Nut trees; Pecan and others?

Alan Izzo

Aug 19, 1993, 7:57:45 PM8/19/93
I am looking for information on growing nut trees for profit. I
am considering Pecans and maybe Hazelnuts.

Does anyone have sources for data on economics and markets ?

I also need to study up on how to take care of the orchard, so books
or what ever on how to take care of the trees is also needed.

(ok, so I'm a computer geek, but I grew up on a farm and used to work in
several pecan orchards to earn money to pay for my punch cards...)

If you can help, post it here or mail to me at bob_ol...@priacc.com.

.
xit

Larry London

Aug 20, 1993, 12:12:49 AM8/20/93
In article <1993Aug19.2...@teetot.acusd.edu> iz...@teetot.acusd.edu (Alan Izzo) writes:
>I am looking for information on growing nut trees for profit.
>Does anyone have sources for data on economics and markets ?
>I also need to study up on how to take care of the orchard, so books
>or what ever on how to take care of the trees is also needed.

I have several files on hazelnut farming and maybe a few others on
nut growing in general. Have a look around the GOPHER at sunSITE.unc.edu.

telnet sunsite.unc.edu
Login: gopher
Enter term type: vt100 (works fine)

go to:

sunsite archives
sustainable agriculture information
browse sustainable agriculture information
sustainable agriculture

For nut growing information:

look for newinfo.* directories in sustainable agriculture, miscrural
or recgardens

lon...@sunSITE.unc.edu

John Roberts

Aug 20, 1993, 11:06:23 AM8/20/93
Subject: Re: Nut trees; Pecan and others?
From: Larry London, lon...@sunSITE.unc.edu
Date: 20 Aug 93 04:12:49 GMT
In article <251j01$q...@samba.oit.unc.edu> Larry London,
>>I am looking for information on growing nut trees for profit.
>>Does anyone have sources for data on economics and markets ?
>>I also need to study up on how to take care of the orchard, so books
>>or what ever on how to take care of the trees is also needed.

I grew up in pecan country in Texas. San Saba claims to be the pecan
capital of the US. The USDA mans a Pecan Genetics and Improvement
Research laboratory in Brownwood Texas. They may be a source for more
information:

Brownwood, Texas
Pecan Genetics and Improvement Research
USDA, ARS, SPA