes
are at the diposal for Hamburg police for one year.
In this time the bikes are subject to a thorough
practical test. The other 13 bikes will be delivered
until the end of August.
The bikes are Elektra Glides with aircooled two-cylinder
four-stroke 45 degree V-twin-engines. The power output
is 49,5 kw at 5300 revs. The bikes weigh 385 kg in the
modified police version.
(ok, quick and dirty translation; click on the images
openes a new window with larger version)

> Vancouver they tried BMW's, excellent bikes they said but
> why (other than politics I guess and style) would the Germans
> want to use an HD and there is a host of German motorbikes to
> choose from?

Hamburg police has 39 BMW police motorbikes - BMW police
motorbikes are the by far most common in Germany; some
Eastern Germany states also use Simpson.

AFAIK for the one year period Hamburg police does not
have to pay anything - after that time they can decide
to give the bikes back or to buy them.

The BMW is the K75, 75 PS, 185 km/h = 115 mph, ABS, 260 kg
Harley 67 PS, 170 km/h = 106 mph, no ABS, 385 kg

The Harleys came just in time for the 100th Birthday
of Harley-Davidson which was celebrated in Hamburg.

For photos of Hamburg police patrol cars incl. W211 see
<http://www.blaulichtfahrzeuge.de/polizei/hamburg1/hamburg1.html>
A click on a photo opens a new window with a larger photo

W210 Hamburg police also at
http://policecanada.ca/hamburg01.jpg
http://policecanada.ca/hamburg02.jpg

Sprinter 312D
http://policecanada.ca/hamburg_buhler_004.jpg

G-model
http://policecanada.ca/hamburg_003_buhler.jpg

Some MB Hamburg police vans
http://www.blaulichtfahrzeuge.de/polizei/hamburg2/hamburg2.html

Some MB Hamburg police trucks
http://www.blaulichtfahrzeuge.de/polizei/hamburg3/hamburg3.html

Entry of the website at http://www.blaulichtfahrzeuge.de/
Also ambulance MBs etc. - tons of MB stuff

Enough for the start?

Kind regards

Juergen

Dori Schmetterling

Aug 6, 2003, 8:21:05 AM8/6/03
To me it is obvious that some of the decision makers saw Easy Rider in their
youth and have now found a way to get their hands on Harleys without having
to buy them themselves...

DAS
--
---
---
"Juergen ." <jag...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

Dori Schmetterling

Aug 6, 2003, 8:52:14 AM8/6/03
PS. ...and ride them around in public in fancy uniforms (with LEATHER
elements) during their working hours...

(Can you blame them???)

DAS
--
---
---

"Dori Schmetterling" <n...@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message

cp

Aug 7, 2003, 10:42:43 PM8/7/03
That explains it, I thought that Hamburg actually paid for them!

Thanks for the pics links!

cp

PS you know of any good used car lots in Hamburg where I could find a nice 1987-1988 124 250D? :-)

Juergen .

Aug 7, 2003, 11:51:35 PM8/7/03
Hi cp,

cp wrote:
> PS you know of any good used car lots in Hamburg
> where I could find a nice 1987-1988 124 250D? :-)

No - most of the good ones are being/already have
been exported.

Also since the car tax is extremely high
for old diesels many people sold their now
already exported old MB diesels.

And the new European Union Warranty laws came
into effect at Jan 1st 2002 so many car dealers
do not sell any old cars inside the EU anymore
but for export to outside the EU like Africa,
Arabia or the former Soviet Union only so they
do not have to give any warranty.

Of course from time to time you can have luck
and come over a good car, but that more or
less is pure luck.

Sorry I can't give you a more positive response!

Juergen

DON

Aug 8, 2003, 11:25:19 AM8/8/03
I know you are now into german police Harleys but talking about high
mileages I knew of a chauffeur who proudly diplayed a merc 3 pointed
star badge in his coat lapel.Apparently the merc factory sent bronze,
silver or gold depending on how many miles YOU had travelled in a
merc. I believe it also applied to truck drivers, he had a silver one
for 1 million miles and was working to the gold-5 million? Naturally
all his mates called him Mr Mercedes! Not sure how you proved the
mileage.
Don

Juergen .

