Slaw Dogs

st...@ids.net

Feb 15, 1995, 1:45:47 PM2/15/95
I moved to Florida about 11 years ago, and everytime I get hot dogs with
friends they think I'm crazy for getting slaw on it.

I never thought twice about it before I came here, but now I'm wondering it
this is (1) an Appalachian thing or (2) a West Virginia thing?

BTW: I'm leaving the great state of Florida and returning to Appalachia (even
though it is North Carolina rather than my home state of West Virginia, I'll
take it. NC is terrific!).

Bonnie Nestor

Feb 16, 1995, 9:06:35 AM2/16/95
In article <3hul9u$3...@paperboy.ids.net>, st...@ids.net wrote:

> I moved to Florida about 11 years ago, and everytime I get hot dogs with
> friends they think I'm crazy for getting slaw on it.
>
> I never thought twice about it before I came here, but now I'm wondering it
> this is (1) an Appalachian thing or (2) a West Virginia thing?

It's not just West Virginia, because we do it in East Tennessee, too. How
about slaw on hamburgers -- as in the Kentucky Headhunters song about
"slawburger, fries, and a bottle of Ski"?

Meredith Morris-Babb

Feb 16, 1995, 12:06:19 PM2/16/95
In Article <3hul9u$3...@paperboy.ids.net>, st...@ids.net wrote:
>I moved to Florida about 11 years ago, and everytime I get hot dogs with
>friends they think I'm crazy for getting slaw on it.
>
>I never thought twice about it before I came here, but now I'm wondering it
>this is (1) an Appalachian thing or (2) a West Virginia thing?

Neither, I think it is a Southern "thang", and we all know Florida is not
part of the South. I used to eat them in Greensboro, NC and at Myrtle
Beach, SC.

But I got the same strange wlooks in Madison, Wisconsin!

mobabbb

Christopher Phillips

Feb 17, 1995, 11:43:42 AM2/17/95
In article <mnj-160295...@mnj1.cmo.ornl.gov>,

Bonnie Nestor <m...@ornl.gov> wrote:
>It's not just West Virginia, because we do it in East Tennessee, too.

This is ironic in that I first discovered that people existed who
didn't put slaw on their hot dogs in 1982. At the World's Fair.
In Knoxville. In East Tennessee.

Chris

John D. Jennings

Feb 22, 1995, 7:42:02 AM2/22/95
In my 18 years in North Carolina and Southwest Virginia, I became an
afficionado of the "combination" dog ã chili, slaw, mustard, and onions ã
a very Southern food item, but in my Ohio home (containing a thin slice of
Appalachia in the south), I was aware of the dog with slaw. It was
sometimes referred to as a "Coney Island," a very Northern appelation.

--
John D. Jennings <jdan...@leland.stanford.edu>
Stanford University School of Education

Lou Ann Myers-Temkin

Feb 22, 1995, 10:00:42 AM2/22/95
In article <3icohf$j...@balsam.unca.edu>, WIL...@UNCAVX.unca.edu (Ken
Wilson) says:

>In <3hul9u$3...@paperboy.ids.net> st...@ids.net writes:
>> I moved to Florida about 11 years ago, and everytime I get hot dogs
with friends they think I'm crazy for getting slaw on it.
>> <snip>
>
>Went to Chicago and asked for a hotdog with slaw, and after about 5
minutes of trying to explain what I meant, I settled for one with
tomatoes and cheese. <snip>

You're lucky...the first time I had a hot dog here in Chicago, they put
sour kraut, pickles, *hot peppers*, and tomatoes! They like to load
those hot dogs down with all kinds of stuff. I'm from southern Indiana
and never had more than mustard, ketchup & relish on a hot dog! (We
called chili dogs "coney dogs".)

Meadows

Feb 23, 1995, 7:04:23 PM2/23/95
Boys, if you want to taste the best slaw dogs this side of the Mason-Dixie,
try Stewart's Drive-In, at 24th St. and 5th Ave. in Huntington, WV. So good,
they'll make your tongue slap your brains out!

Mark Meadows
Huntington, WV

Cathy Davis

Feb 23, 1995, 10:16:13 PM2/23/95
Mark,

We've talked about Stewarts the past few months on this
newsgroup. You are lucky as you can just driiiiive over and get
you a dog. There are a lot of homesick West Virginians who are
craving for a Stewarts dog. Even a Wiggins Bar-b-que (rip).

--
Cathy

Tracy Meadows

Feb 23, 1995, 10:24:49 PM2/23/95
If you think about it. Its easy to understand why there are no national
hot dog fast food restraunts like there are hamberger places. They
couldn't very well launch a national advertising campaign showing someone
eating a hot dog with "everything". They would have to do regional
advertising at best. Here in Charleston,WV there use to be a fast food
hot dog place called Big Petes that specialized in hot dogs. The owner,
Pete Lopez who use to own Lopez' Bar & Grill that was quite famous for
its pizza, tried to franchize the chain. He opened one in Myrtle Beach,SC
but it did'nt work out. He is out of business now.

