Puka and Kea

Kenneth W. LeVasseur

Jun 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/27/96
Aloha Michael,

Where do you get this information about the demise of Puka and Kea.
First, they were never found dead anywhere and every siting over the year
following their release recieved the absurd statement from Lou Herman that
"The sited dolphins could not possibly be Puka and Kea because they are
dead". It became a joke in the media that "The 'dead dolphins' have been
spotted swimming under the bridge at Hawaii Kai or the 'dead dolphins' have
been sited surfing at Portlock Point." Puka was spotted off of Molokai with
a baby dolphin one year after the release by a girl who worked at the lab.
Around the same time Kea was spotted off of Kauai with a pod of spinners.
Both dolphins left their relationship with humans with a negative interest.
Kea after being chased and cornered at Pray for Sex Beach. (She had been
spotted at first light using a classic single dolphin feeding strategy on a
shoal of school of fish immediately after the release.) She left when they
attempted to tackle her. Puka on the other hand took off like a bat out of
Hell upon release and was not seen until three days later. Both Puka and Kea
were positively identified by the Lab Director at Waimea Bay with a big bull
Pacific Tursiops. The Director was forced to retract the statement when Lou
Herman began to use his absurd quote cited above. The late great Hawaiian
big wave surfer and head lifeguard at Waimea, Eddie Aikau was a witness to
the whole affair and said that there was no way those could not have been
Puka and Kea by the words and actions of the lab director. When told about
Herman's statements he countered that Herman was just playing politics.

I happen to be very proud of the first dolphin release in the United
States considering it was done covertly and with the best scientific
knowledge and program at the time. I am sorry but you like a lot of other
misinformed people are simply wrong in your assumptions. This is most likely
due to media reluctance to publish articles about our positions and getting
those published on the stands. At one point a New Times article was
suppressed by an anonymous person buying all 5000 copies shipped to Hawaii
and having them shipped to a landfill in California. Now that is strong
politics, propaganda and suppression of facts.

I remain willing to answer any questions on this and other dolphin
related subjects.

Aloha,
Ken LeVasseur
Cet...@aol.com
Dolf...@gnn.com

Bruce Lane

Jun 28, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/28/96
dolf...@gnn.com (Kenneth W. LeVasseur) wrote:

>Aloha Michael,
>
> Where do you get this information about the demise of Puka and Kea.

What evidence do you offer that they are still alive?

Based on what happened with Buck, Luther, and Jake, I find it very
hard to credit that two animals released to the wild, after extended
time in captivity, with NO prior training or preparation, can even be
reliably tracked, much less survive.

-=-=- Bruce Lane, Associate Member, -=-=-
-=-=- Intl. Marine Animal Trainers Association -=-=-
-=-=- American Association of Zoos & Aquariums -=-=-
-=-=- (kyr...@wolfenet.com) -=-=-
-=-=- ,,,No matter how hard we may try, our science can only describe an object, event, -=-=-
-=-=- or living creature, in our own human terms. It cannot, in any way, shape, or -=-=-
-=-=- form, define any of them... -=-=-

Kenneth W. LeVasseur

Jun 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM6/30/96

Aloha Bruce and Michael,

My computer crashed and burned while I was preparing responses to your
postings to me of June 28, possibly June 29. (The hot weather and no AC) In
the process I lost your postings and my responses. Would you please e-mail
your latest comments to me or re-post these comments to the group.

Mahalo and Aloha,
Ken LeVasseur
Cet...@aol.com
Dolf...@gnn.com

Bruce Lane

Jul 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/4/96

Kenneth W. LeVasseur <dolf...@gnn.com> wrote:

>Aloha Bruce and Michael,
>
> My computer crashed and burned while I was preparing responses to your
>postings to me of June 28, possibly June 29. (The hot weather and no AC) In
>the process I lost your postings and my responses. Would you please e-mail
>your latest comments to me or re-post these comments to the group.

Certainly. I wanted to know, in reference to your claim that Puka
and Kea survived their release, what evidence you offer of their
survival and what method of tracking and verification of sightings was
used.

