Fox viewers were badly misinformed about Iraq war

John Manning

Sep 4, 2009, 12:18:05 PM9/4/09

~~ Study shows Fox News viewers misinformed about war, Iraq, WMD ~~

I have naively believed for years that staying informed about current
events by getting some news is better than blissful ignorance derived
from getting no news. Then Fox News Channel helped demonstrate just how
wrong I was.

The Program on International Policy Attitudes at the University of
Maryland conducted a thorough study of public knowledge and attitudes
about current events and the war on terrorism. Researchers found that
the public�s mistaken impressions of three facets of U.S. foreign policy
� discovery of alleged WMD in Iraq, alleged Iraqi involvement in 9/11,
and international support for a U.S. invasion of Iraq � helped fuel
support for the war.

While the PIPA study concluded that most Americans (over 60%) held at
least one of these mistaken impressions, the researchers also concluded
that Americans� opinions were shaped in large part by which news outlet
they relied upon to receive their information.

As the researchers explained in their report, �The extent of Americans�
misperceptions vary significantly depending on their source of news.
Those who receive most of their news from Fox News are more likely than
average to have misperceptions. Those who receive most of their news
from NPR or PBS are less likely to have misperceptions. These variations
cannot simply be explained as a result of differences in the demographic
characteristics of each audience, because these variations can also be
found when comparing the demographic subgroups of each audience.�

Almost shocking was the extent to which Fox News viewers were mistaken.
Those who relied on the conservative network for news, PIPA reported,
were �three times more likely than the next nearest network to hold all
three misperceptions. In the audience for NPR/PBS, however, there was an
overwhelming majority who did not have any of the three misperceptions,
and hardly any had all three.�

Looking at the misperceptions one at a time, people were asked, for
example, if the U.S. had discovered the alleged stockpiles of WMD in
Iraq since the war began. Just 11% of those who relied on newspapers as
their �primary news source� incorrectly believed that U.S. forces had
made such a discovery. Only slightly more � 17% � of those who relied on
NPR and PBS were wrong. Yet 33% of Fox News viewers were wrong, far
ahead of those who relied on any other outlet.

Likewise, when people were asked if the U.S. had �clear evidence� that
Saddam Hussein was �working closely with al Queda,� similar results were
found. Only 16% of NPR and PBS listeners/viewers believed that the U.S.
has such evidence, while 67% of Fox News viewers were under that
mistaken impression.

Overall, 80 percent of those who relied on Fox News as their primary
news source believed at least one of the three misperceptions.
Viewers/listeners/readers of other news outlets didn�t even come close
to this total.

In other words, Fox News viewers are literally less informed about these
basic facts. They have, put simply, been led to believe things that are
simply not true. These poor dupes would have done better in this survey,
statistically speaking, if they received no news at all and simply
guessed whether the claims were accurate.

And, in addition to a fun bash-Fox-athon, I wanted to add that the PIPA
study also documented that those who relied on newspapers as their
primary news source were better informed than those who watched any of
the television news broadcasts. The only folks more informed than
newspaper readers were NPR listeners.

http://www.thecarpetbaggerreport.com/archives/714.html

hoser1605

Sep 4, 2009, 1:25:27 PM9/4/09
On Sep 4, 12:18 pm, John Manning <jrobe...@terra.com.br> wrote:
> [...]

> Overall, 80 percent of those who relied on Fox News as their primary
> news source believed at least one of the three misperceptions.
> Viewers/listeners/readers of other news outlets didn’t even come close

> to this total.
>
> In other words, Fox News viewers are literally less informed about these
> basic facts. They have, put simply, been led to believe things that are
> simply not true. These poor dupes would have done better in this survey,
> statistically speaking, if they received no news at all and simply
> guessed whether the claims were accurate.
>
> And, in addition to a fun bash-Fox-athon, I wanted to add that the PIPA
> study also documented that those who relied on newspapers as their
> primary news source were better informed than those who watched any of
> the television news broadcasts. The only folks more informed than

Absolutely no reason to doubt any of the findings. I actually watched
Fox a few times. Awful junk.

Escape_the_Cult_Now

Sep 4, 2009, 2:45:39 PM9/4/09

"John Manning" <jrob...@terra.com.br> wrote in message

> ~~ Study shows CNN, and other liberal News viewers are misinformed about
> everything. What CNN never shows.

http://www.examiner.com/x-14143-Orange-County-Conservative-
Examiner~y2009m8d14-Obama-is-scamming-America-by-planting-
fake-MD-at-a-town-hall-meetings

Copy and past link

Once again happened at a Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-18)
town town meeting. Lee also used public funds to attend
Michael Jackon's furneral.
------
The first Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-18)
abusive behavior happened when she talked on a cell phone thus
avoiding having to talk to a white woman likely because she
feels she is superior and wanted to let her know that. Of
course, the real reason is she is to dumb to answer the
question, is always acting that way, and is if the ilk that
if she lies her way out of any situation that makes it so.

