G-d Rebuilds All Buildings

Paula

Dec 1, 2001, 4:27:34 PM12/1/01
I know it is a while since I last posted. I didn't think it seemly to
rush into verse in commemoration of the September 11th Tragedy that I
am sure most people here will know of. But I hope my poem will be of
comfort to those still in shock,

kindest regards

Paula.

A TOWER OF STRENGTH

G-d creates us all
and with our hands we build.

G-d creates us all
and with our minds we work.

One Fall day
did a building fall.

And so on we move
in Love and Faith.

There must be a reason
But only G-d knows.

As a buiding arises again
so does our faith.

Jeannekhan

Dec 1, 2001, 6:52:34 PM12/1/01
Paula,

There is no God.
I checked.
Humans build
and destroy
each other and all gods;
it's the full-employment
plan for religions
who missed the point
of Jesus and the like--
to distract us
from looking at each other
and comprehending mirrors.

Jeanne

Mike Billard

Dec 1, 2001, 8:19:49 PM12/1/01
"Jeannekhan" <jeann...@aol.com> wrote in message

Same screed, different day. Try go looking at a butterfly and describing it.

Martijn Benders

Dec 1, 2001, 9:59:43 PM12/1/01

Paula wrote:

> There must be a reason
> But only G-d knows.

In fact, the terrorists were sanctioned by their God.
So God doesn't only build stuff, he also destroys it.
Sept 11th was nothing compared to Gomorrah.

Finger of God, Misses.

I'd have a hard time visualising an atheist commiting these
kind of monstrosities. As russel said:

I would never die for my beliefs. My beliefs might be wrong.

> As a buiding arises again
> so does our faith.

Christians are always the first to promote their own religion through
the disasters of others. Is there anything in this world you guys
_wouldn't_ grasp for some nice propaganda?

M.H.Benders

--
De Zeekannibaal online:
http://members.brabant.chello.nl/~m.benders/

Jeannekhan

Dec 1, 2001, 10:42:20 PM12/1/01
Mike,

Monarchs explained Monsanto's
world vision as I described dying
in their final folding and unfolding
and how they crumbled days later
from kaleidoscope to color dot
I'd know in your eyes as disinterested
in their demise. Darwin took note
as you dismissed any view but one
taught you as sacred creed. Moths
mourned that humanity was wasted
on near chimp named humans..;>

Do give me your version of butterfly?

Today I feel Israeli in a mall,
an American getting even
and dismissive of any who
believe "try" matters; it doesn't.
Do or do not is what's so.
Mark Twain amuses me more..;>

Jeanne who thanks you for reading
and reacting; you are not dead yet.

Mike Billard

Dec 1, 2001, 11:03:23 PM12/1/01

> Mike,
>
> Monarchs explained Monsanto's
> world vision as I described dying
> in their final folding and unfolding
> and how they crumbled days later
> from kaleidoscope to color dot
> I'd know in your eyes as disinterested
> in their demise. Darwin took note
> as you dismissed any view but one
> taught you as sacred creed. Moths
> mourned that humanity was wasted
> on near chimp named humans..;>
>
> Do give me your version of butterfly?

Why, are you too lazy to go out and get your own version? Oh, wait, was that
a butterfly up there? How poetic. I notice your butterfly can't help but but
serve as a slave for your now oh so tired and boring rhetoric. Hugo
(Richard, not Victor) once remarked that most poets spend their lives
writing the same poem over and over again. I don't think he quite meant the
*exact* same poem over and over again. Okay, so you're a one trick pony. I
think that's been pretty much established. But could you at least put on a
different costume once in a while?

> Today I feel Israeli in a mall,
> an American getting even
> and dismissive of any who
> believe "try" matters; it doesn't.
> Do or do not is what's so.
> Mark Twain amuses me more..;>
>
> Jeanne who thanks you for reading
> and reacting; you are not dead yet.

You seem to be going for a sort of Ernest Slyman thing, only a little less
imaginative and informative. How about you send up a flare or something when
you've finally rocked that old jalopy of yours out of the rut it's stuck in?

Joy Yourcenar

Dec 1, 2001, 11:27:17 PM12/1/01
On Sat, 1 Dec 2001 23:03:23 -0500, "Mike Billard" <mbil...@erols.com>
wrote:

Remember when this was the kinder, gentler alternative to RAP. Hee.

Joy

Joy Yourcenar
Mythologies http://evolvingbeauty.com/myth
icon/graphy http://evolvingbeauty.com/myth

As the wind blows through my long hair.
I am a lily in your storm.
~By Shu Ting~

Jeannekhan

Dec 2, 2001, 2:38:29 AM12/2/01
Mike,

Methinks you instruct
given I outlined my version
asked to see yours
and you balked, bitter, that.

Ad hominen becomes you,
but seriously Mike, having
not yet heard of Ernest
Slyman, the more imaginative
and informative, I'll find out
a bit about why he calls
up your Richard Hugo whose
shoe seems to pinch you..;>

You rock your old jalopy
and it leaves the rut you recognize?

You have a flare for assessment.
Who could fail to be flattered?

Your attention is warranted.
Your instruction is noted;
I'll make haste to determine
why no God makes you antsy
as you decide butterflies
serve as slaves in some settings..;>

Jesus loves you, of course.

