Report: Over 350 Public Schools Teaching the Bible

Oct 25, 2009, 6:11:45 PM10/25/09
Regardless of one's personal religious beliefs, no sensible person could
argue against teaching the Bible in public schools. This is the most
influential book in the world and knowledge of it can only benefit it's
students.

http://www.christianpost.com/article/20090929/report-over-350-public-schools-teaching-the-bible/index.html

Report: Over 350 Public Schools Teaching the Bible

By Nathan Black
Christian Post Reporter

More than 350 schools in 43 states have implemented courses on the Bible for
the 2009-2010 academic year, a new report reveals.

Leading the pack is Texas where more than 50 schools are teaching the course
this fall, according to data from the Bible Literacy Project, which
publishes The Bible and Its Influence, a student textbook designed for
public school courses on the Bible.

Right behind Texas, schools in Georgia, California and Indiana are widely
teaching lessons on the Bible using the Bible Literacy textbook. More than
10 percent of Georgia public high schools and more than 5 percent of public
high schools in Alabama, Indiana and South Carolina are utilizing the
program, said Chuck Stetson, chairman of the Bible Literacy Project board.

The Bible and Its Influence - reviewed by 40 religious and legal scholars
representing evangelical, mainline Protestant, Catholic, Orthodox and Jewish
communities - is reportedly the first student textbook that fulfills the
legal standards of The Bible & Public Schools: A First Amendment Guide.

It was released in September 2005 and the primary goal of the course is
biblical literacy. While providing an academic study of biblical narratives
and their influence on literature and culture, the course does not promote
or discourage religious belief, the Bible Literacy Project insists.

Their approach is academic and not devotional, and academic study of the
Bible in public schools is legal in all 50 states, the organization says.

Increasing knowledge about the Bible is part of a good education; but
teaching what to believe belongs in the home," the non-profit states. "We
advocate providing a well-rounded, thorough education that includes the
basic information students need to fully understand literature, as well as
art, music, history and culture."

A 2004 Gallup poll found just 8 percent of public school teens said their
schools offered an elective Bible course. But public-school courses on the
Bible have been rising in popularity over the past several years.

In 2007, the Texas legislature passed a law requiring public high schools to
teach Bible literacy beginning in the 2009-2010 school year. The state law,
however, did not provide any specific guidelines or teacher training and
left many educators confused.

Some Texas high schools are offering an elective course on the Bible this
year while others have chosen to incorporate the lessons into current
classes. Still others maintain that religious literature is already taught
in their current courses.

The Bible Literacy Project, meanwhile, has made online teacher training
available. In partnership with Concordia University's College of Education
in Portland, Ore., the organization is sponsoring graduate-level courses on
how to teach a legal, rigorous and academic public high school class on the
Bible.

The organization is currently seeking to reach educators in the remaining
seven states - Delaware, Iowa, Montana, Nevada, Rhode Island, Utah, and
Wyoming - that have yet to utilize The Bible and Its Influence.

"We welcome the opportunity to show these remaining states the strength of
our program," said Stetson.

--
J Young
Jvis...@live.com

W.T.S.

Oct 25, 2009, 6:17:12 PM10/25/09
"J" <Jvis...@live.com> wrote in message

> Regardless of one's personal religious beliefs, no sensible person could
> argue against teaching the Bible in public schools. This is the most
> influential book in the world and knowledge of it can only benefit it's
> students.
> http://www.christianpost.com/article/20090929/report-over-350-public-schools-teaching-the-bible/index.html
How about the Koran, it's certainly making history? How about Hindu,
Buddhist, Witchcraft, anything concerning religion.
By the way, _which_ version of the Bible? There's more than one. And,
where is it kept in the library, under "fiction"?

Bill M

Oct 25, 2009, 2:13:52 PM10/25/09

> Regardless of one's personal religious beliefs, no sensible person could
> argue against teaching the Bible in public schools. This is the most
> influential book in the world and knowledge of it can only benefit it's
> students.

Only in your uneducated OPINION!

There is a wealth of different religious documents that proclaim the
validity of various Gods. Which, if any, are correct?

Here are just some of the religious texts and documents;

Baha'i Sacrid writtings

Life of Buddha - Dhammapada - Pali cannon

The Bible - Christian religious documents - 18 English versions alone.