If this was a Republican people would be booting her out
of her position, and lawmakers would be charging her.

The website contains the article and a video.

--------------

duke

Sep 5, 2009, 10:49:46 AM9/5/09
On Fri, 04 Sep 2009 13:18:05 -0300, John Manning <jrob...@terra.com.br> wrote:

>~~ Study shows Fox News viewers misinformed about war, Iraq, WMD ~~

You mean that msnbc study?

The Dukester, American-American
*****
Pope Paul VI
*****

duke

Sep 5, 2009, 10:51:06 AM9/5/09
On Fri, 4 Sep 2009 10:25:27 -0700 (PDT), hoser1605 <dhh...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Absolutely no reason to doubt any of the findings. I actually watched
>Fox a few times. Awful junk.

I only watch Fox. They get the same news feeds as abc, cbs, nbc, cnn, and
msnbc. Fox just doesn't hide the bad news like the rest do.

John Manning

Sep 5, 2009, 10:57:46 AM9/5/09
duke wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Sep 2009 13:18:05 -0300, John Manning <jrob...@terra.com.br> wrote:
>
>> ~~ Study shows Fox News viewers misinformed about war, Iraq, WMD ~~
>
> You mean that msnbc study?

The ignorant back woods hick apparently can't read:

--The Program on International Policy Attitudes [PIPA] at the University

of Maryland conducted a thorough study of public knowledge and attitudes
about current events and the war on terrorism. Researchers found that
the public�s mistaken impressions of three facets of U.S. foreign policy
� discovery of alleged WMD in Iraq, alleged Iraqi involvement in 9/11,
and international support for a U.S. invasion of Iraq � helped fuel
support for the war.

While the PIPA study concluded that most Americans (over 60%) held at
least one of these mistaken impressions, the researchers also concluded
that Americans� opinions were shaped in large part by which news outlet
they relied upon to receive their information.

As the researchers explained in their report, �The extent of Americans�
misperceptions vary significantly depending on their source of news.
Those who receive most of their news from Fox News are more likely than
average to have misperceptions.

> The Dukester, American-American

duke

Sep 6, 2009, 9:28:12 AM9/6/09
On Sat, 05 Sep 2009 11:57:46 -0300, John Manning <jrob...@terra.com.br> wrote:

>duke wrote:
>> On Fri, 04 Sep 2009 13:18:05 -0300, John Manning <jrob...@terra.com.br> wrote:
>>
>>> ~~ Study shows Fox News viewers misinformed about war, Iraq, WMD ~~
>>
>> You mean that msnbc study?

>The ignorant back woods hick apparently can't read:

>--The Program on International Policy Attitudes [PIPA] at the University
>of Maryland conducted a thorough study of public knowledge and attitudes
>about current events and the war on terrorism. Researchers found that

>the public�s mistaken impressions of three facets of U.S. foreign policy
>� discovery of alleged WMD in Iraq, alleged Iraqi involvement in 9/11,
>and international support for a U.S. invasion of Iraq � helped fuel
>support for the war.

1. At least VP Cheney went of national tv THEN to demonstrate what we as a
country anticipated in terms of wmds and poison gas, which Iraq had before, used
before despite the ban following WW2, and announced the expansion of their
capability of .

2. I, for one, never thought Iraq to be involved (directly) in 911, other than
as in alqueda training and possibly funding. I always understood our return to
Iraq as a means of shutting down wmds and nuke development, and the long held
feelings that issues with Israeli attacks would start WW3 as a nuke war. Our
entrance into Iraq was announced over and over and over by President Bush and
others to be in accordance with in-place and active Ununited Nations resolutions
authorizing a return as needed. And saddam well left his intentions in place.

>While the PIPA study concluded that most Americans (over 60%) held at
>least one of these mistaken impressions, the researchers also concluded

>that Americans� opinions were shaped in large part by which news outlet

>they relied upon to receive their information.

Gosh (gasp), does this mean we can't trust ANY news outlet to be truthful?

>As the researchers explained in their report, �The extent of Americans�

>misperceptions vary significantly depending on their source of news.
>Those who receive most of their news from Fox News are more likely than
>average to have misperceptions.

Mine above were clearly forged by FOX News.