Aug 8, 2003, 12:43:53 PM8/8/03
Dori Schmetterling wrote:
> To me it is obvious that some of the decision
> makers saw Easy Rider in their
> youth and have now found a way to get their
> hands on Harleys without having
> to buy them themselves...

Interesting psychic analysis - and it may be true, who knows?

Juergen - preferring 4 wheels

Juergen .

Aug 8, 2003, 1:05:43 PM8/8/03
Dori Schmetterling wrote:
> PS. ...and ride them around in public in
> fancy uniforms (with LEATHER
> elements) during their working hours...
> (Can you blame them???)

Oh, that was a big thing in Hamburg -
new police uniforms.

In the old days - until ca. 1970 - police
uniforms mostly were blue/dark blue.

Then around the 1972 Olympic games in Munich
new ones were created, with this green and
beige colours.

Now some 30 years later the discusion arose
about those colours which in the eyes of many
looked old, strange and somehow like those of
forest rangers.

So it was decided to go back to blue as also
in the future blue shall be the colour of
all European Union police forces.

The same with the cars:
Back since the early 1960s or so police cars
were white with the moving parts (like doors,
hood, trunk) white, all painted.

Then the cars were white with the green from
folios - when put out of service only the green
folios could be removed and the white cars
sold - cheaper than to re-spray the green parts.

Later the green was not limited to the moving
parts only but the shape of the green folios
was changed in various ways, mostly a wide
horizontal green stripe on the sides.

Then together with DaimlerChrysler the German
federal state of Baden-Wuerttemberg (it's capitol
is Stuttgart, home of two carmakers) worked out
a lease-plan for some thousand cars - to keep
lease rates low someone had a brilliant idea:
To have the cars in silver as base colour rather
than white as white cars are extremely unpopular
in Germany as opposed to the extremely popular
silver-metallic cars; so those silver-metallic
cars achieve a much better resale price when DC
sells them later as used cars.

So the cars got a wide horizontal green stripe
all over their sides.

An the very latest colour is silver-metallic cars
with the very same horizontal stripe, but this
time in blue to start the unification of colours
amongst European Union police forces.

One can see all that from the already mentioned page
http://www.blaulichtfahrzeuge.de/polizei/hamburg1/hamburg1.html

An exception from the colours is Bundesgrenzschutz
cars (Federal Border Guard), that is a federal
police force.

Anyway, at the very moment one can see MB police cars
in many different colour schemes for still some time.

Juergen

Juergen

Juergen .

Aug 8, 2003, 5:52:03 PM8/8/03
"Juergen ." wrote:
> Back since the early 1960s or so police cars
> were white with the moving parts (like doors,
> hood, trunk) white, all painted.
^^^^^
GREEN

Sorry - my mistake!

Juergen

cp

Aug 9, 2003, 1:59:59 AM8/9/03
> Of course from time to time you can have luck
> and come over a good car, but that more or
> less is pure luck.
>
> Sorry I can't give you a more positive response!

No problem :-)

You think the following could be a good choice?

http://www.mobile.de/SIDkx-ntu15BR7WagEnbyOM2g-t-vaNexlCsAsK%F3P%F3R~BmSB10LsearchPublicJ1060412268A1LsearchPublicCCarY-t-vctpLtt~BmPA1B21B20B48%81K-t-vMIMkPRRD_xetprrdsO~BSRA5F150000E17200H30000000D1990A0A2H20000000D1985A3/cgi-bin/da.pl?bereich=pkw&id=11111111124
253372&top=21&

Nick Hogg

Aug 9, 2003, 4:13:49 AM8/9/03
they're great cars, without a doubt ... but the example you show is a bit on
the expensive side at 2900euro ... should be more like 1800-1900euro.

"cp" <cplass...@REMOVEshaw.ca> wrote in message

Juergen .

Aug 9, 2003, 7:08:04 AM8/9/03
cp wrote:
> You think the following could be a good choice?
(URL)
I get an error message
Das Fahrzeug wurde bereits aus der Datenbank gelöscht.
translates to
The car has already been deleted from the database

Can you still see it?

