Monthly Salary

Anisur Rahman

Apr 19, 2010, 8:39:11 AM4/19/10
to Agile Bangladesh
Monthly salary of a Fresher Software Engineer is 5000 by BCC
internship. is this sufficient for a Software Engineer. I think its a
process to get benefited from Freshers of Software Firm.

S. M. Sohan

Apr 19, 2010, 11:19:53 PM4/19/10
to agi...@googlegroups.com
This is not a standard payment as a salary. However, as an intern I think this is aligned with the government standards... the MBBS doctors get similar amount :-( For some people, doing intern is an opportunity to learn. And as always, no one is forced to go for the BCC internship program. From the software companies' side, a company that underpays its employees eventually rectifies the practice or runs out of talents in today's world. Its self balancing.
--
Sohan
http://www.ucalgary.ca/~smsohan | http://smsohan.blogspot.com

Shaer Hassan

Apr 19, 2010, 11:45:08 PM4/19/10
to agi...@googlegroups.com
Probably it's not, but no one is forcing the intern to do it.

Interns or apprentices in no profession earn enough. They are under training, and expected to earn better when they complete the training period.

In IT profession internship is not mandatory, but in many profession (and many of them are high paying ones) e.g. Business, Chartered Accountant, Law, Merchant Marine, Airline Pilot etc. some kind of internship or apprenticeship is mandatory. And in that period either the intern pay to the company who facilitates the training, or work for free, or get quite low comparing to what they expect to earn when they are competent.

Ask yourself three questions. How much an average intern physician earn here? How much an average business graduate earns? How much a CA intern earns in his first 6 months?

If you (or whoever is dissatisfied with the BCC arrangement) are still not convinced, don't go for BCC internship, pursue for job directly. It's an open market, and let the market decide how much a candidate worth.

Md Mostofa Azad

Apr 19, 2010, 11:58:39 PM4/19/10
to agi...@googlegroups.com
Its really an internship and an opportunity to learn and an intern
should look to gain experience .

At the end of the day he should look at developing his skills and
trying to gain real life job experience which he can then use to his
advantage.

Kind regards,
Md Mostofa Azad

Tim Abbott

Apr 20, 2010, 12:06:13 AM4/20/10
to agi...@googlegroups.com
I don't have much to comment but the idea that this is taking advantage of an intern is a little far fetched.  It's common practice in the US and especially the valley and also, I'm not sure how productive an intern is going to be.  If he's really that productive, he won't be an intern, it's really that simple.  I've worked with some interns that were EXTREMELY dependent and others who were absolutely awesome.  The awesome ones continued to work part time, got paid as if they had graduated, and were offered positions upon graduation.

The cream always rises to the top and I'm not sure companies are using interns unless the intern is making them loads of money and getting paid an interns salary.  Not sure that happens too much if ever and if the intern walked out, they'd get a call back.  No one wants to lose someone extremely productive that he can afford.

--

Best Regards,

Tim Abbott | Chief Architect
Tasawr Interactive

P.O. Box 295672 - Riyadh 11351 - Kingdom of Saudi Arabia

"consistently excellent"

LEGAL CONFIDENTIAL: The information in this e-mail and in any attachment may contain information which is legally privileged. It is intended only for the attention and use of the named recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to retain, disclose, copy or distribute the message and/or any of its attachments. If you received this e-mail in error, please notify me and delete this message. Thank-you.

Anisur Rahman

Apr 20, 2010, 2:43:22 PM4/20/10
to agi...@googlegroups.com
Ok,

I agree that no need to join BCC internship.

But first time no software firm want us. Why?
They want experience. Where fresher get experience?

Raisul Kabir

Apr 21, 2010, 1:23:11 AM4/21/10
to agi...@googlegroups.com
Hello Bro,
I believe Agilebd is not the right place to discuss this. Please raise the question in SQABD, I believe that is a right place to discuss this.

Thanks.

