Beyond the big island :-)

ShaneH

Nov 17, 2009, 4:39:31 AM11/17/09
to Agile Alliance Australia
I'd like to raise the idea of expanding this group's horizons to
include the country next door, perhaps Agile Alliance Australasia or
AA Australia/New Zealand? As a regular traveller across the Tasman I
feel it would be worthwhile providing a broader perspective,
especially given the reach of many of our organisations and members
across both countries.

How do others feel?

Cheers

Shane

Korny Sietsma

Nov 17, 2009, 5:45:03 AM11/17/09
to ShaneH, Agile Alliance Australia
There was definitely an intention at the original discussion to
include New Zealand in the mix. And, I think, there was even some
willingness to include Tasmania... :)

I'm not sure how the group intents to *tell* the New Zealanders this -
or, indeed, the Taswegians. What are the plans to promote the group's
existence? How much self-promotion does it need?

- Korny
> --

Kornelis Sietsma korny at my surname dot com
kornys on twitter/fb/gtalk/gwave www.sietsma.com/korny
"Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part
that wonders what the part that isn't thinking
isn't thinking of"

Steve Hayes

Nov 17, 2009, 5:57:26 AM11/17/09
to Korny Sietsma, ShaneH, Agile Alliance Australia
Ben Hogan is going to hate this, since he set the group up originally
as "Australia and New Zealand" and I asked him to change it for a few
reasons:

i) I was under the impression there was already an NZ group (since
corrected - there doesn't appear to be);
ii) I didn't recall the discussion at the conference extending to
including NZ from the beginning;
iii) it seemed a bit presumptuous to include our trans-Tasman
colleagues without somehow giving them a choice

I'm personally happy to include NZ, but I wouldn't want to change the
name unless there was some endorsement from some critical mass of New
Zealand agilista. I don't want some angry Kiwi thumping on my door one
dark and stormy night.

So Shane, how could we do that? Use the next SoftEd conference?

Steve
-----
Steve Hayes

Cogent Consulting
http://www.cogentconsulting.com.au
http://iridescenturchin.blogspot.com/
twitter: steve_hayes
GTalk: steve.e.hayes
Yahoo: steve_e_hayes
Mobile: 0403 902 431
SkypeIn: +61 3 9005 6695

Measure your code quality: http://iridescenturchin.blogspot.com/2009/07/what-would-you-like-in-code-quality.html

Have more things to do than you have time to do them? Use http://www.runwayapp.com
.
Runway - where your life takes off.

Steve Hayes

Nov 17, 2009, 6:03:23 AM11/17/09
to Korny Sietsma, ShaneH, Agile Alliance Australia
Korny (and a few others) have raised questions that start with
something like "what is the plan to....".

There are no plans at the moment. Left to my own devices I might move
us towards world domination, but I don't want to. I want to facilitate
and possibly steer, maybe act as a spokesperson, but I don't want to
dictate. Although I haven't asked, I suspect that most of the other
people on the board feel the same way.

So I say - tell, don't ask.

Say what *you* think should happen. If you want the board to do
something "official", tell us. Treat us as your servants, but don't
look to us for direction (at least at the moment). Self organise!

I think the open questions are:

- how do people think that local user groups should interact with AAA?
- should the existence of AAA be promoted? how?
- what should we do as a group? In particular, what would we
do that warrants membership fees?

Eric's suggested sponsorship of open space conferences. I personally
think this is a good idea. What else is going through your heads?

Steve

Korny Sietsma

Nov 17, 2009, 6:19:08 AM11/17/09
to Steve Hayes, ShaneH, Agile Alliance Australia
I have lots of plans to suggest plans, and to contribute to the
fascinating proto-discussion on respect and equity and how agile
relates to them... but I (like everyone else) have been too busy to do
more than ruminate on all this in idle moments.
But I heartily agree, self-organisation is the key; I just have to get
my self organised before I can contribute to the self-organisation!

- Korny
> -----
> Steve Hayes
>
> Cogent Consulting
> http://www.cogentconsulting.com.au
> http://iridescenturchin.blogspot.com/
> twitter: steve_hayes
> GTalk: steve.e.hayes
> Yahoo: steve_e_hayes
> Mobile: 0403 902 431
> SkypeIn: +61 3 9005 6695
>
> Measure your code quality:
> http://iridescenturchin.blogspot.com/2009/07/what-would-you-like-in-code-quality.html
>
> Have more things to do than you have time to do them? Use
> http://www.runwayapp.com.
> Runway - where your life takes off.

