ANN: Akka 0.6 is released

Jonas Bonér

Jan 5, 2010, 8:33:03 AM1/5/10
to Akka User List
Hi.

I am proud to announce the release of Akka 0.6. It is a major release in many ways.
Many people have made this happen. Especially the great team but also many of the users on the mailing list.
Thank you all.

Download Akka 0.6 here.

The full release notes is available at here, but here is a summary of the highlights.
  • New STM impl with a declarative, a high-order fun and a monadic API
  • New persistence module backends; Redis, Cassandra, MongoDB, works with STM
  • Much improved performance; Akka is now 2-3 times faster than Scala Actors (both event and thread-based) in http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/ benchmark.
  • Much improved memory footprint; an Actor consumes ~600 bytes, can now create 6.5 million on 4 G RAM
  • Much improved Remote Actors; reconnect, compression, implicit sender, supervision across nodes etc.
  • Comet bindings for Actors
  • REST bindings for Actors
  • Cluster Membership protocol; nodes find each other automatically, simple API
  • Security module; HTTP digest and Kerberos
  • Many new Serializers; SBinary, JSON, Protobuf etc.
  • AMQP integration
  • Lift integration
  • Spring integration (in progress)
  • Guice integration
  • Microkernel

Feedback is most welcome. Join the mailing list and help us make it better.

Thanks.
--
Jonas Bonér

twitter: @jboner
blog:    http://jonasboner.com
work:   http://scalablesolutions.se
code:   http://github.com/jboner
code:   http://akkasource.org
also:    http://letitcrash.com

Debasish Ghosh

Jan 5, 2010, 8:36:29 AM1/5/10
to akka...@googlegroups.com
Great job Jonas!

- Debasish

Debasish Ghosh
http://manning.com/ghosh

Twttr: @debasishg
Blog: http://debasishg.blogspot.com
Code: http://github.com/debasishg

Jonas Bonér

Jan 5, 2010, 8:39:58 AM1/5/10
to akka...@googlegroups.com
Thanks.
Great job Debasish!! :-)

Viktor Klang

Jan 5, 2010, 8:41:11 AM1/5/10
to akka...@googlegroups.com
Wohoo!

Great job guys!

Beers for all!

Viktor Klang
| "A complex system that works is invariably
| found to have evolved from a simple system
| that worked." - John Gall

Blog: klangism.blogspot.com
Twttr: twitter.com/viktorklang
Code: github.com/viktorklang

Zach Cox

Jan 5, 2010, 9:08:50 AM1/5/10
to Akka User List
Congrats on the release, guys! Is Akka 0.6 available in any public
Maven repositories?

On Jan 5, 8:41 am, Viktor Klang <viktor.kl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Wohoo!
>
> Great job guys!
>
> Beers for all!
>

> On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Jonas Bonér <jo...@jonasboner.com> wrote:
> > Hi.
>
> > I am proud to announce the release of Akka 0.6. It is a major release in
> > many ways.

> > Many people have made this happen. Especially the great team<http://doc.akkasource.org/team> but

> > also many of the users on the mailing list.
> > Thank you all.
>

> > Download Akka 0.6 here<http://cloud.github.com/downloads/jboner/akka/akka-0.6.zip>
> > .
>
> > The full release notes is available at here<http://doc.akkasource.org/release-notes>,

> > but here is a summary of the highlights.
>

> >    - New STM impl with a declarative, a high-order fun and a monadic API
> >    - New persistence module backends; Redis, Cassandra, MongoDB, works
> >    with STM
> >    - Much improved performance; Akka is now 2-3 times faster than Scala

> >    Actors (both event and thread-based) in
> >    http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/benchmark.

> >    - Much improved memory footprint; an Actor consumes ~600 bytes, can now

> >    create 6.5 million on 4 G RAM

> >    - Much improved Remote Actors; reconnect, compression, implicit sender,
> >    supervision across nodes etc.
> >    - Comet bindings for Actors
> >    - REST bindings for Actors
> >    - Cluster Membership protocol; nodes find each other automatically,
> >    simple API
> >    - Security module; HTTP digest and Kerberos
> >    - Many new Serializers; SBinary, JSON, Protobuf etc.
> >    - AMQP integration
> >    - Lift integration
> >    - Spring integration (in progress)
> >    - Guice integration
> >    - Microkernel
>
> > New home athttp://akkasource.org
> >  <http://akkasource.org>New docs athttp://doc.akkasource.org
> > New tutorial athttp://jonasboner.com/2010/01/04/introducing-akka.html

