Lessons from my pig Winnie

pearl

Mar 23, 2005, 3:46:04 PM3/23/05
Lessons from my pig Winnie
By Sondra S. Crosby | March 19, 2005

WHERE DO respect and dignity for life begin and end? This question
was raised during a family vacation at the Farm Sanctuary in Watkins
Glen, N.Y. For the last four years, we have been sponsoring a pig that
narrowly escaped someone's outdoor barbecue. She jumped the fence
and ran the streets of New York until she was captured. She was
frightened, injured, and starving and taken to the safe haven at the
Farm Sanctuary. She was given the name ''Winnie."

I am a physician, and have made a commitment to reducing suffering.
How then can I stand by and watch the unnecessary suffering of many
farm animals destined for human consumption? Where does one draw
the line at what practices are acceptable? How does one define a
sentient being? Our visit to the Farm Sanctuary and spending time with
Winnie helped my family and me put these questions in perspective.

The human impact of factory farming should alarm us all. Human Rights
Watch recently reported that meatpacking is the most dangerous factory
job in America. Workers are injured at extraordinary high rates and often
denied compensation. Immigrant workers are frequently exploited to work
under such horrific conditions, and employers take advantage of their
undocumented status and fear of deportation to keep them quiet. At a
minimum, federal and state laws need to enforce protection of all
workers in this industry, without regard to immigration status.

Factory farming hurts our environment. Natural resources are depleted
when wetlands, forests, and wildlife habitats are decimated to grow the
grain necessary for factory farms. Agricultural runoff and the vast amount
of manure produced by large numbers of animals confined in small areas
are not only detrimental to our water supply but toxic to fish and other
aquatic life. Shouldn't we be utilizing our natural resources more efficiently
to produce food?

There is evidence that a plant-based diet is more healthful than an
animal-based diet, which has been linked to heart disease, diabetes, and
certain cancers. The factory farming industry also uses drugs, hormones,
and other chemicals to enhance animal ''production," a practice that
potentially causes detrimental health effects in humans. But I want to tell
the stories of the animals.

I learned about ''downed animals" at the Farm Sanctuary. ''Downed animals"
is the term given to those animals in stockyards that become too sick and
weak to walk. Once they fall down, they are often denied food and water.
Although they may still be alive, they are often treated as though they were
dead. They are moved with forklifts or tractors that can break bones.
Sometimes they are thrown away. Downed animals experience unimaginable
suffering because there are no adequate laws protecting them.

I also learned about the painful procedures pigs are subjected to by
the industry -- for example, having their tails cut off without anesthesia,
and being overcrowded in small pens with concrete floors. Pigs remain
in these conditions until slaughter at about 6 months of age. The air is
noxious and even workers suffer respiratory diseases. Diseases such
as salmonellosis are rampant. Breeding sows are confined in small pens
and live a constant cycle of impregnation and birth, and they are often
denied straw bedding. They suffer their whole life, then are sent to
slaughter when they are not productive breeders. Hogs are hung upside
down, their throats are cut, and they bleed to death. They are supposed
to be ''stunned" first; however this practice is imprecise. If stabbing is
unsuccessful, the pig will be dropped in scalding water to be boiled alive.

Billions of chickens are crammed into cages so small they can't move.
We saw examples of these cages at the farm. Food birds (chickens and
turkeys) have been genetically altered to grow beyond their biological
limits. The heart and lungs are not well developed enough to support
the remainder of the body, so some die of congestive heart failure, in
addition to the many that suffer crippling leg disorders during life
because their legs won't support their genetically altered weight.

In the slaughterhouse, fully conscious birds are hung upside down by
metal shackles on a moving rail. The birds' heads are submerged in an
electrified bath of water. This is supposed to render them unconscious.
However, often the electricity is lower than required because of
concerns that too much electricity will damage the carcass. Many birds
are immobilized, but still capable of feeling pain. Their throats are then
slashed on the assembly line. The next stop is the scalding tank.
Commonly, birds are dunked alive. This results in the birds flopping,
kicking, and screaming, their eyeballs popping out of their heads. They
emerge with broken bones and are disfigured.

