Another Beverly Oliver Goof

John McAdams

Jun 22, 2010, 4:54:45 PM6/22/10
From the Education Forum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBQfGIvzgDg&feature=player_embedded

These bogus "witnesses" need to be careful when the include conspiracy
factoids in their story.

Any one could be the "gotcha" that shows the person is reciting
material from conspiracy books, and not what they actually heard or
saw.

.John

--
The Kennedy Assassination Home Page
http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/home.htm

Ace Kefford

Jun 22, 2010, 6:20:44 PM6/22/10

Brilliant! I remember this "veering off motorcycle" as being part of the
standard conspiracy-oriented description of the Zapruder film back in the
1970s. It might have started with an article on Groden (emphasis on the
"might"). And then a "witness" picks up on this, not knowing that it is
incorrect.

Ace

Robert Harris

Jun 26, 2010, 11:19:18 AM6/26/10
In article <4c212288....@news.supernews.com>,
john.m...@marquette.edu (John McAdams) wrote:

First of all, that video came from jfkassassinationforum.com - not the
Educational forum.

And it's a silly argument. Probably 90% of the witnesses in DP that day
could not tell you how many motorcycles there were. And there is no way
Oliver could have seen the other one as she was filming the limousine.
Why she said in that video, undoubtedly reflected what someone had told
her.

BTW, when you said at your website that she denied her own statement
about the Yashica camera, why didn't you cite her verbatim and in
context?

"Well, first of all I would like for him to tell me how my story has
ever changed. It has never changed. I never said that I used a Super
Eight camera. That came from a man named Gary Shaw in a book that he
wrote called The Cover-Up. I might have said to him, and this was 1970,
Super Eight meaning eight millimeter. All I know is that it was a
prototype camera that a man I was dating who worked for Eastman Kodak,
by the name of Lawrence Taylor Ronco, Jr., gave me as a present the
September before the President was killed in November, a brand new
camera, a magazine load, and I had to send these little envelopes to
Rochester to be developed. That's all I know about the camera, and it
was a Yashika. When this came out about the camera, I called Yashika in
New York and spoke to John Storch. I don't know what his position was.
He was very excited to do research on the camera. Posner is right; that
camera was not available to the general public in 1963, but it does not
mean that I could not have had a prototype camera of it. I'm not saying
it was Super Eight. I don't know what it was. He also made a statement,
and I have it in writing, in talking to his supervisors and people of
that time, that they felt like probably if I had used the word Super
Eight in that interview, it's like people going today to get something
Xeroxed. After they came out, they just became the nomenclature for any
kind of an eight millimeter camera."

At the risk of sounding a bit sexist, I have known very few women in my
life who were geeky enough to have made the distinction between 8
millimeter and super 8, at a time after the former had gone pretty much
extinct. In all likelihood, she was given a Yashica 8mm camera.

What is important, is not what the model of the camera was, but that she
had a movie camera at the time, given to her by Lawrence Ronco.

Robert Harris