A challenge to atheists

Aatu Koskensilta

Jun 14, 2007, 5:01:09 PM6/14/07

The scant attention paid to polytheism in this group is occasionally
lamented -- indeed it seems most atheists here are Christian atheists
of the American variety, peculiarly (so it appears to an observer from
a largely secularised society) obsessed with the fine points of
Christian dogmatics and theology, the Bible, the historicity of
Jesus. Such lamentation is not without foundation, and it saddens me
that Infinitheism, the doctrine that there is an infinite number of
Gods, in particular has not been subjected to atheist reflection in
years (the last post about Infinitheism in alt.atheism appears to be
from early 90's). This is especially lamentable as the study of
Infinitheism has seen considerable advances in recent times. The
scholars of this our religion have been able to establish, relying on
results on cardinal characteristics of the continuum and Shelah's
possible cofinality theory, that not only is there an inaccessible
number of Gods, but the number of Gods exceeds what is known, in the
technical literature, the first extendible cardinal[1]. This is a vast
improvement over the previous lower limits, which first set the number
of Gods above the first subtle cardinal, and later, when the relevance
of Kechris's proof that determinacy holds in L(R) was realised, above
the first ineffable cardinal (or, by a slight tweaking of the
argument, the first remarkable cardinal). To the sophisticated reader
the significance should be obvious; for now we know that the number of
Gods is, in addition to being a large cardinal, a large large
cardinal. A full proof, and an extensive discussion of the history of
the research into the number of Gods, can be found in

J. Bargle, "Cardinal characteristics of the continuum and the number
of Gods I", JIS 67(3), 2007, p. 567 - 623

Sadly, in the project to classify the various Gods in diverse
categories much less progress has been made since the seminal work of
60's. There is some indication this might be about to change, in
e.g. the writings of P. Goorfleb where the axiom of playful universe
is applied to questions about the universal weasel and the
zero-dagger. See

P. Goorfleb, "A few results about forcing over L(U), with an
application to the classification problem for Gods", JIS 62(2), 2006,
p. 765 - 1323

for an introduction. These are exciting times for Infinitheists!

In the spirit of free inquiry, rationality, holding-of-hands and all
things good, I invite atheist to scrutinise the teachings of
Infinitheism. The impeccable logic, tedious attention to detail, lucid
prose, persuasive appeals to people's better nature, cogent arguments,
the atheist will find in the Infinitheistic literature will certainly
force them to abandon their folly, or, should they prove impervious to
logic, at least to deny a much greater number of Gods than they
previously managed. It's worth bearing in mind, though, that denying
an extendible number of Gods is much more taxing an undertaking than
denying just one God, or a small bunch of Gods -- any wimp can do
that, but it takes a mind of great determination, utmost rationality
and unwavering dedication to the Scientific Method to consider every
of the extendible number of Gods of Infinitheism, and reject each in
turn.

Footnotes:

[1] As no doubt everyone will recall, a cardinal kappa is
extendible if for every ordinal alpha there is an ordinal beta and an
elementary embedding j: V_kappa + alpha --> V_beta with kappa as its
critical point.

--
Aatu Koskensilta (aatu.kos...@xortec.fi)

"Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, daruber muss man schweigen"

Christopher A.Lee

Jun 14, 2007, 5:22:24 PM6/14/07
On 15 Jun 2007 00:01:09 +0300, Aatu Koskensilta
<aatu.kos...@xortec.fi> wrote:

We're not ANHY kind of theist. We couldn't care what theists believe
as long as they could live and let live.

But it's Christians who can't.

So that's who we react to.

Stop pretending.

kingdoodlesquat

Jun 14, 2007, 5:44:49 PM6/14/07
> The scant attention paid to polytheism in this group is occasionally
> lamented -- indeed it seems most atheists here are Christian atheists

Stop right there!!! Christian Atheists? What exactly is that then? You
obviously don't understand the concept - atheism means no god/s of any
variety. If you mean why do the majority of atheists on this ng have a pop
at christians, well the majority of theists are silly enough to post here
are christians aren't they?

kds

Michelle Malkin

Jun 14, 2007, 5:57:57 PM6/14/07
"Aatu Koskensilta" <aatu.kos...@xortec.fi> wrote in message

Very funny, especially the names.

Mike Painter

Jun 14, 2007, 6:36:02 PM6/14/07
Aatu Koskensilta wrote:
> The scant attention paid to polytheism in this group is occasionally
> lamented -- indeed it seems most atheists here are Christian atheists
> of the American variety, peculiarly (so it appears to an observer from
> a largely secularised society) obsessed with the fine points of
> Christian dogmatics and theology, the Bible, the historicity of
> Jesus.

