Tracking reading with multiple books

Aaron Maras

Oct 20, 2013, 5:27:53 AM10/20/13
to akra...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone come up with a good way to track reading progress when you have multiple books on the go at once?

Simply tracking page numbers doesn't work unless you have one goal per book (impractical). Even tracking the sum of page numbers gets iffy when you throw ebooks into the mix, since kindle locations don't map 1:1 to page numbers and not many kindle books have "real page numbers".

The obvious answer is to track time spent reading, but this rubs against the grain for me - I don't want to turn reading into another block in my schedule, rather make sure that I fit some book-reading somewhere in my day. And tracking time spent will encourage one block of reading per day rather than several shorter sessions - this seems undesirable to me.

Any ideas?

Alex Strick van Linschoten

Oct 20, 2013, 5:44:04 AM10/20/13
to akra...@googlegroups.com
I think for that you need the 0 as odometer resets. "odom" in the custom goal settings. That should solve the problem. Either that in beeminder, or use something like Goodreads to track your reading alongside their 'yearly challenge'. I pair up goodreads with beeminder to keep me honest.