Juergen

Nick Hogg

Aug 9, 2003, 8:23:32 AM8/9/03

Juergen .

Aug 9, 2003, 4:07:20 PM8/9/03
Hi Nick,

Nick Hogg wrote:
> try this:
> http://tinyurl.com/jht3

Many thanks!

But I get the very same error message...
(I have tried it with Netscape 4.8, Netscape 7.0
and Internet Explorer 6.0.2800)

Juergen

cp

Aug 9, 2003, 10:25:59 PM8/9/03
> > http://tinyurl.com/jht3
>
> Many thanks!
>
> But I get the very same error message...
> (I have tried it with Netscape 4.8, Netscape 7.0
> and Internet Explorer 6.0.2800)

It's sold! Oh well, hopefully there will be others...

cp

Aug 9, 2003, 10:26:17 PM8/9/03
> they're great cars, without a doubt ... but the example you show is a bit on
> the expensive side at 2900euro ... should be more like 1800-1900euro.

That sounds even better!

Nick Hogg

Aug 10, 2003, 7:01:44 AM8/10/03
have you tried eBay?
http://www.ebay.de/

"cp" <cplass...@REMOVEshaw.ca> wrote in message

cp

Aug 10, 2003, 2:16:03 PM8/10/03
> have you tried eBay?
> http://www.ebay.de/

great idea! thanks!

Juergen .

Aug 10, 2003, 2:56:16 PM8/10/03

But as always be _very careful_ when bidding on
a car you haven't seen personally.

And also remember that pics do not help much here,
they always _lie_ in the sense that the photographed
car always looks nicer than it is in reality.

Juergen

cp

Aug 10, 2003, 4:02:52 PM8/10/03

Of course! If I found something I would try to arrange
to buy it outside of ebay. But I haven't found anything, will have to
rely on kfzmarkt.de and mobile.de, can't get much better! Are there
any Hamburg papers online with car ads?

Thanks!
cp

Juergen .

Aug 10, 2003, 6:06:11 PM8/10/03
cp wrote:
> Of course! If I found something I would try to arrange
> to buy it outside of ebay. But I haven't found anything,
> will have to rely on kfzmarkt.de and mobile.de, can't
> get much better!

> Are there any Hamburg papers online with car ads?

Not really, _Hamburger Abendblatt_, in times before
the internet _the_ source for used cars in
the area had their ads also onlien, but now
they use the autobild database as both are from the
same publishers
http://automarkt.autobild.de/abendblatt_de/gebraucht/index.php
http://automarkt.autobild.de/web_de/gebraucht/suchen.php

Marke = brand
Modell = model
Typ = type
Farbe = body colour
Karosserie = type of body Limousine = sedan/saloon (normal WB)
Motorart = type of engine Benzin = gasoline
km-Stand bis = mileage in km up to
PLZ = German post code/zip
Erstzulassung von = first registered from
Preis von = price from
Leistung von = power output from
im Umkreis = radius from zip (if entered)
bis = upto/until

ABS = ABS
Automatik = automatic transmission
Fensterheber elektrisch = power windows
Klimaanlage = air condition (manual or automatic)
Lederausstattung = leather interiour
MWSt. ausweisbar = German VAT of 16 per cent
is stated = good for export outside the European Union
Radio = radio
Zentralverriegelung = central locking system

IMHO mobile.de is best, but there is more such services
like kfzmarkt.de you already mentioned, e. g.
http://www.autoscout24.de/
For the English-language version go to
<http://eng.autoscout24.com/home/index/search.asp?ts=8576035&make=47&country=D&sort=pubstartdesc&zipcountry=D&tot=500>

Plus there is also
http://www.automobile.de/
What is not bad here is that you can click on
a zip area in the map to the right-hand side
and all those who have a homepage can easily
be selected by the little red icon behind their
name.

http://www.webmobil24.com/web/de/start/p/index.htm
is another one.

I am sure there are more...

