T.O.T. Help with Linux WLAN.

Dubh Ghall

Jan 14, 2007, 1:18:14 PM1/14/07

HeeeeeelllllP.

Does anyone know of a USB, wireless dongle, that has Linux drivers included, or
one that I can get drivers for?

I'm using Netgear WG111s and WG111Ts at he moment, but Ubuntu can't see them.

--
The spelling Like any opinion stated here
purely my own

#162 BAAWA Knight.

MarkA

Jan 15, 2007, 12:03:59 PM1/15/07
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 18:18:14 +0000, Dubh Ghall wrote:

> HeeeeeelllllP.
>
> Does anyone know of a USB, wireless dongle, that has Linux drivers
> included, or one that I can get drivers for?
>
> I'm using Netgear WG111s and WG111Ts at he moment, but Ubuntu can't see
> them.

Have you tried ndiswrapper? It allows you to use the Windows drivers
under Linux. If that doesn't work, you may have to break down and buy a
new wireless adapter.

--
MarkA
(still caught in the maze of twisty little passages, all different)

Dubh Ghall

Jan 15, 2007, 2:05:19 PM1/15/07
On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 12:03:59 -0500, MarkA <mant...@stopspam.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 18:18:14 +0000, Dubh Ghall wrote:
>

>> HeeeeeelllllP.
>>
>> Does anyone know of a USB, wireless dongle, that has Linux drivers
>> included, or one that I can get drivers for?
>>
>> I'm using Netgear WG111s and WG111Ts at he moment, but Ubuntu can't see
>> them.
>
>Have you tried ndiswrapper? It allows you to use the Windows drivers
>under Linux.

I tried that, but no joy.

Then again, it took me almost four hours to find, d/load, and install ndisgf(I
think gf) the graphic front end thingus.

>If that doesn't work, you may have to break down and buy a
>new wireless adapter.

I figured that would be the case, but it is finding one what has either Linux
drivers, or that the drivers will run in ndiswrapper.

All of the ones I have so far found, only list windows os and none of the Linux
sites I've visited seem to know anything about wireless networking. (:-(

I have no trouble with a cable link, but at the moment I am using a 30meter
cable, to reach the router. All the other machines are windows os, "xp pro",
and wireless, and <very loud voice: that cable is a damn nuisance>, <whispering:
it annoys the wife>.

It ain't going to end when I get a suitable dongle. I will then have to figure
out how to get a linux box to see, and be seen, by a windows network.

Mind, I still ain't tried to get it to see the network, via the cable.
Might be a good idea to start there.

Ah well, it all keeps the old grey matter working; I suppose. (:-)

Thanks for the help. I'll have to give ndiswrapper, a bit more study.

But if you hear of anything else, let me know; would you?

Ta.

Christopher A.Lee

Jan 15, 2007, 2:25:07 PM1/15/07
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 18:18:14 GMT, Dubh Ghall <pu...@pooks.hill.fey>
wrote:

>HeeeeeelllllP.
>
>Does anyone know of a USB, wireless dongle, that has Linux drivers included, or
>one that I can get drivers for?
>
>I'm using Netgear WG111s and WG111Ts at he moment, but Ubuntu can't see them.

Try...

http://www.linux-drivers.org/network.html

Cgiorgio

Jan 15, 2007, 2:30:19 PM1/15/07
You probably have WG111 V2? I just found the information in a German
language board that the XP driver does not work under Ndiswrapper / Ubuntu,
but the Windows 98 driver does.

For Windows network access you will have to familiarize yourself with the
SAMBA client and SAMBA server packages and their configuration. Also have a
look at Webmin for easy configuration (www.webmin.com).

"Dubh Ghall" <pu...@pooks.hill.fey> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Kevin Anthoney

Jan 15, 2007, 2:45:19 PM1/15/07
Dubh Ghall wrote:

> HeeeeeelllllP.
>
> Does anyone know of a USB, wireless dongle, that has Linux drivers
> included, or one that I can get drivers for?
>
> I'm using Netgear WG111s and WG111Ts at he moment, but Ubuntu can't see
> them.

