BTW Mr. Lifton

John Fiorentino

May 12, 2002, 11:24:13 AM5/12/02
I merely posted the quote from Livingstone re: Powers. I never indicated
Powers in fact said this to Livingstone......You'd have to speak to him
about that......which you say you've already done.............I merely
thought it amusing that one of your fellow CT buffs would be attempting to
impugn your theory.........

John Fiorentino

May 12, 2002, 11:26:53 AM5/12/02
David Lifton wrote........

Moreover, the title of your book--suggesting that errors involve
"disguise and deception (i.e., implying deliberately bad motives on
the part of different researchers)--seems to me to be not just false,
rather unsophisticated and simple minded. If you're going to analyze
someone's criticism, you ought to stick to the facts, and not attempt
to piggy-back it onto some title obviously designed as a marketing
tool.

DSL
John Fiorentino wrote........

Oh, no Mr. Lifton............we certainly don't want to try and "market"
our books....do we?..Gee, Mr. Lifton, I thought this was the title of YOUR
book......Mr. Lifton is the author of Best Evidence: Disguise and
Deception in the Assassination of John F. Kennedy.

The COMPLETE title of my book ..for those who simply MUST know....is

"RETURN TO REASON".........The Assassination of President John F.
Kennedy/Free at Last!

Including........Evidence of Disguise and Deception by the Critics of the
Warren Report

Introduction by Dr. J. K. Lattimer, author of Kennedy & Lincoln

As any here who write may know.........titles, along with other items may be
changed many times prior to publication.

David S. Lifton

May 13, 2002, 10:19:08 AM5/13/02
This is a lame excuse.

The bottom line is that your basic facts are wrong:

1) Contrary to your assertion, Stoughton photo shows Powers at the
swearing in.

2) Contrary to Powers' assertion, the Stoughton phot shows Powers at
the swearing in.

So Livingstone is wrong in citing Powers, and Powers is wrong, if he
really said that.

If you cited Livingstone not because his point was valid (as the
Stoughton photos show, he is dead wrong), but rather beacuse you
"merely thought it amusing," then I suggest you find yourself a spot
on the Jay Leno show.

In any event, regardless of your misguided attempt at comedy--low key
or otherwise--the bottom line is that your basic facts are wrong.

To repeat:

1) The Stoughton photo shows Powers at the swearing in.

2) There is good reason to believe that Harrison Livingstone never
"interviewed" Dave Powers, because:

a) Powers denied it, and complained about this assertion, in a letter
to Livingstone (a copy of which I have), written to Livingstone right
after the book was published, and this matter was called to Powers'
attention.

b) Livingstone, a few years AFTER he supposedly "interviewed" Powers
(in 1987), thenb wrote (in one of his later books) about how he was
attempting to "speak" with Powers, clearly implying he had not done so
before.

c) Offered (by me) $1,000 for a tape or even a transcript of such a
conversation, Livingstone --who tapes everything, to the point of
obsession--couild not produce any such thing.

Case Closed.

The moral of the story: look before you leap into areas where you
apparently don't know the record, or have the facts--whether your
intent is to write history, or just make a joke.

DSL

GMcNally

May 13, 2002, 3:10:09 PM5/13/02
dli...@earthlink.net (David S. Lifton) wrote in message news:<460446c1.0205...@posting.google.com>...

> This is a lame excuse.
>
> The bottom line is that your basic facts are wrong:

None of this proves that the Secret Service agents were bad guys who
stole JFK's body.

You need motive, means and opportunity.

Your theory is something beyond even the artificial closed-door cases
that writers like Agatha Cristie dreamed up.

Jerry

Martin Shackelford

May 14, 2002, 10:16:16 AM5/14/02
David,

Both Livingstone and I have commented on these statements. Every
time, you ignored the responses, waited a bit, then repeated the
statements. Pardon me if I don't find them at all credible.

Martin

David S. Lifton

May 15, 2002, 9:23:32 PM5/15/02
Martin:

More yoda-speak. Pardon me if I don't find it compelling, not to
mention credible.

As for Livingstgone--this is a guy who has sent me death threats by
mail, and left similar threatening messages on my answering machine,
and recently sued me for $50 million dollars, charging that I was part
of a conspiracy murder him--apparently based on the theory that I
increased the stress in his life prior to some by pass surgery he had.

Sorry, Martin, if I don't find your friend and mentor particularly
credible, either.

DSL

Martin Shackelford

May 16, 2002, 8:03:04 AM5/16/02
Glad to hear you don't find me credible, David (big surprise), given the
sorts of things you have found credible over the years. I appreciate the
exclusion.

I don't know what Livingstone has sent you. I do know what you've sent
me, and it has frequently been scurrilous.

Martin