[aida] Could Comanche be used as base for AIDA ?

Edgar J. De Cleene

Jun 23, 2008, 5:38:47 AM6/23/08
to AIDA/Web general discussion list
Folks:

Sorry if I was the odd here, but I think using Comanche instead of Swazoo
could be good.

Any do this ?

Edgar

Janko Mivšek

Jun 23, 2008, 5:44:36 AM6/23/08
to AIDA/Web general discussion list
Hi Edgar,

Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> Sorry if I was the odd here, but I think using Comanche instead of Swazoo
> could be good.

Where do you see merits to complicate a life with supporting yet another
Smalltalk web server, when Swazoo is just good enough if not better
comparing to others?

Consider also its portability (Commanche is Squeak only).

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Edgar J. De Cleene

Jun 23, 2008, 10:17:12 AM6/23/08

El 6/23/08 6:44 AM, "Janko Mivšek" <janko....@eranova.si> escribió:

> Where do you see merits to complicate a life with supporting yet another
> Smalltalk web server, when Swazoo is just good enough if not better
comparing
> to others?

Consider also its portability (Commanche is Squeak only).

Janko:

Of course portability is important issue for many .
My trouble is still I can't attach any image file in Scribo, no matter Nico
help and my image could work in his computer but don't work in any of my
computers, Mac Tiger and Leopard, Linux or Windows.

I not sure if the trouble is with Swazoo, but I see he do new versions and
still I have the trouble.
Coming from trusted ComSwiki, I wish some superior and still Aida don't
help, but maybe is me.
Another think I have in Kom is the database of users and passwords for very
easy setup.

So I have some options.

1) Keep old ComSwiki
2) Adopt Seaside (too complicated for my needs)
3) Try again Aida, if Comanche could be the server base, maybe my troubles
end , keep your mind open.

Edgar

nico

Jun 23, 2008, 10:22:22 AM6/23/08
Le lundi 23 juin 2008 à 11:17 -0300, Edgar J. De Cleene a écrit :

> El 6/23/08 6:44 AM, "Janko Mivšek" <janko....@eranova.si> escribió:
>
> > Where do you see merits to complicate a life with supporting yet another
> > Smalltalk web server, when Swazoo is just good enough if not better
> comparing
> > to others?
>
> Consider also its portability (Commanche is Squeak only).
>
> Janko:
>

> Of course portability is important issue for many .
> My trouble is still I can't attach any image file in Scribo, no matter Nico
> help and my image could work in his computer but don't work in any of my
> computers, Mac Tiger and Leopard, Linux or Windows.

Don't worry, this bug will be fixed before the release of Scribo, I can
tell you that! Remember that Scribo is ot even released as a beta. It is
normal to find bugs.

> I not sure if the trouble is with Swazoo, but I see he do new versions and
> still I have the trouble.
> Coming from trusted ComSwiki, I wish some superior and still Aida don't
> help, but maybe is me.
> Another think I have in Kom is the database of users and passwords for very
> easy setup.
>
> So I have some options.
>
> 1) Keep old ComSwiki
> 2) Adopt Seaside (too complicated for my needs)
> 3) Try again Aida, if Comanche could be the server base, maybe my troubles
> end , keep your mind open.

No, Comanche cannot be used easily with Aida.

Nico

signature.asc

nico

Jun 23, 2008, 10:26:53 AM6/23/08
to AIDA/Web general discussion list
About this bug, can you give the full path of your jpg you want to
attach?

I'm still not sure, but I think that it's an encoding issue, because the
same image worked well with me and not with you.

What encoding do you use? utf8? do you have some special characters
(spanish accents, etc) in the path of your image?

Thanks,

Nico
--
Nicolas Petton
http://nico.bioskop.fr

signature.asc

Edgar J. De Cleene

Jun 23, 2008, 2:04:09 PM6/23/08

El 6/23/08 11:26 AM, "nico" <petton....@gmail.com> escribió:

> About this bug, can you give the full path of your jpg you want to
> attach?
>
> I'm still not sure, but I think that it's an encoding issue, because the
> same image worked well with me and not with you.
>
> What encoding do you use? utf8? do you have some special characters
> (spanish accents, etc) in the path of your image?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nico

Nico:

I very thanks you kindly help.
The trouble is not the .jpg or .gif and not as I think a Mac Tiger trouble.
I got a second hand MacMini Intel with Leopard and here and and my old
Pentium III running SymplyMepis I have the same walkback.