Orca

Jul 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/4/96

Bruce Lane (kyr...@wolfenet.com) wrote:

: dolf...@gnn.com (Kenneth W. LeVasseur) wrote:

: >Aloha Michael,
: >
: > Where do you get this information about the demise of Puka and Kea.

: What evidence do you offer that they are still alive?

: Based on what happened with Buck, Luther, and Jake, I find it very
: hard to credit that two animals released to the wild, after extended
: time in captivity, with NO prior training or preparation, can even be
: reliably tracked, much less survive.

There seems to be an equal amount of evidence for both sides. Lack of
sightings is *not* proof that they are dead.

--
---
\|/ \|/

DogCatBird

Jul 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/6/96

Where were Puka & Kea captive? At Seaworld in Hawaii? When were they
released?
Weren't they two of the "performing" dolphins? I'm thinking that I
remember a "Puka" from my trip there in Novemeber, and now I'm very, very
curious and concerned.
Michele
"I am but mad north-north-west: when the wind is southerly I know a hawk
from a handsaw."
Hamlet/William Shakespeare

Kenneth W. LeVasseur

Jul 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/6/96

Aloha Bruce and Michele,

Since you two are the last inquiries into who are Puka and Kea what
happened to them, I will respond to both as one - if you do not mind.
Bruces inquiry was the response I was working on when my machine
crashed and burned on the 27th last month.

Puka and KeaKiko were two of the first three Navy dolphins to be
used in Lou Herman's research at Kewalo Basin in Honolulu, Hawaii.
Nana and Kea were the first two with Nana dying soon after her arrival at
Herman's shark tanks in 1969. Nana was replaced by Puka who had been
involved in Wayne Batteau's critical research in human / dolphin
communication for the Navy using whistles as a communication medium.
This research is why the Navy classified their dolphin program in 1967.
Wayne Batteau died mysteriously and all evidence of his project was
destroyed in one month. Something never done before or since.

Puka went to Sea Life Park first and then was transferred to Lou
Herman's Kewalo Basin shark tanks after Nana died. When the Marine
Mammal Protection Act (MMPA) was passed in 1973, Herman's lab was
grandfathered in because the dolphins were caught prior to 1973.
Therefore Lou Herman did not have to upgrade his facility to comply
with the MMPA. He could use his five foot deep shark tanks to hold
eight foot dolphins.

I moved into the lab as a live-in caretaker in the spring of 1975
while completing my undergraduate studies at the University of Hawaii. I
lived there until the release of Puka and Kea on May 29th, 1977. Since the
story of the release of Puka and Kea is the basis of Steve Sipman's book, I
must limit my commentary or jeapordize our agreement. This is my last
installment of the release of Puka and Kea. Any further responses will
only be cursory.

In late 1976 Lou Herman made a professional mistake while in Europe
and was censured by the University of Hawaii and lost his National
Science Foundation funding. Since his lab was exempt from the MMPA
facilities and husbandry requirements, the situation at the lab got worse
and worse for the dolphins. We argued repeatedly for the dolphins, but
Lou Herman countered that there was no money for care or
improvements. When evaluated to acquire the new dolphins, the lab and
program was found to have at least forty plus violations of the MMPA
and Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) regulations.
The dolphins soon faced life threatening conditions at the lab.

Regarding Bruce's question "What evidence do I offer that they are
still alive? I can only answer that Puka was seen by a woman who used
to work at the lab one year after the release with a baby (3 foot) dolphin
off of Laau Point on Molokai. Kea was seen around the same time off of
Nawiliwili harbour with a pod of spinner dolphins. Both dolphins have
unique body markings which make them identifiable, but today released
dolphins are freeze-branded to make them identifiable in part because of
the difficulty we had in claiming a positive identification. No pictures
were ever taken to "prove" they survived their first year. In our opinion
at the time, proof of their survival was not important, since every dolphin
expert questioned - especially those familiar with the Navy's early
program - had no doubt that released dolphins any where in the world
would have no problem surviving. How times have changed. Today
those keeping dolphins captive want you to prove that your dolphins
survive at least the first year. Now, it is important.