Jeanne who loves you more
no matter your present costume.

Jeannekhan

Dec 2, 2001, 2:43:16 AM12/2/01
Joy,

Yes.

Promises, promises..;>

Hee helps lots.

Jeanne off to palmolive park.

Zinc

Dec 2, 2001, 3:23:24 AM12/2/01
"Martijn Benders" <maan...@chello.nl> wrote in message

> Paula wrote:
>

> > There must be a reason
> > But only G-d knows.
>
> In fact, the terrorists were sanctioned by their God.
> So God doesn't only build stuff, he also destroys it.
> Sept 11th was nothing compared to Gomorrah.

Paula's a troll. And the biblical wrath stuff is so tiresome -
btw, you forgot to mention the Inquisition.

> Finger of God, Misses.
>
> I'd have a hard time visualising an atheist commiting these
> kind of monstrosities. As russel said:

Stalin, Hitler, Mao, etc, and so on. Only millions versus
thousands. Was it Stalin who effectively lessened human value in
relation to the size of the statistic? Or maybe it's the
revisionist who, when speaking of mass murderers, ignores the
inconvenient fact here and there.

> I would never die for my beliefs. My beliefs might be wrong.

Says nothing of the 'leaders' who would gladly offer a million
Russels for a few feet of dirt.

> > As a buiding arises again
> > so does our faith.
>
> Christians are always the first to promote their own religion
through
> the disasters of others. Is there anything in this world you
guys
> _wouldn't_ grasp for some nice propaganda?

She's a troll. How does this then fare with propaganda?

Dennis M. Hammes

Dec 2, 2001, 4:17:11 AM12/2/01

the box marked God
was blank
I checked
--
>^,,^<
If all is not lost,
where is it?
http://t-independent.com/scrawlmark-press/

Dennis M. Hammes

Dec 2, 2001, 4:18:07 AM12/2/01

the butterfly
is not a mandarin
but a monarch

Paula

Dec 2, 2001, 6:17:38 AM12/2/01
Thank you for your kind words about my poem Martijn.

Although it saddens me that not everyone is a practising Christian, I
hope at least you can find comfort from G-d in times of distress.

I wish you well,

Paula

Rik Roots

Dec 2, 2001, 6:25:56 AM12/2/01
> A TOWER OF STRENGTH
>

> G-d creates us all
> and with our hands we build.
>
> G-d creates us all
> and with our minds we work.
>
> One Fall day
> did a building fall.
>
> And so on we move
> in Love and Faith.
>
> There must be a reason
> But only G-d knows.
>
> As a buiding arises again
> so does our faith.

This is trite beyond redemption.

Have you submitted it to Hallmark, yet?

Rik, knee deep.

--
http://www.kalieda.org/poems/
Pop in for a browse, when you have a moment to spare...

Sarandipidy

Dec 2, 2001, 11:15:31 AM12/2/01
>Although it saddens me that not everyone is a practising Christian

eesh.

reeses peaces,
sara

are you frightened of the box you keep him in?

Martijn Benders

Dec 2, 2001, 4:21:27 PM12/2/01

Zinc wrote:

> > I'd have a hard time visualising an atheist commiting these
> > kind of monstrosities. As russel said:
>
> Stalin, Hitler, Mao, etc, and so on.

They never did suicide bombings. Atheists want to survive.

> > Christians are always the first to promote their own religion
> through
> > the disasters of others. Is there anything in this world you
> guys
> > _wouldn't_ grasp for some nice propaganda?
>
> She's a troll. How does this then fare with propaganda?

I saw nothing else on t.v. related to America first two monts after the
attack which wasn't flecked with stern christian propaganda. Christians
historically need disasters to keep their religion alive.

M.H.Benders

Martijn Benders

Dec 2, 2001, 4:24:04 PM12/2/01

Paula wrote:

> Thank you for your kind words about my poem Martijn.

I didn't say anything about your poem. It was shite, though, as usual.

> Although it saddens me that not everyone is a practising Christian, I
> hope at least you can find comfort from G-d in times of distress.

Christians do not write 'G-d' - that's a jewish tradition. So I suppose
you really are a troll, though your trolls are as boring as your poems.

M.H.Benders

--
De Zeekannibaal online:
http://www.chello.nl/~m.benders/

Mike Billard

Dec 2, 2001, 6:06:18 PM12/2/01

> Mike,
>
> Methinks you instruct
> given I outlined my version
> asked to see yours
> and you balked, bitter, that.
>
> Ad hominen becomes you,

Funny, since I've yet to even dabble in any. You write and write and the
more you write the more you say nothing new, or even slightly different. And
I've pointed that out to you, twice. You cannot put pen to paper, or finger
to keyboard, without slipping quickly into the same old rhetoric, said in
the same old way. I couldn't care less what it is you're actually espousing,
or condemning. I only care that you can't seem to do anything different.
Same words, same phrases, same ideas. Once in awhile you have to change at
least one of the three.

