Ammonia vs Freon

ri...@dm2.deskmedia.com

Apr 13, 2001, 10:30:57 AM4/13/01

From: "Prescott" <blac...@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001

Subject: Ammonia vs Freon

Beginner,

Is Ammonia more efficient than freon?

How dangerous is Ammonia?

Why don't you see it in more applications?

ri...@dm2.deskmedia.com

Apr 17, 2001, 10:11:11 AM4/17/01

From: "Oleg Panov" <oleg...@mtu-net.ru>
Date: Tue, Apr 2001
Re: Ammonia vs Freon

>Beginner,
>
>Is Ammonia more efficient than freon?

No, just ammonia is not very expansive. Ammonia is used in the big
refrigerating productions

>How dangerous is Ammonia?

Yes, dangerous. Toxic and fire dangerous.

>Why don't you see it in more applications?

Sorry for my bad English. I`m from Russia, Moscow.

ri...@dm2.deskmedia.com

Apr 17, 2001, 10:39:10 AM4/17/01

Sorry Oleg, but the answer you gave was not correct:

Ammonia is more efficient as a refrigerant, you simply need to
look at a Refrigerant Tables & Charts to see that ammonia has a higher
latent capability per pound compared to the same pound of freon.

When looking at a chart you can notice that ammonia at -28 degrees at one
atmosphere 14.7 psia or 0 psig has a liquid latent heat capability of 12.8 btus.
and as a vapor it has 602.1 btus. to find out the latent capability of one pound
of ammonia subtract the liquid from the vapor = 589.3 btus. for one (1) pound of
ammonia. If you look at a freon chart the same pound at the same temperature is
at approximately 60+ btus. We use the Enthalpy side of our charts more than the
Entropy scale. In Russia you probably use the Entropy side as in Btu/lb R

To make it simple for everyone to understand, think of it this way:

Yes freon can do the same refrigeration work, it just takes more of it.
Not only is ammonia cheaper per pound it also cost less to operate an
ammonia system because it relates to power use. Ammonia will do the same
refrigerationt task but uses less horse power. This comes down to less power
cost and lower plant operating costs. That's the real reason ammonia is used
in large applications.

Any refrigerant is dangerous, NH3 is a class 2 refrigerant and should be treated
with the same respect as any other refrigerant, at least it lets you know it's in
the air. ( Sniff Sniff P U )..

And ammonia is everywhere your just not looking in the right places..! Find any large
refrigerated warehouse and most likely you will find ammonia as the refrigerant of choice.

ri...@dm2.deskmedia.com

Apr 18, 2001, 9:34:40 PM4/18/01

One of the really great things about ammonia is it's Latent
capabilities. Ammonia has the highest of any refrigerant on
the commercial market. You need only to look at a Refrigerant
Tables and Charts to see just how well it compares to other
refrigerants.