We have no need to proceed past Bolian alegbra for our answer.
Let the set
Nsub1, N sub2,......, N Sub Z whhere Z is any arbitrary value up to Aleph ^
infinity.

Let M be the sum of these values.

M = 1 and we believe in M -1 gods.

Robibnikoff

Jun 14, 2007, 6:39:41 PM6/14/07

"Aatu Koskensilta" <aatu.kos...@xortec.fi> wrote in message

> The scant attention paid to polytheism in this group is occasionally
> lamented -- indeed it seems most atheists here are Christian atheists

Excuse me? I'm just an atheist. Not a christian in any sense of the word.

<long winded stuff sniped>

Um, did you have a question?
--
Robyn
Resident Witchypoo

Michael Gray

Jun 14, 2007, 6:47:43 PM6/14/07
<aatu.kos...@xortec.fi> wrote:
- Refer: <877iq6q...@huxley.huxley.fi>

>The scant attention paid to polytheism in this group is occasionally
>lamented -- indeed it seems most atheists here are Christian atheists

What on earth is a "Christian atheist"??

:

Enkidu

Jun 14, 2007, 6:48:55 PM6/14/07
Aatu Koskensilta <aatu.kos...@xortec.fi> wrote in

> The scant attention paid to polytheism in this group is occasionally
> lamented -- indeed it seems most atheists here are Christian atheists
> of the American variety, peculiarly (so it appears to an observer from
> a largely secularised society) obsessed with the fine points of
> Christian dogmatics and theology, the Bible, the historicity of
> Jesus. Such lamentation is not without foundation, and it saddens me
> that Infinitheism, the doctrine that there is an infinite number of
> Gods, in particular has not been subjected to atheist reflection in
> years (the last post about Infinitheism in alt.atheism appears to be
> from early 90's).

If there isn't one god, there isn't more than one god. Show there's at
least one, and you might get some attention.

--
Enkidu AA#2165
EAC Chaplain and ordained minister,

How many things we held yesterday as articles of faith which today we
tell as fables.
-Michel De Montaigne

duke

Jun 14, 2007, 6:54:51 PM6/14/07

We're also the represent the faith that Christ founded.

It sure is fun to put an atheist wannabe down.

duke, American-American
*****
Pope Paul VI
*****

kingdoodlesquat

Jun 14, 2007, 8:37:32 PM6/14/07

> We're also the represent the faith that Christ founded.
>
> It sure is fun to put an atheist wannabe down.

Oh duck, how I've almost missed you. If I am an athiest wannabe as you
claim, that must make me a christian with that level of hypocrisy. Or
perhaps not then. Never mind, you could always admit you are a jew wannabe,
since your "saviour" was one.

Luna

Jun 14, 2007, 9:20:12 PM6/14/07
In article <877iq6q...@huxley.huxley.fi>,
Aatu Koskensilta <aatu.kos...@xortec.fi> wrote:

> The scant attention paid to polytheism in this group is occasionally
> lamented

(snippy snip)

Ok, I read the whole thing, and in between the gobbledegook you want to
know why the atheists on this group spend so much time denying the
existence of the Christian god, and neglect to deny the existence of all
the other gods? Right? You feel left out?

In a spirit of inclusiveness, I say to you now I don't believe in any
gods, or ghosts, or spirits, or anything supernatural. I was a
polytheist at one time, so I understand the appeal. I mean, gosh, there
are even legitimate scientists who believe there are infinite alternate
universes, so why couldn't there be gods in some of them? All the gods
you want, all gods ever imagined, or yet to be imagined, or never to be
imagined!

But, I mean, even if that were actually true, even if there were
infinite alternate universes with infinite variety, that would also mean
there must be a universe somewhere in which I myself am a god to the
beings of that universe! Right? And I'm sure not going to start
believing in the existence of myself, for fuck's sake. I mean, I know I
exist, so I don't need to go around "believing" in it any more than I
need to believe in gravity or my desk or lint. And, fair's fair, so I'm
not going to go around believing in any of those other gods either.

Richo

Jun 14, 2007, 9:51:46 PM6/14/07
On Jun 15, 7:01 am, Aatu Koskensilta <aatu.koskensi...@xortec.fi>
wrote:

> The scant attention paid to polytheism in this group is occasionally
> lamented -- indeed it seems most atheists here are Christian atheists
> of the American variety, peculiarly (so it appears to an observer from
> a largely secularised society) obsessed with the fine points of
> Christian dogmatics and theology, the Bible, the historicity of
> Jesus.

This appearence can be explained by the fact that most active atheists
in the newsgroup live in christian countries and are REACTING to
theists constant talk of Jesus etc.
Doesn't that strike you as a reasonable hypothesis?
You could actually test this hypothesis.
You could listen to the talk of atheists in India and see how much
time is spent discussing Jesus vs Krishna or Shiva.

