My First Motorcycle Tank

1 view

Jay

Sep 2, 2000, 1:04:40 PM9/2/00
Early in the summer, I posted some questions about clear coating a
motorcycle tank I was going to airbrush. Well, I finally got around to
spraying it, and it came out great. I was going to take it to a body shop
to have it clear coated. But I have an uncle who works at a body shop, and
he said that the aerosol clear coats that auto stores sell work just as
good. Since the body shop would have charged eighty dollars, I figured I'ld
try the aerosol stuff.

It seems to have worked, with one problem. It took about fifteen coats of
that stuff to get the kind of shine that one expects from a good clear coat.
So if it is the same stuff that the pros use, it must be a very thinned down
version. Next time, I think I'll just get a HVLP spray gun, some real clear
coat, and do it myself.

Anyway, I'm going to take some photos of the finished tank this weekend.
When I get them developed, I'll post one. I think it came out pritty good
for a first effort.

jay

Adam S. Humphrey

Sep 2, 2000, 9:45:40 PM9/2/00
Umm.. He must be like the janitor! Because he is full of $H!T. There are big
differences between rattle can clears and real automotive clears.

Just my thoughts
Adam

Chris W Naggy

Sep 7, 2000, 11:34:22 PM9/7/00
I personally don't think the spray can will be as durable, as far as holding
up to UV rays and lets say gas spilling all over your tank. The amount of
time you spent sprayin all those layers of thin paint which is about what
you did, you would have been better off spending the $80 bucks. If the man
was willing to spray it. I myself wouldn't have, I tell my customers I'll do
there project from start to finish, that way if theres any problems I'm the
only one to blame. Invest in a small gun and apply automotive urethane next
time, 2 to 3 coats is all you need, sand and buff. You'll see the diff,
believe me there is. Like they always say you get what you pay for! Save
money by doing the work yourself but don't get cheap when it comes to the
type of materials you use!!!!
Adam S. Humphrey <airbr...@blackhole-designs.com> wrote in message

Jay

Sep 9, 2000, 11:03:45 PM9/9/00
The next time I do a project like this, I will invest in a small spray gun.
I'm sure I'll save a ton of time. Just to be on the safe side, I tested the
'rattle can' clear by trying to remove it with solvents, and it stayed put.
But like I said, it took fifteen coats. Two or three coats of real clear
sounds a lot better. Thanks for the feedback.

"Chris W Naggy" <app...@cvzoom.net> wrote in message

Ben Bennett

Oct 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/18/00
15 coats isn't bad if you didn't have to sand and polish the tank. The hvlp
gun will more than likely leave an undesireable orange peel texture. Try it
on something you don't care about first.
Jay <tr...@sugar-river.net> wrote in message