> but seriously Mike, having
> not yet heard of Ernest
> Slyman, the more imaginative
> and informative, I'll find out
> a bit about why he calls
> up your Richard Hugo whose
> shoe seems to pinch you..;>
>
> You rock your old jalopy
> and it leaves the rut you recognize?
>
> You have a flare for assessment.
> Who could fail to be flattered?
>
> Your attention is warranted.
> Your instruction is noted;
> I'll make haste to determine
> why no God makes you antsy

Ah, I knew as much would happen. You fancy yourself controversial, and you
think anyone who finds fault in your writing must surely find fault in the
ideas communicated, and not in the form or the structure or the
presentation. Sorry to disappoint you. I would take just as much exception
to your little rants if they were of the "all God" variety. Athiesm is old
hat around here. Anti-Bush (anti almost any political view, in fact) is old
hat around here. Neither raises nary an eyebrow anymore. I have a suspicion
that when you switch focus from intentionally trying to be political and
controversial to allowing your verse the freedom to say whtever it wants
(even if that leads back to political themes), you'll become a better poet.

> as you decide butterflies
> serve as slaves in some settings..;>

The problem is currently most everything serves as a slave in your setting.
A butterfly can't be just a butterfly, it also has to be the lead into a
remark like

"Darwin took note
as you dismissed any view but one
taught you as sacred creed."

No opportunity to rant against either religion or some political target is
ever ignored. And that is my point about 99% of everything I've ever read by
you. You seem to have a considerable capacity for language, and it's a shame
you're using it almost exclusively for such a singular purpose.

> Jesus loves you, of course.

As he does you.

Zinc

Dec 2, 2001, 7:38:06 PM12/2/01

> Zinc wrote:
>

> > > I'd have a hard time visualising an atheist commiting these
> > > kind of monstrosities. As russel said:
> >
> > Stalin, Hitler, Mao, etc, and so on.
>
> They never did suicide bombings. Atheists want to survive.

So your point is that religionists are worse than atheists (while
still ignoring the numbers) because the monstrosities they commit
also include killing themselves? Seems a curious point to make if
you dislike the former, since they're eliminating themselves
voluntarily anyway.

> > > Christians are always the first to promote their own
religion
> > through
> > > the disasters of others. Is there anything in this world
you
> > guys
> > > _wouldn't_ grasp for some nice propaganda?
> >
> > She's a troll. How does this then fare with propaganda?
>
> I saw nothing else on t.v. related to America first two monts
after the
> attack which wasn't flecked with stern christian propaganda.
Christians
> historically need disasters to keep their religion alive.

Disasters usually make people think about the things that really
matter to them. I don't recall hearing any "stern christian
propaganda" just outrage from the various targeted infidels,
including Christians. I suppose it's all a matter of perception.
But, if you must feel threatened by someone, you really should be
paying attention to who is most likely to threaten you. Unless,
like the religionists, you're willing to sacrifice yourself to
purge your world of the Christian threat.

> M.H.Benders

Aidan Tynan

Dec 2, 2001, 8:50:56 PM12/2/01

>Disasters usually make people think about the things that really
>matter to them. I don't recall hearing any "stern christian
>propaganda"

Oh, come on! The west is milking the christianity vs islam cow for every
drop of propaganda (while they eye up afghanistan for an oil colony).

just outrage from the various targeted infidels,
>including Christians. I suppose it's all a matter of perception.

I guess you just totally missed all the prayer vigil crap on CNN?
What about god bless amerika? I saw the two rescued aid workers on tv, they
sounded about as fundamentalist as bin laden on a good day.

-Aidan

Martijn Benders

Dec 2, 2001, 9:18:25 PM12/2/01

Zinc wrote:

> > > Stalin, Hitler, Mao, etc, and so on.
> >
> > They never did suicide bombings. Atheists want to survive.
>
> So your point is that religionists are worse than atheists (while
> still ignoring the numbers) because the monstrosities they commit
> also include killing themselves?

But ofcourse. That's not a very creative attitude. It point out to the
fact that they don't regard their work as a work of art, as Stockhausen
would like us to believe. Which painter would kill himself while
painting something and thus rid himself of the ability to even just see
his own work? Stalin, Hitler and Mao had creative powers and whatever
you'd think of their work doesn't change the fact that they at least had
the courage or decency to at least face it for some time.

> Disasters usually make people think about the things that really
> matter to them.

That's odd. Disasters usually make me think of earthquakes, falling
planes, and such sort of stuff. It seems to me not the right time to
start thinking about things that really matter to me, even if only for
the effectiveness of the response.

M.H.Benders

Chuck Lysaght

Dec 2, 2001, 10:05:55 PM12/2/01
Thanks for your poem Paula. All you have to do is mention religion and
the old guard here will go crazy. They'll be rude to you, and write
out hateful things. Dai is sick. So is Martijn. Don't let them upset
you.

Chuck Lysaght

Dec 2, 2001, 10:33:26 PM12/2/01
I'm sorry Paula. I meant Aidan. Not Dai.

Zinc

Dec 2, 2001, 10:47:54 PM12/2/01
"Aidan Tynan" <aty...@eircom.net> wrote in message

> >Disasters usually make people think about the things that
really
> >matter to them. I don't recall hearing any "stern christian
> >propaganda"
>
> Oh, come on! The west is milking the christianity vs islam cow
for every
> drop of propaganda (while they eye up afghanistan for an oil
colony).

