"I Got Me A President And A Cop..."

David Von Pein

Jun 1, 2010, 1:35:48 AM6/1/10
Does anyone have any idea where the following alleged (and ridiculous)
quote from Lee Harvey Oswald originated?

At least one radio newsman quoted Oswald as having said these words on
November 22 as LHO was being hauled out of the Texas Theater:

"I got me a President and a cop, and I'm gonna get me two more."

If only we had a tape recording of Oswald confessing to BOTH murders
in such a manner.

But I doubt that even such a recording would be enough to silence the
Anybody-But-Oswald conspiracy crowd. They would probably declare it to
be a fake tape, with Dave Ferrie imitating Oswald on the recording.
(Gary Oldman would have been too young to do the impersonation, since
Gary was only five years old in 1963.)

==========================

Related Warren Commission Testimony:

DAVID W. BELIN -- "Were you asked ever to make a report of any
conversation you had with him [Lee Oswald]?"

POLICE OFFICER C.T. WALKER -- "No; they called me on the phone a
couple of days after, and some supervisor asked me, there had been a
rumor got out that Oswald had said, "Well, I got me a President and a
cop. I should have got me two more." Or something like that. But that
conversation was never said, because I was with him from the time that
he was arrested until the time the detectives took him over."

Peter Fokes

Jun 1, 2010, 1:36:53 AM6/1/10
On 1 Jun 2010 01:35:48 -0400, David Von Pein <davev...@aol.com>
wrote:

>Does anyone have any idea where the following alleged (and ridiculous)
>quote from Lee Harvey Oswald originated?
>
>At least one radio newsman quoted Oswald as having said these words on
>November 22 as LHO was being hauled out of the Texas Theater:
>
> "I got me a President and a cop, and I'm gonna get me two more."

No doubt it was uttered by Jack Ruby!

:-)

Peter Fokes,
Toronto

cdddraftsman

Jun 1, 2010, 11:34:19 AM6/1/10

I thought I invented that one ?

tl

Tom Sutpen

Jun 1, 2010, 11:34:36 AM6/1/10
On Jun 1, 1:35 am, David Von Pein <davevonp...@aol.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have any idea where the following alleged (and ridiculous)
> quote from Lee Harvey Oswald originated?
>
> At least one radio newsman quoted Oswald as having said these words on
> November 22 as LHO was being hauled out of the Texas Theater:
>
>       "I got me a President and a cop, and I'm gonna get me two more."
>
> If only we had a tape recording of Oswald confessing to BOTH murders
> in such a manner.

*****
My guess is, it was one of the patrons taking the afternoon off to
catch Burt Topper's not-bad 'War is Hell'. He or she 'heard' Oswald
say it and then proceeded to tell everybody who would listen. I
wouldn't be surprised if, by the end of the day, the individual began
to believe it had actually been said. Such people often pass lie
detector tests.

It's precisely the kind of thing some nimrod who'd seen too many
movies would imagine an assassin saying; but it's sheer rubbish.
Oswald wasn't about to cast words of that character into the earshot
of anyone. He was smart enough to know that, as long as he kept his
mouth shut, this was his hour.

Tom Sutpen

Anthony Marsh

Jun 1, 2010, 6:49:02 PM6/1/10
On 6/1/2010 11:34 AM, Tom Sutpen wrote:
> On Jun 1, 1:35 am, David Von Pein<davevonp...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have any idea where the following alleged (and ridiculous)
>> quote from Lee Harvey Oswald originated?
>>
>> At least one radio newsman quoted Oswald as having said these words on
>> November 22 as LHO was being hauled out of the Texas Theater:
>>
>> "I got me a President and a cop, and I'm gonna get me two more."
>>
>> If only we had a tape recording of Oswald confessing to BOTH murders
>> in such a manner.
>
> *****
> My guess is, it was one of the patrons taking the afternoon off to
> catch Burt Topper's not-bad 'War is Hell'. He or she 'heard' Oswald
> say it and then proceeded to tell everybody who would listen. I
> wouldn't be surprised if, by the end of the day, the individual began
> to believe it had actually been said. Such people often pass lie
> detector tests.

