[akka-user] Akka core size and scala actors vs akka actors

Peter Veentjer

May 7, 2010, 3:48:12 PM5/7/10
to akka-user
Hi Guy,

How much of Akka is needed when you only want to have the actors, transactors and stm functionality? So without all the remoting, jee, database storage functionality?

And what is the difference between the Scala and Akka actors?

Viktor Klang

May 7, 2010, 4:05:02 PM5/7/10
to akka...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 9:48 PM, Peter Veentjer <alarm...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Guy,

How much of Akka is needed when you only want to have the actors, transactors and stm functionality? So without all the remoting, jee, database storage functionality?

Basically akka-core.jar

And what is the difference between the Scala and Akka actors?

About 400% performance ;-)

Scala Actors are continuation-based and use exceptions for control flow.
Akka Actors are more like Lift actors in the way that they do not allow for nesting receives.

Viktor Klang
| "A complex system that works is invariably
| found to have evolved from a simple system
| that worked." - John Gall

Akka - the Actor Kernel: Akkasource.org
Twttr: twitter.com/viktorklang

Dustin Whitney

May 7, 2010, 4:08:56 PM5/7/10
to akka...@googlegroups.com
Don't forget you get supervisor hierarchies, easier remoting, clustering, and transactors.   You can now sorta serialize an actor as well (you serialize the ActorRef), which IMHO is a big deal (been bit by that dragon).

Peter Veentjer

May 7, 2010, 5:27:08 PM5/7/10
to akka...@googlegroups.com

Basically akka-core.jar

Ok, thanks.. Will check it out.

About 400% performance ;-)

Scala Actors are continuation-based and use exceptions for control flow.

Doesn't need to be a bad thing. I do the same thing in Multiverse on read/write conflicts and
other control flow like the retry or speculative execution failures. As long as you cache the
transaction, control flow through an exception the performance is very good.  And in Multiverse
in most executions you are not likely to encounter these exceptions. So they only make up a
small percentage of the total number of executions.

In Multiverse ControlFlowErrors are cached by default.

I'm also looking at supporting continuations eventually. Atm the transaction is retried if it somehow
is obstructed by another thread even though it could have a chance to complete. So if you
could store the continuation and restore it later when the contention probably is solved,
stm performance could be improved (especially for long running transactions).

All depends of course on how efficient that continuation mechanism is implemented.

http://weblogs.java.net/blog/forax/archive/2009/11/19/holy-crap-jvm-has-coroutinecontinuationfiber-etc