The second half of Bruce's query claims that there was no prior
training or preparation for the release? Here he is off target in that
there was not one but two release plans, involving both dolphins for their
eventual release. Even though the experts felt no need for re-training at
the time, after two years living with the dolphins, Steve Sipman (also a
live-in caretaker) and I considered ourselves the dolphin's closest friends
and wanted to be sure that they had a reasonable chance for survival if
released. Steve had developed a plan for their release and, independently,
I had also developed a plan. We each had live fish suppliers - as we lived
on the waterfront at the lab and conducted independent live fish exercises
with the dolphins. We were also independently feeding the dolphins all
the fish they could eat during "off" times. Needless to say the lab's
regimine of food deprivation (14.2 & 14.5 lbs. per day) went to hell in a
handbasket as we were each giving them at least 5 to 10 lbs. extra per
day. Unfortunately, the purchased fish was a particularly bad batch and
Lou Herman had issued a "feed the bad fish to the dolphins" directive.
But, each dolphin was getting about thirty pounds of fish per day - double
their ration.

The way Steve and I discovered each other's release plans is
interesting. I was sitting in the lab conference room finishing dinner
(also classroom and dining area) when Steve approached and began talking
about the conditions at the lab. He then made the threat that if I did not
agree to participate in his release plan, that he and others would tie me
up while they proceeded with the release. I was flabbergasted as I was
thinking the same thing if Steve had disagreed should I broach the subject
with him. But, Steve is much more vivid than I am. I am sure he would
have tortured me like a captive dolphin while I was tied up to try to get
me to come around. (I have to get my licks in now since he is writing the
book.) When Steve had finished, I asked him if he wanted to see the boat
I had arranged for the release. Apparently, I was one step ahead of him
and he enthusiastically agreed. I took him down to the 40 foot sportfisher
owned by actor Richard Boone (remember Have Gun Will Travel). The
skipper promptly asked if we wanted to go on a test run, which we did.
We quickly realized that what soon became Plan A was dependent on the
sea state. The final release required Plan B.

Mahalo for your patience in reading about what is one of the favorite
things to happen in my life. I served my friends Puka and Kea well, which
in my opinion is one of the highest goals in life. Lou Herman made off
pretty well to - he was going rapidly downhill! In the process I have
learned a great deal about why dolphins are still kept captive and enslaved
for human purposes. There is a solution - a scientific solution. All
sides of this issue must get together and agree upon scientific research to
resolve the captivity issue. Scientific honesty and cooperation is the
most important criteria we have today to bring about this solution.

Bruce Lane

Jul 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/7/96

orc...@netcom.com (Orca) wrote:

>There seems to be an equal amount of evidence for both sides. Lack of
>sightings is *not* proof that they are dead.

It is also not proof that they are alive. I repeat my question:
What is this evidence that you refer to? Have their been any photos
taken of one or the other, or both, if they have been sighted?

Further, how would anyone know those particular two, out of
hundreds of dolphins in the area, unless they were tagged in some way
that allowed verification of a sighting from a distance?

Orca

Jul 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/7/96

: orc...@netcom.com (Orca) wrote:

: >There seems to be an equal amount of evidence for both sides. Lack of
: >sightings is *not* proof that they are dead.

: It is also not proof that they are alive.

which is the point I was making Bruce.

: I repeat my question:

: What is this evidence that you refer to? Have their been any photos
: taken of one or the other, or both, if they have been sighted?

I was merely inserting a comment into this thread.. there is no evidence
for me to supply.

: Further, how would anyone know those particular two, out of

: hundreds of dolphins in the area, unless they were tagged in some way
: that allowed verification of a sighting from a distance?

The shoulder stripe pattern on Zebras is unique and is used for animal
identification.

The facial stripe pattern on Tigers is unique and is used for animal
identification.

The markings on the roof of the mouth are unique to Orcas and can be used
for animal identification [ you should know this one from having been
around Kotar ].

