KBOX Radio

David Von Pein

Jun 24, 2012, 3:42:25 PM6/24/12

bigdog

Jun 24, 2012, 8:26:38 PM6/24/12
On Jun 24, 3:42 pm, David Von Pein <davevonp...@aol.com> wrote:
> http://jfk-archives.blogspot.com/2012/06/kbox-radio.html

It was only fairly recently that I learned that this famous recording was
a recreation and this is the first time I had heard the whole thing. The
document you presented indicates Mr. Pate was dismissed on 11/23/63. This
raises all sorts of questions. Did KBOX air this recording as a recreation
or was it presented as genuine coverage. Did Mr. Pate knowing he was being
let go do this as a hoax or was he fired for perpetrating a hoax? Did he
do it to try to earn a few bucks selling it to the UPI for their record of
the four days of coverage? It amazes me that modern documentaries would
still use this recording knowing it was not live coverage. It is riveting
to listen to but it is still manufactured news.

David Von Pein

Jun 24, 2012, 10:29:41 PM6/24/12

JOHN CORBETT SAID:

It was only fairly recently that I learned that this famous recording was
a recreation and this is the first time I had heard the whole thing. The
document you presented indicates Mr. Pate was dismissed on 11/23/63. This
raises all sorts of questions. Did KBOX air this recording as a recreation
or was it presented as genuine coverage. Did Mr. Pate, knowing he was
being let go, do this as a hoax or was he fired for perpetrating a hoax?
Did he do it to try to earn a few bucks selling it to the UPI for their
record of the four days of coverage? It amazes me that modern
documentaries would still use this recording knowing it was not live
coverage. It is riveting to listen to, but it is still manufactured news.

DAVID VON PEIN SAID:

Yeah, I thought it was kind of odd that Sam Pate says he was fired by KBOX
on 11/23/63, but he was then asked by KBOX to make a re-creation recording
"several days after he was dismissed" (per Pate's FBI interview seen in
Commission Document 1245). That seems odd.

A more-likely scenario would have Pate making the re-creation on November
22nd or 23rd, and then getting fired after he made it. The other way
around doesn't sound logical.

To reiterate something KRLD's Bob Huffaker told me six years ago -- Bob is
of the opinion that KBOX did not have any mobile units stationed in the
motorcade at all. But if Mr. Huffaker is correct, then pages 15 and 16 of
this document are riddled with lies:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-4zswb_bvy_w/T-biPMpv4DI/AAAAAAAAC2I/PRFk5dfRxZc/s1600/CD1245-Pages-15-Through-17.png

David Von Pein

Jun 24, 2012, 10:30:11 PM6/24/12

Footnote----

I suppose if some conspiracy theorist really wanted to, he could invent a
pretty cool conspiracy theory around the KBOX coverage. The conspiracist
could theorize this:

KBOX did broadcast live coverage from Dealey Plaza during the
assassination and the original live KBOX tape has the sounds of more than
three distinct gunshots on it, thereby proving that Lee Harvey Oswald did
not act alone.

Therefore, KBOX, at the request of the evil FBI, was forced to make a
"re-creation" recording of the assassination (without any audible gunshots
being heard) and they were forced to dispose of the "real" recording that
has all the gunshot sounds on it.

Or, as an alternate cover-up theory, KBOX merely snipped out the portion
of their "real" tape that contains the sounds of the actual gunshots, in
order to perpetrate the lie that Lee Oswald acted alone.

(I hope I didn't give the conspiracy nuts any ideas just now.)

Anthony Marsh

Jun 25, 2012, 3:45:47 PM6/25/12
Was that segment of the KBOX tape at the same time as the shots or after?

Peter Fokes

Jun 26, 2012, 11:20:24 AM6/26/12
On 24 Jun 2012 15:42:25 -0400, David Von Pein <davev...@aol.com>
wrote:

>http://jfk-archives.blogspot.com/2012/06/kbox-radio.html

DVP's Potpourri

http://dvp-potpourri.blogspot.ca/2009/10/main-index.html

One must admit you are prolific as what you do!

In honour of your ongoing output, here's my chosen video tribute to
you, especially beginning at the 5:22 minute mark ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7pDiO52xSs

I will be disappointed if DVP does not tapdance next year in Dallas
wearing a Leave It To Beaver button!