Well, if the God Bless America phrase - and similar - are what
you're referring to, it's all pretty generic (and not at all
unusual in history). Sure, it's more or less expected to be the
Christian God that blesses America, but - wow - Christianity (or
what's left of it) /is/ the predominate religion in the west.
It's more Islam vs Everything Else. The subject of oil is rather
tiring. The conservatives (which include the Christians, btw) in
the U.S. are the ones who've been pushing for the increase in
Alaskan oil for years just to get away from the dependency on the
precarious Middle Eastern flavor, much to the dismay of the
left's tundra-conscious who successfully maintain the status quo.

> just outrage from the various targeted infidels,
> >including Christians. I suppose it's all a matter of
perception.

> I guess you just totally missed all the prayer vigil crap on
CNN?
> What about god bless amerika? I saw the two rescued aid workers
on tv, they
> sounded about as fundamentalist as bin laden on a good day.

I did miss the CNN crap. Always happy to miss CNN crap - I
dropped cable when I realized what my kids were /expected/ to
watch on it. Call me an idealist.

> -Aidan

Zinc

Dec 2, 2001, 10:56:10 PM12/2/01

> > > They never did suicide bombings. Atheists want to survive.
> >
> > So your point is that religionists are worse than atheists
(while
> > still ignoring the numbers) because the monstrosities they
commit
> > also include killing themselves?
>
> But ofcourse. That's not a very creative attitude. It point out
to the
> fact that they don't regard their work as a work of art, as
Stockhausen
> would like us to believe. Which painter would kill himself
while
> painting something and thus rid himself of the ability to even
just see
> his own work? Stalin, Hitler and Mao had creative powers and
whatever
> you'd think of their work doesn't change the fact that they at
least had
> the courage or decency to at least face it for some time.

Ha! So decent of them to see things through.

> > Disasters usually make people think about the things that
really
> > matter to them.
>
> That's odd. Disasters usually make me think of earthquakes,
falling
> planes, and such sort of stuff. It seems to me not the right
time to
> start thinking about things that really matter to me, even if
only for
> the effectiveness of the response.

Well, if (God forbid) your house should catch fire, don't go
thinking about saving anything (or anyone) but your own butt.
That's what Stalin would have done.

> M.H.Benders

gnarl

Dec 2, 2001, 11:07:20 PM12/2/01
Accurate.

Jeannekhan

Dec 3, 2001, 2:57:13 AM12/3/01
Gnarl,

By my reckoning, seems so.

Thanks for the concurrence,
you are a brave sort; appreciate that.

Am new in this group, but
have a couple thousand practice
pieces on other subjects..;>
so help me. Have learned that
religionists believe in an after life
which seems to color their view
of responsibilities/fun in this one.

That after life bent scares the bejesus
out of me, it permeates everything
such that non-believers are seen
as The Other which is the intent of
the crowd controllers aka evangelicals
whose success is measured in
numbers eager to begin the after life
or so it seems in several settings.

Atheists/humanists and like ists
seem more certain of the present
moment as a chance to be good,
kind or in a learning mode per my
experience, hence their views make
some sense to me even as I applaud
ritual as essential to humans marking
time over time. Icons, ritual and aids
of various kinds are useful to most
folks, some have associative memories,
for example, I keep my dead son's
writings, trophies and items he liked.
The Army provided two folded flags,
my daughter has one she uses, mine
is folded evermore, it happens because
we are different and she finds Catholicism
useful as I did to raise two children alone
sending them to an academy to ensure
they learned to read and write in the
classical manner that made sense to
me. I told my children everyone needs
something to depart from, my son did
toward a Buddhist view which makes
sense to me as I value living things, too,
but my daughter and her husband find
their religion a comfort beyond the utility
I assigned due to its structure and being
so imbedded in our culture that one ought
to be familiar with such, like piano lessons and drum and bugle corps..;>

Parents may need crutches or comforts nowadays, " because I say so" worked
for me as I was in charge, responsible..;>

But they are not strict constructionists
and our views are mutually tolerable
most days. The vascetomy following
birth control was a wise move, imo.
Three children are plenty...;> Both parents
are fully employed and parenting is not
easy, church may be useful respite for
them, never my choice since I learned
that a Catholic vocation did not qualify
me to be Pope, disappointing to a devout
sixteen-year-old, especially when a first
kiss provided an equal level of ecstasy
as hours in retreats and meditations
after daily mass and I felt I had been misled by those looking for handmaidens
of the lord vice CE0-types which I elected
to become to provide for my family, politics interests me, one dear friend
viewed my recent horror dating from
last December as "poligion" which I find
a joy to contemplate--born again, yeah!

All of which is to say, I am delighted
you keyed "Accurate" re: my assessment
of what's so. After a cue ball bonked
me, I wondered for an instant where all
that came from, then saw something
may be learned from rubbing someone
the wrong way, the need for after life
really matters to those who chafe at
this life as if this is not all there is. I've
not a clue, nor do I subscribe to Pascal;
your "Accurate" blesses me beyond
words. Thank you.

Jeanne

>Accurate.

Jeannekhan

Dec 3, 2001, 3:11:29 AM12/3/01
Martin,

Notwithstanding I may agree re: atheists,
I suggest humans are the source
for their actions, blaming a god makes
no sense, imo. Religionists are focused
on the after life so this one matters less,
but atheists are no more or less honorable
than they are, imo. If of a humanist bent
they may hold secular ethics (I do)
consistent with near natural laws of
common sense and weal or golden rule; even Bertrand may note we create gods
to explain/excuse/forgive what we do..;>

Your annoyance is understandable, I've
felt it when the born-again emanations
eat my face..;> I hear prattle creating
The Other as words did create God/gods.