Your guess is wrong. No one said it. A reporter made it up to sound more
dramatic.

John McAdams

Jun 1, 2010, 9:59:44 PM6/1/10
On 1 Jun 2010 11:34:36 -0400, Tom Sutpen <toms...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Jun 1, 1:35=A0am, David Von Pein <davevonp...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have any idea where the following alleged (and ridiculous)
>> quote from Lee Harvey Oswald originated?
>>
>> At least one radio newsman quoted Oswald as having said these words on
>> November 22 as LHO was being hauled out of the Texas Theater:
>>

>> =A0 =A0 =A0 "I got me a President and a cop, and I'm gonna get me two mor=

>e."
>>
>> If only we had a tape recording of Oswald confessing to BOTH murders
>> in such a manner.
>
>*****
>My guess is, it was one of the patrons taking the afternoon off to
>catch Burt Topper's not-bad 'War is Hell'. He or she 'heard' Oswald
>say it and then proceeded to tell everybody who would listen. I
>wouldn't be surprised if, by the end of the day, the individual began
>to believe it had actually been said. Such people often pass lie
>detector tests.

It could be that somebody really did hear Oswald say "it's all over
now," and them "enhanced" and embroidered that.

.John

--
The Kennedy Assassination Home Page
http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/home.htm

WBurg...@aol.com

Jun 2, 2010, 1:07:27 AM6/2/10
On Jun 1, 8:59 pm, john.mcad...@marquette.edu (John McAdams) wrote:

John that would be Roger Craig. "Everyone will know who I am now." Nothing
about shooting anyone.

John McAdams

Jun 2, 2010, 1:10:55 AM6/2/10
On 2 Jun 2010 01:07:27 -0400, WBurg...@aol.com wrote:

>On Jun 1, 8:59�pm, john.mcad...@marquette.edu (John McAdams) wrote:
>> On 1 Jun 2010 11:34:36 -0400, Tom Sutpen <tomsut...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> >*****
>> >My guess is, it was one of the patrons taking the afternoon off to
>> >catch Burt Topper's not-bad 'War is Hell'. He or she 'heard' Oswald
>> >say it and then proceeded to tell everybody who would listen. I
>> >wouldn't be surprised if, by the end of the day, the individual began
>> >to believe it had actually been said. Such people often pass lie
>> >detector tests.
>>
>> It could be that somebody really did hear Oswald say "it's all over
>> now," and them "enhanced" and embroidered that.
>>

>John that would be Roger Craig. "Everyone will know who I am now." Nothing
>about shooting anyone.

No, different things. Craig (who was lying about that) claimed that
Oswald said that in Fritz office.

Oswald apparently really did say "it's all over now" when wrestled
down in the Texas Theater.

.John
--------------
http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/home.htm

WBurg...@aol.com

Jun 3, 2010, 1:33:06 AM6/3/10
On Jun 2, 12:10 am, John McAdams <john.mcad...@marquette.edu> wrote:

And you know Craig was lying about that how? And what an odd thing to
lie about. Yes I know you have "RogerCraigIsaLiarItis" and please
don't refer me to your trumped up page on your website.

The question is, Prof. McAdams: How do YOU know Craig was lying about
that statement? Didn't Hosty also hear it????

ShutterBun

Jun 3, 2010, 4:52:09 PM6/3/10
On Jun 2, 10:33 pm, WBurgha...@aol.com wrote:

> And you know Craig was lying about that how? And what an odd thing to
> lie about. Yes I know you have "RogerCraigIsaLiarItis" and please
> don't refer me to your trumped up page on your website.
>
> The question is, Prof. McAdams: How do YOU know Craig was lying about

> that statement? Didn't Hosty also hear it????- Hide quoted text -

Mr. BALL. Roger Craig stated that about 15 minutes after the shooting
he saw a man, a white man, leave the Texas State Book Depository
Building, run across a lawn, and get into a white Rambler driven by a
colored man.

