AOL Users: Why AOL Sucks

Jani Pearce

Oct 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/19/96

Here in alt.aol-sucks, we tend to slam AOL mercilessly. Some of us also
tend to denigrate AOL's customers. I personally try not to do this,
because I remember why *I* started out on AOL. Simply, it was pre-
installed software on my second computer. I thought, "why not"?

That was almost two years ago, and since then I've discovered that, yes,
AOL does suck. But I'm certain there are still AOL users out there who
aren't yet aware of this fact, and who could be much happier on an ISP.
So, FYI, these are the three basic reason why I think 'AOL is sucks':

# 1 - AOL is comparatively expensive:

AOL users who are online more than the basic five hours per month are
really paying through the nose. If you used AOL just 30 hours last
month (an hour per day), you paid $83.70, whereas most ISPs are only
$20/month, *unlimited*. Go up to two hours per day, and you're talking
about _$172.20_! Now, you could use the $20/20 plan, which would cut
you back to around $1.00 per hour. But since the rest of us are paying
*three cents* per hour, you're still getting screwed.

BTW, if you're telling yourself "but I only use AOL for e-mail. At $9.95
per month, it's cheaper than anything else"; think again. There's a free
mailbox service available called Juno. To get more information this
service, try their web site at http://www.juno.com/. Free beats $9.95
anyday, in my book.

#2 - AOL has poor connections:

AOL's habit of dropping or freezing connections is well known. There is
also their incompatibility with the common Rockwell chip set. (See
http://www.halcyon.com/pearce/why.htm for details.) Yet you *pay* for
these problems, by being having to redial or even being unable to
disconnect your system from theirs.

#3 - AOL's content is nearly *identical* to that of the Internet, but
at a higher price:

I've found very little on AOL that I couldn't get from the Net. In the
18 months that I've been off of AOL, I've yet to regret it. For those of
you who think "I'll miss the chat rooms", check out IRC (no guides!).
With Usenet's newsgroups, you can discuss topics with people all over
the world, not a few million on AOL. And wouldn't it be nice if your
e-mail got to it's destination in a few seconds, not hours?

Anyway, AOL users, decide what you will about leaving the service. But
at least after reading this, you can't say you weren't warned...

--
"Why & How to Leave AOL": http://www.halcyon.com/pearce/why.htm
"Hints & Tips for NewUsers": http://www.halcyon.com/pearce/newuser.htm

Lets1rock

Oct 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/22/96

In article <54bolr$j8o...@lcy-pm0-ip13.halcyon.com>, pea...@halcyon.com
(Jani Pearce) writes:

>Here in alt.aol-sucks, we tend to slam AOL mercilessly.

[ rest of post omitted in the interests of bandwidth ]

Another excellent post. Thank you. I will admit, some of you
people have really surprised me.

Let's Rock!

Lets1rock

Oct 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/22/96

In article <1996102004...@ip82-max1-lowell.zipnet.net>,
hor...@see.my.signature (The Living Document) writes:

>Not infrequently, we get people wandering into
>alt.aol-sucks and asking what the fuss is all about.
>Why would people bother posting here day after day
that AOL sucks? Don't we get bored with it?

[ rest of post omitted in the interests of bandwidth ]

Thank you for creating such an excellent post. There
are a couple of things that I would like to comment on, but
I choose not to because I would rather not tarnish such a
fine post with petty nit-picking.

I knew that there were some intelligent people here.

Let's Rock!

Mimi Kahn

Oct 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/22/96

Go rock somewhere else. The last thing we need here is a
self-appointed critic posting from AOL.

Mimi

Charter Member, Troll Patrol,
Too Much Noise and Not Enough Signal Division

FUSION

Oct 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/22/96
to Jani Pearce

Yeah but once you think about it you have to give AOL *SOME* credit,
they are able to con all the incompetant computer "newbies" into loading
up their little AOL connect program and impress them by making their
computers say "You have mail!". Point is, if they can make more money
one way then doing it another way more power to them. We have to let
the public know how much of a rip-off AOL is and how many other
alternatives there are, but most of the people out there think AOL is
god because that's all you see on the TV is their stupid ass commericals
and their disks that they send you in the mail 3 times a month offering
FREE (?) access. And to anyone that doesn't know jack shit about
modeming it's a good deal. Until they get the bill a few months later.
Live and learn.

Lindell B. Jones, Jr

Oct 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/22/96

On Tue, 22 Oct 1996 21:20:15 GMT, njk...@hooked.net (Mimi Kahn) wrote:

>On 22 Oct 1996 04:48:08 -0400, lets...@aol.com (Lets1rock) wrote:
>
>>In article <54bolr$j8o...@lcy-pm0-ip13.halcyon.com>, pea...@halcyon.com
>>(Jani Pearce) writes:
>>

>>>Here in alt.aol-sucks, we tend to slam AOL mercilessly.
>>

>>[ rest of post omitted in the interests of bandwidth ]
>>
>>In article <1996102004...@ip82-max1-lowell.zipnet.net>,
>>hor...@see.my.signature (The Living Document) writes:
>>
>>>Not infrequently, we get people wandering into
>>>alt.aol-sucks and asking what the fuss is all about.
>>>Why would people bother posting here day after day
>>that AOL sucks? Don't we get bored with it?
>>
>>[ rest of post omitted in the interests of bandwidth ]
>>
>>Thank you for creating such an excellent post. There
>>are a couple of things that I would like to comment on, but
>>I choose not to because I would rather not tarnish such a
>>fine post with petty nit-picking.
>>
>>I knew that there were some intelligent people here.
>>
>>Let's Rock!
>
>Go rock somewhere else. The last thing we need here is a
>self-appointed critic posting from AOL.

