SS Maasdam passenger list - Oswald page

Peter Fokes

May 4, 2006, 10:47:03 AM5/4/06
As far as I know, the passenger list page with Oswald's name has never
appeared online before. As far as I know, it is not a Commission
Exhibit either.

http://www.toronto.hm/oswald_on_ss_maasdam.html

This page shows Oswald's name. When I get time, I'll scan and upload
the other pages with some accompanying information.

PF

James K. Olmstead

May 4, 2006, 4:15:29 PM5/4/06
Thanks much Pete

jko

Martijn Meijering

May 4, 2006, 5:46:16 PM5/4/06

Thanks!

The column headings and the leftmost column are only partially shown. I
don't suppose they contain earth shattering information, but it would be
nice to understand what all the information means.

Accommodatie = accomodation (you guessed it :-) )
Van = From
Naar = To
Kantoor / Agent = Branch / Agent
1/1 = full price
1/2 = half price
1/0 = free
Naam passagier = Name passenger
Afvaart = sailing date
... bedrag $ (?) = ... amount $ (?)
???
bruto ... = gross ...
valuta = currency
???
???
???

The Van and Naar fields seem to contain one letter codes for various
ports. R must stand for Rotterdam, N for New York, S somewhere in
England, judging by the fact that those who paid in pounds have an S.

Amexco Rd must stand for American Express Company Rotterdam. I had read
in a book that Oswald had picked up his tickets there. I found that
surprising, since the Holland America Line had an office (maybe even its
headquarters) in Rotterdam. But this list seems to confirm it.

Oswald's room nr seems to have been 473. It looks as if bringing a crib
for the baby cost you extra. It also looks as if A ter Meer had to pay
$5 extra to bring his 2 pigeons (2 duiven) along :-) This definitely
still leaves my Mr Jelisavcic in Room 384 mystery unsolved...

Peter Fokes

May 4, 2006, 10:18:07 PM5/4/06
On 4 May 2006 17:46:16 -0400, Martijn Meijering <mar...@mevs.nl>
wrote:

Thanks for your help at translating the column headings.

Pigeons?

Great for sending messages over great distances!

PF