Mr. FRITZ. I don't think that is true.
Mr. BALL. I am stating this. You remember the witness now?
Mr. FRITZ. I remember the witness; yes, sir.
Mr. BALL. Did that man ever come into your office and talk to you in
the presence of Oswald?
Mr. FRITZ. In the presence of Oswald?
Mr. BALL. Yes.
Mr. FRITZ. No, sir; I am sure he did not. I believe that man did come
to my office in that little hallway, you know outside my office, and I
believe I stepped outside the door and talked to him for a minute and
I let someone else take an affidavit from him. We should have that
affidavit from him if it would help.
Mr. BALL. Now this man states that, has stated, that he came to your
office and Oswald was in your office, and you asked him to look at
Oswald and tell you whether or not this was the man he saw, and he
says that in your presence he identified Oswald as the man that he had
seen run across this lawn and get into the white Rambler sedan. Do you
remember that?
Mr. FRITZ. I think it was taken, I think it was one of my officers,
and I think if he saw him he looked through that glass and saw him
from the outside because I am sure of one thing that I didn't bring
him in the office with Oswald.
Mr. BALL. You are sure you didn't?
Mr. FRITZ. I am sure of that. I feel positive of that. I would
remember that I am sure.
Mr. BALL. He also says that in that office----
Mr. FRITZ. Yes, sir.
Mr. BALL. After he had said, "That is the man," that Oswald got up
from his chair and slammed his hand on the table and said, "Now
everybody will know who I am." Did that ever occur in your presence?
Mr. FRITZ. If it did I never saw anything like that; no, sir.
Mr. BALL. That didn't occur?
Mr. FRITZ. No, sir; it didn't. That man is not telling a true story if
that is what he said.

John McAdams

Jun 3, 2010, 10:03:14 PM6/3/10
On 3 Jun 2010 01:33:06 -0400, WBurg...@aol.com wrote:

>On Jun 2, 12:10 am, John McAdams <john.mcad...@marquette.edu> wrote:
>> On 2 Jun 2010 01:07:27 -0400, WBurgha...@aol.com wrote:
>>

>> >John that would be Roger Craig. "Everyone will know who I am now." Nothing
>> >about shooting anyone.
>>
>> No, different things.  Craig (who was lying about that) claimed that
>> Oswald said that in Fritz office.
>>
>> Oswald apparently really did say "it's all over now" when wrestled
>> down in the Texas Theater.
>>

>And you know Craig was lying about that how? And what an odd thing to
>lie about. Yes I know you have "RogerCraigIsaLiarItis" and please
>don't refer me to your trumped up page on your website.
>
>The question is, Prof. McAdams: How do YOU know Craig was lying about
>that statement? Didn't Hosty also hear it????

My, my.

You ask me how I know, and refuse to look at my web site were the
evidence is!

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/craig.htm

I'll give you just one thing: Craig said that Oswald was referring to
a Rambler station wagon that belonged to Mrs. Paine.

But Mrs. Paine owned a Chevrolet.

.John
--------------
http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/home.htm

WBurg...@aol.com

Jun 3, 2010, 11:00:55 PM6/3/10

Ok. I get it. Why is Fritz lying about what Craig heard/ Might he have
been coached? What is the date of this exchange? Notice the
reprtition... "I thuink....I think.... I think....." and then suddenly
"If it did I never saw anything like that." This is not at all
conclusive. This is one-sided reasoning.

Ray

Jun 4, 2010, 12:22:43 AM6/4/10
to j.raymon...@gmail.com
On Jun 1, 9:59 pm, john.mcad...@marquette.edu (John McAdams) wrote:
It could be that somebody really did hear Oswald say "it's all over
now," and them "enhanced" and embroidered that.
.John

Well yes, it COULD be that, or it could be just more wishful thinking on
the part of John McAdams.

John McAdams

Jun 4, 2010, 12:24:24 AM6/4/10

Huh?

Why would it be wishful thinking?

We have a bogus quote, and it would be interesting to know where it
came from.

I was speculating, but if you have better speculation, tell us about
it.