I imagine hor...@ziplink.net or Jani Pearce, whichever one this compliment was
directed at, probably gagged when they saw it. I know I'd gag at a compliment
from such a complete loser. Of course, if AOL's piss poor excuse for software
would let you quote properly, we might know who the compliment was intended for.

See, "lets1rock", pea...@halcyon.com, hor...@ziplink.net, and njk...@hooked.net
are intelligent and respected posters to alt.aol-sucks. You, OTOH, are a loser
who, prior to this, has posted nothing but "you all suck" messages. Therefore,
none of the three previously mentioned people are in my killfile. You are, but I
still get the pleasure of flaming you in followups. Now, take Mimi's advice and
go rock somewhere else.

----
====Lindell B. Jones, Jr.==============================================
(Anything in Latin sounds profound.)
====================================================lind...@mo.net====

Frizz

Oct 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/23/96

On 22 Oct 1996 04:48:08 -0400, in alt.aol-sucks, lets...@aol.com
(Lets1rock) wrote:

>Thank you for creating such an excellent post. There
>are a couple of things that I would like to comment on, but
>I choose not to because I would rather not tarnish such a
>fine post with petty nit-picking.
>
>I knew that there were some intelligent people here.
>
>Let's Rock!

Post this a few more times, ok? That way you can get the BI over 20
and get your article 'bot-cancelled.

--
=FRIZZ= Member alt.aol-sucks Troll Patrol(tm), Goon Squad Division
Finger for PGP 2.6.2 Public Key. Unsolicited *commercial* email is

Mike Rosenborg

Oct 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/23/96

On 22 Oct 1996 04:48:08 -0400, Lets1rock (lets...@aol.com
(Lets1rock)) wrote (in <54i1o8$9...@newsbf02.news.aol.com>):

>I knew that there were some intelligent people here.

>Let's Rock!

Anyone who still uses AOL after being enlightened by the fine posts in
a.a-s is in no position to be a judge of intelligence.

Mike Rosenborg

steven jones

Oct 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/23/96

Mimi Kahn wrote:

> On 22 Oct 1996 04:48:08 -0400, lets...@aol.com (Lets1rock) wrote:
>
> >In article <54bolr$j8o...@lcy-pm0-ip13.halcyon.com>, pea...@halcyon.com
> >(Jani Pearce) writes:
> >

> >>Here in alt.aol-sucks, we tend to slam AOL mercilessly.
> >
> >[ rest of post omitted in the interests of bandwidth ]
> >
> >In article <1996102004...@ip82-max1-lowell.zipnet.net>,
> >hor...@see.my.signature (The Living Document) writes:
> >
> >>Not infrequently, we get people wandering into
> >>alt.aol-sucks and asking what the fuss is all about.
> >>Why would people bother posting here day after day
> >that AOL sucks? Don't we get bored with it?
> >
> >[ rest of post omitted in the interests of bandwidth ]
> >
> >Thank you for creating such an excellent post. There
> >are a couple of things that I would like to comment on, but
> >I choose not to because I would rather not tarnish such a
> >fine post with petty nit-picking.
> >
> >I knew that there were some intelligent people here.
> >
> >Let's Rock!
>
> Go rock somewhere else. The last thing we need here is a
> self-appointed critic posting from AOL.
>
> Mimi
>
> Charter Member, Troll Patrol,
> Too Much Noise and Not Enough Signal Division
AOL is the same as a cb radio,too much noise
and nothing being said.

Daishan

Oct 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/28/96

On Tue, 22 Oct 1996 18:11:30 -0400, FUSION <ac...@a2z.net> wrote:

>Yeah but once you think about it you have to give AOL *SOME* credit,
>they are able to con all the incompetant computer "newbies" into loading
>up their little AOL connect program and impress them by making their
>computers say "You have mail!".

Credit? Hell NO! Conning the new users out there is NOT something
deserving of credit. Would you give somebody credit for ripping you
off? How about for taking candy from a baby?

AOL does JUST that.

> Point is, if they can make more money
>one way then doing it another way more power to them.

I could make ALOT of money as a burglar or a con man, but it's wrong.
No power to AOL. No way. Big business' ethics have infested the
world's ideals for way too long. I may never get to the top like AOL
but I can sleep at night.

>We have to let
>the public know how much of a rip-off AOL is and how many other
>alternatives there are, but most of the people out there think AOL is
>god because that's all you see on the TV is their stupid ass commericals
>and their disks that they send you in the mail 3 times a month offering
>FREE (?) access. And to anyone that doesn't know jack shit about
>modeming it's a good deal. Until they get the bill a few months later.
>Live and learn.

J. D'Alessio
dai...@ofex.net

If AOL were just a dress on a dog, it might
be accurate after all - If the dog was ugly,
mangy, flea ridden, and incredibly expensive.