Raisul

--------------------
Raisul Kabir, BrainStation-23
H-480, R-32, Mohakhali, New DOHS,
Dhaka, Bangladesh
cell: +8801713458492
email: rai...@brainstation-23.com rai...@gmail.com
skype: raisulk gtalk: rai...@brainstation-23.com

Muhammad Arifur Rahman

Apr 21, 2010, 3:21:46 AM4/21/10
to agi...@googlegroups.com
I think SQABD also cannot provide a right solution to this problem. Policy makers of BCC, "Ministry of Science and Information & Communication Technology" and Software companies can collectively contribute to solve it. Most of these trainees are CSE graduates from reputed universities in Bangladesh with high scores.They are the future of our software Industry.We cannot always expect that they will gain enough experience somehow from somewhere and will be candidate for a full time job.Providing them minimum facilities to survive in an expensive city like Dhaka and flourish their talents will benefit the software industry at the end.Bangladesh cannot be "Digital" automatically without enough software experts in the market.Hope the concerned authorities will realize the fact.

Thanks

Muhammad Arifur Rahman
Senior Software Engineer
Code71 Bangladesh LTD.
--
Muhammad Arifur Rahman
Senior Software Engineer

Shaer Hassan

Apr 21, 2010, 4:34:16 AM4/21/10
to agi...@googlegroups.com
Hello Anisur,

When they ask for experience they actually don't look for mere numbers referring to some years that you were attached with one company or the other. Rather they look for a two things in you

1. Passion for the subject (programming, networking, database... whatever is your specialization)
2. Capability to succeed (discipline, hard work, confidence, knowledge are some factors)
2. Some track record to support that you have both of above.

You can have these being even a fresher. Working for part time, working in good projects, learning from web, contributing to open source projects are some of the ways.

There is a gap between academic learning and industry need. We all need to work on that.

So, what should you do?

First, you should stop complaining. Then think what you can do to change your situation. What a one year experienced programmer has that you don't? How can you reduce the gap fast?

When you know what is required from a fresher, remember to get back to your university and tell your juniors how they need to be prepared when they will face job market.

Wish you all the best.

Shaer.

Foyzul Karim

Apr 21, 2010, 12:46:26 PM4/21/10
to agi...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone.
Interesting topics.
I agree with Shaer bhai 100%. I know a person who is currently doing job in a respective position of 2 companies at a time. He is not passed his graduation yet.How did he get the job? The main reasons are told by Shaer bhai. And i know some of my juniors (of university) doing outsourcing but campus is far from Dhaka (Rajshahi actually). Will they have any kind of problem when they search for job? I don't think so. So, what i believe is, if anyone loves his work, he doesn't have to worry about getting a job. The job will search for him. I guess, most of the seniors of this group will agree with this.

Thank you.
Foyzul Karim
Programmer
The Databiz Software Limited
Dhaka
Bangladesh

Sudipta K Paik

Apr 21, 2010, 11:05:11 AM4/21/10
to agi...@googlegroups.com
I also agree with Anisur Rahman. Because I am same sufferer.
One Software firm select me. They say there policy to me. At that time I say I will go to Europe if I get chance for higher Education. Only for this they remove me from their list! I complete training from BASIS on OOP. Now I am able to develop desktop and web application. But any company not select me , because I have no experience on software Firm.

Why this is the situation of Bangladesh?

Mithun Sarker

Apr 21, 2010, 11:43:06 AM4/21/10
to agi...@googlegroups.com

@Raisul: I was also thinking if this is right place to talk about this at all or not. Even SQABD is not I think the appropiate place. To be true I don't think that we have place to talk about this... rather we should have a ICT discussion forum. i am not sure if we have something like that :)

@Anis: I agree that 5K is may not be engough in these days becasue of economic inflation I am personally experiencing for last couple of years. But that really depends that how much facilities are provided by the company. Sometimes they provied transport / food which covers a lot I think for fresher. But without any support I think 5K is may be bit tight. I am really not interested to talk about political view... but this topic in some extend related to out infrastructure, provided by government (who Ever ??#$@^^# we have there). Because company must also think about their own costing... including the fuel cost for the generator.