.John
--------------
http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/home.htm

WBurg...@aol.com

Jun 4, 2010, 12:26:16 AM6/4/10
On Jun 3, 9:03 pm, John McAdams <john.mcad...@marquette.edu> wrote:

So why is everything Craig said to be thrown out? BTW, I've read your
Craig cite about 12 times, so it's not that I haven't read it. I just
don't agree with the reasoning. The bigger question I have is with this
logical philosophy.... guy makes a mistake, therefore everything he says
is a lie. I don't get it.

Burgundy

WBurg...@aol.com

Jun 4, 2010, 12:26:39 AM6/4/10
On Jun 3, 9:03 pm, John McAdams <john.mcad...@marquette.edu> wrote:

And it was Oswald who said "Don't bring Mrs. Paine ino this," not
Craig.

John McAdams

Jun 4, 2010, 12:29:16 AM6/4/10

Actually, no. That's something Craig made up.

.John
--------------
http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/home.htm

John McAdams

Jun 4, 2010, 12:32:38 AM6/4/10
On 4 Jun 2010 00:26:16 -0400, WBurg...@aol.com wrote:

>On Jun 3, 9:03 pm, John McAdams <john.mcad...@marquette.edu> wrote:
>> On 3 Jun 2010 01:33:06 -0400, WBurgha...@aol.com wrote:
>>

>> My, my.
>>
>> You ask me how I know, and refuse to look at my web site were the
>> evidence is!
>>
>> http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/craig.htm
>>
>> I'll give you just one thing:  Craig said that Oswald was referring to
>> a Rambler station wagon that belonged to Mrs. Paine.
>>
>> But Mrs. Paine owned a Chevrolet.
>>

>So why is everything Craig said to be thrown out? BTW, I've read your
>Craig cite about 12 times, so it's not that I haven't read it. I just
>don't agree with the reasoning. The bigger question I have is with this
>logical philosophy.... guy makes a mistake, therefore everything he says
>is a lie. I don't get it.

We know what innocent mistakes look like.

Bill Newman saying that JFK was standing up in the limo was an
innocent mistake.

Craig's testimony got better and better. One after another juicy
piece of conspiracy hokum got added.

How do you explain, for example, why he told the LA FREE PRESS that he
*heard* a Mauser was found on the roof of the Depository, and then
told Lincoln Carle that he saw Day and Fritz recover a Mauser?

You know about the Alyea film, right?

.John
--------------
http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/home.htm

John McAdams

Jun 4, 2010, 10:16:06 AM6/4/10

OIC.

You won't accept that Craig is lying, but will call Fritz a liar at
the drop of a hat.

.John
--------------
http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/home.htm

Ray

Jun 4, 2010, 8:05:50 PM6/4/10
On Jun 4, 12:24 am, John McAdams <john.mcad...@marquette.edu> wrote:
Huh?
Why would it be wishful thinking?
.John

Because Oz never said

"It's all over now."

WBurg...@aol.com

Jun 5, 2010, 1:09:02 AM6/5/10

John you do not know that. You can't.

David Von Pein

Jun 5, 2010, 1:11:21 AM6/5/10

>>> "Because Oz never said "It's all over now."" <<<

Bullshit.

Of course Oz said it. And he said "This is it" too.

Here's Paul Bentley of the DPD, walking on crutches after being
injured during the scuffle in the Texas Theater, telling the world on
11/23/63 that he heard Oswald make both of those remarks in the
theater, which are remarks that reek with Oswald's guilty state of
mind (at the 5:00 mark in this video):

http://YouTube.com/watch?v=hSOWQjy01os

Ray

Jun 5, 2010, 3:50:01 PM6/5/10
to j.raymon...@gmail.com
On Jun 5, 1:11 am, David Von Pein <davevonp...@aol.com> wrote:
"Because Oz never said "It's all over now."" <<<
Bullshit.
Of course Oz said it. And he said "This is it" too.
Here's Paul Bentley of the DPD,

David, thank you for posting the Bentley video.

"Mr. Bentley’s recollection is unsupported by other existing
historical records."