No atheist I know would be so stupid/
cruel as the firmly Righteous, but then
their human side may suggest this is
all there is, be nice to others and break a
bully's neck for the sake of the tribe..;>

Long time no see Martin.
But who could forget a name like yours?

Jeanne

Martijn Benders

Dec 3, 2001, 8:00:58 AM12/3/01

Zinc wrote:

> > But ofcourse. That's not a very creative attitude. It point out
> to the
> > fact that they don't regard their work as a work of art, as
> Stockhausen
> > would like us to believe. Which painter would kill himself
> while
> > painting something and thus rid himself of the ability to even
> just see
> > his own work? Stalin, Hitler and Mao had creative powers and
> whatever
> > you'd think of their work doesn't change the fact that they at
> least had
> > the courage or decency to at least face it for some time.
>
> Ha! So decent of them to see things through.

The point is rather that religious people act from an unartistic point
of view. It's impossible to be a creator when someone else in turn
created you. That's why no one created your christian God, and that's
why christians can't be artists - it would immediately turn them into
atheists!

> > > Disasters usually make people think about the things that
> really
> > > matter to them.
> >
> > That's odd. Disasters usually make me think of earthquakes,
> falling
> > planes, and such sort of stuff. It seems to me not the right
> time to
> > start thinking about things that really matter to me, even if
> only for
> > the effectiveness of the response.
>
> Well, if (God forbid) your house should catch fire, don't go
> thinking about saving anything (or anyone) but your own butt.

The point is that the associative power of a christian is such that when
a disaster happens he immediately starts thinking about other disasters,
and starts reminding every one else about those disasters.

That's not very effective. Better to focus at the disaster at hand.
One person likes God, another masturbation. You don't hear people going
on and on about how much they appreciate wanking off after a disaster
happened. Now why is that?

M.H.Benders

--
De Zeekannibaal online:
http://www.chello.nl/~m.benders/

Zinc

Dec 3, 2001, 2:02:04 PM12/3/01

> Zinc wrote:
>
> > > But ofcourse. That's not a very creative attitude. It point out
> > to the
> > > fact that they don't regard their work as a work of art, as
> > Stockhausen
> > > would like us to believe. Which painter would kill himself
> > while
> > > painting something and thus rid himself of the ability to even
> > just see
> > > his own work? Stalin, Hitler and Mao had creative powers and
> > whatever
> > > you'd think of their work doesn't change the fact that they at
> > least had
> > > the courage or decency to at least face it for some time.
> >
> > Ha! So decent of them to see things through.
>
> The point is rather that religious people act from an unartistic point
> of view. It's impossible to be a creator when someone else in turn
> created you. That's why no one created your christian God, and that's
> why christians can't be artists - it would immediately turn them into
> atheists!

Your dictionary must have been printed in Albania. And the point/s is/are
altogether arbitrary.

> > really
> > >
> > > That's odd. Disasters usually make me think of earthquakes,
> > falling
> > > planes, and such sort of stuff. It seems to me not the right
> > time to
> > > start thinking about things that really matter to me, even if
> > only for
> > > the effectiveness of the response.
> >
> > Well, if (God forbid) your house should catch fire, don't go
> > thinking about saving anything (or anyone) but your own butt.
>
> The point is that the associative power of a christian is such that when
> a disaster happens he immediately starts thinking about other disasters,
> and starts reminding every one else about those disasters.

Hmm, I thought you said that disasters reminded you of... other disasters.
This /is/ creative. I couldn't tell at first that you were a Christian.

> That's not very effective. Better to focus at the disaster at hand.
> One person likes God, another masturbation. You don't hear people going
> on and on about how much they appreciate wanking off after a disaster
> happened. Now why is that?

Culture. But would the news stories of our sexual frenzy in the aftermath be
close enough? Some people do go on and on about Christians, however. Similar
effect.

George Tolis

Dec 3, 2001, 2:35:50 PM12/3/01
I'll top post, as I generally agree with everything you've said.

Why is it that taking a political stance in a poem that makes it so hard
to position the voice in an appealing way for the reader?

Is it that the opinion overcomes the poetics? I'm thinking, for example,
of Auden's 'trash' on the Spanish Civil War (his own word), but also of,
say, Fred D'Aguiar's anti-slavery poetry (but is it?) or even WCW's Red
Wheelbarrow. Is it the subtlety that makes the latter two more
accessible, or that the political readings are no more than that?

I'm curious, because I've had 'apolitical' levelled at me in the past as
a criticism, but I've also seen political slants level a poem in
critics' eyes.

Rather than discuss the old 'what can/can't be done in poetry is in the
way you say it' topic, I'd appreciate if you could give specific
examples of what you think's done wrong in one of Jeanne's poems (if
she's willing) , compared to what might be done right in a political
poem that you think is 'successful'. I can see some of what you're
criticising and I agree, but I find I'm unable to define things with
proof of the /why/ it's not working.

G.

P.S. Might need a new thread for this.

