totoro

Lyn Bishop

Jul 20, 1993, 9:11:38 PM7/20/93
I have been watching many Japanese movies lately. I especially enjoy
Totoro. Even though I am an adult, I find the story very sweet, and
the big fuzzy totoro very cute. I especially like the style of
animation done by the artist. It is not what I would consider typical
Japanese style.

I believe that it is sub-titled in English, this is a great movie
for the whole family.

Enjoy -
Lyn Bishop
lbi...@sc.us.adobe.com

Donald Tsang

Jul 21, 1993, 1:17:54 AM7/21/93
In article <> lbi...@adobe.com (Lyn Bishop) writes:
>I have been watching many Japanese movies lately. I especially enjoy
>Totoro. [...]

Although it isn't completely wrong to talk about Totoro or other
Miyazaki films here, rec.arts.anime would be better.

PS I really liked Totoro too.
English-dubbed version:
Siskel gave it a thumbs down for being "boring", but Ebert
really ripped into him for being "old" and "unimaginitive".
The few prints are making their way around the country. Go
see it if you have the chance.
Subtitled:
If you don't mind subtitling, IMHO it's better to see the
subtitled version, because the original music is better.
Same with the voices, though the dubbing job is quite good.

---
Donald Tsang | Cartoon Law VII: Certain bodies can pass through solid
ts...@austin.ibm.com | walls painted to resemble tunnel entrances; others
| cannot.

Joseph Boyle

Jul 24, 1993, 1:04:00 AM7/24/93
Yes, I can see how it looks boring at first sight. IMHO, the marketing of
the recent US release botched this, presenting it as a G-rated kiddie movie
that turns out to be too sweet for the taste of most real American kiddies,
instead of going after the ironic hipster crowd or adults nostalgic for
childhood. Also, they used an ugly typeface. Probably the US studios
pigeonholed it as a "family" flick early on and then sent it to that dept.
where it got the standard treatment.

I like Totoro too. The Oh-Totoro reminds me of my old girlfriend, and when
I found Kimono My House 3 years ago, I had to get a Totoro poster for my
room. Visitors always remark on the curious creatures and twisted English.