THis quote is from the New York Times obituary for detective Paul
Bentley.
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/25/us/25bentley.html?_r=2&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin

To see how the Times came to view Bentley as an unreliable witness,
please see this thread:
http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=13175&st=0

Bentley was quick to claim credit for the arrest after McDonald and a
couple of others subdued the "suspect", but it is doubtful that
Bentley himself was close enough to the action to hear anything
anybody said.

Who else claims they heard Oz say

"It's all over now?" and

"THis is it"

WBurg...@aol.com

Jun 5, 2010, 10:46:54 PM6/5/10
On Jun 5, 2:50 pm, Ray <j.raymondcarr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 5, 1:11 am, David Von Pein <davevonp...@aol.com> wrote:
> "Because Oz never said "It's all over now."" <<<
>  Bullshit.
>  Of course Oz said it. And he said "This is it" too.
> Here's Paul Bentley of the DPD,
>
> David, thank you for posting the Bentley video.
>
> "Mr. Bentley’s recollection is unsupported by other existing
> historical records."
>
> THis quote is from the New York Times obituary for detective Paul
> Bentley.http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/25/us/25bentley.html?_r=2&partner=rssn...

> To see how the Times came to view Bentley as an unreliable witness,
> please see this thread:http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=13175&st=0
>
> Bentley was quick to claim credit for the arrest after McDonald and a
> couple of others subdued the "suspect", but it is doubtful that
> Bentley himself was close enough to the action to hear anything
> anybody said.
>
> Who else claims they heard Oz say
>
> "It's all over now?" and
>
> "THis is it"

THERE'S A VIRUS IN THE ABOVE POST, SECOND LINK

David Von Pein

Jun 6, 2010, 2:52:53 PM6/6/10

>>> "Who else [besides Dallas Police Detective Paul Bentley] claims they
heard [Lee Harvey Oswald] say "It's all over now" and "This is it"?" <<<

Dallas Police Officer Nick McDonald is also on record as having heard
Oswald make BOTH of those statements.

On 11/23/63, in an interview for WFAA-TV, McDonald said that LHO said
"This is it". And a few months later, in a CBS interview with Eddie Barker
that was filmed inside the Texas Theater, McDonald told Barker that Oswald
said "Well, it's all over now".

McDonald can be heard talking about both of those LHO statements in the
video linked below:

http://DVP-Potpourri.blogspot.com/2010/06/nick-mcdonald-and-paul-bentley.html

Ray

Jun 7, 2010, 2:41:23 PM6/7/10
to j.raymon...@gmail.com
On Jun 6, 2:52 pm, David Von Pein <davevonp...@aol.com> wrote:

On 11/23/63, in an interview for WFAA-TV, McDonald said that LHO said
"This is it". And a few months later, in a CBS interview with Eddie Barker
that was filmed inside the Texas Theater, McDonald told Barker that Oswald
said "Well, it's all over now".

Thanks for the McDonald quotes, David. Your collection of videos is
most impressive.

I don't have time to check over the testimony of the key witnesses,
but it looks from your chronology that it took "a few months" before
McDonald first came up with "it's all over now."

The Warren Commission could not endorse McDonald's claim:

"The other officers who helped subdue Oswald corroborated
McDonald in his testimony except that they did not hear Oswald say,
"It's all over now." Deputy Sheriff Eddy R. Walthers recalled such a
remark but he did not reach the scene of the struggle until Oswald had
been knocked to the floor by McDonald and the others." (WR 179).

McDonald's claim is corroborated by Walthers, but Walthers wasn't
there. So Walthers was lying. The Report does not mention your friend
Paul Bentley, but we know that Bentley was also a late arrival, so
Bentley was lying also.

Which leaves the hero of the hour, Nick McDonald, without a shred of
corroboration even though these words were exclaimed, allegedly, in
front of a small crowd of people.

By all accounts,not much was said during the arrest

Did Oz say "THis is it"?

As far as I recall --please correct if wrong -- McDonald was alone in
hearing this.

I just searched the Warren Report and found no reference to this
alleged statement by Oz. Unless someone corrects me, I will conclude
that the Warren Commission did not believe McDonald on this issue, and
did not consider his claim worthy of inclusion in their report.