Kind regards

Juergen

cp

Aug 10, 2003, 10:43:57 PM8/10/03
Thanks a lot for your help Juergen, I save your posts, good for reference :-)

How about car registration in Germany? What does a foreigner
need to bring? (besides money :-) )

How does insurance work? Do I receive the temproary red
license plates? Can I go to eastern Europe with the red plates?

Thanks for your help! Posts like yours will end up being
used years from now by others :-)

cp

Dori Schmetterling

Aug 11, 2003, 7:18:01 AM8/11/03
If you are planning to export the car your temp plates will let you drive
anywhere. Can't remember how long max validity, maybe a month?

Just make sure you get insurance to cover the same period of the plates and
the appropriate regions. European insurers distinguish between EU and some
non-EU regions. For example, Ukraine and Romania would probably be seen as
higher risk and attract a premium.

If you buy from a decent dealer he could arrange evrything for you.

Are you planning to visit your old homeland in eastern Europe...?..

DAS
--
---
---

"cp" <cplass...@REMOVEshaw.ca> wrote in message

cp

Aug 11, 2003, 9:37:10 PM8/11/03
> If you are planning to export the car your temp plates will let you drive
> anywhere. Can't remember how long max validity, maybe a month?

Sounds good enough,

> Just make sure you get insurance to cover the same period of the plates and
> the appropriate regions. European insurers distinguish between EU and some
> non-EU regions.

What about Canada? :-) Will have to get something local

> For example, Ukraine and Romania would probably be seen as
> higher risk and attract a premium.

Ukraine and Romania? Never again, almost third world countries :-)

> If you buy from a decent dealer he could arrange evrything for you.
>
> Are you planning to visit your old homeland in eastern Europe...?..

Yes, poland

cp

Dori Schmetterling

Aug 12, 2003, 8:52:46 AM8/12/03
I have imported three cars into Britain from Germany since 1982. The first
was a used car bought from a Merc dealer (the other two were new via
factory -- 1986-- and dealership -- 2001 -- respectively.

I just don't remember what happened in 1982, except that I bought the car
just before leaving for Britain. The dealership was in a Hamburg suburb and
had no clue as to what to do about an export, as it then was (intra-EU
transfers are now easier). I had to do a lot of the legwork to get them to
issue the right papers.

(Actually, although my 2001 purchase was through a big dealership in a
decent-sized town they also did not have much idea of what to do and spent
an enormous amount of time helping them and encouraging them to call
Stuttgart to get the facts. They were more used to selling to the odd GI
stationed locally, who also have a special status.)

If you are planning to collect a car in Germany, drive around in Europe a
bit and then ship to Canada you may get the insurance to cover the shipping
to the Canadian destination, possibly even including a short period of
driving there to allow you to register the car.

BTW, the plates aren't red anymore. They look more like the standard
domestic plates but with a short expiry date. (I have seen people driving
around with expired plates in London.) As you may know, in Germany the
number plate is itself a legal document; not the case in Britain, for
example.

DAS
--
---
---
"cp" <cplass...@REMOVEshaw.ca> wrote in message

Dori Schmetterling

Aug 12, 2003, 9:07:53 AM8/12/03
PS. What about 'type approval'? Will you need special vehicle mods to
import into Canada, or will a standard German edition do?

What actually, is the point of this rigmarole, other than saying that
brought the car over yourself?

You are planning to buy an old, low-cost vehicle. Wouldn't it be easier to
sell it on departure from Europe? Or just hire something for the duration?

A nice car from Avis or other major company will give you guaranteed
low-hassle/hassle-free motoring for surprisingly little money.

A couple of weeks ago in Germany I had an Opel Signum with satnav for about
EUR 30 per day before 16% sales tax for 4 days. This covered the essential
driver insurance. My final price was more because I paid to reduce the
excess (collision damage waiver, the bit you pay in case of theft or
accident from EUR 500 to EUR 50) and an airport collection fee. Admittedly
the car was a free upgrade; it should have been one class lower, so it might
have been an Opel Astra or Ford Focus type.

I bet you can better deals if you rent for longer. You can rent Mercs or
similar but, obviously, for more money.

Last year I got a nice Audi TT Cabrio from Avis.