>Such lamentation is not without foundation, and it saddens me
> that Infinitheism, the doctrine that there is an infinite number of
> Gods, in particular has not been subjected to atheist reflection in
> years (the last post about Infinitheism in alt.atheism appears to be
> from early 90's). This is especially lamentable as the study of
> Infinitheism has seen considerable advances in recent times.

Surely you jest "advances" in theological speculation?
Even if you are not joking I am amused - and that's what really
counts.
8-)

You are a funny guy.
I like you.

> In the spirit of free inquiry, rationality, holding-of-hands and all
> things good, I invite atheist to scrutinise the teachings of
> Infinitheism. The impeccable logic, tedious attention to detail, lucid
> prose, persuasive appeals to people's better nature, cogent arguments,
> the atheist will find in the Infinitheistic literature will certainly
> force them to abandon their folly, or, should they prove impervious to
> logic, at least to deny a much greater number of Gods than they
> previously managed. It's worth bearing in mind, though, that denying
> an extendible number of Gods is much more taxing an undertaking than
> denying just one God, or a small bunch of Gods -- any wimp can do
> that, but it takes a mind of great determination, utmost rationality
> and unwavering dedication to the Scientific Method to consider every
> of the extendible number of Gods of Infinitheism, and reject each in
> turn.
>
> Footnotes:
>
> [1] As no doubt everyone will recall, a cardinal kappa is
> extendible if for every ordinal alpha there is an ordinal beta and an
> elementary embedding j: V_kappa + alpha --> V_beta with kappa as its
> critical point.

Phew! Enough talk of numbers.
Now let's talk about ME.
I don't actually care how many gods there are - I am not worshiping/
serving/believing in *any* of them.
Not a single one.
Ever.
Deal with it.
Accept it or kill me.
There are no other options.

Cheers your godless, heretic, infidel friend (*),
Mark.

* If you choose to kill me that might negate the "friend" bit.

Richo

Jun 14, 2007, 9:55:22 PM6/14/07

Robibnikoff wrote:
> "Aatu Koskensilta" <aatu.kos...@xortec.fi> wrote in message
> >
> > The scant attention paid to polytheism in this group is occasionally
> > lamented -- indeed it seems most atheists here are Christian atheists
>
> Excuse me? I'm just an atheist. Not a christian in any sense of the word.
>
> <long winded stuff sniped>
>
> Um, did you have a question?

I suspect he is being funny - a Fin with a very dry/obtuse sense of
humor.
The Scandinavian mind is a strange thing.

Cheers, Mark.

Stephen Knight

Jun 14, 2007, 10:47:56 PM6/14/07
<aatu.kos...@xortec.fi> wrote:

>The scant attention paid to polytheism in this group is occasionally
>lamented -- indeed it seems most atheists here are Christian atheists
>of the American variety,

Ra sucks donkey dick. As well as Thor and Odin.

Happy now?

Atheists go after 'current' fantasy. What's the point in
destroying, by logic, ancient myths no one believes in?

Warlord Steve
BAAWA

Enkidu

Jun 14, 2007, 10:58:42 PM6/14/07
Stephen Knight <woo...@comcast.net> wrote in

I don't know . . . if I was to pick a god to believe in, it wouldn't be
any pussy "Prince of Peace" god. I'd pick Thor. I'd want my imaginary
friend kickin' all the other kids' imaginary freinds' asses!

--
Enkidu AA#2165
EAC Chaplain and ordained minister,
ULC, Modesto, CA

The great god Ra, whose shrine once covered acres, is filler now for
crossword puzzles.
-Keith Preston

MarkA

Jun 14, 2007, 11:00:04 PM6/14/07
On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 00:01:09 +0300, Aatu Koskensilta wrote:

> The scant attention paid to polytheism in this group is occasionally
> lamented -- indeed it seems most atheists here are Christian atheists
> of the American variety, peculiarly (so it appears to an observer from
> a largely secularised society) obsessed with the fine points of
> Christian dogmatics and theology, the Bible, the historicity of
> Jesus. Such lamentation is not without foundation, and it saddens me
> that Infinitheism, the doctrine that there is an infinite number of
> Gods, in particular has not been subjected to atheist reflection in
> years (the last post about Infinitheism in alt.atheism appears to be
> from early 90's).

If there are an infinite number of gods, we won't have time to lack belief
in all of them!

--
MarkA
(This space accidentally filled in)

Mike Painter

Jun 15, 2007, 2:31:59 AM6/15/07

It's what most christians are.
I believe in my god but not yours.

Syd M.