It is easier not to consider how the flesh has arrived at your plate, and,
surely this is what the farming industry prefers.

What are the alternatives? Meat would be more expensive and less
accessible if factory farming were abolished. Land used inefficiently to
grow grain for the agriculture business could be used to grow human
food. I can't think of any good reason to eat meat, but those who do
should insist on strict enforcement of humane conditions for the animals
and workers in the industry.

I applaud the small gains made in the legislative arena regarding gestation
crates, veal crates, downed animals, and foie gras, and hope this reflects
an increasing concern for farm animal welfare.

Dr. Albert Schweitzer wrote, ''Until he extends the circle of compassion
to all living things, man will not himself find peace." Humankind has a
long journey toward this goal.

Sondra S. Crosby is an internist with the Boston Center for Refugee
Health and Human Rights at Boston Medical Center.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2005/03/19/lessons_from_my_pig_winnie?mode=PF

Abner Hale

Mar 23, 2005, 4:05:07 PM3/23/05

pearl wrote:
> Lessons from my pig Winnie
> <hyserical shite>

Just once, I'd like to see "pearl" post something other than
hysterical, hyperemotional bullshit, looney conspiracy theories,
drug-induced hallucinations or pseudo-scientific ravings.

Message has been deleted

Abner Hale

Mar 23, 2005, 5:07:19 PM3/23/05

Bawl wrote:
> She does post interesting information consistently.

She posts nothing but shit, constantly. She has NEVER ONCE posted
anything valid. Never.

> It's just that your brain translates ~everything~ into
> pseudo-scientific ravings, no matter the source.
> .
> Should have that checked out or get your meds upped.

Well, I think you should go fuck yourself. But that's just me.

Ray

Mar 23, 2005, 5:28:34 PM3/23/05

"Abner Hale" <signe...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

<snip>

You cretin

Ray

Mar 23, 2005, 5:30:46 PM3/23/05

"Bawl" <bunghol...@lycos.com> wrote in message

> She does post interesting information consistently.
> It's just that your brain translates ~everything~ into
> pseudo-scientific ravings, no matter the source.
> .
> Should have that checked out or get your meds upped.

You should have your bollocks upped. I assume they did drop in puberty:-)

Ray

Mar 23, 2005, 5:32:37 PM3/23/05

"Abner Hale" <signe...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Exactly, that's just you - not much eh!

Abner Hale

Mar 23, 2005, 7:41:29 PM3/23/05

Fuck off, Ray.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

dh...@nomail.com

Mar 24, 2005, 12:50:06 PM3/24/05
On 23 Mar 2005 13:05:07 -0800, Goober the Gonad bitched:

That's pretty funny coming from you who has great love
for an imaginary "AR" talking pig who sang Swing Low
and flew off to hog heaven. Gonad.

Rudy Canoza

Mar 24, 2005, 2:52:00 PM3/24/05
GooberFuckwit David Harrison, THE lying no-value southern
goober/cracker, lied:

> On 23 Mar 2005 13:05:07 -0800, Abner Hale wrote:
>

> >pearl wrote:
> >> Lessons from my pig Winnie
> >> <hyserical shite>
> >
> >Just once, I'd like to see "pearl" post something other than
> >hysterical, hyperemotional bullshit, looney conspiracy theories,
> >drug-induced hallucinations or pseudo-scientific ravings.
>
> That's pretty funny coming from you who has great love
> for an imaginary "AR" talking pig

There's no talking pig. There's no fantasy.

You're mixing up Abner Hale with someone else.

You are an idiot, GooberFuckwit.

Abner Hale

Mar 24, 2005, 4:26:44 PM3/24/05

Hey, Fuckwit, Ray thinks I'm Dreck Nash. You think I'm Jon Ball. I
think you're both idiots. So far, I'm the only one who's right.