I could to on, but I trust you get the point Bruce.

have a nice day anyway.

Bruce Lane

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

Kenneth W. LeVasseur <dolf...@gnn.com> wrote:

>This research is why the Navy classified their dolphin program in 1967.
>Wayne Batteau died mysteriously and all evidence of his project was
>destroyed in one month. Something never done before or since.

Don't be too sure. If you want conspiracy theories, here's a
hum-dinger. Nikola Tesla, a scientist of the early 1900's, performed a
number of experiments with advanced ideas like broadcasting electrical
power and other things much stranger.

To this day, most of the details of his work remain classified --
by no less an agency than US Army Intelligence and other federal
agencies.

Anyway, I digress....

>Therefore Lou Herman did not have to upgrade his facility to comply
>with the MMPA. He could use his five foot deep shark tanks to hold
>eight foot dolphins.

Five feet deep, maybe, but what were the length and width
dimensions?

>must limit my commentary or jeapordize our agreement. This is my last
>installment of the release of Puka and Kea. Any further responses will
>only be cursory.

<sigh> So we need to buy the book to learn one side of the story.
Neat. Very neat.

> In late 1976 Lou Herman made a professional mistake while in Europe
>and was censured by the University of Hawaii and lost his National

What was the nature of this mistake?

>program was found to have at least forty plus violations of the MMPA
>and Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) regulations.
>The dolphins soon faced life threatening conditions at the lab.

Be assured that I will investigate this through the APHIS and NMFS
archives.

> Regarding Bruce's question "What evidence do I offer that they are
>still alive? I can only answer that Puka was seen by a woman who used
>to work at the lab one year after the release with a baby (3 foot) dolphin
>off of Laau Point on Molokai. Kea was seen around the same time off of
>Nawiliwili harbour with a pod of spinner dolphins. Both dolphins have
>unique body markings which make them identifiable,

Darn... I'd hoped for something more. Though it may not have come
across in my earlier comments, I would like nothing better than to get
confirmation that the pair survived.

>program - had no doubt that released dolphins any where in the world
>would have no problem surviving. How times have changed. Today
>those keeping dolphins captive want you to prove that your dolphins
>survive at least the first year. Now, it is important.

After what happened to Buck, Luther, et al., I'm not surprised.

>the fish they could eat during "off" times. Needless to say the lab's
>regimine of food deprivation (14.2 & 14.5 lbs. per day) went to hell in a

Admittedly, that is a bit low. Typical amounts run from 18-20
pounds/day.

>handbasket as we were each giving them at least 5 to 10 lbs. extra per
>day. Unfortunately, the purchased fish was a particularly bad batch and
>Lou Herman had issued a "feed the bad fish to the dolphins" directive.

Come on! That would mean that he was actually trying to harm them.
I've heard a lot of things about Lou Herman, but this I find really
hard to believe.

>But, each dolphin was getting about thirty pounds of fish per day - double
>their ration.

Your math is off. By your own figures, given above, the max comes
out to be 24 pounds/day.

>in my opinion is one of the highest goals in life. Lou Herman made off
>pretty well to - he was going rapidly downhill!

You know, that's a really interesting statement. Last I heard,
Kewalo Basin Lab was doing just dandy.

>resolve the captivity issue. Scientific honesty and cooperation is the
>most important criteria we have today to bring about this solution.

I agree, to some extent, but I also would point out that a more
compassionate view towards our finny friends -- indeed, towards the
animal kingdom and the planet as a whole -- is required before such a
change will come about. That attitude is something that no amount of
science can quantify or teach.

Thank you for your comments. I will save this posting off in a
file of its own, and investigate the provided info to my own
satisfaction.

Bruce Lane

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

orc...@netcom.com (Orca) wrote:

>I was merely inserting a comment into this thread.. there is no evidence
>for me to supply.

Oh. <grin> Sorry about that...

>The shoulder stripe pattern on Zebras is unique and is used for animal
>identification.

Ok....

>The facial stripe pattern on Tigers is unique and is used for animal
>identification.