Peter Fokes
Toronto

David Von Pein

Jun 26, 2012, 2:30:54 PM6/26/12

jall...@gmail.com

Sep 4, 2013, 10:33:51 AM9/4/13
On Sunday, June 24, 2012 2:42:25 PM UTC-5, David Von Pein wrote:
> http://jfk-archives.blogspot.com/2012/06/kbox-radio.html

I just happened onto this discussion and I think I can clear up some
questions for you. Sam Pate was my uncle (my mother's brother). Sam passed
away back in August, 2009. Regarding the original live broadcast
recordings of KBOX coverage, it's a mystery as to what happened to them.
Sam had started covering the motorcade at Love Field but did not cover
down Lemmon Ave. He took Cedar Springs into downtown and headed on to
Dealey Plaza ahead of the motorcade.

Sam had a radio that monitored police channel 2 and was getting his info
on where the motorcade was from the police broadcasts. As the motorcade
was approaching Main & Houston Sam went on up to Stemmons Frwy and was
going to cover the remainder of the motorcade to the Trade Mart. When Sam
says "The president's car is now turning onto Elm St..." he is on Stemmons
and is getting that info from the police broadcast. When he hears that
shots have been fired he does a U turn, heads back down Stemmons
(southbound in the northbound lane) and sees the motorcade speeding toward
him. He pulls over and the president's car passes by him.

After it passes him Sam exits on Continental and heads to the Texas School
Book Depository via Lamar, Ross and Houston as the police broadcasts say
that was where shots were fired. Sam is on the scene in about 4 mintues
well before the police arrive and seal it off. He covers what is happening
at the TSBD. He has also said over the years that he interviewed and
recorded eyewitnesses at the TSBD including the motorcycle cop, Bobby
Hargis. Hargis was the one who laid his motorcycle down at the storm drain
at the foot of the steps that went up the grassy knoll. Sam has said that
Hargis heard a muffled shot that he thought came from the direction of the
triple underpass and was going to investigate the storm drain. Bystanders
were rushing up the knoll and reported that the shots came from that area
so he ran up the steps to investigate there. Sam also reported seeing
someone running from the TSBD down Houston and disappearing up Main St. He
turned those tapes into the station on the 22nd and they disappeared from
the newsroom along with the soundscriber recordings.

Sam was indeed fired from KBOX the next day on the 23rd. Karl King was on
the KBOX news desk during the motorcade. He called UPI and was feeding
them KBOX's live coverage of the assassination. He forgot to remove the
phone from the newsfeed console at the end of the day. The next day King
and Sam were in the newsroom talking about the previous day when the
station manager came in and saw the phone still in the console and asked
what was going on. King told him that he and Sam had been feeding the KBOX
broadcast to UPI and the manager fired both of them on the spot for it. I
don't know who asked them to do the recreation but it definitely was not
anyone from KBOX. That recreation was recorded a few days after the
firing.

The real mystery is not about Sam and the recreation. The mystery that
really smells bad is the disappearance of all the KBOX news coverage
recordings. Just my personal opinion but I think they would have
contradicted the planned explanation of what happened in Dealey Plaza by
whatever official government body was to do the investigation.

Alex Foyle

Sep 5, 2013, 5:04:01 PM9/5/13
On Wednesday, September 4, 2013 4:33:51 PM UTC+2, jall...@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks a lot for posting this info here, very interesting.

jall...@gmail.com

Sep 8, 2013, 4:24:26 PM9/8/13
On Thursday, September 5, 2013 4:04:01 PM UTC-5, Alex Foyle wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 4, 2013 4:33:51 PM UTC+2, jall...@gmail.com wrote:
>

> Thanks a lot for posting this info here, very interesting.

No problem. Another interesting piece to the puzzle was that Sam also had
known and was good friends with Jack Ruby since about six years prior to
the assassination. After Ruby shot Oswald Sam was the only local new
reporter Ruby spoke with. I don't think it was as an interview so much as
Sam was one of the few men that Ruby trusted. After that my uncle did look
after Ruby's sister, Eva Grant, so I surmise it was at Ruby's request.
When my grandfather passed away in 1967 Eva Grant attended the funeral out
of respect for Sam. I remember Sam showing us a suit and couple of ties he
had that belonged to Ruby once when we were at his house. Before his
passing Sam gave me some photocopies of the transcript of the Dallas
Police radio broadcasts that were going out at the time of the
assassination and subsequent events up to Oswald's arrest as well as a
photocopy of his subpoena to testify as a defense witness at Jack Ruby's
murder trial.