Shane Hastie

Nov 17, 2009, 2:50:59 PM11/17/09
to Steve Hayes, Korny Sietsma, Agile Alliance Australia
I will be happy to broach the topic with the Agile groups I'm aware of
in NZ (APN - Agile Professionals Network groups in Auckland, Wellington
and Christchurch) and will look to get something included in the
conference in March.

My first action will be to post a link to this group on the APN LinkedIn
group and see what reaction we get.

Cheers

Shane

Pamela Stone

Nov 17, 2009, 7:46:36 PM11/17/09
to Shane Hastie, Steve Hayes, Korny Sietsma, Agile Alliance Australia, Stephen Lawrence, ROWETT, Katrina
Steve Lawrence at Solnet NZ might be able / happy to help with this aim. Have copied Steve on this mail to give him the opportunity to comment.

Or some of the folk in Vero NZ would probably also be happy to help....... have also specifically copied Katy Rowett on this to see if she can everage some of her Suncorp contacts....

Steve L, Katy - any thoughts?

Pam.

Richard Durnall

Nov 17, 2009, 8:09:12 PM11/17/09
to Steve Hayes, Korny Sietsma, ShaneH, Agile Alliance Australia
Hey Steve,

Good point! Let me kick things off with my $0.1 worth...

What I'd like to see is the board set-up an initial framework for us to operate within:
- What is our charter?
- How do we make decisions?
- How do we collaborate?
- How do we connect to external groups?
- When and how do we meet? If at all?

I'd also like to see the board connect with the Agile Alliance, and other similar groups, and share some information on what they are involved with and the things that we could do here. To be honest I'm not sure what is possible outside of an e-mail list and supporting a conference?

I'm looking to the board to set-up the operating framework and provide some ideas around 'the art of the possible' for the community to consider, promote and challenge. I sense that the blank piece of paper approach is causing us to thrash at the moment. Once we have this in place I'm comfortable that we'll be able to self organise to get things achieved.

Thoughts and opinions?

Rich

Richard Durnall
Principal Consultant || ThoughtWorks Australia
Level 14, 303 Collins Street,
Melbourne, Vic, Australia 3000.
(W) www.thoughtworks.com
(E) rdur...@thoughtworks.com
(T) +61 3 9691 6500 || (F) +61 3 9691 6550 || (M) +61 403 852 003

Mark Mansour

Nov 17, 2009, 10:31:40 PM11/17/09
to Richard Durnall, Steve Hayes, Korny Sietsma, ShaneH, Agile Alliance Australia
I'll jump in with a few more concrete suggestions to kick off a discussion.

I'd like a AAA to:
1) have as it's primary yearly outcome a conference which focuses on
and highlights the agile community
2) act as a central point of information for agile activities within australia
3) provide resources (time, money, expertise) to groups wanting to
further the agile community

I'll go through each with a bit more detail

1. conference
An annual conference is a great way to focus the community on an event
where we can learn from each other (learn), strengthen the ties to
each other either for commercial or personal reasons (network) and
inform the boarder community of what the agile community is doing
(evangelism). I like the idea of a single AAA conf each year as more
than that would be too distracting and hard to organise.

2. centralised communication
It is great that we have lots of local groups exploring agile,
testing, programming, project management and all things related to
software development. I would never want AAA to replace those groups.
The downside of multiple groups is finding all the info. So a
centralised place where I can find out what activities are going on
and a place that hosts discussions on agile methods would be really
valuable. The Ruby community is an example of this working well where
they have closed their city based discussion lists and now have a
national one and I think the whole community is better for it.

3. Provide resources
The guys on the ground, running the local meetups do a great job and a
national body should support any group that can reasonably be argued
for futhering the agile community in Australia. Help may include
financial sponsorship, leveraging AAA to do negotiations or contracts,
or just be a legal body that can deal with other legal entities on
behalf of some of the less formal local groups.

What do you guys think?