@Shaer Hassan: u r exactly right... but the thing is "Capability to succeed " is measurable. i have seen lot of guys known as programmers writing some real "ZERO" quality code. U r absolutely right that industry need is different. Then we have the problem in our educational system where much more 3 yr diploma type course would given better resources. Sorry... this is turning into infrastructural issue again. We think diploma is a bogus thing... where in other countries diploma course is very effective for core professional sector. May be I am wrong on my conception, forgive me for that. So I think only in a professional place like a firm u can measure the true "Capability to succeed”  The point is that u must fail to learn... but without any failure there is nothing called learning. But we have to know what or which is a failure.

But I completely agree the fact of  "Passion for the subject" with u Shaer and also with Mr. Tim. True skill must come out in any way.

May some people get bit jeopardized by my words, but i m saying my feeling. I would like to make it discussable subject for the government authority and like them to think a fact that... "Reward is is courage of the success. Not only by cash also by respect. And discipline is guide line for right path."

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 2:34 PM, Shaer Hassan <shaer...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
..:.:: Mithun Sarker

:.:.:: Phone: +8801819201288
.::.:: E-mail: bd.ms...@gmail.com
.:.:.: MSN: bd.mS...@live.com
....:: Gtalk: bd.mS...@gmail.com
:::.:: Skype: bd.mSarker

srayhan

Apr 21, 2010, 2:02:05 PM4/21/10
to Agile Bangladesh
@Anis, and @Sudipta, I understand that you guys are confused given the
situation. It may seem chicken and egg problem (need experience to get
a job, need a job to get experience), right? From traditional
perspective, yes you are right. However, there are many things you can
do to gain experience now-a-days. For example, you can find a mentor
who can show you what else to learn beyond what you are learning in
the university. You can contribute to open source projects. You can
try and freelance on sites like getacoder, rentacoder etc. You can
find someone who is an experienced freelancer and offer him to help
(for free or for a minimum compensation). You can do pet projects to
show off your skills.

About salary, yes, Tk5000 may not be enough to live in Dhaka. Again if
I were you, and not getting a job, I would still take it to gain
experience. Many companies extend full-time offer to the interns, if
they do good job. Having said that, should the salary for an intern be
higher? Probably. Can a company contribute to that? Probably. Some
companies might already doing this. Again, those inter positions are
probably more competitive than others. So, it does not really solve
your problem.

@Sudipta, when companies hire someone, they invest in you time, money,
and energy to get you up to speed. So, they need you to stay a minimum
number of years to make it a worth the investment. If you join a
company and leave soon, then not only you wasted the company's
investment, but also took away someone else's (who is planning to stay
in Bangladesh) opportunity to work at the company.

Now, to both of you, my offer is that I'll be happy to talk with you
guys more in person, if you are still confused or need personal
feedback. I'll be in Bangladesh from May 4 through May 19. However, my
only condition is this, you have to find others who are in the same
boat as you are and organize them and find a place where I can come
and talk with all of you. I cannot do this individually. Now I want to
see if you can pull this off or not...:-)

Syed H. Rayhan
company: http://www.code71.com
product: http://www.ScrumPad.com
blog: http://blog.syedrayhan.com
twitter:http://twitter.com/srayhan
M:+1-804-306-5111

Md Mostofa Azad

Apr 21, 2010, 2:11:35 PM4/21/10
to agi...@googlegroups.com
@ Sudipta :

One thing I see is that all freshers will always have problems finding
jobs and you have to accept it . Even in Canada you have cooperative
system where when you are studying you work for a company but this is
mostly not paid. So basically you are working for free BUT you are
working for the experience and the name that you have worked for this
firm.

The problems that any fresher faces is not with the money but in
getting the initial call for the job interview . But to be able to
handle this you need to have very good communication with your
seniors in university .

