empathy versus republicanism

Dave

Jun 9, 2006, 8:39:31 PM6/9/06
Beyond all the rhetoric it seems to me that the main driving force
behind liberal morality is empathy. For example we support the
right to abortion because we* can imagine ourselves in the shoes of a
woman forced to endure pregnancy and childbirth in order to live
a life other than the one she has planned for herself. We do not
empathize with zygotes or embryos for the same reason we
don't empathize with plants, rivers or minerals.

We also support equal rights for homosexuals and other minorities
because we can imagine ourselves in the shoes of people being
verbally abused or discriminated against. We support voluntarily
euthanasia because we can picture ourselves in a life of unbearable
suffering.

Question to Young, Wade, Trumpet, Wentsky, Bonney, Bobandcarole
et al: What drives your morality: why do you so often take positions
that demonstrate a lack of empathy?

Amanda Williams

Jun 9, 2006, 8:59:23 PM6/9/06
"Dave" <prp...@hotmail.com> allegedly said in news:1149899970.969974.46320
@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

That's easy....

You need some higher brain functions to experience empathy.. higher brain
functions are something (sadly) lacking in mouth-breathing rightards..

It's kinda like they can't pick their noses and think at the same time...

It might even be genetic...

--
AW

<small but dangerous>

Johnny

Jun 9, 2006, 9:47:05 PM6/9/06

"Dave" <prp...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Beyond all the rhetoric it seems to me that the main driving force
> behind liberal morality is empathy. For example we support the
> right to abortion because we* can imagine ourselves in the shoes of a
> woman forced to endure pregnancy and childbirth in order to live
> a life other than the one she has planned for herself. We do not
> empathize with zygotes or embryos for the same reason we
> don't empathize with plants, rivers or minerals.

Ridiculous. You seem to think you are of another species than humanity.

> We also support equal rights for homosexuals and other minorities
> because we can imagine ourselves in the shoes of people being
> verbally abused or discriminated against. We support voluntarily
> euthanasia because we can picture ourselves in a life of unbearable
> suffering.

Who is we?

> Question to Young, Wade, Trumpet, Wentsky, Bonney, Bobandcarole
> et al: What drives your morality: why do you so often take positions
> that demonstrate a lack of empathy?

Empathy is something that comes from experience, yes?
Maybe it is because we are not constantly the subject of reproach and
consternation that you Pro-Choicers are subject to.

Johnny

Jun 9, 2006, 9:47:41 PM6/9/06

"Amanda Williams" <p...@fu.com> wrote in message

I see pro-choice empathy.

Message has been deleted

quibbler

Jun 9, 2006, 10:20:27 PM6/9/06
In article <1149899970....@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
prp...@hotmail.com says...

Ummmm....I would imagine they are driven by egotism, tempered by their
own gross stupidity and morbid fears of losing privileges, real or
imagined.

--
Quibbler (quibbler247atyahoo.com)
"It is fashionable to wax apocalyptic about the

Pies de Arcilla

Jun 9, 2006, 10:29:43 PM6/9/06

Dave wrote:
> Question to Young, Wade, Trumpet, Wentsky, Bonney, Bobandcarole
> et al: What drives your morality: why do you so often take positions
> that demonstrate a lack of empathy?

They must have got homosexuals confused with plants and minerals. I
should think that would be obvious to one of your intellect.

Thurisaz, Germanic barbarian

Jun 9, 2006, 11:46:28 PM6/9/06
Dave:

> Question to Young, Wade, Trumpet, Wentsky, Bonney, Bobandcarole
> et al: What drives your morality: why do you so often take positions
> that demonstrate a lack of empathy?

Hate and arrogance are emotions too...

...in contrast to idiocy which is (as far as I understand it) just a state
of mind.

--
"To his friend a man a friend shall prove, and gifts with gifts requite;
But men shall mocking with mockery answer, and fraud with falsehood meet."

My personal judgment of monotheism:
http://www.carcosa.de/nojebus

cotton field

Jun 10, 2006, 1:43:34 AM6/10/06

Dave 写道:

> Question to Young, Wade, Trumpet, Wentsky, Bonney, Bobandcarole
> et al: What drives your morality: why do you so often take positions
> that demonstrate a lack of empathy?