> > Feedback is most welcome. Join the mailing list and help us make it better.
>
> > Thanks.
> > --
> > Jonas Bonér
>
> > twitter: @jboner
> > blog:    http://jonasboner.com
> > work:  http://scalablesolutions.se
> > code:  http://github.com/jboner
> > code:  http://akkasource.org
> > also:    http://letitcrash.com
>
> >  --

> > akka-user+...@googlegroups.com<akka-user%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>

Jonas Bonér

Jan 5, 2010, 9:20:41 AM1/5/10
to akka...@googlegroups.com
2010/1/5 Zach Cox <zco...@gmail.com>
Congrats on the release, guys!  Is Akka 0.6 available in any public
Maven repositories?

Thanks. We are trying to get it in to scala-tools.org.
But I could perhaps throw up a Maven repo at scalablesolutions.se for now.
I'll do that later today.

Zach Cox

Jan 5, 2010, 9:26:28 AM1/5/10
to akka...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jonas, no rush! Just thinking that long-term, throwing a
couple deps in a pom is easier than downloading & mvn installing the
entire code base. :) Which I'm doing right now since I'm really
excited to start learning about Akka.

Also - thanks for writing the Introducing Akka post, it's a great way
for n00bs like me to get started.

Sébastien Pierre

Jan 5, 2010, 9:37:36 AM1/5/10
to akka...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

Does anybody managed to compile this release with Maven ? When I do a "mvn package" I get 3 missing artifacts

1) sbinary:sbinary:jar:0.3
2) voldemort.store.compress:h2-lzf:jar:1.0
3) sjson.json:sjson:jar:0.3

Is there a single .jar file with all the dependencies that could be found somewhere ?

 -- Sébastien

Eckart Hertzler

Jan 5, 2010, 9:41:55 AM1/5/10
to akka...@googlegroups.com

Congratulations!

(and many happy returns)

Eckart

Am Dienstag, 5. Januar 2010 14:33:03 schrieb Jonas Bonér:
> Hi.
>
> I am proud to announce the release of Akka 0.6. It is a major release in
> many ways.
> Many people have made this happen. Especially the great

> team<http://doc.akkasource.org/team> but

> also many of the users on the mailing list.
> Thank you all.
>
> Download Akka 0.6

> here<http://cloud.github.com/downloads/jboner/akka/akka-0.6.zip>

> .
>
> The full release notes is available at

> here<http://doc.akkasource.org/release-notes>,

> but here is a summary of the highlights.
>

> - New STM impl with a declarative, a high-order fun and a monadic API
> - New persistence module backends; Redis, Cassandra, MongoDB, works with
> STM
> - Much improved performance; Akka is now 2-3 times faster than Scala

> Actors (both event and thread-based) in
> http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/ benchmark.

> - Much improved memory footprint; an Actor consumes ~600 bytes, can now

> create 6.5 million on 4 G RAM

> - Much improved Remote Actors; reconnect, compression, implicit sender,
> supervision across nodes etc.

> - Comet bindings for Actors
> - REST bindings for Actors

> - Cluster Membership protocol; nodes find each other automatically,
> simple API

> - Security module; HTTP digest and Kerberos
> - Many new Serializers; SBinary, JSON, Protobuf etc.
> - AMQP integration
> - Lift integration
> - Spring integration (in progress)
> - Guice integration

> - Microkernel

> New home at http://akkasource.org
> <http://akkasource.org>New docs at http://doc.akkasource.org
> New tutorial at http://jonasboner.com/2010/01/04/introducing-akka.html
>
> Feedback is most welcome. Join the mailing list and help us make it better.
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Jonas Bonér
>
> twitter: @jboner
> blog: http://jonasboner.com
> work: http://scalablesolutions.se
> code: http://github.com/jboner
> code: http://akkasource.org
> also: http://letitcrash.com

Jonas Bonér

Jan 5, 2010, 9:42:19 AM1/5/10
to akka...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

They are in the distribution/embedded-repo in the the embedded maven repository.
Just do the following:
* Set AKKA_HOME to the root of the dist
* Invoke 'maven install'

Let me know if that doesn't work

/Jonas

Viktor Klang

Jan 5, 2010, 9:42:19 AM1/5/10
to akka...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

you should try do a "mvn clean install" in the $AKKA_HOME dir.

