Poser or Character Studio? (Do I need both?)

John

Jul 2, 2002, 6:02:05 PM7/2/02
Hi -

I've just started dabbling with 3D packages, and had a question:

Does Character Studio basically do everything Poser 4 does (or Poser
Pro Pack)?

Do I need both?

I've fooled around with the Poser 4 demo and like its ease of use. I'm
not looking for high-end, pro-quality meshes, so I'm not looking for
really complicated software.

What's the difference between Character Studio and Poser 4 anyway?

Thanks for any tips.

John
arcana...@yahoo.com

Mark

Jul 2, 2002, 7:08:29 PM7/2/02
Poser 4 is mainly a character modeling and animation package (although you
can make other objects with it) It is targeted at less high end users (hence
its cost) and for somebody who is not looking for complexity, then Poser is
a clear winner.

Poser Pro Pack is an addon for Poser that has some nice added features (more
indepth animation etc) and makes Poser a little more powerfull, it also
contains the export plugin that allows you to work back and forth between
Poser and 3DStudio Max (and Lightwave I think) This for example would allow
you to animate and build your character inside Poser and then export it to
3DStudio Max to add to your scene.

Character Studio is an addon/plugin for 3DStudio Max, and will not operate
without Max...This as you can work out is the most expensive option as not
only do you have to buy a copy of 3DStudio Max you also have to buy
Character Studio, which together are going to set you back a whole heap of
money (although you can get a bundled price). Saying this though, Character
Studio with 3DSmax is the most powerfull animation system out of what you
have mentioned. Not only do you have Character Studio, which will allow you
to animate anything from a Human to an alligator, you also have the near
infinite power of 3DSmax as well.

So, as a rundown, if your not really very seriouse about 3D, but you want
pleasing results that will look good, I would suggest just getting Poser.
You will only really have character animation and simple scenery, but saying
that, I have a friend who uses Poser who produces very indepth animations
with characters and scenery all produced in Poser. You can also download
and/or buy quite alot of ready made "props" for Poser...ie. Buildings,
Cloths,Characters, Jewelry etc etc. that will have you building scenes quite
quickly.....Of course if in the near future you decide that Poser is
becomming a little limited once you know it inside out, then go and get
ProPack as well...I think its currently selling for $250 so its not a huge
upgrade cost for poser. All in all Poser is easy to use, not difficult to
master and produces good results quickly and effectivley. But lacks the
depth of control and manipulation that is avaliable in 3DS Max

However, if your seriouse about 3D, and you want to be able to produce all
sorts of varied 3D animation and stills work, then I would seriously suggest
saving up for a copy of 3DS Max (still retailing in some places for around
$3495.00!!) It has its own Bones and IK system which allows for full
animation of characters etc, however you can get Character Studio, which
takes alot of the stress out of character animation...Max is incredibly
expensive, but it is one of the best 3D packages on the market, its
intuitive, very powerfull...has a HUGE community of users...TONS of plugins
(free and commercial) and is capable of producing the kind of stuff people
get into 3D for. It is used in films, games, advertising etc. etc. It is a
large investment, so you really have to be quite seriouse about wanting to
persue 3D....however, there are plenty of home-hobbiests who use Max as
well...

Anyway, after all this I hope you have a better understanding of your
choices. If as you say your not really too seriouse about 3D and you dont
have nearly $4000 in your pocket (or likley to have soon) I would go with
Poser....you will be up and running within half an hour and be able to
produce pleasing and interesting 3D. Even if you go with Poser, maybe it
will ignite your interest in 3D a little more and you will want to move on
to another higher range 3D package or 3DStudio Max in the future, once you
decide you have a deeper interest.

Other cheaper end 3D software that you might want to explore a little to
gain knowledge and interest in 3D are....

MilkShape 3D - A free 3D studio that is capable of modelling and rendering:
Is used alot by the Half-Life game Mod community to model for their games
Its quite fun, not too seriouse and whats more ITS FREE!!
http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/

Cinema4D - A fairly powerfull 3D platform that comes in a range of
versions...anything from £85.00 (Cinema4D GO) good for begginers all the way
up to £1187 (Cinema 4D XL) which is their top of the range platform. I have
seen some very good work produced with Cinema 4D
http://www.maxon.net/

TrueSpace - Yet another 3D studio that is cheap but powefull...it includes a
strong NURBS moddeling setup and is capable of very good results.
TrueSpace 3 = $99.00 / TrueSpace 4 = $199.00 / TrueSpace 5 = $395.00 /
TrueSpace 6 = $495.00
http://www.caligari.com/store/trueSpace/default.asp?Cate=STtrueSpace

Correl Bryce - Same people who make Poser, Bryce is more of a landscape
production/animation tool than a whole 3D studio, but its very good at what
it does
http://www3.corel.com/cgi-bin/gx.cgi/AppLogic+FTContentServer?pagename=Corel
/Product/Details&id=CC1M72VRBAC

Hope this is of some help to you

Mark

"John" <arcana...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

KIm

Jul 2, 2002, 7:35:27 PM7/2/02

"Mark" <ma...@nospam.com> wrote in message

> Poser 4 is mainly a character modeling and animation package (although you
> can make other objects with it) It is targeted at less high end users
(hence
> its cost) and for somebody who is not looking for complexity, then Poser
is
> a clear winner.

<<SNIPPED>>

Let me congratulate you on an excellent answer. You have just about covered
all of the many questions I had.

Good post.

Nice one!

Kim