....easy....
That is because they think the majority and old morals are the
exclusive humanity that make sense.And they are proud to be part of
them. So do we ,being of the minority.
:)

Dave

Jun 10, 2006, 8:16:11 AM6/10/06

Johnny wrote:
> "Dave" <prp...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Beyond all the rhetoric it seems to me that the main driving force
> > behind liberal morality is empathy. For example we support the
> > right to abortion because we* can imagine ourselves in the shoes of a
> > woman forced to endure pregnancy and childbirth in order to live
> > a life other than the one she has planned for herself. We do not
> > empathize with zygotes or embryos for the same reason we
> > don't empathize with plants, rivers or minerals.
>
> Ridiculous. You seem to think you are of another species than humanity.

Non-sequiter.

> > We also support equal rights for homosexuals and other minorities
> > because we can imagine ourselves in the shoes of people being
> > verbally abused or discriminated against. We support voluntarily
> > euthanasia because we can picture ourselves in a life of unbearable
> > suffering.
>
> Who is we?

Perhaps I should have used "I" since I don't represent anyone besides
myself but it seems that there are others who think like me across a
range of issues and I am postulating empathy as the common factor.
I hope that doesn't sound too arogant.

> > Question to Young, Wade, Trumpet, Wentsky, Bonney, Bobandcarole
> > et al: What drives your morality: why do you so often take positions
> > that demonstrate a lack of empathy?
>
> Empathy is something that comes from experience, yes?

I think it is a combination of experience and imagination. For
example I haven't found myself the victim of an unwanted pregnancy
or of racist or homophobic abuse but to some extent I can imagine
what it feels like.

> Maybe it is because we are not constantly the subject of reproach and
> consternation that you Pro-Choicers are subject to.

I find it very interesting that rather than attempting to dispute your
apparent lack of empathy you choose to explain why you don't
exhibit it.

Dave

Jun 10, 2006, 8:21:51 AM6/10/06

Attila2 wrote:
> On 9 Jun 2006 17:39:31 -0700, "Dave" <prp...@hotmail.com> in
> alt.abortion with message-id
> <1149899970....@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> Off topic spam.

My experience on this newsgroup is that most of the readership
are interested in discussing "off topic spam" of that nature. It
seems that the subject matter has broadened since alt.abortion
was named.

> What does this have to do with abortion or the Freedom of Choice?

Dave

Jun 10, 2006, 8:36:37 AM6/10/06

Thurisaz, Germanic barbarian wrote:
> Dave:
>
> > Question to Young, Wade, Trumpet, Wentsky, Bonney, Bobandcarole
> > et al: What drives your morality: why do you so often take positions
> > that demonstrate a lack of empathy?
>
> Hate and arrogance are emotions too...
>
> ...in contrast to idiocy which is (as far as I understand it) just a state
> of mind.

Indeed but are any of these characteristics the driving forces behind
republican ideology? My original hypothesis was that they are
motivated by fear of God with whom they appear to have a
master-slave as opposed to a father-son type of relationship.
However there are plenty of liberal Christians like Craig Chilton
and those who work for charities like Christian Aid helping
less fortunate people.

I agree with the observation made by Bertrand Russel:
"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts,
he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is
overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand,
he is offered something which affords a reason for acting
in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on
the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained
in this way." I think Christians generally interpret the Bible
in accordance with their individual psyches.

I still haven't figured out what drives the Republican psyche.
It isn't just their stance on issues but which ones they choose
to prioritize as well. Their values are completely alien to me.
I just want to know where they come from.