It says here:

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/115832

"Our adapter can be easily installed on Mac OS-X or Linux"

Also, see the comments, which might be helpful.

--
Kevin Anthoney
kanthoney[a]dsl.pipex.com

Cgiorgio

Jan 15, 2007, 3:27:19 PM1/15/07

I actually found step by step instructions on a German forum, the
translation follows:

The following applies to WG111 Version 2 adaptors only:

You need to download the following packages.

#ndiswrapper-common

#ndiswrapper-utils-1.8

#ndisgtk

#wpasupplicant

Get the Windows 98 driver from the driver CD or download it from Netgear's
site.

Copy the driver directory to the /etc directors

Open the blacklist and deactivate the rtl8187 module

As follows: sudo nano -w /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist

Then add the following two lines to the end of the list:

blacklist r8187

blacklist ieee80211_rtl

This must be entered in order for ndiswrapper to function correctly.

Now connect the WLAN adaptor

Open "ndisgtk" and choose the Win98 driver.

Verify that the driver has been correctly added viewing the LOG using "dmesg"

It should look somewhat like the following:

ndiswrapper version 1.22 loaded (preempt=no,smp=yes)

usb 6-1: reset high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2

ndiswrapper: driver net111v2 (NETGEAR Inc.,3/16/2006,5.1213.06.0316)
loaded

wlan0: vendor: 'Realtek RTL8187 Wireless LAN USB NIC '

wlan0: ethernet device 00:14:6c:ef:5c:43 using NDIS driver net111v2,
0846:6A00.F.conf

wlan0: encryption modes supported: WEP; TKIP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK;
AES/CCMP with WPA, WPA2, WPA2PSK

Now you can check if you have a radio connection by entering

iwlist s

in the console.

If all went well, you should see a screen similar to the folowing:

wlan0 Scan completed :

Cell 01 - Address: 00:00:0C:66:03:70

ESSID:"FRITZ!Box WLAN 3050" (Your Router)

Protocol:IEEE 802.11g

Mode:Managed

Frequency:2.437 GHz (Channel 6)

Quality:0/100 Signal level:-76 dBm Noise level:-256 dBm

Encryption key:on

Bit Rates:1 Mb/s; 2 Mb/s; 5.5 Mb/s; 11 Mb/s; 22 Mb/s

6 Mb/s; 9 Mb/s; 12 Mb/s; 18 Mb/s; 24 Mb/s

36 Mb/s; 48 Mb/s; 54 Mb/s

Extra:bcn_int=100

Extra:atim=0

If you do not see a network, try to reboot the system.

What is left is to connect to the network.

For this we use wpa_supplicant!

Create a file with the following command line:

sudo nano -w /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_suppliant.conf

Edit that file by inserting the following:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant

eapol_version=1

ap_scan=2

network={

ssid="networkname"

scan_ssid=1

proto=WPA

key_mgmt=WPA-PSK

pairwise=TKIP

group=TKIP

psk="password"

}

Store this file and open the file "/etc/network/interfaces"

There should be an entry "wlan0". This has to be modified as follows:

iface wlan0 inet dhcp

wpa-conf /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_suppliant.conf

auto wlan0

Now you should have a connection.

You can verify this by having a look into the LOG using dmesg.

Dubh Ghall

Jan 15, 2007, 3:42:38 PM1/15/07
On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 20:30:19 +0100, "Cgiorgio" <m...@nowhere.org> wrote:

>You probably have WG111 V2?

Mostly, I have got WG111Ts but I have one WG111 v2.

>I just found the information in a German
>language board that the XP driver does not work under Ndiswrapper / Ubuntu,
>but the Windows 98 driver does.

That's interesting.

Let's see if a bit of dongle swapping solves my problem.

>For Windows network access you will have to familiarize yourself with the
>SAMBA client and SAMBA server packages and their configuration. Also have a
>look at Webmin for easy configuration (www.webmin.com).

Thank you sir. Most Helpful.

Dubh Ghall

Jan 15, 2007, 3:45:24 PM1/15/07
On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 14:25:07 -0500, Christopher A.Lee <ca...@optonline.net>
wrote:

Thanks Chris, I'll try there.