Dicky Johnson

Mar 24, 2005, 6:14:44 PM3/24/05

> Hey, Fuckwit, Ray thinks I'm Dreck Nash. You think I'm Jon Ball. I
> think you're both idiots. So far, I'm the only one who's right.

I KNOW you are that fat turd Ward M Clark.

Admit it fatty!

You won't; will you FATTY!

Wonko The Sane

Mar 25, 2005, 12:18:01 AM3/25/05

"pearl" <t...@signguestbook.ie> wrote in message

> Lessons from my pig Winnie
> By Sondra S. Crosby | March 19, 2005
>
> WHERE DO respect and dignity for life begin and end? This question
> was raised during a family vacation at the Farm Sanctuary in Watkins
> Glen, N.Y. For the last four years, we have been sponsoring a pig that
> narrowly escaped someone's outdoor barbecue. She jumped the fence
> and ran the streets of New York until she was captured. She was
> frightened, injured, and starving and taken to the safe haven at the
> Farm Sanctuary. She was given the name ''Winnie."

This pig should be nicely fattened up after all that pampering.
Soon we will have this pig from your Farm Sanctuary.
The barbecue pit is being dug at this very minute.
Whole roasted porker on a spit... yes..... I can taste it already.

Abner Hale

Mar 25, 2005, 11:03:24 AM3/25/05

Fuck off, GregGeorge.

Mar 25, 2005, 11:07:41 AM3/25/05
Abner Hale wrote:

You nailed him, the stupid little dirty wog tosser.

Rudy Canoza

Mar 25, 2005, 11:08:39 AM3/25/05
do-nothing dole-scrounging shit-licking wog GregGeorge
mewled:

Fuck off, GregGeorge.

Dicky Johnson

Mar 25, 2005, 2:40:10 PM3/25/05

"Abner Hale" <signe...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Admit you are that fat turd Ward M Clark, FATTY. -> You won't FATTY.

Deny it FATTY. -> You can't FATTY.

I *KNOW* you are FATTY Ward.

It's such a laugh watching you squirm FATTY Ward.

No doubt you'll respond with that FATTY retort "Fuck off, *enter choice of
ARA*."

Let see what the "Senior Copywriter" can come up with!

Abner Hale

Mar 25, 2005, 2:53:01 PM3/25/05

You don't know anything, GregGeorge. None of you have been right yet.

Dicky Johnson

Mar 25, 2005, 3:08:24 PM3/25/05

"Abner Hale" <signe...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Now why would you post as Ward M. "FATTY" Clark from:

and

When posting as Abner "FATTY" Hale? c-24-8-44-105.client.comcast.net

Rudy Canoza

Mar 25, 2005, 3:56:13 PM3/25/05
GregGeorge the stinking dirty wog wrote:
> "Abner Hale" <signe...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>

> Admit

Fuck off, GregGeorge, you filthy little shit-stained wog.

Rudy Canoza

Mar 25, 2005, 3:57:23 PM3/25/05
GregGeorge the stinky lice-infested wog burbled:

> "Abner Hale" <signe...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Dicky Johnson wrote:
>>
>>>"Abner Hale" <signe...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Fuck off, GregGeorge.

Abner Hale

Mar 25, 2005, 4:01:39 PM3/25/05

Dicky Johnson wrote:
> "Abner Hale" <signe...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Dicky Johnson wrote:
> > > "Abner Hale" <signe...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > >

> > > Admit you are that fat turd Ward M Clark, FATTY. -> You won't
FATTY.

> > > Deny it FATTY. -> You can't FATTY.
> > >
> > > I *KNOW* you are FATTY Ward.
> > >
> > > It's such a laugh watching you squirm FATTY Ward.
> > >
> > > No doubt you'll respond with that FATTY retort "Fuck off, *enter
> > choice of
> > > ARA*."
> > >
> > > Let see what the "Senior Copywriter" can come up with!
> >
> > You don't know anything, GregGeorge. None of you have been right
yet.