Think about it.

DAS
--
---
---

Dori Schmetterling

Aug 12, 2003, 10:08:01 AM8/12/03
I accidentally posted my addendum separately. See newer post.

DAS
--
---
---

"Dori Schmetterling" <n...@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message

cp

Aug 12, 2003, 5:54:18 PM8/12/03
> I accidentally posted my addendum separately. See newer post.

Yes, found it earlier, I thought, hmmm who is she replying to, the subject
heading looked familiar than it hit me that i started the thread :-)

cp

Aug 12, 2003, 5:55:34 PM8/12/03
Well, I just got some shipping quotes, 2500USD to the Pacific where I live and 1500USD to Montreal, will have to figure out if it's
worth doing this whole thing, maybe I'll bring over a couple of them...

George Johnston

Aug 13, 2003, 6:56:14 AM8/13/03

Vehicles can be imported into Canada without modifications if they are 15
yrs. or older. They have to meet Transport Canada (Federal Gov't)
vehicle specs. if not manufactured in the U.S. if newer than 15 yrs old.
They CANNOT be altered to meet the specs.

Here are some links:

http://www.pcb.ca/vimp.asp

http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/E/pub/cm/d9-1-11/d9111ed.html

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importusa/impxus_e.htm

On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Dori Schmetterling wrote:

> Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 14:07:53 +0100
> From: Dori Schmetterling <n...@nospam.co.uk>
> Newsgroups: alt.auto.mercedes
> Subject: Re: High mileage MBs / exporting from DE

THE ABOVE OPINIONS ARE MINE, AND MINE ALONE. THEY DO NOT NECESSARILY
REPRESENT THE OPINIONS OF OTHERS INCLUDING MY EMPLOYER(S)

Dori Schmetterling

Aug 13, 2003, 7:47:34 AM8/13/03
Did you see the reply to me post about complying with Canadian regs? Only
15+ yr cars are ok.

DAS
--
---
---
"cp" <cplass...@REMOVEshaw.ca> wrote in message

cp

Aug 14, 2003, 12:38:25 AM8/14/03
> Did you see the reply to me post about complying with Canadian regs? Only
> 15+ yr cars are ok.

Oh yes, I know all about that, that's why I'm looking at 1988-1987, even
at 2500USD to bring it over to Vancouver it's worth it to bring a 1988 250D
here.

cp

George Johnston

Aug 15, 2003, 6:42:05 AM8/15/03

Dori,

To clarify, newer ones are okay provided they meet Canadian or American
standards. I believe that the manufacturer has to supply a label that
must be attached to the vehicle prior to export indicating that it does

GJ in Nova Scotia, Canada

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Dori Schmetterling wrote:

> Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 12:47:34 +0100

> From: Dori Schmetterling <n...@nospam.co.uk>
> Newsgroups: alt.auto.mercedes
> Subject: Re: High mileage MBs / exporting from DE

Dori Schmetterling

Aug 15, 2003, 7:12:11 AM8/15/03
Maybe, but which used car dealer in Germany is going to do that? From what
I have read here and, in particular, in an American-vehicle newsgroup,
unless that type/build of car has been tested to meet certain US
crashworthiness standards it will not be allowed on US roads, and the
impression I have it's very similar in Canada.

The only newer car that I can see readily importable is one sold to a North
American citizen in Germany (typically military), who intended to take it
home on completion of tour of duty but doesn't and sells it to a dealer.
The chance of a dealer buying such a car, however...?

DAS
--
---
---

"George Johnston" <ab...@chebucto.ns.ca> wrote in message
..

George Johnston

Aug 15, 2003, 8:35:36 AM8/15/03
On Fri, 15 Aug 2003, Dori Schmetterling wrote:

> Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 12:12:11 +0100

> From: Dori Schmetterling <n...@nospam.co.uk>
> Newsgroups: alt.auto.mercedes
> Subject: Re: High mileage MBs / exporting from DE
>

> Maybe, but which used car dealer in Germany is going to do that?

