Paint question - beginner

R Fahy

Mar 2, 2003, 9:00:29 PM3/2/03
Hi all, just wondering if anyone had any recommendations on what
paint(s) would be best for painting model rockets. The models I'm
talking about are the flying variety, not the all-plastic (or resin?)
static models. They are principally composed of a kraft-paper body
with either balsa or plywood fins, and a plastic nosecone.

I generally prep with some kind of canned spray primer - I find the
"scratch filler / primer" type sold in automotive stores works really
well. So, the surface isn't actually very porous when I start
applying paint.

I usually fill the wood fins with thinned wood filler; if I'm careful
and take my time, this gives a very smooth surface. If I'm a bit
sloppy and rushed (more often the case), it doesn't get rid of all the
woodgrain, but does smooth things considerably.

I'd like to stay away from solvent-based paints, if at all possible.
(I stink up the neighborhood enough with my primer!) Off the top of
my head, that leaves acrylics, Createx Auto Air (any other similar
products?), and ????

I'm not striving for "pro-quality" results here - the thing doesn't
have to look like a custom motorcycle tank - I'm just looking to try
some new techniques and do something more interesting than just the
straight-line-masked spray-can work most model rockets sport. (And
also have some fun and learn some things along the way!)

Any thoughts appreciated. I'm open to any suggestions, including
changing my prep process.

Thanks in advance!!

Jay

Mar 2, 2003, 11:46:54 PM3/2/03
I would go with any airbrush acrylic, like Createx or Aquaflow. Then I
would protect the paint job with a coat of Krylon Clear; I imagine the
rockets take a bit of a beating when the come back down.

Jay

"R Fahy" <rfa...@cox.net> wrote in message

Clyde Hooks

Mar 14, 2003, 4:14:59 PM3/14/03
Hi. May I suggest the craft acrylics sold at W-mart and other stores? I
use the "fine art" tube acrylics diluted with water and a little air
brush medium. My mother (brush) paints with acrylics and says there is
no real difference other than cost and fluidity.

Clyde (New to this group, Hi all)