Dubh Ghall

Jan 15, 2007, 3:57:37 PM1/15/07
On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 19:45:19 +0000, Kevin Anthoney <kevin_a...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

That looks like something a kid in one of the linux forums was trying to tell me
about, but all he was sure of was that it worked with Mac OS, and Linux, and it
was on E'Bay.

I did try to find it, but it seemed that the more I refined the search criteria,
the longer the bloody list got. (:-/

Thank you Sir.

MarkA

Jan 15, 2007, 5:12:21 PM1/15/07
On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 19:05:19 +0000, Dubh Ghall wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 12:03:59 -0500, MarkA <mant...@stopspam.net> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 18:18:14 +0000, Dubh Ghall wrote:
>>

>>> HeeeeeelllllP.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of a USB, wireless dongle, that has Linux drivers
>>> included, or one that I can get drivers for?
>>>
>>> I'm using Netgear WG111s and WG111Ts at he moment, but Ubuntu can't see
>>> them.
>>
>>Have you tried ndiswrapper? It allows you to use the Windows drivers
>>under Linux.
>
> I tried that, but no joy.
>
> Then again, it took me almost four hours to find, d/load, and install
> ndisgf(I think gf) the graphic front end thingus.

I know I'm an old fart, but I have more problems with graphical front
ends. Invest the 30 min or so it will take to learn the command line
commands; you'll be much better off.

>>If that doesn't work, you may have to break down and buy a new wireless
>>adapter.
>

> I figured that would be the case, but it is finding one what has either
> Linux drivers, or that the drivers will run in ndiswrapper.

I remember that I vowed never to buy another D-link product because, in
the course of searching for a linux driver, I found that one of their
products, with the same revision number, might have one of two different
chipsets, with no way to tell them apart.

> All of the ones I have so far found, only list windows os and none of
> the Linux sites I've visited seem to know anything about wireless
> networking. (:-(

I just stumbled across this:

http://tips.linux.com/article.pl?sid=05/01/20/2251203&tid=100&tid=18&tid=121

It looks like someone has been down this road before.

> I have no trouble with a cable link, but at the moment I am using a
> 30meter cable, to reach the router. All the other machines are windows
> os, "xp pro", and wireless, and <very loud voice: that cable is a damn
> nuisance>, <whispering: it annoys the wife>.

Remind her that cabled networks are faster and more secure. You don't
want your identity stolen, do you???

> It ain't going to end when I get a suitable dongle. I will then have to
> figure out how to get a linux box to see, and be seen, by a windows
> network.

That is fairly easy. Later versions of Linux won't talk to Win98 or
earlier unless you add the smb filesystem module to your linux box.

> Mind, I still ain't tried to get it to see the network, via the cable.
> Might be a good idea to start there.
>
> Ah well, it all keeps the old grey matter working; I suppose. (:-)

We linux hackers might pull our hair out at times, but we do have plenty
of grey matter to make up for it!

> Thanks for the help. I'll have to give ndiswrapper, a bit more study.
>
> But if you hear of anything else, let me know; would you?

Check out the link posted above.

> Ta.

Nicola

Jan 15, 2007, 6:22:57 PM1/15/07
On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 19:05:19 +0000, Dubh Ghall wrote:

Ndiswrapper is a monumental pain in the backside - far
too much like hard work. I wasted days trying to get the thing networked,
and then discovered Linuxant Driverloader. It cost about a tenner, and I
got my wireless network up and running in about 5 minutes. You can
download a trial version (30 days I think) from linuxant.com to see if you
can get it to work with your dongle/card.

You will need the original Windows driver files, but if you don't have the
CD that came with the card, you can follow the links on the Linuxant
website and download them from there.

There are some limitations for usb things apparently but hopefully it'll
work...

Nicola

Dubh Ghall

Jan 15, 2007, 9:46:33 PM1/15/07
On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 23:22:57 +0000, Nicola <nic...@banfaithschools.org.uk>
wrote:

Now that sounds nearer my intellectual level; Some one else, has done the hard
part. (:-)

Thank You, Nicola, I will try that.