Kids banned from child care centre

NewsHound

Jun 21, 2006, 6:56:05 AM6/21/06
KIDS BANNED FROM CHILD CARE CENTRE

Sunday Times, Australia: 20 June 2006
http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21498,19543001-948,00.html

Three children aged under six have been banned from a WA childcare
centre after being accused of sexually abusing other children.

The three were today excluded from the Collie Child Care and Community
Centre at Collie, 200km south of Perth, while WA's Department for
Community Development investigates allegations they sexually
interfered with other children, also aged under six.

Department spokeswoman Pauline Bagdonavicius said the trio had been
banned to ensure all children at the centre were safe.

"While the allegations have yet to be substantiated, this does help
allay parents' concerns and ensures the safety of other children while
the investigation is being carried out," Ms Bagdonavicius said.

A member of the childcare centre's management committee, Glyn Yates,
said that banning the three did not indicate they were guilty.

It was simply a precaution, he said.

"We are ultimately talking about children-to-children contact," Mr
Yates told AAP.

"We could be talking about kids investigating their bits, as kids can
do."

The centre has been taking the allegations seriously since they were
raised by a parent on Monday.

"I would love to think that it is something that will be a
misunderstanding," Mr Yates said.