Mark

--
Mark Mansour
Agile Bench

Adam Boas

Nov 18, 2009, 1:49:42 AM11/18/09
to Agile Alliance Australia
Toward points 2 and 3, it would be good to have a website / wiki where we
can aggregate information and have it rated by the community. Through
ratings and comments information can be validated within the community.

Too much information in the Agile world is made up on the spot and never
questioned or validated through experiences or empirical testing. It would
be nice to have a place where the community can rate or respond to ideas,
and evidence (or lack thereof) for an opinion can be noted. People looking
for ideas, information, or ways to bring Agile development into their own
work can come with some confidence that the information has been vetted or
at least commented on by people known in the field.
Adam Boas Global Development Manager
Level 17 / 120 Collins St Melbourne Vic 3000 Australia
T +61 3 9670 7790 F +61 3 9670 6663 M +61 400 252 788
www.renewtek.com adam...@renewtek.com
Please consider the environment before printing this email or attachments

Edwin Dando

Nov 18, 2009, 3:24:21 PM11/18/09
to Agile Alliance Australia
As a committee member of the Christchurch APN I completely support the
concept of an Australasian Agile Alliance. I know a lot of people in
NZ have worked hard for a long time to raise the visibility of Agile
and extending the NZ based network to include the West Island would be
really useful.

Some of the immediate benefits I can see is for the APN is simply the
quality of speakers. I want to include as many international Agile
speakers at Chch APN events as possible. We had Nancy V from Lean
Agile Partners in Oct and got a wonderful response. Building on that
with anyone visting NZ would really help.

I wonder if this is something we should try to get some consistency on
within the NZ APN first Shane?

Edwin Dando
Managing Director
Clarus Limited
Level 1, LeftClick House
Corner Lichfield and Madras Streets
PO Box 25443
Christchurch 8144
t: (03) 3799 146
ddi: (03) 363 1840
m: +6421 361 813
ed...@clarus.co.nz
www.linkedin.com/in/edwindando
www.clarus.co.nz
> >> .
>
> > --
> > Kornelis Sietsma  korny at my surname dot com
> > kornys on twitter/fb/gtalk/gwavewww.sietsma.com/korny
> > "Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part
> > that wonders what the part that isn't thinking
> > isn't thinking of"
>
> > --

> agile-alliance-aus...@googlegroups.com
> > .
> > .
>
> -----
> Steve Hayes
>
> Cogent Consultinghttp://www.cogentconsulting.com.auhttp://iridescenturchin.blogspot.com/
> twitter: steve_hayes
> GTalk: steve.e.hayes
> Yahoo: steve_e_hayes
> Mobile: 0403 902 431
> SkypeIn: +61 3 9005 6695
>
> Measure your code quality:http://iridescenturchin.blogspot.com/2009/07/what-would-you-like-in-code
> -quality.html
>
> Have more things to do than you have time to do them? Usehttp://www.runwayapp.com

Mark Mansour

Nov 19, 2009, 4:46:58 AM11/19/09
to Adam Boas, Agile Alliance Australia
I'd also like a mailing list/forum/google group too. My preference is
for a google group but you get the idea.

Katy

Nov 19, 2009, 11:59:21 PM11/19/09
to Agile Alliance Australia
We can definitely rally troops in NZ. They are keen to build the
community and the bridge across the Tasman, Steve L happy to join
forces...
> > agile-alliance-aus...@googlegroups.com<agile-alliance-austra­lia%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> >http://groups.google.com/group/agile-alliance-australia?hl=
>
> > > --
> > > Kornelis Sietsma  korny at my surname dot com
> > > kornys on twitter/fb/gtalk/gwavewww.sietsma.com/korny
> > > "Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part
> > > that wonders what the part that isn't thinking
> > > isn't thinking of"
>
> > > --

> > agile-alliance-aus...@googlegroups.com<agile-alliance-austra­lia%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > agile-alliance-aus...@googlegroups.com<agile-alliance-austra­lia%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/agile-alliance-australia?hl=.- Hide quoted text -

Carolyn Sanders

Nov 23, 2009, 8:02:09 PM11/23/09
to Agile Alliance Australia
As a committee member of the Auckland APN, I can add to Ed's comments
and say

- we discussed this group at our working party meeting yesterday
(that's why I'm here)
- we're keen as beans to talk and work more closely with our cousins
over there on the West Island, but...