Gotcha...

>The markings on the roof of the mouth are unique to Orcas and can be used
>for animal identification [ you should know this one from having been
>around Kotar ].

This is a new one, though I think you'd have some problems getting
wild orcas to open up. ;-) Just about every orca researcher I've heard
of uses photos of the saddle-patch markings for ID.

>I could to on, but I trust you get the point Bruce.

I do, and it is true that dolphins have unique facial markings as
well. They could probably be used in the same way as an orca's
saddle-patch -- if the dolphins in question were to oblige the
photographer by holding their head above the water long enough. ;-)

Orca

Jul 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/9/96

: orc...@netcom.com (Orca) wrote:

: >I was merely inserting a comment into this thread.. there is no evidence
: >for me to supply.

: Oh. <grin> Sorry about that...

no problem. :)

: >The shoulder stripe pattern on Zebras is unique and is used for animal
: >identification.

: Ok....

: >The facial stripe pattern on Tigers is unique and is used for animal
: >identification.

: Gotcha...

: >The markings on the roof of the mouth are unique to Orcas and can be used
: >for animal identification [ you should know this one from having been
: >around Kotar ].

: This is a new one, though I think you'd have some problems getting
: wild orcas to open up. ;-)

Which is why they use the saddle patch instead. I only know this from
first hand experience with the four Orcas SWSD had in the petting pool.
each had a different pattern. Trainers I have talked to were unaware of
this which I found supprising.

: Just about every orca researcher I've heard

: of uses photos of the saddle-patch markings for ID.

: >I could to on, but I trust you get the point Bruce.

: I do, and it is true that dolphins have unique facial markings as
: well. They could probably be used in the same way as an orca's
: saddle-patch -- if the dolphins in question were to oblige the
: photographer by holding their head above the water long enough. ;-)

Nicks on flukes and dorsal, visiblle rake marks on body are other things
that can be used too. Sightings would be more accepted it it was stated
what of these were being used to identify a particular animal.

If they are captive release animals they could be freeze branded [ as Joe
and Rosie were ] with unique marks, but that inof itself is a problem.

Kenneth W. LeVasseur

Jul 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/10/96

Aloha Bruce,

The reference to Batteau's work being destroyed within a month of his
death was meant to refer to the Navy's dolphin program not the entrire
classification system. (Yes I have read briefly about Tesla and what
happened.)

Both tanks, they were kept in isolation, were 50 foot in diameter.
And they were definately five foot deep.

The story behind and nature of Herman's mistake was told to me by a
very reliable source. But being as you like things straight from the
horses mouth, I am checking to see if it is a matter of public record.
This way you can check for yourself. (The Vice Chancellor will get back to
me.) On the other hand, you could check with the National Science
Foundation to see if the suspension of his funding was related to his
censure at UH, i.e. the same mistake or another cause. And if it is a
matter of public record. NSF is on the mainland - your turf and UH is here
- my turf. Fair enough? The time period was 1976-1977.

Since you plan to check Herman's APHIS and NMFS records, try his whole
file from 1969 to the present. I know his lab at present does not comply
with APHIS regulations. His compliance would probably amount to less than
20% of the entire time period, a large chunk of which would have been the
pre-act grandfathering - up to 1977.

Yup! Math is off for these figures. 24 will never equal 28 or 29.
At the time of the release, Puka was on strike (her second) and Herman had
reduced her ration to 12.5 lbs or so Steve reminds me. That is where the
double rations phrase comes from. You keep me sharp or at least point out
when I am dull - mahalo. (It still does not come up to an exact double
ration.)

The Kewalo Basin Lab is closing down and possibly moving to Maui.
That and their failure to comply with the government regulations mentioned
earlier would stop me from calling their condition "dandy". But it
definately is much better than just prior to the release of Puka and Kea in
1977.

Bruce Lane

Jul 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/11/96

> The reference to Batteau's work being destroyed within a month of his
>death was meant to refer to the Navy's dolphin program not the entrire
>classification system. (Yes I have read briefly about Tesla and what
>happened.)