Jun 15, 2007, 3:40:35 AM6/15/07
On Jun 14, 6:47 pm, Michael Gray <mikeg...@newsguy.com> wrote:
> On 15 Jun 2007 00:01:09 +0300, Aatu Koskensilta<aatu.koskensi...@xortec.fi> wrote:
>
> - Refer: <877iq6qmi2....@huxley.huxley.fi>

> >The scant attention paid to polytheism in this group is occasionally
> >lamented -- indeed it seems most atheists here are Christian atheists
>
> What on earth is a "Christian atheist"??
>
> :
>
> --

Prolly a christian who hates god..

PDW

Martin Phipps

Jun 15, 2007, 3:42:27 AM6/15/07
Apparently the challenge is to read through this without nodding off.

Martin

raven1

Jun 15, 2007, 4:24:35 AM6/15/07
<aatu.kos...@xortec.fi> wrote:

>There is some indication this might be about to change, in
>e.g. the writings of P. Goorfleb where the axiom of playful universe
>is applied to questions about the universal weasel and the
>zero-dagger.

This is a joke, right?
--

"O Sybilli, si ergo
Fortibus es in ero

Michael Gray

Jun 15, 2007, 4:37:57 AM6/15/07
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 23:31:59 -0700, "Mike Painter"
<mddotp...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
- Refer: <Qlqci.3787$c06...@newssvr22.news.prodigy.net>

Ah!
Of course.
All Christians are atheist with respect to Mithras and Minerva.
I suppose there could be an inadvertant grain of truth in Aatu's
diatribe.

Michael Gray

Jun 15, 2007, 4:38:46 AM6/15/07
On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 00:40:35 -0700, "Syd M." <pdwri...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
- Refer: <1181893235.4...@p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>

Or a God who doesn't believe Christians?

Michael Gray

Jun 15, 2007, 4:40:35 AM6/15/07
On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 04:24:35 -0400, raven1
<quotht...@nevermore.com> wrote:
- Refer: <i5j473tjiiaqjbptb...@4ax.com>

>On 15 Jun 2007 00:01:09 +0300, Aatu Koskensilta
><aatu.kos...@xortec.fi> wrote:
>
>>There is some indication this might be about to change, in
>>e.g. the writings of P. Goorfleb where the axiom of playful universe
>>is applied to questions about the universal weasel and the
>>zero-dagger.
>
>This is a joke, right?

It *could* be one of those robot postmodern generators, you know:

"It could be said that Baudrillard’s analysis of prepatriarchial
structuralist theory implies that academe is capable of significance,
but only if culture is equal to sexuality; if that is not the case,
Bataille’s model of material narrative is one of “the precapitalist
paradigm of context”, and thus meaningless.
The subject is interpolated into a prepatriarchial structuralist
theory that includes truth as a whole."

Andrew Haley

Jun 15, 2007, 5:27:35 AM6/15/07

There is an old Irish joke, retold by Richard Dawkins, about somebody
in Northern Ireland who responded to a survey question about religious
affiliation by declaring himself an atheist. "Would that be a
Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?" came the insistent reply.

Andrew.

Budikka666

Jun 15, 2007, 5:36:22 AM6/15/07
On Jun 14, 7:37 pm, "kingdoodlesquat"

Duck & Run is just desperate for attention. Christianity gives him so
little that he's reaching out to anyone or anything which will give
him more. He just has no idea that validation cannot come from
outside! It must come from inside. Unfortunately for Puke, inside,
he's nothing but a huge vaccuum with a putrid cesspool at the bottom.
Even the much-deserved insults he gets here in a.a. make him feel
better than he feels when he looks inside himself.

Budikka

Robibnikoff

Jun 15, 2007, 8:48:11 AM6/15/07

"Michael Gray" <mike...@newsguy.com> wrote in message

Is that anything like a Jewish Hindu?

Oy, that's good curry! :)

Robibnikoff

Jun 15, 2007, 8:50:18 AM6/15/07

"Richo" <m.rich...@utas.edu.au> wrote in message

Well, the only thing I know about Fins is this guy who met an unfortunate
demise in "Hostel" :)

http://imdb.com/name/nm1898448/

Robibnikoff

Jun 15, 2007, 8:50:53 AM6/15/07

"MarkA" <nob...@nowhere.com> wrote in message

Seriously! Only so many hours in the day and all that rot ;)

DuhIdiot

Jun 15, 2007, 9:28:18 AM6/15/07
On Jun 14, 5:57 pm, "Michelle Malkin" <hypati...@comcast.net> wrote:
> "Aatu Koskensilta" <aatu.koskensi...@xortec.fi> wrote in message

560 pages for "a few results"! Nice touch.