Mike Billard <mbil...@erols.com> wrote in message

Dharkness

Dec 3, 2001, 2:52:10 PM12/3/01
You may be sincere in what you say, but that doesn't stop this being an
awful poem. In its current state this is the most positive thing I can say.
--
Dean Ś:Ź)

Zeus, by Jove, King of Olympus, quiet and waxing chairs?

"Paula" Spake thus.......

_

> A TOWER OF STRENGTH
>

> G-d creates us all
> and with our hands we build.
>
> G-d creates us all
> and with our minds we work.
>
> One Fall day
> did a building fall.
>
> And so on we move
> in Love and Faith.
>
> There must be a reason
> But only G-d knows.

George Tolis

Dec 3, 2001, 2:53:12 PM12/3/01
Paula <phan...@yesbox.net> wrote in message

> I know it is a while since I last posted. I didn't think it seemly to
> rush into verse in commemoration of the September 11th Tragedy that I
> am sure most people here will know of. But I hope my poem will be of
> comfort to those still in shock,
>
> kindest regards
>
> Paula.

This is beautiful Paula. I wish I had your sense of irony.

> A TOWER OF STRENGTH
>

> G-d creates us all
> and with our hands we build.
>
> G-d creates us all
> and with our minds we work.
>
> One Fall day

Fall, eh? Now I'm really confused.

> did a building fall.
>
> And so on we move
> in Love and Faith.

And I thought I was the only person who painted abstract concepts on my
shoes. Mine are called 'Socialism' and 'Queue-Free National Health
Service'.

> There must be a reason
> But only G-d knows.
>
> As a buiding arises again

Typo.

> so does our faith.

'Faith' looks more impressive.

Best Rgds,

G.

Martijn Benders

Dec 3, 2001, 6:40:33 PM12/3/01

Jeannekhan wrote:

> Long time no see Martin.
> But who could forget a name like yours?

My long absence here was completely caused by the attitude of one Jim
Sheard. It took me months to convince this guy to update the picture on
my bio-page on the AAPC website*, and when he finally agreed to do so he
_accidentally blurred_ (so to speak) the picture I've sent as to
'smoothen down the effect of my hair'. I have a long and detailed e-mail
in my mailbox in which Sheard goes on and on about my hair, and he keeps
sending me odd hotel poems to publish on my website.

For some people a name just isn't enough.

M.H.Benders

* This update was completely legitemate, since I bleached my hair and I
thought that was _at least_ relevant enough to launch a new campaign...

--
De Zeekannibaal online:
http://www.chello.nl/~m.benders/

Chuck Lysaght

Dec 3, 2001, 6:49:51 PM12/3/01
Fuck you Aidan. You're a scumbag.

Bindi

Dec 3, 2001, 7:02:28 PM12/3/01

"George Tolis" <catal...@junkresponseukonline.co.uk> wrote in message

> Paula <phan...@yesbox.net> wrote in message
> > And so on we move
> > in Love and Faith.
>
> And I thought I was the only person who painted abstract concepts on my
> shoes. Mine are called 'Socialism' and 'Queue-Free National Health
> Service'.

so when you walk, your shoes go SQ SQ SQ ?

Bindi

Jeannekhan

Dec 4, 2001, 7:49:13 AM12/4/01
Mike,

Just saw yours, apologies here.

Had I known it's all been said, I'd have
taken to my bed and penned no more
until woodies pecked my door; your kind
advice sounds like: stifle it, Edith, but
you've no Bunker mental state; seige is
unsettling to tribal chiefs who brook
no tirades by trite-sweet soothsayers;
Jesus does not love me; he said so;
my yards of verse on sex made him say:
shame on you, vixen; repent, be saved:
I replied: no, thank you; his warm spit
hit me across the room; I spat back;
he shat a brick; I laughed; he guffawed;
he said: I'm only human, you know?
I said: I do; I like you anyway; he wept
for incorrigibles are not his schtick..;>

Jeanne

Ryan Deschamps

Dec 4, 2001, 8:49:07 AM12/4/01

"Zinc" <zincno...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

And if you look to more drawn out and less sensational disasters (eg. The
Black Plague), you get lots of sexual frenzy too. And some pretty good art
for some reason (Boccacio for one). But then you had some pretty good
religion stuff going on too.

So, you guys are probably back down to the ole subjective-relativist
argument. Now that we are in a modernist era (or some derivative of it) we
want our art to be original, or provocative: what we might call "creative."
Other eras emphasized consistency of form over originality -- and you had
some pretty good art too, just that you don't get to hear much about it
because everyone only wants to talk about the person who did form best (ie.
Pope).

That's an interesting thesis to develop -- Neo-Classicism aligns poets as a
big formed collective with the best poet (Pope) as its representative;
modern poetry emphasizes the artist as individual (Eliot, Pound, etc.) and
therefore emphasizes a multiplicity of great poets. Neither is better.
One just turns us on a little more these days.

Ryan. . .

> > M.H.Benders

Jim Sheard

Dec 4, 2001, 5:01:19 AM12/4/01
Martijn Benders said on 04 Dec 2001, 00:40:33:

> Jeannekhan wrote:
>
> > Long time no see Martin.
> > But who could forget a name like yours?
>
> My long absence here was completely caused by the attitude of one Jim
> Sheard. It took me months to convince this guy to update the picture on
> my bio-page on the AAPC website*, and when he finally agreed to do so he
> _accidentally blurred_ (so to speak) the picture I've sent as to
> 'smoothen down the effect of my hair'. I have a long and detailed e-mail
> in my mailbox in which Sheard goes on and on about my hair, and he keeps
> sending me odd hotel poems to publish on my website.