Dave

Jun 10, 2006, 8:42:44 AM6/10/06

quibbler wrote:
> In article <1149899970....@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> prp...@hotmail.com says...
> > Beyond all the rhetoric it seems to me that the main driving force
> > behind liberal morality is empathy. For example we support the
> > right to abortion because we* can imagine ourselves in the shoes of a
> > woman forced to endure pregnancy and childbirth in order to live
> > a life other than the one she has planned for herself. We do not
> > empathize with zygotes or embryos for the same reason we
> > don't empathize with plants, rivers or minerals.
> >
> > We also support equal rights for homosexuals and other minorities
> > because we can imagine ourselves in the shoes of people being
> > verbally abused or discriminated against. We support voluntarily
> > euthanasia because we can picture ourselves in a life of unbearable
> > suffering.
> >
> > Question to Young, Wade, Trumpet, Wentsky, Bonney, Bobandcarole
> > et al: What drives your morality: why do you so often take positions
> > that demonstrate a lack of empathy?
>

> Ummmm....I would imagine they are driven by egotism, tempered by their
> own gross stupidity and morbid fears of losing privileges, real or
> imagined.

My original hypothesis was that they are

motivated by fear of God with whom they appear to have a
master-slave as opposed to a father-son type of relationship.
However there are plenty of liberal Christians like Craig Chilton
and those who work for charities like Christian Aid helping
less fortunate people.

I agree with the observation made by Bertrand Russel:
"If a man is offered a fact which goes against his instincts,
he will scrutinize it closely, and unless the evidence is
overwhelming, he will refuse to believe it. If, on the other hand,
he is offered something which affords a reason for acting
in accordance to his instincts, he will accept it even on
the slightest evidence. The origin of myths is explained
in this way."

I think Christians generally interpret the Bible in accordance

with their individual psyches. Liberal christians pay most
attention to the passages that promote compassion and
benevolence. Republican Christians apparantly pay most
attention to the passages that support their wish to gratuitously
restrict individual freedom.

Stu Gotz

Jun 10, 2006, 1:45:47 PM6/10/06

"Dave" <prp...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I have no sympathy for vicious criminals, drug abusers, and moral wastes.
Their actions are the results of personal decisions However, I do have
empathy for the elderly, the handicapped, the mentally disabled, the ill,
and I do believe that money should be spent to help legitimate cases of
need. I have no use for dogmaticism, so I have no use for either party.

The lazy assed, fat cat politicians need to get off their fat asses, take a
look around at how far this country has declined, and start using common
sense, instead of dogma to make decisions.

james g. keegan jr.

Jun 10, 2006, 3:34:43 PM6/10/06
In article <25ak82910hodk2a6d...@4ax.com>,
Attila2 <proc...@here.now> wrote:

> On 9 Jun 2006 17:39:31 -0700, "Dave" <prp...@hotmail.com> in
> alt.abortion with message-id
> <1149899970....@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> Off topic spam.
>

> What does this have to do with abortion or the Freedom of Choice?

you continue to demonstrate your ignorance of usenet newsgroups,
scumball, and your disrespect for readers' ability to decide for
themselves what is and is not appropriate.

do you feel like a hypocrite criticizing others for doing what you
do? even osprey has legitimately commented on your hypocrisy.

your hypocrisy aside, what you might want to do to make yourself feel
like an even bigger asshole is take a random sample of posts you've
whined about and then search google for the number of posts with this
topic, demonstrating that readers know what is of interest to them
far better than you do.

TheNIGHTCRAWLER

Jun 10, 2006, 3:49:05 PM6/10/06

Stu Gotz wrote:

> I have no sympathy for vicious criminals, drug abusers, and moral wastes.
> Their actions are the results of personal decisions However, I do have
> empathy for the elderly, the handicapped, the mentally disabled, the ill,
> and I do believe that money should be spent to help legitimate cases of
> need.

Spend all of your own money that you want too, Spew Blotz.

But you lib-turds would rather spend other peoples money, right?

Katie Lynn

Jun 10, 2006, 5:34:03 PM6/10/06

Dave wrote:

"Evil is the absence of empathy"
Dr Gilbert, Chief Psychologist, Nuremberg

--
Dr. Kathleen F. Lynn
Chief Medical Officer- ICA-1916

"Give *Us* the future, we've had enough of your past. Give us back our
country, to live in , to grow in, to love."
Michael Collins, A Rebel with a Cause

Miriam Cohen

Jun 10, 2006, 5:34:33 PM6/10/06

My dad used to say "Common sense isn't" and he was correct, it's most
uncommon these days. :(

--
L'Chaim

Miriam

In the beginning
the Word already was.