Does that help?

Zach Cox

Jan 5, 2010, 9:43:36 AM1/5/10
to akka...@googlegroups.com
I did mvn install -Dmaven.skip.test=true, as suggested in
http://jonasboner.com/2010/01/04/introducing-akka.html, and it
generated a 27MB .jar which I assume has all dependencies.

Jonas Bonér

Jan 5, 2010, 9:46:29 AM1/5/10
to akka...@googlegroups.com

2010/1/5 Zach Cox <zco...@gmail.com>

I did mvn install -Dmaven.skip.test=true, as suggested in
http://jonasboner.com/2010/01/04/introducing-akka.html, and it
generated a 27MB .jar which I assume has all dependencies.

Right. This JAR is both the microkernel (start with 'java -jar akka-0.6.jar') and the lib to use in whatever app you want.

2010/1/5 Sébastien Pierre <sebastie...@gmail.com>:
> Hi there,
> Does anybody managed to compile this release with Maven ? When I do a "mvn
> package" I get 3 missing artifacts
> 1) sbinary:sbinary:jar:0.3
> 2) voldemort.store.compress:h2-lzf:jar:1.0
> 3) sjson.json:sjson:jar:0.3
> Is there a single .jar file with all the dependencies that could be found
> somewhere ?
>  -- Sébastien

Jeanfrancois Arcand

Jan 5, 2010, 10:01:45 AM1/5/10
to akka...@googlegroups.com
Great work!!!!

-- Jeanfrancois

On 05/01/10 8:33 AM, Jonas Bonér wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I am proud to announce the release of Akka 0.6. It is a major release in
> many ways.
> Many people have made this happen. Especially the great team

> <http://doc.akkasource.org/team> but also many of the users on the

> mailing list.
> Thank you all.
>
> Download Akka 0.6 here

> <http://cloud.github.com/downloads/jboner/akka/akka-0.6.zip>.

> The full release notes is available at here

> <http://doc.akkasource.org/release-notes>, but here is a summary of the
> highlights.
>
> * New STM impl with a declarative, a high-order fun and a monadic API
> * New persistence module backends; Redis, Cassandra, MongoDB, works
> with STM
> * Much improved performance; Akka is now 2-3 times faster than Scala

> Actors (both event and thread-based) in
> http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/ benchmark.

> * Much improved memory footprint; an Actor consumes ~600 bytes, can

> now create 6.5 million on 4 G RAM

> * Much improved Remote Actors; reconnect, compression, implicit

> sender, supervision across nodes etc.

> * Comet bindings for Actors
> * REST bindings for Actors
> * Cluster Membership protocol; nodes find each other automatically,
> simple API
> * Security module; HTTP digest and Kerberos
> * Many new Serializers; SBinary, JSON, Protobuf etc.
> * AMQP integration
> * Lift integration
> * Spring integration (in progress)
> * Guice integration
> * Microkernel

> New home at http://akkasource.org
> <http://akkasource.org>New docs at http://doc.akkasource.org
> New tutorial at http://jonasboner.com/2010/01/04/introducing-akka.html
>
> Feedback is most welcome. Join the mailing list and help us make it better.
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Jonas Bonér
>
> twitter: @jboner
> blog: http://jonasboner.com
> work: http://scalablesolutions.se
> code: http://github.com/jboner
> code: http://akkasource.org
> also: http://letitcrash.com

Jonas Bonér

Jan 5, 2010, 10:18:10 AM1/5/10
to akka...@googlegroups.com

2010/1/5 Jeanfrancois Arcand <jfarca...@gmail.com>
Great work!!!!

Thanks. And thanks for your help and support.

Sébastien Pierre

Jan 5, 2010, 10:30:24 AM1/5/10
to akka...@googlegroups.com
That worked, thanks ! It might be a good idea to explain this on the documentation.

 -- Sébastien

Jonas Bonér

Jan 5, 2010, 10:36:29 AM1/5/10
to akka...@googlegroups.com
I'll do that. Thanks.

2010/1/5 Sébastien Pierre <sebastie...@gmail.com>

Jonas Bonér

Jan 5, 2010, 10:53:18 AM1/5/10
to akka...@googlegroups.com
Just added a 'Getting Started' page.

Let me know if there is anything missing.

/Jonas

rossputin

Jan 5, 2010, 11:10:54 AM1/5/10
to Akka User List
Great to see the release made, great work!

-- Ross