- we're curious about what specific value we'd get from being formally
part of the Agile Alliance, apart from possibly sharing visiting
speakers as Ed has suggested. We (the Auckland APN) looked into it a
couple of years ago and didn't decide to join up.
- and we're curious about the cost, both in dollar terms and in effort
- we operate on shoestrings here.

To those last two points, can anyone please enlighten us?

Cheers
Carolyn Sanders (APN Auckland Working Party, Fronde Auckland).
carolyn.sanders at fronde.com for personal responses.

Steve Hayes

Dec 16, 2009, 6:18:58 PM12/16/09
to Richard Durnall, Korny Sietsma, ShaneH, Agile Alliance Australia
Hi Rich,

It's only taken a month for me to reply :-)

On 18/11/2009, at 12:09 PM, Richard Durnall wrote:

Hey Steve,

Good point! Let me kick things off with my $0.1 worth...

What I'd like to see is the board set-up an initial framework for us to operate within:
- What is our charter?

Is that that same as our objectives, or do we need something different?

- How do we make decisions?

I think that the board canvases opinions from members, and then the board does what it thinks is correct, even if this runs against the apparent majority opinion. I think the board needs to be able to act quickly, and in the face of split opinions. If the board consistently makes unpopular decisions, it will be replaced.

Board elections should be elected annually on optional preferential basis from votes of the members, using whatever system we use in the Senate for multiple candidates. Organisational member gives membership rights to the individuals who have joined under that organisational membership.

I'm torn on whether elections should be (somehow) regional, so that we end of with representation from around Australia, or simply national, which risks having many board members from the same city.

The next election should be held by by the end of March (since we need to replace the interim board).

The board should elect the chair from amongst themselves.

- How do we collaborate?

Open question - suggestions?

- How do we connect to external groups?

Tricky - first, do no harm. I don't see any reason why existing user groups shouldn't continue exactly as they are. Perhaps we should treat them as organisations?

- When and how do we meet? If at all?

At any conference where people call a meeting? SoftEd, YOW, Agile Australia

Steve
Measure your Ruby code quality: http://www.codeyak.com

Steve Hayes

Dec 17, 2009, 12:36:03 AM12/17/09
to Mark Mansour, Richard Durnall, Korny Sietsma, ShaneH, Agile Alliance Australia
Mark,

On 18/11/2009, at 2:31 PM, Mark Mansour wrote:

[...]

I understand that a few people are interested in this. I'm personally not sure how to approach it. At the moment we have three conferences that could be considered "agile" in one way or another:

Software Education's SDC 2010 - "Business Analysis Gets Agile" (http://www.softed.com/sdc/)
Agile Australia (which also focusses more on the business than on technical issues)
YOW! (ex-JAOO) (which is a technical conference, but have a lot of agile-applicable content)

We could get behind one of these conferences and make it the "official" AAA conference, or we could start another one. I don't think there's enough space for another one, and I don't want to play favourites amongst the existing conferences. Are there other approaches?

2. centralised communication
It is great that we have lots of local groups exploring agile,
testing, programming, project management and all things related to
software development.  I would never want AAA to replace those groups.
The downside of multiple groups is finding all the info.  So a
centralised place where I can find out what activities are going on
and a place that hosts discussions on agile methods would be really
valuable.  The Ruby community is an example of this working well where
they have closed their city based discussion lists and now have a
national one and I think the whole community is better for it.

We can do this, if we go down the route of having a public forum rather than a members-only forum (see my previous email about membership).

3. Provide resources
The guys on the ground, running the local meetups do a great job and a
national body should support any group that can reasonably be argued
for futhering the agile community in Australia.  Help may include
financial sponsorship, leveraging AAA to do negotiations or contracts,
or just be a legal body that can deal with other legal entities on
behalf of some of the less formal local groups.

I think we can do this, but it will need to be triggered by "pull" first, rather than push. I'd be interested to hear from local usergroups that could use some kind of concrete assistance.

Steve
Measure your Ruby code quality: http://www.codeyak.com

Rowan Bunning

Dec 17, 2009, 2:00:38 AM12/17/09
to Steve Hayes, Agile Alliance Australia
Just a note further to Steve's regarding agile-related conferences... this isn't official yet but there's likely to be a fourth in Australia next year: a Scrum Gathering. Dates yet to be confirmed.

Rowan.