Dave

Jun 10, 2006, 6:06:14 PM6/10/06

Stu Gotz wrote:
> "Dave" <prp...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Beyond all the rhetoric it seems to me that the main driving force
> > behind liberal morality is empathy. For example we support the
> > right to abortion because we* can imagine ourselves in the shoes of a
> > woman forced to endure pregnancy and childbirth in order to live
> > a life other than the one she has planned for herself. We do not
> > empathize with zygotes or embryos for the same reason we
> > don't empathize with plants, rivers or minerals.
> >
> > We also support equal rights for homosexuals and other minorities
> > because we can imagine ourselves in the shoes of people being
> > verbally abused or discriminated against. We support voluntarily
> > euthanasia because we can picture ourselves in a life of unbearable
> > suffering.
> >
> > Question to Young, Wade, Trumpet, Wentsky, Bonney, Bobandcarole
> > et al: What drives your morality: why do you so often take positions
> > that demonstrate a lack of empathy?
>
> I have no sympathy for vicious criminals, drug abusers, and moral wastes.
> Their actions are the results of personal decisions

I still find I have sympathy with victims of their own stupidity but
tend to
feel anger towards callous criminals. Those are my instinctive
I am less certain whether they are the most appropriate. What exactly
do
you mean by "moral wastes"?

> However, I do have
> empathy for the elderly, the handicapped, the mentally disabled, the ill,
> and I do believe that money should be spent to help legitimate cases of
> need. I have no use for dogmaticism, so I have no use for either party.

The tendency towards knee jerk reactions and biased interpretation of
the evidence is endemic throughout the political spectrum. I don't
trust
any party to take a dispassionate look at what works rather than what
best fits their ideology but at the same time I have no doubt which is
the least worst of the two main US parties.

Peacenik

Jun 10, 2006, 11:15:56 PM6/10/06
"Dave" <prp...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Question to Young, Wade, Trumpet, Wentsky, Bonney, Bobandcarole
> et al: What drives your morality: why do you so often take positions
> that demonstrate a lack of empathy?

A deep-seated sense of inferiority and inadequacy, resulting in an
all-consuming need to feel superior to others. In addition, there's most
likely plenty of Christian fundamentalist brainwashing by their parents.

Peacenik

Jun 10, 2006, 11:21:09 PM6/10/06
"TheNIGHTCRAWLER" <thenigh...@softhome.net> wrote in message

No, just yours.

Miriam Cohen

Jun 11, 2006, 1:03:58 AM6/11/06

You know, these ERWBDCs are always bitching about "tax and spend"
Democrats, while those they worship "borrow and spend" us right into the
poorhouse. His whine about helping people in need would fall on softer
ears if his idols weren't dishing out all our money in a failed attempt
at "bringing democracy" to Iraq.

stoney

Jun 16, 2006, 12:24:53 PM6/16/06
On 9 Jun 2006 17:39:31 -0700, "Dave" <prp...@hotmail.com> wrote in
alt.atheism

Wannabe control freaks.

--
Fundies and trolls are cordially invited to
shove a wooden cross up their arses and rotate

thenigh...@fastmail.fm

Jun 20, 2006, 8:53:25 PM6/20/06

Miriam Cohen wrote:
> Peacenik wrote:
> > "TheNIGHTCRAWLER" <thenigh...@softhome.net> wrote in message

> > wastes.

> > ill,

> >>Spend all of your own money that you want too, Spew Blotz.
> >>
> >>But you lib-turds would rather spend other peoples money, right?
> >

> > No, just yours.
>
> You know, these ERWBDCs are always bitching about "tax and spend"
> Democrats, while those they worship "borrow and spend" us right into the
> poorhouse.

You're in the poor house because you're stupid.

> His whine about helping people in need would fall on softer
> ears if his idols weren't dishing out all our money in a failed attempt
> at "bringing democracy" to Iraq.

What are you babbling about, stupid?

thenigh...@fastmail.fm

Jun 20, 2006, 8:54:47 PM6/20/06