The Open MIke

FJRaymond

Jan 15, 2002, 1:34:32 AM1/15/02
The Select Committee on Assassinations, which was created in 1976,
dealt with all aspects of the Kennedy assasination. Among them, they
received Dallas Police Department radio transcripts of channels 1 and
2 for Friday, November 22, 1963.
At 12:24 p.m., as the President's motorcade moved down Main Street,
approaching Dealey Plaza, a police radio microphone, somewhere in the
city, became stuck in the open position resulting in an open
transmitter. This condition lasted for 41/2 seconds, then opened again
for 1 second twice in succession. At 12:28, approximately 2 minutes
before shots were fired at the presidential limousine, the microphone
stuck open again for 171/2 seconds transmitting the engine sound of a
running motorcycle. Closing briefly, the microphone opened again at
12:29.10 and remained open for 5 minutes and 9 seconds. At 12:34.19,
the microphone closed and remained closed. Since this time period
covered the interval of time that the shots were fired, resulting in
the death of the president at Parkland Hospital, the Assassination
Committee studied the tapes hoping that the open mike was in Dealey
Plaza and recorded the sound of shots fired at the motorcade. Even
though this open mike almost crippled channel 1 communications during
the crucial time period, in the event, no one suspected that someone,
who had access to a police radio, delibertly keyed the mike open only
to cripple communications and add to the confusion. It seems
reasonable to believe that this was the case assuming that the
assassin, in a conspiracy plot, had any hope of escaping detection and
capture. If this had happened at some point earlier in the motorcade
route, the occurance would not appear out of place, but for an open
mike to happen from 12:24 p.m. until 12:34:10, this should allow for
at least a minimum of suspicion.

To add to the possibility of a deliberate keying open the mocrophone
was another strange bit to add to the scenario. At 12:32:05, several
seconds before the microphone closed, and several seconds after the
fatal shot to President Kennedy, the sound of the Morse Code "V" or
"...____" was generated at some point and transmitted over the open
mike and recorded on the tape. This "V" was a popular World War II
victory signal and some of the Warren Committee skeptics believe that
the Morse Code "V" was a signal transmitted to convey success to
associates in the conspiracy. To defenders of the commission, this
notion is absurd because "..." is at a higher pitch than the "_____"
and it is not possible to key a mike to play music. True, but who is
to say that the sound was made by a microphone key? Also, before the
mike closed for good, someone was heard whisteling an unidentifiable
tune. Could it have been the "Funeral March" or "Near My God TO Thee?"

This subject is complicated and the truth about the open mike remains
unresolved. The Select Committee failed in their search of accoustical
evidence. The logic, however, is on the side of those who still
believe that Dealey Plaza was a planned act and the incident needs
further investigation by people more specialized and not so political.
"10-4?"

AnthonyMarsh

Jan 15, 2002, 5:49:00 PM1/15/02
FJRaymond wrote:

> The Select Committee on Assassinations, which was created in 1976,
> dealt with all aspects of the Kennedy assasination. Among them, they
> received Dallas Police Department radio transcripts of channels 1 and
> 2 for Friday, November 22, 1963.

Close, but you fail to understand that there were two committees. The first was
trying to find a conspiracy. The second was trying to cover it up.

> At 12:24 p.m., as the President's motorcade moved down Main Street,
> approaching Dealey Plaza, a police radio microphone, somewhere in the
> city, became stuck in the open position resulting in an open
> transmitter. This condition lasted for 41/2 seconds, then opened again
> for 1 second twice in succession. At 12:28, approximately 2 minutes
> before shots were fired at the presidential limousine, the microphone
> stuck open again for 171/2 seconds transmitting the engine sound of a
> running motorcycle. Closing briefly, the microphone opened again at
> 12:29.10 and remained open for 5 minutes and 9 seconds. At 12:34.19,
> the microphone closed and remained closed. Since this time period
> covered the interval of time that the shots were fired, resulting in
> the death of the president at Parkland Hospital, the Assassination
> Committee studied the tapes hoping that the open mike was in Dealey
> Plaza and recorded the sound of shots fired at the motorcade. Even
> though this open mike almost crippled channel 1 communications during
> the crucial time period, in the event, no one suspected that someone,
> who had access to a police radio, delibertly keyed the mike open only
> to cripple communications and add to the confusion. It seems
> reasonable to believe that this was the case assuming that the
> assassin, in a conspiracy plot, had any hope of escaping detection and
> capture. If this had happened at some point earlier in the motorcade
> route, the occurance would not appear out of place, but for an open
> mike to happen from 12:24 p.m. until 12:34:10, this should allow for
> at least a minimum of suspicion.