According to George Applin,

Mr. APPLIN - Well, the officer, I heard him say, "Here he is."

I submit that McDonald said "Here he is" and later recycled his own
exclamation and tried to pass it off as something Oz exclaimed.

P.S. I notice that your hero, Vince Bugliosi, relies on McDonald's
claim, and neglects to mention that the Warren Commission seems not to
have believed it.

It is inconsistent with everything else Oz ever said, before or after
his arrest, and only wishful thinkers believe it.

Ray

Jun 7, 2010, 2:42:45 PM6/7/10
Earlier today I wrote:
"P.S. I notice that your hero, Vince Bugliosi, relies on McDonald's
claim, and neglects to mention that the Warren Commission seems not to
have believed it."

To clarify, Bugliosi relies on McDonald's claim that Oz said

"It's all over now."

But Bugliosi does not rely on McDonald's claim that Oz said

"This is it."

My search of Bug's book shows the phrase "this is it" appearing 3 times,
but it is always attributed to others, never to Oz.

SO Bugliosi does not believe that Oz said

"This is it"

And neither did the Warren Commission.

Seems the great hero McDonald has a slight CREDIBILITY GAP.

tomnln

Jun 7, 2010, 10:31:27 PM6/7/10
SEE>>> http://whokilledjfk.net/testimony.htm

"Ray" <j.raymon...@gmail.com> wrote in message

timstter

Jun 8, 2010, 5:10:18 PM6/8/10
On Jun 1, 3:35 pm, David Von Pein <davevonp...@aol.com> wrote:
> Does anyone have any idea where the following alleged (and ridiculous)
> quote from Lee Harvey Oswald originated?
>
> At least one radio newsman quoted Oswald as having said these words on
> November 22 as LHO was being hauled out of the Texas Theater:
>
>       "I got me a President and a cop, and I'm gonna get me two more."

> If only we had a tape recording of Oswald confessing to BOTH murders
> in such a manner.
>
> But I doubt that even such a recording would be enough to silence the
> Anybody-But-Oswald conspiracy crowd. They would probably declare it to
> be a fake tape, with Dave Ferrie imitating Oswald on the recording.
> (Gary Oldman would have been too young to do the impersonation, since
> Gary was only five years old in 1963.)
>
> ==========================
>
> Related Warren Commission Testimony:
>
> DAVID W. BELIN -- "Were you asked ever to make a report of any
> conversation you had with him [Lee Oswald]?"
>
> POLICE OFFICER C.T. WALKER -- "No; they called me on the phone a
> couple of days after, and some supervisor asked me, there had been a
> rumor got out that Oswald had said, "Well, I got me a President and a
> cop. I should have got me two more." Or something like that. But that
> conversation was never said, because I was with him from the time that
> he was arrested until the time the detectives took him over."

Hi DVP,

Wasn't the quote: *I got me a President and a cop and I'll try for two
more.*?

I believe the clip with this voiceover by a newsman is in part four of
TMWKK.

Thanks for providing the clip of Bentley discussing the quote.
Excellent stuff!

Regards,

Tim Brennan
Sydney, Australia
*Newsgroup(s) Commentator*

ShutterBun

Jun 8, 2010, 10:09:02 PM6/8/10
On Jun 8, 2:10 pm, timstter <timst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Wasn't the quote: *I got me a President and a cop and I'll try for two
> more.*?
>
> I believe the clip with this voiceover by a newsman is in part four of
> TMWKK.

That's the point: he's trying to pin down where the newscaster (who
was merely repeating another, unnamed reporter) got the quote.

tomnln

Jun 9, 2010, 12:03:59 AM6/9/10
ALL 9 parts of TMWKK are here>>> http://whokilledjfk.net/videopg.htm

"ShutterBun" <shutt...@gmail.com> wrote in message

timstter

Jun 10, 2010, 6:02:00 PM6/10/10

Well, that's the only place I've ever heard it; as a voiceover to that
particular film clip of Oswald.

Pretty strong quote! Has all the hallmarks of a newsman's beat up, I
guess.