> > for an introduction. These are exciting times for Infinitheists!
>
> > In the spirit of free inquiry, rationality, holding-of-hands and all
> > things good, I invite atheist to scrutinise the teachings of
> > Infinitheism. The impeccable logic, tedious attention to detail, lucid
> > prose, persuasive appeals to people's better nature, cogent arguments,
> > the atheist will find in the Infinitheistic literature will certainly
> > force them to abandon their folly, or, should they prove impervious to
> > logic, at least to deny a much greater number of Gods than they
> > previously managed. It's worth bearing in mind, though, that denying
> > an extendible number of Gods is much more taxing an undertaking than
> > denying just one God, or a small bunch of Gods -- any wimp can do
> > that, but it takes a mind of great determination, utmost rationality
> > and unwavering dedication to the Scientific Method to consider every
> > of the extendible number of Gods of Infinitheism, and reject each in
> > turn.
>
> > Footnotes:
>
> > [1] As no doubt everyone will recall, a cardinal kappa is
> > extendible if for every ordinal alpha there is an ordinal beta and an
> > elementary embedding j: V_kappa + alpha --> V_beta with kappa as its
> > critical point.
>
> > --

> > Aatu Koskensilta (aatu.koskensi...@xortec.fi)

> > "Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, daruber muss man schweigen"
> > - Ludwig Wittgenstein, Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus
>
> Very funny, especially the names.

No doubt! If not for the "playful/weasel" bit, I might have actually
bitten on this one.

Well mocked, A.K.

Hatter

Jun 15, 2007, 9:53:52 AM6/15/07
On Jun 15, 8:48 am, "Robibnikoff" <witchy...@broomstick.com> wrote:
> "Michael Gray" <mikeg...@newsguy.com> wrote in message

> > On 15 Jun 2007 00:01:09 +0300, Aatu Koskensilta
> >>The scant attention paid to polytheism in this group is occasionally
> >>lamented -- indeed it seems most atheists here are Christian atheists
>
> > What on earth is a "Christian atheist"??
>
> Is that anything like a Jewish Hindu?
>
> Oy, that's good curry! :)
> --
No Beef? No Pork? No Deal!

Hatter

Hatter

Jun 15, 2007, 10:03:39 AM6/15/07
On Jun 15, 4:24 am, raven1 <quoththera...@nevermore.com> wrote:
> On 15 Jun 2007 00:01:09 +0300, Aatu Koskensilta
>
> <aatu.koskensi...@xortec.fi> wrote:
> >There is some indication this might be about to change, in
> >e.g. the writings of P. Goorfleb where the axiom of playful universe
> >is applied to questions about the universal weasel and the
> >zero-dagger.
>
> This is a joke, right?
> --

Given "GOORFLEB" has only one other hit on google...and it is a repeat
of this same sort of nonesense....yeah that's a safe assumption.

Hatter

John Baker

Jun 15, 2007, 11:50:54 AM6/15/07
<aatu.kos...@xortec.fi> wrote:

>The scant attention paid to polytheism in this group is occasionally
>lamented -- indeed it seems most atheists here are Christian atheists

>60's. There is some indication this might be about to change, in

>e.g. the writings of P. Goorfleb where the axiom of playful universe
>is applied to questions about the universal weasel and the

>zero-dagger. See
>
> P. Goorfleb, "A few results about forcing over L(U), with an
> application to the classification problem for Gods", JIS 62(2), 2006,
> p. 765 - 1323
>

>for an introduction. These are exciting times for Infinitheists!
>
>In the spirit of free inquiry, rationality, holding-of-hands and all
>things good, I invite atheist to scrutinise the teachings of
>Infinitheism. The impeccable logic, tedious attention to detail, lucid
>prose, persuasive appeals to people's better nature, cogent arguments,
>the atheist will find in the Infinitheistic literature will certainly
>force them to abandon their folly, or, should they prove impervious to
>logic, at least to deny a much greater number of Gods than they
>previously managed. It's worth bearing in mind, though, that denying
>an extendible number of Gods is much more taxing an undertaking than
>denying just one God, or a small bunch of Gods -- any wimp can do
>that, but it takes a mind of great determination, utmost rationality
>and unwavering dedication to the Scientific Method to consider every
>of the extendible number of Gods of Infinitheism, and reject each in
>turn.
>
>Footnotes:
>
>[1] As no doubt everyone will recall, a cardinal kappa is
>extendible if for every ordinal alpha there is an ordinal beta and an
>elementary embedding j: V_kappa + alpha --> V_beta with kappa as its
>critical point.

I call Loki.