> Now why would you post as Ward M. "FATTY" Clark from:

> and

> When posting as Abner "FATTY" Hale? c-24-8-44-105.client.comcast.net

That doesn't mean anything, stupid smelly wog GregGeorge, except that
you know dick about how the internet - and remailers - work.

You stupid illiterate wog.

Dicky Johnson

Mar 26, 2005, 4:54:23 AM3/26/05

"Abner Hale" <signe...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I KNOW it's you FATTY Ward.

Same IP address (not a remailer). Same FATTY style. Same FATTY kowtowing and
copying ball bag, etc.

You're a FAT useless prick.

SQUIRM some more FATTY!

"Author, traveller and BUM" LOL, what a dick!

Rudy Canoza

Mar 26, 2005, 12:57:12 PM3/26/05
Smelly dirty wog GregGeorge mewled:

> "Abner Hale" <signe...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Dicky Johnson wrote:

>>>When posting as Abner "FATTY" Hale? c-24-8-44-105.client.comcast.net
>>
>>That doesn't mean anything, stupid smelly wog GregGeorge, except that
>>you know dick about how the internet - and remailers - work.
>>
>>You stupid illiterate wog.
>

> I KNOW it's you FATTY Ward.

FUCK OFF, GregGeorge. Just FUCK OFF back to your dusty
open sewer village and leave the civilized pepole alone.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Dicky Johnson

Mar 26, 2005, 5:15:41 PM3/26/05

"Rudy Canoza" <som...@ph.con> wrote in message

It's "PEOPLE" you illiterate fuck head.

LOL; you're so mad about your mate FATTY Ward being outed that you've become
careless. What a right pair of prize dicks you make!

Dicky Johnson

Mar 26, 2005, 5:17:08 PM3/26/05

"shrubkiller" <shrub...@excite.com> wrote in message
> HAHAHA!! Shit-for-brains Ward is busted!!!

What a laugh, eh!

Dicky Johnson

Mar 26, 2005, 5:18:09 PM3/26/05

<ban...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> and Shit-for-brains ~jonnie~ who couldn't find his ass using both hands
> and a flashlight is trying to stick up for stupid old busted fatty
> Ward.
> LOL!!

~~jonnie~~ and FATTY Ward make a fine pair!

Message has been deleted

pearl

Mar 26, 2005, 5:48:42 PM3/26/05
"Dicky Johnson" <rjoh...@bunerabbert.com> wrote in message news:1111875423.eebb8d7d1e80d5871b63e6a03e87cc8d@teranews...

ROTFL!!!

Rudy Canoza

Mar 26, 2005, 5:48:29 PM3/26/05
Dicky Johnson wrote:

> "Rudy Canoza" <som...@ph.con> wrote in message
>
>>Smelly dirty wog GregGeorge mewled:
>>
>>>"Abner Hale" <signe...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>I KNOW it's you FATTY Ward.
>>
>>FUCK OFF, GregGeorge. Just FUCK OFF back to your dusty

>>open sewer village and leave the civilized people alone.

> It's "PEOPLE" you illiterate fuck head.

FUCK OFF, GregGeorge, you foot-stamping ignorant
IMPOTENT little wog. Fuck off back to your shithole of
a village in Krumblingstan. You little piece of
mongoose shit.

Rudy Canoza

Mar 26, 2005, 5:49:00 PM3/26/05
Dicky Johnson wrote:

FUCK OFF, GregGeorge, you shit-4-braincell wog.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Dicky Johnson

Mar 26, 2005, 6:49:24 PM3/26/05

"Rudy Canoza" <som...@ph.con> wrote in message

I think you're mad, in at least two senses of the word.