Probably none, it's the manufacturer that has to certify that it meets the
standards. I came across a site the other day that showed a tag for
certification supplied for a G-Wagen by Mercedes. Mind you this was an
American, but it seems to me that our regs state the same thing.

From what
> I have read here and, in particular, in an American-vehicle newsgroup,
> unless that type/build of car has been tested to meet certain US
> crashworthiness standards it will not be allowed on US roads, and the
> impression I have it's very similar in Canada.

Yup, except that conversions are allowed in the U.S. they aren't in
Canada. They have to meet Canadian or American standards period, or no
entry into Canada. Conversions are not allowed.

> The only newer car that I can see readily importable is one sold to a North
> American citizen in Germany (typically military), who intended to take it
> home on completion of tour of duty but doesn't and sells it to a dealer.
> The chance of a dealer buying such a car, however...?

Our regs seem to allow this, if I remember correctly. (Canadian working
in a foreign land). I'll see if I can find the relevant section.

Dori Schmetterling

Aug 15, 2003, 1:10:10 PM8/15/03
At least Canada allows US-standard cars, very good of the authorities...
;-)

Of course no used-car dealer will arrange for certification -- my question
was rhetorical, even bearing in mind that in Europe Mercedes-Benz owns a
large chunk of the dealerships.

Cars made to comply with US standards are different and that is why I was
making the point that it would take a miracle to find one at a used-car
dealer in Germany/Europe. Well, it occurs to me that there might be some
specialists that deal with the US military in say, Belgium (NATO HQ) and
Germany (lots of troops still present).

The typical GI can hardly afford a brand-new E-Class if he relies only on
his army wages...

George Johnston

Aug 15, 2003, 2:21:31 PM8/15/03
On Fri, 15 Aug 2003, Dori Schmetterling wrote:

> Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 18:10:10 +0100

> From: Dori Schmetterling <n...@nospam.co.uk>
> Newsgroups: alt.auto.mercedes
> Subject: Re: High mileage MBs / exporting from DE
>

> At least Canada allows US-standard cars, very good of the authorities...
> ;-)

We Canadians aim to please. *smile*

> Of course no used-car dealer will arrange for certification -- my question
> was rhetorical, even bearing in mind that in Europe Mercedes-Benz owns a
> large chunk of the dealerships.

Thanks for the info., wasn't aware that Mercedes was tied that tight to
the dealerships.

> Cars made to comply with US standards are different and that is why I was
> making the point that it would take a miracle to find one at a used-car
> dealer in Germany/Europe. Well, it occurs to me that there might be some
> specialists that deal with the US military in say, Belgium (NATO HQ) and
> Germany (lots of troops still present).

My understanding is that the emission control standards are the biggest
cost in conversions. For example, anything coming in after '96 has to
have OBD II.

> The typical GI can hardly afford a brand-new E-Class if he relies only on
> his army wages...

Even more so if he's a Canadian soldier!

Juergen .

Aug 15, 2003, 5:11:58 PM8/15/03
Dori Schmetterling wrote:
> Of course no used-car dealer will arrange for certification -- my question
> was rhetorical, even bearing in mind that in Europe Mercedes-Benz owns a
> large chunk of the dealerships.
> Cars made to comply with US standards are different and that is why I was
> making the point that it would take a miracle to find one at a used-car
> dealer in Germany/Europe. Well, it occurs to me that there might be some
> specialists that deal with the US military in say, Belgium (NATO HQ) and
> Germany (lots of troops still present).

The point with the US is any car not built ot US standards
either has to be at least 25 years old OR it has to be
mentioned on this list
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/ELIG0521-03.html

If the latter is the case the car has to be brought to
all applicable standards by a registered RVI, see
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/gray_07102003.html

With a - say - W140 S-Class the cost is typically
in the range of 6.000+ US dollars.

In case you buy a US-spec MB outside the US import
into the US of course is no problem.

Juergen

cp

Aug 16, 2003, 5:58:09 AM8/16/03
> To clarify, newer ones are okay provided they meet Canadian or American
> standards. I believe that the manufacturer has to supply a label that
> must be attached to the vehicle prior to export indicating that it does

By any chance, do you work for the canadian transportation ministry? :-)

cp