NO, NADA originals of the old or new testaments exist.

The Book of Mormon - Church of Latter Day Saints

The Analects - Confuscianism

The Eddas and Sagas - Icelandic beliefs

Wicca - Neo paganism of Greece and Rome

Bhagavgita and Rig Veda - Hinduism

Qur'an - Islam

Adi Granth and Dasam Granth - canonical scripture of the Sikhs

Tanakh - Jewism

Tao-Te-Ching - Taoism

Nag Hammadi - Gnostics

Zhuan Falun - Falun Gong

Of all these different Gods and belief systems which is the true one, if
any, and which are fakes? None of these documents are any objective
evidence. They are all documents written, hand copied, modified and further
copied, over the centuries, by errant men with their own personal and
selfish motivations. All of these documents, except the Book of Morman, were
hand written and hand copied over the centuries before the invention of the
printing press. There is no way to determine authenticity or accuracy of any
of these or any others. The objective evidence is that they are a mixture of
inaccurate history, myths, folklore and legend.

Mitchell Holman

Oct 25, 2009, 9:06:04 PM10/25/09
"J" <Jvis...@live.com> wrote in news:37v802....@news.alt.net:

> Regardless of one's personal religious beliefs, no sensible person
> could argue against teaching the Bible in public schools. This is the
> most influential book in the world and knowledge of it can only
> benefit it's students.

Just wait until the teacher gets to the parts about
Onan spilling his seed on the ground and God ordering
the Jews to kill children and cutting off the foreskins
of soldiers and rules for having sex with women during
their periods.

Or are those bits not on the curriculum?

Yap

Oct 25, 2009, 9:30:50 PM10/25/09
On Oct 26, 9:06 am, Mitchell Holman <noem...@comcast.net> wrote:
> "J" <Jvisi...@live.com> wrote innews:37v802....@news.alt.net:

Oh, come on.
How can they be so truthful and assigned any misdeed to their god?
It must the the wicked human who wrote it.
Cherry picking session has never ended in the loony world.

Mr. B

Oct 25, 2009, 11:26:00 PM10/25/09
J wrote:

> Regardless of one's personal religious beliefs, no sensible person could
> argue against teaching the Bible in public schools.

Teaching about the bible, for what it is: the mythology of Jews and
Christians. That is not something I have a problem with, so long as equal
treatment is given to other mythologies, in particular those mythologies
that most influenced the bible (Greek and Egyptian).

> This is the most
> influential book in the world and knowledge of it can only benefit it's
> students.

I would rank the Qu'ran a little higher, since Islam has more adherents than
Judaism and Christianity combined.

-- B

Eris

Oct 25, 2009, 11:42:16 PM10/25/09
On Oct 25, 6:11 pm, "J" <Jvisi...@live.com> wrote:
> Regardless of one's personal religious beliefs, no sensible person could
> argue against teaching the Bible in public schools. This is the most
> influential book in the world and knowledge of it can only benefit it's
> students.
>
> http://www.christianpost.com/article/20090929/report-over-350-public-...
> Jvisi...@live.com

Actually the more people know about the holy babble the better off we
all are. Teach it as it is don't slant it either way, make sure the
kids know exactly what it says.

Majd al-Din

Oct 26, 2009, 12:39:49 AM10/26/09

Propaganda Ministers and lying fucking jews never tell the real truth.
Don't forget that Abraham as wealthy as he was became the worlds first
documented DeadBeat Daddy. He also broke biblical law that left
everything to the first born son. Doesn't it make you wonder about young
people getti8ng this killing new Swine flu. Sounds like something right
out of a biological warfare laboratory in Israel.

Hermann

Oct 26, 2009, 12:41:47 AM10/26/09

Just proof absolute that there are morons that ascribe to almost
anything in any religious myth sale.

> -- B

Alexander

Oct 26, 2009, 12:44:48 AM10/26/09

Teach the Do shalt not Commandments sans the worship some mythical God
bit and toss the rest. Teach the Sciences instead and we will have a
better world. Any fool can invent a religion. Scientology is a good
example and it sure makes more sense then the 3 main religions of old.

Syd M.