What could I do? The Poetburo was torn by internal dissent on the issue.
I have come to realise that - despite that campaign of misinformation in
which you pretend to argue Comb Ideology with Billardvich - that you and
he have formed a Hair Faction which is spreading counter-revolutionary
nonsense about the freedom to express oneself through Decadent Styling.
Those of us fighting for the True Revolution are reduced to guerilla actions
such as the doctoring of photographs - in your case, the original showed your
hair entangled with the central heating pipes above your head - a direct challenge
to the Glorious 5 Year Plan to Bring Overhead Heating to the Newly Shaven.

As for the 'long email', I am sure that you recognise it as an extract from
Crowtherov's classic 'Proceedings of the 9th Tribunal Against Deviant Pompadours',
upon which our very Movement is founded.

You are fomenting Civil War, Benders. And I promise that when the Bald
rise up against you, all your tresses will not protect you against the crack
of Pure Skin stretched over Naked Skull - I see you hanging from a lamp-post
being used as a human conker.

Jim

--
AAPC FAQ & Resources
http://www.aapcsite.plus.com/

Martijn Benders

Dec 4, 2001, 9:58:24 AM12/4/01

Zinc wrote:

> > That's not very effective. Better to focus at the disaster at hand.
> > One person likes God, another masturbation. You don't hear people going
> > on and on about how much they appreciate wanking off after a disaster
> > happened. Now why is that?
>
> Culture. But would the news stories of our sexual frenzy in the aftermath be
> close enough? Some people do go on and on about Christians, however. Similar
> effect.

Well, if we go around that particular peg: you're going on and on about
christians as well. You've discussed them in about every post you did
recently.

This, my friend, is exactly the kind of false argument you're trying to
shove into my shoes.

It's a very false and propagandistic stance - simular to the 'two
fight-two guilty' folklore ethics.

M.H.Benders

Martijn Benders

Dec 4, 2001, 11:02:44 AM12/4/01

Jim Sheard wrote:

I have a long and detailed e-mail
> > in my mailbox in which Sheard goes on and on about my hair, and he keeps
> > sending me odd hotel poems to publish on my website.
>
> What could I do? The Poetburo was torn by internal dissent on the issue.
> I have come to realise that - despite that campaign of misinformation in
> which you pretend to argue Comb Ideology with Billardvich - that you and
> he have formed a Hair Faction which is spreading counter-revolutionary
> nonsense about the freedom to express oneself through Decadent Styling.

That's bollocks, Sheard. You just try to ruin a perfectly good
hairmoment by presenting these kind of wild accusations.

You know very well that Billard and me can't walk through one door. His
'Boris Becker on a depressed afternoon' look walks carefully in tune
with his Richard Hugo obsessions. It's a modernist barbeque american
hairstyle that has squat to do with everything my hair stands for.
Christ sake, the guy is married and works for the government!

> As for the 'long email', I am sure that you recognise it as an extract from
> Crowtherov's classic 'Proceedings of the 9th Tribunal Against Deviant Pompadours',
> upon which our very Movement is founded.

Says you. Beerbelly surrealism never was my cup of tea.

> You are fomenting Civil War, Benders.

Against _what_? I'm not an american, so I'm not eager to proclaim war on
non-existing entities. The absence of hair or even style does preclude
any option on redemption or even good old suffering. There is no such
thing as a 'bald martyr' in history, Sheard, and I very much doubt if
history is going to change it's course just for you.

> And I promise that when the Bald
> rise up against you, all your tresses will not protect you against the crack
> of Pure Skin stretched over Naked Skull

Do you have a girlfriend, Jim?

M.H.Benders

George Tolis

Dec 4, 2001, 3:51:33 PM12/4/01

Bindi <Bin...@bigpond.com> wrote in message

The noise is quite irritating, but I think I need a new pair anyway. My
toes are pretty SQNHShed.

G.

Mike Billard

Dec 4, 2001, 4:55:53 PM12/4/01
"Joy Yourcenar" <pene...@evolvingbeauty.com> wrote in message

> Remember when this was the kinder, gentler alternative to RAP. Hee.
>
> Joy

Yeah, that was a terrific weekend, wasn't it!

Bindi

Dec 4, 2001, 5:00:04 PM12/4/01
"George Tolis" <catal...@junkresponseukonline.co.uk> wrote in message
they're in a jam then.

Bindi
Minister for
Toe Freedom and
Foot Rights.

Jim Sheard

Dec 4, 2001, 1:04:07 PM12/4/01
Martijn Benders said on 04 Dec 2001, 17:02:44:

> Jim Sheard wrote:
>
> I have a long and detailed e-mail
> > > in my mailbox in which Sheard goes on and on about my hair, and he keeps
> > > sending me odd hotel poems to publish on my website.
> >
> > What could I do? The Poetburo was torn by internal dissent on the issue.
> > I have come to realise that - despite that campaign of misinformation in
> > which you pretend to argue Comb Ideology with Billardvich - that you and
> > he have formed a Hair Faction which is spreading counter-revolutionary
> > nonsense about the freedom to express oneself through Decadent Styling.
>
> That's bollocks, Sheard. You just try to ruin a perfectly good
> hairmoment by presenting these kind of wild accusations.