Thought you'd appreciate that. In any case, thank you. I have printed
this post out and will be using it as the basis for my letters of
inquiry.

It may be a month or more before I am able to devote my full attention
to this, though. My wife and I moved into our first house recently,
and there's still a lot of work to do before we're even close to what
I would consider 'settled.'

> Both tanks, they were kept in isolation, were 50 foot in diameter.
>And they were definately five foot deep.

Dear Lord... on that, at least, we can both agree. Too friggin' small!

> The story behind and nature of Herman's mistake was told to me by a
>very reliable source. But being as you like things straight from the
>horses mouth, I am checking to see if it is a matter of public record.
>This way you can check for yourself.

Thank you. I appreciate it.

> Since you plan to check Herman's APHIS and NMFS records, try his whole
>file from 1969 to the present.

Were detailed records even kept, prior to the MMPA?

> I know his lab at present does not comply with APHIS regulations.

How the heck is he getting away with operating, then?

> Yup! Math is off for these figures. 24 will never equal 28 or 29.
>At the time of the release, Puka was on strike (her second) and Herman had
>reduced her ration to 12.5 lbs or so Steve reminds me.

Cutting back food is something I never have, and never will, agree
with. Fortunately, most of my friends in the field seem to feel the
same way.

>double rations phrase comes from. You keep me sharp or at least point out
>when I am dull - mahalo.

To quote from an old James Taylor song... 'That's why I'm here...' ;-)

> The Kewalo Basin Lab is closing down and possibly moving to Maui.

This, I didn't know about, but that won't save them from having to
comply with APHIS regs. I'll investigate this as well.

Thanks again.

-=-=- Bruce Lane, Associate Member, -=-=-

-=-=- Intl. Marine Animal Trainers Assn. -=-=-
-=-=- American Assn. of Zoos & Aquariums -=-=-
-=-=- E-mail: kyr...@wolfenet.com -=-=-
-=-=- "...No matter how hard we may try, our science can only describe
an object, event, or living creature in our own human terms.
It cannot, under any conditions, define any of them..." -=-=-

Doug Cartlidge

Jul 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/14/96

kyr...@wolfenet.com (Bruce Lane) wrote:

> Cutting back food is something I never have, and never will, agree
>with. Fortunately, most of my friends in the field seem to feel the
>same way.

Hi Bruce....I feel your experience in the commercial field is somewhat
limited and maybe clouded by your own desire. You state most of your
friends in the field do not agree with food cuts....well I forwarded
IMATA the handwritten daily log from a UK dolphinarium clearly showing
a female tursiops was starved for upto 12 days simply for not
performingn properly.

The "trainer" in question wrote...."we'll see what happens tomorow
when she's hungry" zero food.....after 9 days he wrote..."she's
looking a little thin but that's only to be expected as I have cut her
food".....on day 12 he concluded...."I think we've broken her".....

A copy of the full text was supplied to IMATA with a promise to
provide the original handwritten book if they took action against
their member, who is presently in charge of a European
facility.....THEY DECLINED!

The above is only one of a number of clear cases of food reduction my
organisation has managed to obtain. Add to that the isolation of
working tursiops in small holding pens...for not cooperating, plus
some horrific still photo's of a recent transport where a dolphin was
tied by its tail in a transport box and I assure you...your firends
have a lot to answer for. If members of this newsgroup would like to
see the photo of the commercial industry transport I will attempt to
get a friend to send it down the wires!!

Regards Doug Cartlidge
European Cetacean Organisation

Bruce Lane

Jul 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/14/96

do...@mistral.co.uk (Doug Cartlidge) wrote:

>Hi Bruce....I feel your experience in the commercial field is somewhat
>limited and maybe clouded by your own desire.

??? My own desire to do what? I'll be the first to admit that I'm
no pro in the field, but I don't follow your meaning.

>friends in the field do not agree with food cuts....well I forwarded
>IMATA the handwritten daily log from a UK dolphinarium clearly showing
>a female tursiops was starved for upto 12 days simply for not
>performingn properly.