Oct 26, 2009, 2:46:55 AM10/26/09
On Oct 25, 6:11 pm, "J" <Jvisi...@live.com> wrote:
> Regardless of one's personal religious beliefs, no sensible person could
> argue against teaching the Bible in public schools. This is the most
> influential book in the world and knowledge of it can only benefit it's
> students.

Yeah, it has caused the most bloody wars and atrocities ever seen.
That is why it should be kept out of the hands of children. That, and
it's badly written and pornographic to boot.

PDW

Ivantheterrible

Oct 26, 2009, 10:19:13 AM10/26/09

Not so. As of the 1997 census, Jews represented 0.2% of the Earth's
population, Christians represented 33% and Moslems were tabbed at 28%.

last_per...@yahoo.com

Oct 26, 2009, 10:46:48 AM10/26/09
On Oct 25, 6:11 pm, "J" <Jvisi...@live.com> wrote:
> Regardless of one's personal religious beliefs, no sensible person could
> argue against teaching the Bible in public schools. This is the most
> influential book in the world and knowledge of it can only benefit it's
> students.
>
> http://www.christianpost.com/article/20090929/report-over-350-public-...

> Report: Over 350 Public Schools Teaching the Bible

When I was a kid, every year, our public school would hand out little
red
New Testament bibles to every 5th grader. Good to see the policy
coming
back.

> Jvisi...@live.com

last_per...@yahoo.com

Oct 26, 2009, 10:47:49 AM10/26/09
On Oct 25, 9:06 pm, Mitchell Holman <noem...@comcast.net> wrote:
> "J" <Jvisi...@live.com> wrote innews:37v802....@news.alt.net:

All this is just Old Testament Jewish bullshit. Most intelligent
people
pay no attention.

Davej

Oct 26, 2009, 10:49:20 AM10/26/09
On Oct 25, 4:11 pm, "J" <Jvisi...@live.com> wrote:
> Regardless of one's personal religious beliefs, no sensible person could
> argue against teaching the Bible in public schools. This is the most
> influential book in the world and knowledge of it can only benefit it's
> students.

Hey, reading the Bible is what made me an atheist. Moses didn't carry
it down from the mount. It was written by men.

Mike Painter

Oct 26, 2009, 1:05:12 PM10/26/09
J wrote:
> Regardless of one's personal religious beliefs, no sensible person
> could argue against teaching the Bible in public schools. This is the
> most influential book in the world and knowledge of it can only
> benefit it's students.

Bible CliffsNotes

Adam and Eve
Kill, kill, kill
KILL
Moses
kill
KILL KILL
Christ
Be nice to each other
Cruicify
Kill

FreeThink

Oct 26, 2009, 2:16:31 PM10/26/09

Are you sure your not thinking of a book authored by a chairman Mao?
That one was influential as well but just as worthless.

MarkA

Oct 26, 2009, 4:19:54 PM10/26/09
On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 18:11:45 -0400, J wrote:

> Regardless of one's personal religious beliefs, no sensible person could
> argue against teaching the Bible in public schools. This is the most
> influential book in the world and knowledge of it can only benefit it's
> students.

There's no question that the Bible has had a huge influence on
civilization. The problem is that if you teach it in public school
without giving it the reverence that the Bible-thumpers insist upon, you
are going to infuriate a whole bunch of fundies. As it is, the "Bible
Literacy Project" is just a smoke-and-mirrors campaign to get religion
into public schools. Try teaching it as a book of mythology, tracing its
roots back to earlier pagan traditions, and see how happy the BLP members
are.

--
MarkA
Keeper of the Butter Dish of Balshazar

Mike

Oct 26, 2009, 4:03:01 PM10/26/09
On Oct 25, 6:17 pm, "W.T.S." <m...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> "J" <Jvisi...@live.com> wrote in message

> news:37v802....@news.alt.net...> Regardless of one's personal religious beliefs, no sensible person could
> > argue against teaching the Bible in public schools. This is the most
> > influential book in the world and knowledge of it can only benefit it's
> > students.
> >http://www.christianpost.com/article/20090929/report-over-350-public-...

> How about the Koran, it's certainly making history?  How about Hindu,
> Buddhist, Witchcraft, anything concerning religion.
> By the way, _which_ version of the Bible?