Accusations that will see you in front of a People's Tribunal, my friend
- once we root out the seeping corruption which has led to all available
Kommissars playing with outlawed wigs and hairpieces.

<snip>

> > You are fomenting Civil War, Benders.
>
> Against _what_? I'm not an american, so I'm not eager to proclaim war on
> non-existing entities. The absence of hair or even style does preclude
> any option on redemption or even good old suffering. There is no such
> thing as a 'bald martyr' in history, Sheard, and I very much doubt if
> history is going to change it's course just for you.

You have clearly forgotten saying to me - shortly after the Rising which
settled the Onion Question - that "History is written by the Hairy". I contend
that every martyr-artist of note has, in fact, been bald - whether by nature
or design - but this fact has been written out of our books by that foetid
cabal of plughole cloggers know as Historians.

> > And I promise that when the Bald
> > rise up against you, all your tresses will not protect you against the crack
> > of Pure Skin stretched over Naked Skull
>
> Do you have a girlfriend, Jim?

Of course. She practises the Tantric Head Sitting Manoeuvres as prescribed
by the 4th Committee, and, as a result of complete satisfaction thus obtained,
has foresworn all future contact with the behaired.

Jim.

Bindi

Dec 4, 2001, 5:52:14 PM12/4/01
It took you guys long enough to get back to this!

--
Bindi.
who can't help giggling and loves this!

"Jim Sheard" <j...@jsheard.co.uk> wrote in message

George Tolis

Dec 4, 2001, 7:07:54 PM12/4/01
Bindi <Bin...@bigpond.com> wrote in message

Well, Socialism is getting sore. It's definitely turning red. Poor
leftie.

G.

Zinc

Dec 4, 2001, 9:16:44 PM12/4/01

> Zinc wrote:
>

> > > That's not very effective. Better to focus at the disaster at hand.
> > > One person likes God, another masturbation. You don't hear people going
> > > on and on about how much they appreciate wanking off after a disaster
> > > happened. Now why is that?
> >
> > Culture. But would the news stories of our sexual frenzy in the aftermath be
> > close enough? Some people do go on and on about Christians, however. Similar
> > effect.
>
> Well, if we go around that particular peg: you're going on and on about
> christians as well. You've discussed them in about every post you did
> recently.

Bah. With the exception of this exchange and one response to Dennis' post where
he mentioned Leviticus, I haven't mentioned the subject, let alone gone on and
on about it. Is this just the simple gainsaying it appears to be, or laziness?
Paranoia? Anyway, the premise is false.

Martijn Benders

Dec 4, 2001, 9:55:03 PM12/4/01

Zinc wrote:

> > Well, if we go around that particular peg: you're going on and on about
> > christians as well. You've discussed them in about every post you did
> > recently.
>
> Bah. With the exception of this exchange and one response to Dennis' post where
> he mentioned Leviticus, I haven't mentioned the subject, let alone gone on and
> on about it.

There you go, mentioning the subject again. You seem to be really
obsessed by this particular subject. In fact, you seem to be so obsessed
with it that whatever subject you bring up I'll just keep reminding you
of the fact that you can't seem to stop talking about this particular
subject. Sounds fair, or what?

It's exactly the technique _you_ use.

Is this just the simple gainsaying it appears to be, or laziness?
> Paranoia? Anyway, the premise is false.

If you wouldn't mention christians in every post you make you'd have the
time to actually try to master the first steps of logic.

God, arguing is easy when your only interest is propaganda. That must be
the reason the bible is so thick.

Chuck Lysaght

Dec 5, 2001, 1:07:47 AM12/5/01
Martijn, you're a dweeb.

Zinc

Dec 5, 2001, 2:14:28 PM12/5/01

> Zinc wrote:
>

> God, arguing is easy when your only interest is propaganda.

Aye. Or when you're clueless. And /you/ said the G word.

Paula

Dec 6, 2001, 4:49:12 PM12/6/01
Thank you all very much for your kind comments about my poem. If I
have bought you all a little closer at this difficult time then I know
my work has served its purpose,

kindest regards

Paula

We Are All His Children

Tiniap

Dec 6, 2001, 8:54:21 PM12/6/01
On 6 Dec 2001 13:49:12 -0800, phan...@yesbox.net (Paula) wrote:

>Thank you all very much for your kind comments about my poem. If I
>have bought you all a little closer at this difficult time then I know
>my work has served its purpose,

yes yes. you probably have done just that. As a group we think you are
probably as dumb as chuck.

Andrew

George Tolis

Dec 6, 2001, 9:39:10 PM12/6/01

Paula <phan...@yesbox.net> wrote in message
> Thank you all very much for your kind comments about my poem. If I
> have bought you all a little closer at this difficult time then I know
> my work has served its purpose,

Welcome, Paula. I'm much Closer to God right now, as Trent Reznor would
put it.

> kindest regards
>
> Paula
>

> We Are All His Children

I'm officially an adult. That's what it says on my fake ID.

I hope the leaves are nice where you are.

G.

Chuck Lysaght

Dec 7, 2001, 12:15:05 AM12/7/01
Fuck you Andrew.