But is true some times utf8 cause troubles, specially in cases where the
files was old and originated on Mac.
This shows in last release candidates.

Masashi UMEZAWA

Jun 23, 2008, 7:56:00 PM6/23/08
to AIDA/Web general discussion list
Hi Edgar,

> I very thanks you kindly help.
> The trouble is not the .jpg or .gif and not as I think a Mac Tiger trouble.
> I got a second hand MacMini Intel with Leopard and here and and my old
> Pentium III running SymplyMepis I have the same walkback.
>
> But is true some times utf8 cause troubles, specially in cases where the
> files was old and originated on Mac.
> This shows in last release candidates.

I encountered the same problem in using multibyte filename on Japanese Windows.
I think Attachment>>setUrl should encode original filename to more neutral one.
URL encoding can be used, but Punycode like encoding would be better because
filename will be represented shorter.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punycode

I'll try this fix in a few days.

Cheers,
--
[:masashi | ^umezawa]

Edgar J. De Cleene

Jun 24, 2008, 5:37:18 AM6/24/08

El 6/23/08 8:56 PM, "Masashi UMEZAWA" <masashi...@gmail.com> escribió:

> Hi Edgar,
>
>> I very thanks you kindly help.
>> The trouble is not the .jpg or .gif and not as I think a Mac Tiger trouble.
>> I got a second hand MacMini Intel with Leopard and here and and my old
>> Pentium III running SymplyMepis I have the same walkback.
>>
>> But is true some times utf8 cause troubles, specially in cases where the
>> files was old and originated on Mac.
>> This shows in last release candidates.
>
> I encountered the same problem in using multibyte filename on Japanese
> Windows.
> I think Attachment>>setUrl should encode original filename to more neutral
> one.
> URL encoding can be used, but Punycode like encoding would be better because
> filename will be represented shorter.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punycode
>
> I'll try this fix in a few days.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> [:masashi | ^umezawa]

Masashi :

You mean you are doing a kind of Punycode converter for add to existents ?.
Being the author of one of my favorites (FileMan) , I can't wait !

Very thanks.

Edgar

Masashi UMEZAWA

Jun 24, 2008, 8:38:05 AM6/24/08

2008/6/24 Edgar J. De Cleene <edgard...@yahoo.com.ar>:

> You mean you are doing a kind of Punycode converter for add to existents ?.
> Being the author of one of my favorites (FileMan) , I can't wait !

Many thanks. ;-)

Before implementing a Punycode-like converter, I've put a version that uses
Base64 converter (because it is already available both in Squeak and VW).

So please try the version: Scribo-mu.105.mcz.
It's not an ideal solution but it works well for me.

Cheers,
--
[:masashi | ^umezawa]

Janko Mivšek

Jun 24, 2008, 1:21:44 PM6/24/08
to AIDA/Web general discussion list
Hi Masashi,

Masashi UMEZAWA wrote:

>> But is true some times utf8 cause troubles, specially in cases where the
>> files was old and originated on Mac.
>> This shows in last release candidates.
>
> I encountered the same problem in using multibyte filename on Japanese Windows.
> I think Attachment>>setUrl should encode original filename to more neutral one.
> URL encoding can be used, but Punycode like encoding would be better because
> filename will be represented shorter.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punycode
>
> I'll try this fix in a few days.

And to add another technique which is useful for Latin (but also Cyrilic
and Greek) is that every accented character is changed to non accented
pure ASCII one. For instance é is e, our č is c etc. Advantage of this
technique is that the result is perfectly readable, so we don't loose
too much meaning of the text. Punycode seems to loose more.

In Aida extensions you can see String>>asSloveneWithoutCircumflexes,
which is doing just that, but only for Slovenian letters čšž.

Is there some such converter already done? How is this technique
otherwise called?

Best regards
Janko