Exactly how many minutes do you think the microphone was stuck open?
I reject your idea that it was stuck open deliberately. The particular officer
whose microphone became stuck open testified that this happened with his cycle
quite often.

> To add to the possibility of a deliberate keying open the mocrophone
> was another strange bit to add to the scenario. At 12:32:05, several
> seconds before the microphone closed, and several seconds after the
> fatal shot to President Kennedy, the sound of the Morse Code "V" or
> "...____" was generated at some point and transmitted over the open
> mike and recorded on the tape. This "V" was a popular World War II
> victory signal and some of the Warren Committee skeptics believe that
> the Morse Code "V" was a signal transmitted to convey success to
> associates in the conspiracy. To defenders of the commission, this
> notion is absurd because "..." is at a higher pitch than the "_____"

What the hell does it matter if the "..." is at a higher pitch than the "____"?
Morse code does not use changing pitch. It uses no pitch whatsoever. It does not
even have to be audible. I have heard this nonsense about the "V" for victory
and that is all it is, nonsense. What you don't realize is that this same
transmission started with someone trying to get the channel for a couple of
seconds before giving up.

> and it is not possible to key a mike to play music. True, but who is
> to say that the sound was made by a microphone key? Also, before the

Who is to say? The scientists at BBN, that's who. They pointed out many
transmissions that were attempts by other units trying to get onto the stuck
channel 1. When they did so their attempts would produce heterodyne tones of
interference as two units were trying to capture the channel at the same time.
The "V" message is preceded by a heterodyne tone. When you hear what some people
call the morse code, you are not hearing clicks, or speech or music, or
whatever. You are hearing heterodyne tones caused by another unit trying to get
onto the channel while it was stuck open. The change in the tone for "___" is
most likely lower because the unit trying to get onto the channel was moving
farther away or its signal was getting weaker.

> mike closed for good, someone was heard whisteling an unidentifiable
> tune. Could it have been the "Funeral March" or "Near My God TO Thee?"

No, that was the dispatcher testing the system by whistling into the microphone
at HQs. I have not been able to identify the tune, but it is definitely not the
"Funeral March" or "Nearer [sic] My God To Thee." It sounds like part of an old
Baptist hymn.

> This subject is complicated and the truth about the open mike remains
> unresolved. The Select Committee failed in their search of accoustical

You are dealing in unfounded and silly speculation.

> evidence. The logic, however, is on the side of those who still
> believe that Dealey Plaza was a planned act and the incident needs
> further investigation by people more specialized and not so political.
> "10-4?"

There is always more work to be done. But when I ask people to do even the
slightest bit of work, they beg off. They would rather dream up bizarre and
impossible theories. This does nothing to advance the case.

--
Anthony Marsh
The Puzzle Palace http://www.boston.quik.com/amarsh

FJRaymond

Jan 15, 2002, 11:49:46 PM1/15/02
AnthonyMarsh <ama...@quik.com> wrote in message news:<3C4446C5...@quik.com>...

> FJRaymond wrote:
> >
> > The Select Committee on Assassinations, which was created in 1976,
> > dealt with all aspects of the Kennedy assasination. Among them, they
> > received Dallas Police Department radio transcripts of channels 1 and
> > 2 for Friday, November 22, 1963.
>
> Close, but you fail to understand that there were two committees. The first was
> trying to find a conspiracy. The second was trying to cover it up.

Anthony:
Darn. And I thought that I was onto something important, I, like most
folks, rely on teachers and experts, like yourself,to provide us with data
that they have researched and are willing to pass down so thay we can make
judgements and decisions.
I struggled through 97 pages of a complete work by Dallas County
Sheriff Jim Bowles ,and his explanation of the recordings and erroneous
conclusions reached by the House Select Committee On Assassinations. The
reading included the transcripts of the dictabelt recordings of Dallas
Police Channels one and two.
Gary Savage, nephew of Dallas Police Crime Lab Detective, R.W.(Rusty)
Livingston, and author of JFK, First Day Evidence, was kind enough to
provide Sheriff Bowles work in an appendix to his book.
Now, that I have your e-mail address, I will not be so unwise as to
submit another such exposition without first submitting it to you for
approval as to the reliability of its content.
Frankly,I thought it a wise thing to do if I was in charge of a plan to
kill the president. That is, to prevent communication between the various
defenders of JFK during the crucial minutes before and after the shooting.
Thanks for correcting me. I am fairly new at this.
BLUER...@aol.com