I would say this is fun, but you're just too easy. - You dick.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Rudy Canoza

Mar 26, 2005, 7:21:22 PM3/26/05
GregGeorge the illiterate no-dicky smelly wog whined:

Not in any sense, GregGeorge.

> I would say this is fun, but you're just too easy.

You've effectively been chased off, GregGeorge. Now
BEAT it back to Dumpistan.

Ray

Mar 26, 2005, 8:56:30 PM3/26/05

"Dicky Johnson" <rjoh...@bunerabbert.com> wrote in message

ROTFLMAO, taken to the cleaners like a sack full of shitty old washing.

Dicky Johnson

Mar 27, 2005, 5:08:15 AM3/27/05

"Ray" <r...@syntex.com> wrote in message

> "Dicky Johnson" <rjoh...@bunerabbert.com> wrote in message
snip

> > I think you're mad, in at least two senses of the word.
> >
> > I would say this is fun, but you're just too easy. - You dick.
>

> ROTFLMAO, taken to the cleaners like a sack full of shitty old washing.

Imagine a bag full of ~~jonnies~~ Y fronts! - I feel nauseous!

I've enjoyed reading your "bash with nash" posts! Keep it up.

There're few genuine people on these groups, so keep posting!

Ray

Mar 27, 2005, 7:02:34 AM3/27/05

"Dicky Johnson" <rjoh...@bunerabbert.com> wrote in message

Thanks Dicky,

I was thinking of asking him why he had started posting to himself but I
suppose he has to - nobody else will.

Rudy Canoza

Mar 27, 2005, 11:48:47 AM3/27/05
little no-dicky GregGeorge, dirty wog, wrote:
> "Ray" <r...@syntex.com> wrote in message
>
>>"Dicky Johnson" <rjoh...@bunerabbert.com> wrote in message

FUCK OFF, GregGeorge. Fuck off back to your shithole
village in Wogistan.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Abner Hale

Apr 3, 2005, 9:00:45 PM4/3/05

Dicky Johnson wrote:
> "Abner Hale" <signe...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Dicky Johnson wrote:
> > > "Abner Hale" <signe...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > FATTY.

> > yet.
> > >
> > > Now why would you post as Ward M. "FATTY" Clark from:

> > > and

> > > When posting as Abner "FATTY" Hale?
c-24-8-44-105.client.comcast.net

> > That doesn't mean anything, stupid smelly wog GregGeorge, except
that
> > you know dick about how the internet - and remailers - work.
> >
> > You stupid illiterate wog.
>
> I KNOW it's you FATTY Ward.
>
> Same IP address (not a remailer). Same FATTY style. Same FATTY
kowtowing and
> copying ball bag, etc.
>
> You're a FAT useless prick.
>
> SQUIRM some more FATTY!
>
> "Author, traveller and BUM" LOL, what a dick!

I come back from vacation to find smelly wog GregGeorge has lost it
more than ever.

You're a stupid illiterate wog, GregGeorge. Everyone here think's I'm
someone else. Stupid wog GregGeorge dug up someone who hasn't even
posted here in like two years.

Well, it's sure easy to deceive smelly wog GregGeorge by playing with
headers. I wonder now if GG will think whoever he thinks I am has
suddenly pulled up stakes and moved to West Virginia?

Fuck off, GregGeorge, or Ray, or whoever the fuck you are.

Barney

Apr 4, 2005, 10:04:17 AM4/4/05

"Abner Hale" <signe...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

What shocking language you use Mr. Hale. You are a disgrace to usenet.

Abner Hale

Apr 4, 2005, 9:07:14 PM4/4/05

Yeah, I'm a bad boy. Go fuck yourself.

Ray

Apr 5, 2005, 3:15:40 PM4/5/05

"Abner Hale" <signe...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

What's up Knobhead, afraid of another poster from the UK? Get to fuck you
big fat bastard.

Abner Hale

Apr 5, 2005, 9:27:32 PM4/5/05

Fuck off, Ray.