for angst's voyeurs

1 view

desnos

Jun 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/21/00

I couldn't help posting this, from Salon.com, "PBS Peep Show":

www.salon.com/ent/col/mill/2000/06/19/1900/index.html

detailing Britain's version of "Survivor."

My favorite line:

"I'm fed up with being dirty and smelly and greasy and skanky!"

desnos

buk...@baileylink.net

Jun 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/21/00
In article <39510723...@my-deja.com>,
des...@my-deja.com wrote:

> "I'm fed up with being dirty and smelly and greasy and skanky!"

I really don't get that; I enjoy being dirty and smelly and greasy and
skanky.

Real voyeurism requires an unaware subject. I don't know why you won't
listen to me. You really ought to get yourself a radio scanner baby.

Everything is on the airwaves.

Bukvich

[ ' don't forget to feed the dawgs ' ]

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

loosel...@my-deja.com

Jun 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/22/00
> I couldn't help posting this, from Salon.com, "PBS Peep Show":
>
> www.salon.com/ent/col/mill/2000/06/19/1900/index.html
>
> detailing Britain's version of "Survivor."

Here's what saturday's 'Guardian' had to say about survivor:

'The last 10 minutes of every episode takes the sinister form of a
tribal meeting wherein the members of the unit vote for their weakest
link to be banished from the island. The first week it was Sonya, a 62
year old cancer survivor. The second week it was BB, a 64 year old
businessman. The nexat to go looks likely to be Rudy, a 72 year old ex-
navy SEAL. Basically, Survivor implicitly echoes one of the basic
tenets of American society: the old are worthless...'

'Having weeded out the elderly, Survivor now offers the prospeect of
gay versus straight and black versus white before finally zeroing in on
the person ruthless or, more likely, seemingly bland, enough to see off
the competition. They shouldn't call it Survivor; they should call it
America.'

---
Needless to say I think this sounds /great/.

buk...@baileylink.net

Jun 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/22/00
In article <8it2jh$2s$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
loosel...@my-deja.com wrote:

> Needless to say I think this sounds /great/.

You ain't the only one. The ratings are in the upper stratos.
Everybody (it seems) discusses the show in the office the day after.

It's TV people. It's the Idiot Box!

Bukvich

[ ' nobody listens to me ' ]

mouse

Jun 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/22/00
In article <8itfim$ama$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
buk...@baileylink.net grumped:

> [ ' nobody listens to me ' ]

they would if you were on tv

mouse

(but then again, do you really want that kind of audience?)

desnos

Jun 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/22/00

buk...@baileylink.net wrote:

> > "I'm fed up with being dirty and smelly and greasy and skanky!"
>
> I really don't get that; I enjoy being dirty and smelly and greasy and
> skanky.
>
> Real voyeurism requires an unaware subject. I don't know why you won't
> listen to me. You really ought to get yourself a radio scanner baby.

Okay, okay, okay. I'll put it on my "things to buy" list, right below the
yamaha clavinova digital piano and a new computer.

Unless, of course, you want to buy one for me.

des

desnos

Jun 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/22/00

bob wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Jun 2000 13:19:15 -0500, desnos <des...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>

> >I couldn't help posting this, from Salon.com, "PBS Peep Show":
> >
> > www.salon.com/ent/col/mill/2000/06/19/1900/index.html
> >
> >detailing Britain's version of "Survivor."
> >

> I don't have cable and I can't get anything except PBS with my
> antenna, therefore, I haven't seen Survivor yet but I've heard it's
> interesting.

But have you seen the British one? Apparently, a family of 5 spend 3
months in a house built in 1900, and have to live like Brits lived in 1900
-- sans indoor plumbing, sans modern appliances, etc. It's airing on PBS
next Monday; I think I'll tune in.

desnos

Manix

Jun 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/23/00
On Thu, 22 Jun 2000 12:53:08 -0500, in the maelstrom that is the mind
of desnos <des...@my-deja.com> this fizzed and bubbled:

>But have you seen the British one? Apparently, a family of 5 spend 3
>months in a house built in 1900, and have to live like Brits lived in 1900

I missed this when it aired over here due to the fact that I don't
have a tv, but I'm reliably informed the wife is a total angst-bunny
because she's a vegetarian and the average Victorian diet didn't cater
for that.

At this point I would like to make clear that being a vegetarian has
in no way diminished my angst-bunny abilities!

M.
.sig currently missing, presumed relabelled

targa

Jun 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/23/00

> I missed this when it aired over here due to the fact that I don't
> have a tv, but I'm reliably informed the wife is a total angst-bunny
> because she's a vegetarian and the average Victorian diet didn't cater
> for that.

in victorian times it was the rule that the men ate first, the women
and children ate what was left, so I doubt she will have much
opportunity
for meat in her diet.

targa