Also why will any company hire you when you will leave in six months
to one year ? I don't understand this ? If you are not committed long
term why will the company invest in you ? They are building teams with
you and then when you leave they have to bring someone else in and
start over.

Kind regards,
Md Mostofa Azad

Raisul Kabir

Apr 21, 2010, 2:15:56 PM4/21/10
to agi...@googlegroups.com
I couldn't convey my msg clearly - what i meant that agilebd is a
place to discuss agile and related stuffs. So, salary raise based on
velocity might be an issue to discuss, but amount of current salary
can't be an issue of discussion - i believe. I suggested that sqabd
might be a place, not the place.

By the way, anisur got it all wrong i believe. Bcc didn't tell to give
5k, bcc told that nobody can give less than 5k. Like, in our company,
our bcc intern starts with lot higher than that. Grow your passion
man!

I still remember where i started. I was honored to get opportunity to
work in computer programming. There was no money at all and worked for
over 4-5 months. It was amazing. I waited everyday just to go there
and join the team. I remember learning html viewing the source code of
yahoo sites. Remeber reading wrox beginning asp 3 top to bottom twice
and enjoying! Those were days!

I still see this passion in many of my people and i see management
incrementing their salary before even asking. So, passion is whats
most important in this field. We are ultimely knowledge worker, mind
worker. We work not for money, for the love of it. We love to just
code and solve problems. Money is important but that is not the reason
we code. So, grow the love, enjoy work, money will be pouring on you
before you know or start finding different career path.
>>> agilebd+u...@googlegroups.com<agilebd%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
>>> .
>>> For more options, visit this group at
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/agilebd?hl=en.
>>>

>> --
>>

> --
> ..:.:: Mithun Sarker
>

> :.:.:: Phone: +8801819201288
> .::.:: E-mail: bd.ms...@gmail.com
> .:.:.: MSN: bd.mS...@live.com
> ....:: Gtalk: bd.mS...@gmail.com
> :::.:: Skype: bd.mSarker
>
> --

Sent from my mobile device

Raisul

--------------------
Raisul Kabir, BrainStation-23
H-480, R-32, Mohakhali, New DOHS,
Dhaka, Bangladesh
cell: +8801713458492
email: rai...@brainstation-23.com rai...@gmail.com
skype: raisulk gtalk: rai...@brainstation-23.com

Anisur Rahman

Apr 22, 2010, 2:09:51 AM4/22/10
to agi...@googlegroups.com
I am sorry to post this query. It is irrelevant to agileBD. I just hear this group name from my friend and joined. From My viewpoint I submit it. I am sorry.

Thanks everybody who reply.

Sudipta K Paik

Apr 23, 2010, 4:34:40 PM4/23/10
to agi...@googlegroups.com
@Md Mostofa Azad  Vai
I am first batch in our campus. No one for suggest us.
When I face viva then I say " Its the possibility to get chance in Europe. But I am not sure that I must go".

Because I want every thing must be clearly.

Tahmid Munaz

Apr 24, 2010, 2:13:00 AM4/24/10
to agi...@googlegroups.com

First of all.. the term "Internship" means - "A student or a recent graduate undergoing supervised practical training." [http://www.thefreedictionary.com/internship] - So it's clearly mentioned that someone is under supervision for practical training. So i am not sure if the company is that much benifited in against of their 5K salary or not? But the person who is getting the chance to get in touch of this internship program - if he is under supervision of a good person obviously he is the lucky guy to earn that glimpse of practical experience.

Specially who are coming from outside Dhaka or has very less idea on the IT market may get into this Internship programs and be upto the pace.. So if you are already graduating from Dhaka - and then planning to start that internship - I believe you already laggin behind and have wasted long time without observing the market needs.

This is very true that we have a large gap between Industry practice and University Syllabus and we always blame on this gap. Our industry leaders suppose to minimize these gap - it's not the University who gonna minimize it. Cause they knows they are on the right track by teaching the students with the upto date Syllabus for basic understanding. BCC has made this initiative country wide and i believe this is benifiting those people who had no chance of getting the glimpse of the practicle field.

