Tools for Agile Development

Basilio

Feb 15, 2007, 12:11:12 PM2/15/07
to Agile Software Development Group, Ukraine
Which tools you could recommend to adopt in Agile development process.
I am interested in both: Open Source and chargeable tools. Is there
any alternatives to Ruby, anybody used that?

Thanks in advance

Alexey Krivitsky

Feb 15, 2007, 4:13:22 PM2/15/07
to agile-...@googlegroups.com
under Ruby you mean the programming language or?

Basilio

Feb 16, 2007, 8:57:18 AM2/16/07
to Agile Software Development Group, Ukraine
No, I mean the list which was created by Sam Ruby. Unfortunatly cannot
find it :-(

On 15 фев, 23:13, "Alexey Krivitsky" <alexeykrivit...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> under Ruby you mean the programming language or?

alexeyk...@gmail.com

Feb 16, 2007, 3:58:41 PM2/16/07
to Agile Software Development Group, Ukraine
What kind of tools are you looking for?
What kind of environment are you in?

I assume you're asking about tools in terms of software that would
facilitate you and your team?
I would say that mainly agile doesn't need any specific software
tools.

One can actually do it without any software, just by using white
boards, flip charts, planning poker cards (http://
www.planningpoker.com/detail.html).

If you're in a distributed environment, then probably you'd like to
share your charts and other information radiators to your remote
partners.
Here you still can use quite limited but powerful amount of tools,
like spreadsheet (MS Excel).

We use wiki for quite a lot of things - we even draw our charts in
wiki. Twiki is really a good (freeware) one to try.

----
A source control, an issue tracker, a good IDE with refactoring
facilities, the wonderful CruiseControl is out of this discussion.
I'd say they are a must.

// Alexey

Basilio

Feb 18, 2007, 3:10:38 PM2/18/07
to Agile Software Development Group, Ukraine
I was asking for the tools which can facilitate managerial activities,
which allows to manage and track contents of the scrums...

Tim Yevgrashyn

Feb 19, 2007, 6:08:41 AM2/19/07
to Agile Software Development Group, Ukraine
The VersionOne ( http://www.versionone.com/ ) is called one of the
best. It has free "Team edition" for 5 members. Also it has large,
scailable to enterprise level, paid version. So, if you are ready to
pay - you may get benefits from using it at all levels.

SCRUMWORKS by Danube (http://danube.com/scrumworks ) is another nice
to use tool. It is Java based and has GUI and web-page faces (last for
tracking progress).
They also have Free and Pro editions.

I know that Microsoft produced "Scrum For Team System" module that
works with Team Development Studio (or how do they call their .NET
IDE??)

Also, well-prepared MS Excel document is still one of the best. Take a
look on http://www.scrumalliance.org/system/resource/file/18/BurndownTracking.zip
- I found it most easy and powerfull in use. Others that I tried -
were too complicated for me :-)

> > > Thanks in advance- Скрыть цитируемый текст -
>
> - Показать цитируемый текст -

Michael Vizdos

Feb 19, 2007, 8:28:44 PM2/19/07
to agile-...@googlegroups.com
And remember...

White boards. Markers. Index Cards. And some magnets or push-pins.

Maybe if you want to get high-tech, a camera to take pics of your work :).

Simple.

Keep it that way!

- mike
www.michaelvizdos.com
www.implementingscrum.com

Tim Yevgrashyn

Feb 20, 2007, 9:55:02 AM2/20/07
to Agile Software Development Group, Ukraine
Oh, yes. The taskboard is the best tool for handling SCRUM process!

Boris Gloger once published an excelent article (http://
www.glogerconsulting.de/downloads/Gloger-Taskboard3.pdf) that describe
how to handle the Sprint Backlog (including both Items and subtasks)
with help of taskboard.

In my opinioin it is simplest and still visible way to track progress
(we used corkboard).

But, on the other hand, if you have shared team/environment or need to
show progress to external stakeholders it may not work or at least may
not be convenient.
Moreover, sometimes programmers are so hi-tech wised that using of The
Tool is their nature ;-)

On Feb 20, 3:28 am, "Michael Vizdos" <mviz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> And remember...
>
> White boards. Markers. Index Cards. And some magnets or push-pins.
>
> Maybe if you want to get high-tech, a camera to take pics of your work :).
>
> Simple.
>
> Keep it that way!
>
> - mike
> www.michaelvizdos.com
> www.implementingscrum.com
>

> On 2/19/07, Tim Yevgrashyn <yevgras...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > The VersionOne (http://www.versionone.com/) is called one of the

> > best. It has free "Team edition" for 5 members. Also it has large,
> > scailable to enterprise level, paid version. So, if you are ready to
> > pay - you may get benefits from using it at all levels.
>

> > SCRUMWORKS by Danube (http://danube.com/scrumworks) is another nice

> > to use tool. It is Java based and has GUI and web-page faces (last for
> > tracking progress).
> > They also have Free and Pro editions.
>
> > I know that Microsoft produced "Scrum For Team System" module that
> > works with Team Development Studio (or how do they call their .NET
> > IDE??)
>
> > Also, well-prepared MS Excel document is still one of the best. Take a

> > look onhttp://www.scrumalliance.org/system/resource/file/18/BurndownTracking...

> > > - Показать цитируемый текст -- Hide quoted text -

Michael Vizdos

Feb 20, 2007, 3:50:18 PM2/20/07
to agile-...@googlegroups.com
... just do not let the high tech bla bla get in the way of
face-to-face communication!

- mike