In a heavily Hispanic part of Texas they had a debate over which
Spanish translation of the Holy Babble to use. One of the yokels
famously said: If English was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough
for the state of Texas!

Mike

Oct 26, 2009, 4:05:49 PM10/26/09

Great. Now would you please write a letter to the entire state of
Texas that the OT is bullshit that should be ignored? In case you
haven't noticed, America is becoming a theo-freak show.

last_per...@yahoo.com

Oct 26, 2009, 4:07:14 PM10/26/09

All FeetStink remembers about 5th grade are wedgees. Grew up to
be cornhole.

pandora

Oct 26, 2009, 4:44:40 PM10/26/09
W.T.S. wrote:

Nah. It's kept under "Myths and Fables of the Ancient World."

Mitchell Holman

Oct 26, 2009, 6:09:35 PM10/26/09
last_per...@yahoo.com wrote in news:47d54f3d-b1f6-4687-97e7-
24399c...@o36g2000vbl.googlegroups.com:

Just like the Ten Commandments?

> Most intelligent
> people
> pay no attention.

Unless it being used justify their
homophobia or racism or misoginy. Then
Old Testament quotes become suddenly
"the Inerrant Word of God".

FreeThink

Oct 27, 2009, 1:53:34 PM10/27/09

Just personal insults then? Typical.

Larry

Oct 27, 2009, 8:24:55 PM10/27/09
"Bill M" <wm...@bellsouth.net> wrote in news:TY4Fm.109537$944.54035
@newsfe09.iad:

> Of all these different Gods and belief systems which is the true one, if
> any, and which are fakes?

Your list is way incomplete:

http://www.godchecker.com/

over 2,850 of 'em there....Take your pick.

We won't even have to worry about teaching them how to make a living.
They'll all be standing around praising and singing until they starve to
death in a moneyless disaster.

--
Larry

Larry

Oct 27, 2009, 8:26:46 PM10/27/09
Mitchell Holman <noe...@comcast.net> wrote in

What about the Quran's rules on old men marrying the 9-year-olds in the
class? Will we be teaching them Islam's Sharia law on child bride sex?

"Holy Shit!" - George Carlin

--
Larry

Larry

Oct 27, 2009, 8:32:50 PM10/27/09
Majd al-Din <Is...@Sucks.com> wrote in news:7kkngjF389n1oU1
@mid.individual.net:

> Sounds like something right
> out of a biological warfare laboratory in Israel.

Eugenics - Zionist style.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=
8nsOpLcSDFo&feature=PlayList&p=E9C3DC899E448681&index=43

They even kill their own kind....Like arab tribes do.

Israel is racism at its worst. Ask any of these Sephardic Jews....over
100,000 were irradiated to die horrible deaths at the hands of the Zionist
state.

--
Larry

last_per...@yahoo.com

Oct 27, 2009, 8:49:20 PM10/27/09
On Oct 27, 1:53 pm, FreeThink <zeno7772...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > Are you sure your not thinking of a book authored by a chairman Mao?
> > > That one was influential as well but just as worthless.
>
> > All FeetStink remembers about 5th grade are wedgees.  Grew up to
> > be cornhole.
>
> Just personal insults then? Typical.

So how would you classify your response, FeetStink?
Cornhole logic at its best.

FreeThink

Oct 28, 2009, 9:58:18 AM10/28/09

Substantiate that claim or go tell mommy and daddy that you are using
their computer.

last_per...@yahoo.com

Oct 28, 2009, 9:59:22 AM10/28/09

FeetStink, running low as always.

Matt Silberstein

Oct 28, 2009, 4:13:11 PM10/28/09
On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 18:11:45 -0400, in alt.atheism , "J"
<Jvis...@live.com> in <37v802....@news.alt.net> wrote:

>Regardless of one's personal religious beliefs, no sensible person could
>argue against teaching the Bible in public schools. This is the most
>influential book in the world and knowledge of it can only benefit it's
>students.

As long as they teach that there are lots of different views, as long
as they teach that the best scientific position is some form of the
Documentary Hypothesis, sure.

[snip]

--
Matt Silberstein

Do something today about the Darfur Genocide

http://www.beawitness.org
http://www.darfurgenocide.org
http://www.savedarfur.org

"Darfur: A Genocide We can Stop"