Raising any question related to IT may not be relevant to the group discussion but it's not even out of the context of Software Industry. Otherwise for each and every catagory of discussion we might have to think of a new discussion forum. :)

No question should be a silly question. Questions always gives us chances to think twice.

Regards,
Tahmid Munaz
Phone: +8801713115496

"What counts is not the number of hours you put in, but what quality you put into the hours." - Anonymous

nhm tanveer hossain khan

Apr 24, 2010, 10:57:19 PM4/24/10
to agi...@googlegroups.com
Hi sudipta,
i think you are doing great!, you have raised your concerns and showed up your eagerness to talk about this with all of us.
frankly speaking i think this group would be better utilized when more concerning, frustrating and real problem oriented mails are poped up.
i'm damn sure i ain't only enjoyed reading out this thread as well as i've enjoyed seeing people's different room of thoughts about internship.

so far i'm more sure till now, we all wanna see bangladesh as the BEST IT software development base.
wanna see we have pool of passionate talents those who never care about any challenge.
who can put sharp edge of bleeding sword to any technological challenge. can slice challenge into pieces and solve with GUT and passion!

@sudipta, you guys are doing great!, all you need just a little adjustment to understand what is internship is all about and what you can expect and how you can build.

software is thought product, software developers are used to be very emotional and creative. most of them are right brainers, they love to illuminate software with their skill craftsmanship.

did you see any artist ? (who draw other's portrait)

so far i understand no education can build artist, artist are born with right brain dominated. later they figure out where they are the best on.
and they pursue their own dream rather not pursuing their parents dream. (becoming doctor, pilot, engineer etc..)

let me ask you another question, why did you join IT ? Is it your own will or you parents will ?
i saw people who has picked up IT because their parents or other influences told him this is good career to earn money!.
frankly speaking this is modern and more trendy profession where you can have smart salary as well.

BUT, to get smart salary you need to be SMART! i guess damn SMART!

the way you expressed your mail, it feels to me, you are having ZERO (0) confidence on your OWN!.
seems like you just stumbled upon something you were never ready for.

let me ask you! if you were computer science student what else you have done rather addafying with friends, gossiping with friends, studying for better grade ? did you write any program which blows the whole SYSTEM ? did you write any code which bought other's attention to your coding skill?
did you beaten your poorly knowledge teacher by your PASSION and overwhelming study over wikipedia ?
did you read any software industry related magazines or books EVER ?

i don't get it, how come you guys passed 4/5 years without even thinking about industry ? where you have to settle in.
i understand our teachers should have played as mentoring role,
it feels to me, teacher are providing their service because they ain't get any other options left (not all teacher).

just cut the crap! if we consider you to take as an intern in our company. we would have asked for the following key values from you -
  • Can you hold up your negative thought and keep focusing on learning ?
  • Are you focused on software development ?
  • Do you study yourself (from wiki, google) ? or do you need spoon feeding?
  • Can you move alone when you are shown to a path ? (self study, try to understand or ask too many questions to understand)
  • Did you ever joined in any other bangladeshi software groups beside Agilebd ? (like jpgroup for java, phpexperts for php)
  • Do you have the craziness ? do you feel it! do you feel you can ignite yourself ?
i have another question for you -
  • Can you tell me where do you wanna see yourself in next 5 years ? Is it europe or bangladesh?
i know 5 years is far away, but not so far than 10 years or rest of your remaining life times.
if you wanna get well paid, you gotta prove it. you gotta prove why company won't pay you more.
you have to show up your GUT! your passion. otherwise you have to be happy with what you are getting (by the bless of BASIS minimum 5K suggestion). if you are having such attitude (not self learner, not passionate, no patience to give try out) and come to us for internship. we would never let such guy in our company (sounds rude! but you know it's very very very TRUE!).

