OpenAgile and related stuffs!

1 view

nhm tanveer hossain khan (hasan)

Feb 4, 2010, 10:41:55 PM2/4/10
to Agile Bangladesh
Guys!
can anyone enlighten me here? i've read an article yesterday on
OpenAgile,
which actually drew my attention, you can read it here -
http://www.agileadvice.com/2010/02/01/uncategorized/comparison-of-openagile-with-scrum/

it seems to me a combination of lean and scrum, they kept nearly
synonymous terms adhered from scrum world.
so far i can understand, they want to keep it open and collaborative.
where scrum is religiously maintaining all related practices & terms
otherwise inferior complexion is created through ScrumBut.
here is a peek from the blog -

....Another major difference between OpenAgile and Scrum is how the
community operates. OpenAgile is an open-source method that has a
specific structure for community involvement that allows for
continuous improvement of the system. Scrum is closed. It is closely
managed by it’s founders and this has led to challenges with the
method becoming dogmatic. OpenAgile is meant to constantly evolve and
grow.....

so it seems like OpenAgile will be an openly accepted ScrumBut. Sounds
to me cool! again,
i wish they will keep it as thin and more adaptive like lean (3
processes) & scrum (8/9 processes)

from my understanding, prescriptive process is always rigid and
provides less option to adapt companies own branded culture thus it
might fail or irritate everyone. or it might ended up with cloning the
same formal attitude.
probable this is the reason why most of the creative companies create
their own way to ensure everyone get's chance to be creative.

on the other side, less prescribed process such as lean can motivate
you to learn how to do better in what situation. gradually it helps
you to come up with your own process.
but one problem might happen, people used to pretend they understood
the principles very well, in reality, they actually didn't get it.
thus they miss use it. hence it becomes burden and becomes unstable.

it seems me, like writing all logic in View rather not understanding
why MVC (model view controller) and why those separations are needed.
MVC got very few principles (only 3 infact) but you got bunch of other
practices adhered from community, design patterns and technical
prophets (mentors ;)_)

best wishes,

Jesse Fewell

Feb 8, 2010, 11:06:57 AM2/8/10
to agi...@googlegroups.com
OpenAgile is the idea of Canadian Scrum trainer Mishkin Berteig (http://www.berteigconsulting.com/). The idea is simply this, to bring the ownership of Agile to the real people who actually use it. Many Agile practitioners believe the Agile movement is controlled by special interests like the Agile Alliance or the Scrum Alliance, and should instead be governed by more a democratic, open-source model.

It's a good idea, based on the relative success of the Open Unified Process (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenUP). In this case, IBM charges so much for the Rational Unified Process, there was a real financial incentive to simplify and distribute via open source. However, OpenAgile has yet to generate the even the small momentum that OpenUP has created. I think open source has proven itself most successful in products and services (e.g. Linux and Twitter). But when it comes to Agile PM, Scrum certification has been the most successful method for creating broad market adoption. Now, if someone were to find a way to offer an open-source Agile certification that is respected by businesses, THAT would be interesting.

So, although it is not a prevalent methodology, I do encourage you to contact Mishkin directly to learn his thoughts directly.
-jesse

best wishes,

nhm tanveer hossain khan (hasan)

Feb 8, 2010, 1:05:59 PM2/8/10
to Agile Bangladesh
Thanks jesse for the nice information :)_)