"Icing the Kicker"...and THROWING AWAY TIMEOUTS!!!

John Kilgore

Nov 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/23/97

marjy wrote:

> I have to wonder about the logic of throwing away our last two timeouts
> to try to "ice" Auburn's kicker. If one second is left, I'm all for it,
> but that threw away any hope of coming back if the field goal was good.
>
> After Scissum's gutsy return with the penalty, Bama would have had time
> to run at least one play with a timeout.
Alabama did run a play, a field goal attempt. There is not a chance in
the world BAMA would have had a shot with another time out. It was a
good call. Holmes had never kicked a game winner in his 2 years at
Auburn. This was the biggest spot he had ever been in in his football
career. Giving him another two minutes to think about it was exactly
what DuBose needed to do. The time outs were not needed if Holmes made
the kick. We were just as lucky to be in position to try a kick as
Auburn had been. Brother Oliver may not have had a good night but he
certainly knows how to defend a 'Hail Mary".

marjy

Nov 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/23/97

Scott from B'ham

Nov 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/23/97

16 at the kickoff and 6 after Scissum was tackled. So to answer your
question...6 seconds to run a play.

Scott from B'ham

the nortons

Nov 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/23/97

if they don't use the time outs to ice the kicker they take them home with
them.

Scott from B'ham <hall...@mindspring.com> wrote in article
<658nnn$u...@camel18.mindspring.com>...

John Kilgore

Nov 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/23/97

> (snip)
> Were there 16 or 6 seconds left after Scissum's kick return? I've
> forgotten. If there were 16, then Bama COULD have pulled off a quick
> play (a slant across the middle...) and called a timeout. If there were
> only 6 seconds left, then I agree with John...more than one play could
> not have been run.
>
> What Dubose should have done was to use ONE timeout to try to ice the
> kicker, saving one in the event a miracle happened when Bama got the
> ball back.
>
> Mark
With the crew that was working this game and the time they take to do
anything...unless BAMA had at least 30 seconds you couln't count on a
play.

Jeff Rogers

Nov 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/23/97

On Sun, 23 Nov 1997 08:33:26 -0600, "the nortons" <nor...@HiWAAY.net>
wrote:

I agree. In retrospect, it probably would have been a good idea to
run the play clock down to 1 second on the third down play, then call
one of our last two timeouts to try to think a little bit more about
what to do... maybe cooler heads would have prevailed and we would
have run Shaun Alexander one more time.

That's easy to think of now, but it didn't occur to me during the
game. I would have iced the kicker.

--
Jeff Rogers
http://jwrogers.home.mindspring.com/

m&j

Nov 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/23/97

John Kilgore wrote:
> Alabama did run a play, a field goal attempt. There is not a chance in
> the world BAMA would have had a shot with another time out. It was a
> good call. Holmes had never kicked a game winner in his 2 years at
> Auburn. This was the biggest spot he had ever been in in his football
> career. Giving him another two minutes to think about it was exactly
> what DuBose needed to do. The time outs were not needed if Holmes made
> the kick. We were just as lucky to be in position to try a kick as
> Auburn had been. Brother Oliver may not have had a good night but he
> certainly knows how to defend a 'Hail Mary".

Were there 16 or 6 seconds left after Scissum's kick return? I've

Haaaba9

Nov 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/24/97

Good point. I remember wondering that too.

-JH

Haaaba9

Nov 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/24/97

Yeah. Poor guy. He should have just downed the ball, or maybe he should have
been TOLD to just down the ball.

Hindsight 20-20, of course.

-JH