you gotta PROVE yourself then you will create your need, otherwise you are not welcomed :)
so my last few suggestions for your own improvement -
  • You ask yourself, "Am i in love with Software programming?"
  • You start reading book from the scratch.
  • You build personal projects to learn more inside.
  • When you have completed 1/2 books and practiced lotta times. you try to join in any company as trainee, intern or junior developer
  • You become the most proactive, never care what company is paying you now!
  • Perhaps you might face hard time to survive, you NEVER GIVE UP! you can take money from you friends and family but don't invest yourself in tuition or other none IT related profession.
  • Keep single company focus
  • Learn as much work as possible
  • Prove yourself "Why won't company kiss you :)"
  • Create your own image with the colleagues and company.
I guess you guys can understand this is not a short process, you might need at least 2/3 years to insert into a better level.
so you better get ready and sail your boat.

btw, we (hasin hayder (leevio), emran (right brain solution and me (tasawr interactive) have started workshop in university campus. (right now we are at brac university, we have already taking 7/8 classes)

where we are training students to learn web development with whole domain coverage. (ie we also let them get in touch with html, css, javascript with jquery, database, php, php with codeigniter)

we are planning to improve our curriculum frequently and bring this workshop from BRAC university to any other universities through out the whole nation.

frankly speaking we are doing it for free! actually we are investing our time. since i have office on saturday, my company (tasawr interactive) allowed me 3 days weekend, where i'm utilizing my 3rd day (on saturday) to take class here. thus my company is also investing. all we want better IT growth in bangladesh.

i think other bangladeshi IT professionals should be coming forward to take such initiative to improve our university students, encourage them motivate them and add more fuel on them so they can ignite :)

anyway! thanks guys for reading out this pretty long mail :) khekk!
--
Best Wishes,

Tanveer Hasan | IT Director
Tasawr Interactive

Mobile: +880 1713090511
www.tasawr.com

"work for fun"

Shaer Hassan

Apr 25, 2010, 2:22:33 AM4/25/10
to agi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Raisul. Good post.

Sounds good when it comes from a programmer :).

Foyzul Karim

Apr 25, 2010, 4:19:48 AM4/25/10
to agi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tanveer bhai for your HUGE and Excellent post.

Foyzul Karim
Programmer
The Databiz Software Limited
Dhaka
Bangladesh

Sajjadul Hakim

Apr 25, 2010, 5:26:23 AM4/25/10
to agi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hasan,

As usual, yet another passionate post. But I can't help wonder if it
is an extremely narrow perspective focusing on programmers as being
the only profession that matters in software development (or maybe you
were just addressing this specific person). Not everyone needs or
wants to be a programmer, and of course we all know that is not a
crime :)

Let me throw a testers attributes out there (of course there are other
professions) by rephrasing a lot of your points (should be
interesting):

> software is thought product, software developers are used to be very
> emotional and creative. most of them are right brainers, they love to
> illuminate software with their skill craftsmanship.

Software is a fallible and extremely complex product, created by
developers who hope that it will work (as intended). Software testers
are usually emotional, creative, investigative, curious, critical,
understanding, questioning, philosophical, empirical,
multidisciplinary, intelligent, fascinating, communicative, adaptable,
relentless. Most of them use their entire brain, and gut, and emotion,
and love to expose the illusions of software with their skills and
craftsmanship.

> did you see any artist ? (who draw other's portrait)

Did you ever see a doctor, investigator, lawyer, philosopher,
empirical scientist, epistemologist?

> let me ask you! if you were computer science student what else you have done
> rather addafying with friends, gossiping with friends, studying for better
> grade ? did you write any program which blows the whole SYSTEM ?

Did you ever blow a whole system?

> did you
> write any code which bought other's attention to your coding skill?

Did you expose any illusion that had overconfident onlookers
scratching their heads as to how you pulled it off, and wondering what
skills you had that they didn't have?

> did you beaten your poorly knowledge teacher by your PASSION and
> overwhelming study over wikipedia ?

Did you question your teacher's or mentor's or programmer's or
manager's knowledge they acquired from overwhelming study of bad books
and Wikipedia and folklore.