Robibnikoff

Jun 15, 2007, 12:32:19 PM6/15/07

"Hatter" <Hatt...@gmail.com> wrote in message

You gotta problem with poultry? ;)

bramble

Jun 15, 2007, 12:41:10 PM6/15/07
On 15 jun, 13:48, "Robibnikoff" <witchy...@broomstick.com> wrote:
> "Michael Gray" <mikeg...@newsguy.com> wrote in message

> > On 15 Jun 2007 00:01:09 +0300, Aatu Koskensilta
> >>The scant attention paid to polytheism in this group is occasionally
> >>lamented -- indeed it seems most atheists here are Christian atheists
>
> > What on earth is a "Christian atheist"??
>
> Is that anything like a Jewish Hindu?
>
> Oy, that's good curry! :)
> --
> Robyn
> Resident Witchypoo
> BAAWA Knight!

It is easy to understand. If you are in Northern Ireland and you say,
"I'm artheist" the other can ask you. "Well, but what kind of atheist
are you, catholic or protestant?"
If you are, for example traveling through India, some one can ask you,
"what's your favorit god?" And you answer, "I am an atheist." So he
says, "I see, you are a Christian atheist." So he thinks, "this guy
worships a Christian god named Athey."
Bramble.

Christopher A.Lee

Jun 15, 2007, 12:43:59 PM6/15/07

Lamb or goat.

Robibnikoff

Jun 15, 2007, 1:17:22 PM6/15/07

"Christopher A.Lee" <ca...@optonline.net> wrote in message

Eeeek! No! When you've known these animals as pets, it's a bit hard to
think about eating them :(

Hatter

Jun 15, 2007, 2:27:08 PM6/15/07
On Jun 15, 12:43 pm, Christopher A.Lee <c...@optonline.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 12:32:19 -0400, "Robibnikoff"
>

> <witchy...@broomstick.com> wrote:
>
> >"Hatter" <Hatte...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >> No Beef? No Pork? No Deal!
>
> >You gotta problem with poultry? ;)
>
> Lamb or goat.- Hide quoted text -

Oh man, it has been too long since I've had a good goat curry.

Hatter

Syd M.

Jun 15, 2007, 3:35:59 PM6/15/07
On Jun 15, 4:38 am, Michael Gray <mikeg...@newsguy.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 00:40:35 -0700, "Syd M." <pdwrigh...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> - Refer: <1181893235.461313.303...@p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>

> >On Jun 14, 6:47 pm, Michael Gray <mikeg...@newsguy.com> wrote:
> >> On 15 Jun 2007 00:01:09 +0300, Aatu Koskensilta<aatu.koskensi...@xortec.fi> wrote:
>
> >> - Refer: <877iq6qmi2....@huxley.huxley.fi>

> >> What on earth is a "Christian atheist"??
>
> >> :
>
> >> --
>
> >Prolly a christian who hates god..
>
> Or a God who doesn't believe Christians?
>
> --
If you were a god, would you?

PDW

Michael Gray

Jun 15, 2007, 7:31:16 PM6/15/07
On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 12:35:59 -0700, "Syd M." <pdwri...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
- Refer: <1181936159.4...@q69g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>

Bet yer wings I wouldn't!

Mark K. Bilbo

Jun 15, 2007, 9:28:43 PM6/15/07
On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 01:01:09 +0300, Aatu Koskensilta wrote:

> The scant attention paid to polytheism in this group is occasionally
> lamented -- indeed it seems most atheists here are Christian atheists

> of the American variety, peculiarly (so it appears to an observer from
> a largely secularised society) obsessed with the fine points of
> Christian dogmatics and theology, the Bible, the historicity of
> Jesus. Such lamentation is not without foundation, and it saddens me
> that Infinitheism, the doctrine that there is an infinite number of
> Gods, in particular has not been subjected to atheist reflection in
> years (the last post about Infinitheism in alt.atheism appears to be
> from early 90's).

Okay. Here we go.

We don't believe *you either.

--
Mark K. Bilbo a.a. #1423
EAC Department of Linguistic Subversion

Mark K. Bilbo

Jun 15, 2007, 9:29:28 PM6/15/07

Of course we do. An infinite amount of nothing is, well, nothing. We can
whip through that in an infintesimal...

Mark K. Bilbo

Jun 15, 2007, 9:29:59 PM6/15/07
On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 03:58:42 +0000, Enkidu wrote:

> Stephen Knight <woo...@comcast.net> wrote in
>
>> On 15 Jun 2007 00:01:09 +0300, Aatu Koskensilta

>> <aatu.kos...@xortec.fi> wrote:
>>

>>>The scant attention paid to polytheism in this group is occasionally
>>>lamented -- indeed it seems most atheists here are Christian atheists
>>>of the American variety,
>>

>> Ra sucks donkey dick. As well as Thor and Odin.
>>
>> Happy now?
>>
>> Atheists go after 'current' fantasy. What's the point in
>> destroying, by logic, ancient myths no one believes in?
>
> I don't know . . . if I was to pick a god to believe in, it wouldn't be
> any pussy "Prince of Peace" god. I'd pick Thor. I'd want my imaginary
> friend kickin' all the other kids' imaginary freinds' asses!