My experiences are, admittedly, limited to USA-based facilities
and a couple in Canada. This doesn't mean I agree with food cuts.

By 'starved,' do you mean that she was not fed at all? If so, I
have trouble believing the '12 days' part, as I think an animal would
waste away from dehydration after about a week.

>The "trainer" in question wrote...."we'll see what happens tomorow
>when she's hungry" zero food.....after 9 days he wrote..."she's
>looking a little thin but that's only to be expected as I have cut her
>food".....on day 12 he concluded...."I think we've broken her".....

Dear Lord....

I sincerely hope that so-called "trainer" finds a different line
of work. Say, as a bagger at the local supermarket? ;-)

Seriously, that's inexcusable. I'm glad you forwarded that to
IMATA. Although they have no official power, where animal laws are
concerned, they can exert peer pressure through their own channels.

I would be willing to bet that the particular "trainer" you refer
to will soon be looking for a new job.

>A copy of the full text was supplied to IMATA with a promise to
>provide the original handwritten book if they took action against
>their member, who is presently in charge of a European
>facility.....THEY DECLINED!

<wince> Hoo, boy. Ok... this calls for some inquiries on my end.
Could you please E-mail the details to kyr...@wolfenet.com?

>tied by its tail in a transport box and I assure you...your firends
>have a lot to answer for. If members of this newsgroup would like to

None of my real friends in the field, who I should point out, once
again, are all USA-based, would dream of treating any animal as you
describe, and would be quick to censure anyone who did.

I'll be dropping you an E-mail soon.

-=-=- Bruce Lane, Associate Member, -=-=-

-=-=- Intl. Marine Animal Trainers Association -=-=-
-=-=- American Association of Zoos & Aquariums -=-=-
-=-=- (kyr...@wolfenet.com) -=-=-
-=-=- ,,,No matter how hard we may try, our science can only describe an object, event, -=-=-
-=-=- or living creature, in our own human terms. It cannot, in any way, shape, or -=-=-

-=-=- form, define any of them... -=-=-

Royce

Jul 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/14/96

Bruce Lane wrote:

> -=-=- "...No matter how hard we may try, our science can only describe
> an object, event, or living creature in our own human terms.
> It cannot, under any conditions, define any of them..." -=-=-

EXACTLY! MAHALO!

Mike Royce

Royce

Jul 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/14/96

Kenneth W. LeVasseur wrote:

> At the time of the release, Puka was on strike (her second) and Herman had
> reduced her ration to 12.5 lbs or so Steve reminds me.

Ken,
This is the typical "dolphin trainer lingo" that keeps us all from seeing
these animals as they really are. I understand that you're using this
term to simply describe her refusal to work, however the term "strike"
implies a conscious negative decision on her part to refuse to work.
Perhaps she was sick. Perhaps she was playing a game. Perhaps she was
trying to manipulate you. Perhaps she was pissed. Perhaps SHE WAS
BORED OUT OF HER MIND... the possibilities are endless. And that's the
point. These animals are far more complex and emotional than even many
trainers give them credit for (and therein lies the problem of
captivity).

Mike Royce
ro...@maui.net

PS By the same token, I am perturbed when scientists try to explain
EVERYTHING that intelligient animals do. I recently heard a scientist say
in a TV documentary about whales (as we see the Humpbacks breaching): "We
don't know why these magnificent creatures perform this incredible
breaching behavior". Well, MAYBE IT'S JUST PLAIN FUN. Duh.

orca.o...@gmail.com

Aug 7, 2012, 1:06:15 PM8/7/12
On Thursday, June 27, 1996 12:00:00 AM UTC-7, Kenneth W. LeVasseur wrote:
> Aloha Michael,
>
> I happen to be very proud of the first dolphin release in the United
> States considering it was done covertly and with the best scientific
> knowledge and program at the time.

The first release of captive Dolphins was back in the latter 1980's when Joe and Rosie were released, the Dolphins used for Lilly's JANUS project.