> did you read any software industry related magazines or books EVER ?

Did you ever read any software development related magazines or books
and question its folklore and irrelevance to practicality.

> Are you focused on software development ?

Are you focused on exposing the illusions of software and software development?

> Do you study yourself (from wiki, google) ? or do you need spoon feeding?

Do you question what you study and what others tell you?

> Did you ever joined in any other bangladeshi software groups beside Agilebd
> ? (like jpgroup for java, phpexperts for php)

and SQABD? ;)

> Do you have the craziness ? do you feel it! do you feel you can ignite
> yourself ?

Are you a curious person? Do you always get the feeling that something
ain't right with that software? Can you ignite the software (ok, you
have to admit this is funny)? Do you ask, is there a problem here?

> You ask yourself, "Am i in love with Software programming?"

You ask yourself, "Does epistemology intrigue me"?

> You start reading book from the scratch.

You start being critical of the content of books, blogs, Wikipedia,
folklore, advice, and understand that everything in software
development is context driven.

> You build personal projects to learn more inside.

You explore opensource software, or any software, and ask "is there a
problem here"?

I am from Therap (BD) Ltd. and you can apply if the above is who you are ;)

Regards,
Sajjadul Hakim
http://rapidtester.blogspot.com/

nhm tanveer hossain khan

Apr 25, 2010, 5:55:56 AM4/25/10
to agi...@googlegroups.com
sajjad bhai,
thanks for SQA context :) really loved the way you wrote it down :)
khekk! actually i haven't been involved directly in SQA profession
probably this is the main reason (or lame excuse ;)) why i haven't felt safe to talk about SQA context.

thanks that you have added it up here :)
--
Best Wishes,

Tanveer Hasan | IT Director
Tasawr Interactive

Mobile: +880 1713090511
www.tasawr.com

"work for fun"

Shaer Hassan

Apr 25, 2010, 5:58:40 AM4/25/10
to agi...@googlegroups.com
Wow! Now it's getting interesting. Thanks to Anisur for the initial post, and thanks to my wisdom that approved that post.

Or else, we would miss this, wouldn't we? :)

Tim Abbott

Apr 25, 2010, 6:09:17 AM4/25/10
to agi...@googlegroups.com
Sajjadul,

As always, some great insights.  I have been reading all the posts, the statement that this isn't the right group to post the question about intern pay, and the offer of a paid one day seminar and let's just say, it's been a great conversation.

1.  Don't censor the intern - I loved his post and we haven't had such a great discussion in a while.  This group hadn't had a post and especially for juniors, ASK whatever you want.  I didn't create the group, I don't moderate it, but if I have to join 20 groups just to figure out what questions I can ask here or there, forget it.  I don't have the time.  This is a general group like SQABD (Sajjadul sign me up) so I don't see why he can't ask such an IMPORTANT question.  Also, juniors are naturally shy so please be polite and don't bash him or his question.  There's not much that's irrelevant to this group and even one time I was going to post some jobs here until I thought that it might not be the best etiquette :).  To every aspiring intern, tester, developer, designer, tea boy :), I will say this;  If you have passion, strong analytical skills, can write good code in any Web technology or love to find bugs in code like I love Chicken Tikka, please COME INTERN WITH US, we'll pay more than 5000 TK.  However, if you don't have those, then you might want to pay us to intern with us :) since we'll be doing the teaching and you will be at Tasawr University.

2.  Syed's Paid Seminar - Since I love Syed and the Code71 team and since Tasawr has put its money where it's mouth is :), I don't think this charging is the best thing to do unless you are trying to limit the number of people that show up which might be wise.  However, following the lead of Sajjadul who's been great with SQABD and all of his labors, please spend an afternoon giving us some insight with all your Agile experiences and superb brain power and I think the paid seminars will come later.  I know when Hasan came to Mohsin and I and told us he needed one day off a week to help mentor and drive passion in some students at a local university, we didn't blink when we agreed.  We are always looking for passionate people that like to contribute and whenever possible, we can work around some of our work to contribute back to the students of Bangladesh.  So in a nutshell, my request is to make it free and open source :).