Michael O'Dell

Jan 16, 2002, 8:04:27 AM1/16/02

FJRaymond <BLUER...@aol.com> wrote in message

I agree with most of the comments Tony made. What you wrote reflected a
poor understanding of the issue. I wasn't sure if you wrote it or you were
quoting something. It almost sounded like the Acoustics chapter of High
Treason :)

If you would like to read more you can find links to most of the available
acoustics work at my page at http://www.geocities.com/jfkdocs. Some of the
links go to Dave Reitze's site where he has put up some valuable stuff,
including the Bowles' article.

There will soon be additional work published on the issue, including my own.

Michael

FJRaymond

Jan 16, 2002, 10:47:16 PM1/16/02
AnthonyMarsh <ama...@quik.com> wrote in message news:<3C4446C5...@quik.com>...
Mr.Marsh: You say that the whisteling into the microphone was done by
a dispatcher testing the system. Do we know who the dispatcher was? Is
there testimony that we can check to verify the officer whisteling?
On July 21, 1964, Lt. D.H. Gassett advised that on Nov.22, between 10
am and 3pm, three radio dispatchers were on duty. He stated that two
dispatchers handled channel 1. The third dispatcher is used only when
a special situation is anticipated.
"Channel two was not operating for the periods 10 am to 3 pm." CE EX
No. 1974, p.3
J.A. McDaniel and R.D. Huffstutler were dispatching until 12:26
when C.E. Hulse and M.J. Jackson took over. Their first dispaatch was
at 12:34 when they reported that a transmitter was stuck open on one
of the mobile units. CE 1974, p. 18.
Murry Jackson, a close personal friend of Tippit's, left at 1:21 to
go to Tippit's home and J.P. McDaniel took over. CE1974, p. 69.
So, the whistler had to be McDaniel-Huffstutler or Jackson or Hulse
since they were there during the questionable open mike.
Jackson did not testify, nor did Hufstutler or Mcdaniel. C.E. Hulse
did. Vol.XIII, p.99.
By the way, when Tippit was pronounced dead at Methodist Hospital,
Officer 210 ( Owens if I remember) called the dispatcher asking:" Has
anyone made arrangements or picked up Tippit's wife yet?"
DISPATCHER: "I'm not sure 210."
210: "If you give me the address, I will go there and pick
her up. I do not have anybody to send right now."
210: "I'll call 505 for the address."
DISPATCHER: 10:4. 1:51 pm.
At 1:56 pm:
210:" I'm downtown. J.D. Tippit lives at 7500 So. Beckley.
I'm running Code2 ( Urgent ) to his WIFE"S HOUSE."
DISPATCHER: "Yes, go ahead." 1:56 pm. CE 705, Vol. 17, p 471, 472,
473.

The 1963 Dallas Directory listed the name of J.A. Boone as the
resident of 7500 So Beckley. Telephone CA 43847.
OCCUPATION: Press Operator at the Dallas Times Herald.
Mrs. Tippit lived at 238 Glencarin. CE 2985, Vol. 26, p.485.
7500 So. Beckley was a short distance from 238 Glencarin.

Can anyone shed any light on this discrepency?
F. JRaymond

FJRaymond

Jan 16, 2002, 11:03:17 PM1/16/02
AnthonyMarsh <ama...@quik.com> wrote in message news:<3C4446C5...@quik.com>...
> FJRaymond wrote:
> >
> > The Select Committee on Assassinations, which was created in 1976,
> > dealt with all aspects of the Kennedy assasination. Among them, they
> > received Dallas Police Department radio transcripts of channels 1 and
> > 2 for Friday, November 22, 1963.
>
> Close, but you fail to understand that there were two committees. The first was
> trying to find a conspiracy. The second was trying to cover it up.
>
> > At 12:24 p.m., as the President's motorcade moved down Main Street,
> > approaching Dealey Plaza, a police radio microphone, somewhere in the
> > city, became stuck in the open position resulting in an open
> > transmitter. This condition lasted for 41/2 seconds, then opened again
> > for 1 second twice in succession. At 12:28, approximately 2 minutes
> > before shots were fired at the presidential limousine, the microphone
> > stuck open again for 171/2 seconds transmitting the engine sound

Tony: Have you tried Name That Tune?

