Ricky Dick Santorum defends role of religion in political decisions

1 view

johac

Jan 12, 2005, 2:22:25 AM1/12/05
Another one of our fine Senators. This article would be funny except for
this part: "Santorum, though, often is mentioned as a possible GOP
presidential candidate." Santorum, though, often is mentioned as a
possible GOP presidential candidate." That's scary.

---

Santorum defends role of religion in political decisions

By Megan McCloskey
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, January 12, 2005

U.S. Sen. Rick Santorum views his job through the lens of his Roman
Catholic faith and isn't afraid of the consequences, he told a largely
Catholic audience Tuesday night.

The "great gift of America," he said, is that "we are free to espouse
that faith in the public square."

Santorum spoke on faith and political life at St. Paul Seminary in
Crafton as part of the Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh's lecture series,
"Faithful Citizenship."

Santorum, who was elected in 1995 and is the third-ranking Republican in
the U.S. Senate, said he dismisses any talk about zealotry from his
colleagues because he believes the fabric of democracy lies in religion.

"If we divorce public life from faith, freedom itself will fail," he
said.

Since President Bush won re-election Nov. 2 -- aided greatly by
religious voters -- conservative politicians have been increasingly
emboldened to speak more openly about the role that faith plays in their
public decision-making.

Santorum is known in Washington for his staunch determination to make
traditional values the focus of the political forum. The senator from
Penn Hills often is the leading Republican voice on social issues,
sometimes to ill effect.

Santorum was heavily criticized, including by some in his own party, in
April 2003 for remarks to The Associated Press about homosexuality,
which he compared to incest, bigamy and adultery.

Santorum, though, often is mentioned as a possible GOP presidential
candidate.

Santorum talked last night about his anger at what he sees as an unfair
presumption of neutrality given to politicians who don't bring faith
into the public forum.

"If decisions are influenced by faith, it's somehow illegitimate," he
said.

Members of the Association of Pittsburgh Priests attended Santorum's
speech. They distributed an open letter to the senator that calls for
his pro-life stance to encompass more than the abortion issue.

The letter also admonishes the senator for his support of the war in
Iraq and the death penalty.

"We shouldn't give someone a free pass because they're good on one or
two issues," said the Rev. Jack O'Malley, an association member who is
chaplain for the state's AFL-CIO.

---

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/trib/pittsburgh/s_292267.h
tml
--
John Hachmann aa #1782

Intelligent Design has as much to do with science as reality
television has to do with reality. - Barry Lynn on CNN 12/25/04

towelie

Jan 12, 2005, 5:00:08 AM1/12/05
TV's johac wrote:
> Another one of our fine Senators. This article would be funny except for
> this part: "Santorum, though, often is mentioned as a possible GOP
> presidential candidate." Santorum, though, often is mentioned as a
> possible GOP presidential candidate." That's scary.

I stepped in a nasty puddle of santorum in the rest room at a roadside park
the other day.

--

"Shake says that books are from the devil, and that TV is twice as fast" -
Meatwad

johac

Jan 14, 2005, 1:18:40 AM1/14/05
In article <34kap4F...@individual.net>,
"towelie" <bugoN...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> TV's johac wrote:
> > Another one of our fine Senators. This article would be funny except for
> > this part: "Santorum, though, often is mentioned as a possible GOP
> > presidential candidate." Santorum, though, often is mentioned as a
> > possible GOP presidential candidate." That's scary.
>
> I stepped in a nasty puddle of santorum in the rest room at a roadside park
> the other day.

That's about the only position that this guy sounds qualified for.
Roadside rest room attendant.