To be honest guys, in all due respect of course to the job boards, we have been hit and miss when using them.  When we were looking for Hasan and some other people, we went to the technology groups online.  We found a new guy that's going to be joining us soon to lead our .NET efforts the same way (I won't mention who he is right now). We look for people that are actively learning the profession on their own.  I even tried to get Mohsin to agree to never buy another computer again and only hire people with their own computers until he convinced me it would never work in Bangladesh.  Like many have stated in the past, it's hard to hire a carpenter who doesn't have a hammer, but I understand the cost of this equipment is sometimes too expensive for students in Bangladesh.  Even I thought we should then give a loan to the guys and they pay it back through their salaries over the course of the year.  The point is, that passion and technical ability is what counts.  Tasawr will hire people without a degree and we have no issue with this if the person can bring his A game and is also polite, fun, creative, and doesn't think he's God's gift to technology (we don't like arrogant technogods).

I hope this helps and please KEEP ASKING QUESTIONS.

--

Best Regards,

Tim Abbott | Chief Architect
Tasawr Interactive

P.O. Box 295672 - Riyadh 11351 - Kingdom of Saudi Arabia

"consistently excellent"

LEGAL CONFIDENTIAL: The information in this e-mail and in any attachment may contain information which is legally privileged. It is intended only for the attention and use of the named recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, you are not authorized to retain, disclose, copy or distribute the message and/or any of its attachments. If you received this e-mail in error, please notify me and delete this message. Thank-you.

Md Emran Hasan

Apr 25, 2010, 6:36:14 AM4/25/10
to agi...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

Agree with Tim on all the three points. I'd just like to add some for the questioning part.

In my early days of programming, I had the chance to work with some excellent colleagues (including Hasan) and was able to learn a lot by questioning. By asking questions I not only learned different things, but also was able to express my interest/passion. This really made my team members share things with me. Asking questions is the process of learning - sometimes you ask questions to yourself and try to find answers, other times you ask questions to others and they help you out. Not everyone is lucky like me - so utilize the community power! Just keep it relevant to IT industry.

If you are a developer, then I'd suggest you post technical questions to http://stackoverflow.com - it has become a genuine paradise for devs. For SQA related questions, I believe Sajjad bhai can share some links (besides SQABD ;).

Looking forward to meeting with everybody on next AgileBD meet.

Regards,

--
Md Emran Hasan
Co-founder, CTO

p: +880 173 0053050

Kazi Mohammad Ekram

Apr 25, 2010, 11:05:31 AM4/25/10
to agi...@googlegroups.com

Hi Everyone,

                    I would like to give thanks to everyone. Came to know lots of things. Appreciate different type of view point. I didn't had enough time to do some job in bd. After my graduation I left my country because of family.

                 I was also selected for BCC that time. And a company hired me for intern with the same salary of BCC. I was ready to work and I still remembered the day I had big argument with family not to come in Saudi because I thought that I won’t learn anything from Saudi.

                Even my father told me that I will get 10 times more salary then the BCC still I was crying not to come in Saudi only cause I won’t be able to learn.

                 But Alhamdulillah it's true that I learned lot but most of it from this type of community and Bangladeshi friends who is living in BD. I learned less

from the people here.

                 From my view point what I see programming is an extremely passionate profession. I saw lots of people left programming because they were not Passionate. If you don’t love what you are doing you won't do well in it.

                It doesn't matter how much money a company paying you first time. If you are passionate programmer you will be happy and successful one day. I saw one of my friend who started with 8K salary. Within 1 year his salary reaches to 105K (> 1 lakh). Who was really a passionate programmer.

               I think you shouldn’t blame BCC for giving you 5K. Say Alhamdulillah that they are giving you an opportunity to learn and increase your experience in return they are paying you for your study…J

               N.B. My writing is not well arranged….;)

--
Kazi Mohammad Ekram