ANNOUNCE: Akka 1.3-RC2 fresh from the oven!

√iktor Ҡlang

Dec 5, 2011, 4:31:50 PM12/5/11
to Akka User List, akka...@googlegroups.com, scala-user
Dear hAkkers,

 we, the Akka committers, are proud to announce Akka 1.3-RC2!

 What is Akka?

 Akka is the platform for the next generation event-driven, scalable and
 fault-tolerant architectures on the JVM.

 Akka implements a unique hybrid of:
 Actors, which gives you:
 Simple and high-level abstractions for concurrency and parallelism.
 Asynchronous, non-blocking and highly performant event-driven programming model.
 Very lightweight event-driven threads (create ~13 million actors on 8 G RAM).
 High-availability through supervisor hierarchies with let-it-crash
 semantics. Excellent for writing highly fault-tolerant systems that never
 stop, systems that self-heal.
 Software Transactional Memory (STM).
 Transactors: combine actors and STM into transactional actors. Allows you
 to compose atomic message flows with automatic retry and rollback.
 Remote actors: highly performant distributed actors with remote
 supervision and error management.
 Agents & Dataflow Concurrency
 Java and Scala API.

 What’s new in 1.3-RC2?

 Akka 1.3-RC2 is more a maintenance release than a revolutionary step:
 I includes a couple of important bugfixes, and also a brand new
 0MQ integration kindly contributed by Karim Osman!

 Highlights:
 -0MQ integration - http://akka.io/docs/akka/1.3-RC2/scala/zeromq.html

 Release notes can be found here:

 http://akka.io/docs/akka/1.3-RC2/project/release-notes.html

 And closed tickets for this release candidate can be found in the issue tracker here:

https://www.assembla.com/spaces/akka/milestones/766543-1-3-rc2

 Documentation can be found here:

 http://akka.io/docs/

 The source code is on github. This release is tagged v1.3-RC2:

 https://github.com/jboner/akka/tree/v1.3-RC2

 https://github.com/jboner/akka-modules/tree/v1.3-RC2

 The Akka Maven repository is:

 http://akka.io/repository/

 Downloads can be found at:

 http://akka.io/downloads/

Enjoy!

Cheers,

--
Viktor Klang

Akka Tech Lead
Typesafe - Enterprise-Grade Scala from the Experts

Twitter: @viktorklang