Besides, he's hot!

(Did I say that out loud?)

Mark K. Bilbo

Jun 15, 2007, 9:30:39 PM6/15/07

Yeah, they poop in my yard!

Enkidu

Jun 15, 2007, 10:37:15 PM6/15/07
"Mark K. Bilbo" <gm...@com.mkbilbo> wrote in

> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 03:58:42 +0000, Enkidu wrote:
>
>> Stephen Knight <woo...@comcast.net> wrote in

>>> Ra sucks donkey dick. As well as Thor and Odin.
>>>
>>> Happy now?
>>>
>>> Atheists go after 'current' fantasy. What's the point in
>>> destroying, by logic, ancient myths no one believes in?
>>
>> I don't know . . . if I was to pick a god to believe in, it wouldn't
>> be any pussy "Prince of Peace" god. I'd pick Thor. I'd want my
>> imaginary friend kickin' all the other kids' imaginary freinds'
>> asses!
>
> Besides, he's hot!
>
> (Did I say that out loud?)

I wouldn't ask him how the hammer's hangin'!

--
Enkidu AA#2165
EAC Chaplain and ordained minister,
ULC, Modesto, CA

It is the most unpopular ideas that deserve to be protected because the
popular ideas can take care of themselves. It is the minority views that
the majority might not agree with that are the heart of democracy.
-Hugh Hefner

Mark K. Bilbo

Jun 16, 2007, 5:33:06 PM6/16/07
On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 03:37:15 +0000, Enkidu wrote:

> "Mark K. Bilbo" <gm...@com.mkbilbo> wrote in
>
>> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 03:58:42 +0000, Enkidu wrote:
>>
>>> Stephen Knight <woo...@comcast.net> wrote in

>>> I don't know . . . if I was to pick a god to believe in, it wouldn't
>>> be any pussy "Prince of Peace" god. I'd pick Thor. I'd want my
>>> imaginary friend kickin' all the other kids' imaginary freinds'
>>> asses!
>>
>> Besides, he's hot!
>>
>> (Did I say that out loud?)
>
> I wouldn't ask him how the hammer's hangin'!

I might get a pounding?

(Um... wait)

Michael Gray

Jun 16, 2007, 10:32:14 PM6/16/07
On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 16:33:06 -0500, "Mark K. Bilbo"
<gm...@com.mkbilbo> wrote:
- Refer: <pan.2007.06.16....@com.mkbilbo>

>On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 03:37:15 +0000, Enkidu wrote:
>
>> "Mark K. Bilbo" <gm...@com.mkbilbo> wrote in

>>> Besides, he's hot!
>>>
>>> (Did I say that out loud?)
>>
>> I wouldn't ask him how the hammer's hangin'!
>
>I might get a pounding?
>
>(Um... wait)

Ouch! That would make it quite Thor.

Enkidu

Jun 16, 2007, 11:03:56 PM6/16/07
Michael Gray <mike...@newsguy.com> wrote in

I Woden't go there if I were you.

--
Enkidu AA#2165
EAC Chaplain and ordained minister,
ULC, Modesto, CA

Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who
are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it.
-Mark Twain

Syd M.

Jun 17, 2007, 12:17:56 AM6/17/07
On Jun 15, 7:31 pm, Michael Gray <mikeg...@newsguy.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 12:35:59 -0700, "Syd M." <pdwrigh...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> - Refer: <1181936159.445081.252...@q69g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>
Wouldn't want some of his spokespeople, either..

PDW, FOAD, Robertson!

Mark K. Bilbo

Jun 17, 2007, 10:31:39 AM6/17/07

Now don't be a prick...

Richo

Jun 17, 2007, 8:32:09 PM6/17/07
On Jun 18, 12:31 am, "Mark K. Bilbo" <g...@com.mkbilbo> wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 13:02:14 +0930, Michael Gray wrote:
> > On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 16:33:06 -0500, "Mark K. Bilbo"
> > <g...@com.mkbilbo> wrote:
> > - Refer: <pan.2007.06.16.21.32.56.166...@com.mkbilbo>

> >>I might get a pounding?
>
> >>(Um... wait)
>
> > Ouch! That would make it quite Thor.
>
> Now don't be a prick...

Your Thor! I am tho Thor I can hardly walk!

8-)

Mark.

Michael Gray

Jun 17, 2007, 10:01:09 PM6/17/07
On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 09:31:39 -0500, "Mark K. Bilbo"
<gm...@com.mkbilbo> wrote:
- Refer: <pan.2007.06.17...@com.mkbilbo>

Frigg off!

Mark K. Bilbo

Jun 17, 2007, 10:18:18 PM6/17/07

Now Loki here!