David Sinclair

Feb 26, 1995, 4:25:46 AM2/26/95
In article <3ijji1$3k...@usenetp1.news.prodigy.com> FGB...@prodigy.com (Tracy Meadows) writes:
>From: FGB...@prodigy.com (Tracy Meadows)
>Subject: Re: Slaw Dogs
>Date: 24 Feb 1995 03:24:49 GMT

>If you think about it. Its easy to understand why there are no national
>hot dog fast food restraunts like there are hamberger places. They
>couldn't very well launch a national advertising campaign showing someone
>eating a hot dog with "everything".

I think there may be another reason, which fits nicely with the slaw hot dogs.
The national chains for hamburgers did not really get going until the Big Boy
was invented. Traditionally, at least in our neck of the woods, hamburgers
were served with mustard and catsup, pickles, onions, but not with mayo and
lettuce. The Big Boy introduced a new and more popular taste, which then was
appropriated by McDonalds as the Big Mac, after which McDonalds became
popular. (BTW, this is just my recollection from earlier days in the Ohio,
W.Va. Pa. area -- not at all sure it's right).

So maybe what is needed for the national hotdog chain is a tastier hot dog.
And as we Appalachians know, that's one with slaw.

R. Taylor

Feb 27, 1995, 8:45:58 PM2/27/95
In article <3ijj1t$oqp$1...@mhadf.production.compuserve.com>,
70007...@CompuServe.COM says...

I was recently in Huntington for a visit and found that an Italian
restaraunt just west of Pea Ridge on Rt.60 has purchased the recipies
from the Wiggins family for many of their dishes. I am going back in
March and will report the name of the establishment and the extent of the
Wiggins portion of the menu for those of you that might be heading back
there for a visit.

Rick Taylor
sg...@earthlink.net

CMRodgers

Feb 27, 1995, 9:57:05 PM2/27/95
I love hot dogs with slaw. I used to work at Weiner King in Asheville
when I was in high school. Not many people came in to eat that did not
get at least slaw or chili on their dog. Our biggest seller was the
Weiner King Special. It came with slaw, chili, cheese, mustard, and
onions.

The Weiner King changed its name to Weiner Works and later left town. The
old building on Tunnel Road was torm down and a Taco Bell was erected in
its place.

Last I heard the owner, Bill Jarvis, has a Weiner Works in Kings Mountain,
NC. Stop in after some softball and have a slaw dog with Bill someday.

Charles Rodgers

Tracy Meadows

Mar 3, 1995, 12:36:06 AM3/3/95
Now Tracy, next time you come up here and visit, I will try to remember
>to show you the Rally's tv advertisements and take you over to see the
>stores. Ralleys is a national chain as far as I can tell which
features
>fast hot burgers and hot dogs. The dogs are generally chili dogs
rather
>than with slaw, but perhaps that is an option as well and not just
>shown.

There is a Rally's here in Charleston,WV now and also a Checkers in Nitro
that is supposed to be about the same thing but I did not realize they
served hot dogs Even though I have driven through 4 or 5 times. I guess I
was'nt looking for it. Even so, there is something inherently "wrong"
with a national hot dog chain. People naturally want their hot dog place
to be "one of a kind". Chris' Hot Dogs on Charlestons west side had a
reputation for serving the best hot dogs east of the Mississippi and as a
Charlstonian I feel a certain amount of pride in that. Although I will
have to admit, I have never been there.

Talk to you later,
Tracy Meadows
fgb...@prodigy.com

Paul Lambert

Mar 4, 1995, 7:50:46 AM3/4/95
Tracy:

As a West Virginian (Charleston also) transplanted to Ohio, I've
always gotten a kick out of folks up here who think slaw on a
hotdog is weird. I went into a bar by my place which had hot dog
specials on Wednesday, and asked for two hot dogs with chili and
slaw. The server said "What do you want on the dogs?", and I said
"Chili and Slaw!" After a couple more exchanges, she finally
said, "Okay, so what you want are coney's with slaw ON THEM?"....

My favorite hot dog place in Chas was on W Washington at the
corner of Penn Ave, across from the Fountain Hobby Shop. I want
to say the name was Chris'.

Paul Lambert
Columbus OH

Paul Lambert

Mar 4, 1995, 7:52:12 AM3/4/95
Tracy: Oh, and Rally's is a chain headquartered here in
Columbus. It's a private firm owned by a couple of brothers. Most
of their places are in OH and the states surrounding, but they
also have some stores in Florida.

Paul