Michael O'Dell

Jan 17, 2002, 12:21:22 AM1/17/02

FJRaymond <BLUER...@aol.com> wrote in message

I'm not aware of any evidence that the dispatcher was the one whistling.
I'd be interested to hear it if Tony has it.

Ch2 operated on Nov. 22nd during the motorcade and when Ch1 was blocked by
the open microphone transmissions were made on Ch2. Ch2 was designated
for the use of the motorcade so intentionally blocking Ch1 would have
served no purpose.

The supposed morse code "V" is just a heterodyne. They occur all through
the recording when the mic is stuck open, even during the section with the
impulses. There just happens to be one instance where there are two short
tones and a longer one, but it doesn't really sound like an intentional
morse signal.

Michael

AnthonyMarsh

Jan 17, 2002, 12:09:34 PM1/17/02

Yes, we think we know who the dispatcher was at that moment. Unit 531. The
enhanced transcripts note that it was the dispatcher testing the system:

186. (Noise for 34 seconds on this tape.)
186a.91: 91 clear.
187. DIS: 531, testing: 1 2 3 4.
188. : Loud and clear.
189. 48: 48, loud and clear.
____

I could be wrong, but I think it was Henslee at the time. I'll doublecheck that.

> there testimony that we can check to verify the officer whisteling?

No, if no one ever took the testimony of that dispatcher and no one ever asked
him any questions specifically related to what he said, then how could we ever
find testimony about that? Just as no one thought to ask McLain at the time if
his microphone was the one which was stuck open. Likewise no one thought to ask
all the DPD cops who was keying in at which moment. How would they remember if
they keyed in with " .. .." or "____
.... ____"?
However, the next unit who calling in verified the test by saying, "Loud and
clear."

> On July 21, 1964, Lt. D.H. Gassett advised that on Nov.22, between 10
> am and 3pm, three radio dispatchers were on duty. He stated that two
> dispatchers handled channel 1. The third dispatcher is used only when
> a special situation is anticipated.
> "Channel two was not operating for the periods 10 am to 3 pm." CE EX
> No. 1974, p.3

I have absolutely no idea what point you are trying to make. Of course channel
two was in operation at the time. We have the tape. Everyone was supposed to
switch over to channel two for routine police business. You need to also read
the HSCA materials, not just the WC. And the WC does include transcripts for
both channels, no matter how sloppy they might be.

> J.A. McDaniel and R.D. Huffstutler were dispatching until 12:26
> when C.E. Hulse and M.J. Jackson took over. Their first dispaatch was
> at 12:34 when they reported that a transmitter was stuck open on one
> of the mobile units. CE 1974, p. 18.
> Murry Jackson, a close personal friend of Tippit's, left at 1:21 to
> go to Tippit's home and J.P. McDaniel took over. CE1974, p. 69.
> So, the whistler had to be McDaniel-Huffstutler or Jackson or Hulse
> since they were there during the questionable open mike.
> Jackson did not testify, nor did Hufstutler or Mcdaniel. C.E. Hulse
> did. Vol.XIII, p.99.
> By the way, when Tippit was pronounced dead at Methodist Hospital,
> Officer 210 ( Owens if I remember) called the dispatcher asking:" Has
> anyone made arrangements or picked up Tippit's wife yet?"
> DISPATCHER: "I'm not sure 210."
> 210: "If you give me the address, I will go there and pick
> her up. I do not have anybody to send right now."
> 210: "I'll call 505 for the address."
> DISPATCHER: 10:4. 1:51 pm.
> At 1:56 pm:
> 210:" I'm downtown. J.D. Tippit lives at 7500 So. Beckley.
> I'm running Code2 ( Urgent ) to his WIFE"S HOUSE."
> DISPATCHER: "Yes, go ahead." 1:56 pm. CE 705, Vol. 17, p 471, 472,
> 473.

That's great, but what the hell does it have to do with what we are discussing?

> The 1963 Dallas Directory listed the name of J.A. Boone as the
> resident of 7500 So Beckley. Telephone CA 43847.
> OCCUPATION: Press Operator at the Dallas Times Herald.
> Mrs. Tippit lived at 238 Glencarin. CE 2985, Vol. 26, p.485.
> 7500 So. Beckley was a short distance from 238 Glencarin.
>
> Can anyone shed any light on this discrepency?
> F. JRaymond

I don't know ANYTHING about Tippit's widow except seeing a photo of her.
What about his poor kids?