Michael Gray

Jun 18, 2007, 2:18:31 AM6/18/07
On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 21:18:18 -0500, "Mark K. Bilbo"
<gm...@com.mkbilbo> wrote:
- Refer: <pan.2007.06.18....@com.mkbilbo>

"Thrice I smites with Holy Crock
With this mell* I thrice do knock
One for god, and one for Wod,
And one for Lok."

(Old Lincolnshire saying)

* hammer

Mark K. Bilbo

Jun 18, 2007, 10:59:14 AM6/18/07

Lok? Luck? Knock on wood for luck?

Do I smell an etymology?

Ash

Jun 18, 2007, 5:14:06 PM6/18/07
Aatu Koskensilta wrote:
> The scant attention paid to polytheism in this group is occasionally
> lamented --

snip

there you go, now that you have brought it up I am sure many people
will tell you it is idiotic.
Or, are you deluded enough to think that lots of people are going to
come in and post "I don't know any Infinitheists, no one has any opinion
on me for not being one, the government doesn't push it and the view not
only has no impact on my life, it has no contact with my life, so I
really want to show how foolish it is"

Michael Gray

Jun 18, 2007, 9:19:02 PM6/18/07
On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 09:59:14 -0500, "Mark K. Bilbo"

:

>> "Thrice I smites with Holy Crock
>> With this mell* I thrice do knock
>> One for god, and one for Wod,
>> And one for Lok."
>>
>> (Old Lincolnshire saying)
>>
>> * hammer
>
>Lok? Luck? Knock on wood for luck?
>
>Do I smell an etymology?

I suspect a folk conflation of homonyms, but perhaps not homophones.
("Luck" was pronounced "Luke" where and when the ditty was spoken, and
"Wood" rhymed with "Rude".)

Hilda Roderick Ellis Davidson, FSA (PhD in the pagan beliefs of
Scandinavia) says:
"It is tempting to see this as a folk survival of belief in three
heathen gods, Thor of the hammer, Woden, and Loki, and some Danish and
German scholars accept it as such, and built up elaborate theories
accordingly.
But this isolated scrap of doggerel, which moreover was recorded in at
least three different versions by the clergyman in question, is an
extremeley fragile foundation on which to base assumptions concerning
the beliefs of the Danes in Lincolnshire in the ninth century."

Does that help?
Probably not...

Michelle Malkin

Jun 18, 2007, 10:28:46 PM6/18/07
"Ash" <ash.a...@virgin.net> wrote in message

Has this troll responded to even one of the people
who responded to him? I haven't seen him reply
to anyone. He's just trying to waste peoples' time.

Aatu Koskensilta

Jun 20, 2007, 11:23:58 AM6/20/07
DuhIdiot <jmas...@alltel.net> writes:

> On Jun 14, 5:57 pm, "Michelle Malkin" <hypati...@comcast.net> wrote:
> No doubt! If not for the "playful/weasel" bit, I might have actually
> bitten on this one.

Admittedly technical terminology from axiomatic set theory --
descriptive set theory and inner model theory in this case, to be
specific -- can be a bit intimidating; the jargon can be easily
explained, though, and the universal weasel, for example, is nothing
but a pre-mouse that wins other pre-mice in co-iteration. You'll find
more information in any decent exposition of inner model theory.

--
Aatu Koskensilta (aatu.kos...@xortec.fi)

"Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, daruber muss man schweigen"

Ash

Jun 20, 2007, 2:29:41 PM6/20/07
Probably not. I really need to learn top see which of the trolls might
stay around, and which are hit and run before I bother replying

Michelle Malkin

Jun 20, 2007, 3:49:15 PM6/20/07

> DuhIdiot <jmas...@alltel.net> writes:
>
>> On Jun 14, 5:57 pm, "Michelle Malkin" <hypati...@comcast.net> wrote:
>> No doubt! If not for the "playful/weasel" bit, I might have actually
>> bitten on this one.

I didn't write that. You deleted everything that I did write.
Get your attributions straight.

Here is what I wrote in two messages:

Has this troll responded to even one of the people
who responded to him? I haven't seen him reply
to anyone. He's just trying to waste peoples' time.

Very funny, especially the names.

--
^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^ ^^
Michelle Malkin (Mickey) aa list#1

> Admittedly technical terminology from axiomatic set theory --
> descriptive set theory and inner model theory in this case, to be
> specific -- can be a bit intimidating; the jargon can be easily
> explained, though, and the universal weasel, for example, is nothing
> but a pre-mouse that wins other pre-mice in co-iteration. You'll find
> more information in any decent exposition of inner model theory.

Is this in response to a message I wrote to Jabriol?
I wanted him to answer.

Michelle Malkin

Jun 21, 2007, 3:11:48 PM6/21/07