Water Based Clears

Jay

May 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/29/00
I want to paint a motorcycle tank with AutoAir and Deka SignAir. Both are
water based sign paints. Deka makes a clear coat. My question is: is a
water based clear coat going to be tough enough to withstand the kind of
usage a gas tank is going to go through? Or should I just take it to a body
shop after spraying it and have them clear coat it. Before I get lots of
posts for House of Kolor urethanes, I should tell you I live in a small
apartment, and airbrush in my livingroom. So any solvent based paints or
clears are out of the question. I only spray with nontoxic waterbased
paints. Also, does anyone know if Deka has a web page. My browser isn't
finding anything.

jay

Chris W Naggy

May 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/29/00
Jay, nothin but urethane when it comes to the clear coat! That's the only
thing I know that will stand up to the gas. Use a heat gun or hair dryer to
set water base paint. Only problem I ever read was if the clear would stick
to the wbpaint. I've used it in small areas and never had a problem. But
sounds like you can't spray it in your place anyway. Do your airbrush work
and take it to a bodyshop for the clear. Light coat at first let set 15 min
then 3 wet coats,24 hours 1500 paper and buff.

Roger Smith

May 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/29/00
hey cool,
I'm doing basically the same but on an air breather for a hot rod (do
all my work in my living room as well). I'm using auto air as well, but I
was wondering how it would hold up to the heat and engine grime, I was
planing to drag it over to the shop and clear coat it my self. I should be
done with it by the end of the week I'll try and let ya know how it turns
out. adios - Lee

Jay

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
Thanks for your response Chris. The urethane clear it will be. I don't
want my artwork peeling off the first time some gas gets spilled on the
tank!
Chris W Naggy <app...@cvzoom.net> wrote in message

> Jay, nothin but urethane when it comes to the clear coat! That's the only
> thing I know that will stand up to the gas. Use a heat gun or hair dryer
> set water base paint. Only problem I ever read was if the clear would
stick
> to the wbpaint. I've used it in small areas and never had a problem. But
> sounds like you can't spray it in your place anyway. Do your airbrush work
> and take it to a bodyshop for the clear. Light coat at first let set 15
min
> then 3 wet coats,24 hours 1500 paper and buff.

Jay

May 30, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/30/00
Great! How about posting a photo of the finished art? I'ld love to see it.
jay