Too many mistakes on Kanjis. How to fix it??

hd_franck

Dec 27, 2011, 3:43:33 AM12/27/11
to aedict-users

Hi,

I've been a fervent user of Aedict for almost a year.
Recently, I showed it to a Japanese friend who then pinpointed a huge
amount of mistakes in Kanjis.
Some she said, are used only in China, some aren't used anymore, etc.
Which means that, to me, this application isn't reliable for serious
learning anymore.

Here are some examples of the mistakes you can find :

直接 (the kanji 直 is wrong on Aedict)
雇用 (the kanji 雇 is wrong on Aedict)
抵抗 (the kanji 抵 is wrong on Aedict)
... and the list goes on ...

So, is there a way to fix it??

I've tried JED recently, ant it shows the exact same mistakes :(

I guess that all applications use the same dictionary full of errors.

Any help will be highly appreciated :)

Thanks!!

Fergal Daly

Dec 27, 2011, 3:58:58 AM12/27/11
to aedict...@googlegroups.com
On 27 December 2011 17:43, hd_franck <humandes...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been a fervent user of Aedict for almost a year.
> Recently, I showed it to a Japanese friend who then pinpointed a huge
> amount of mistakes in Kanjis.
> Some she said, are used only in China, some aren't used anymore, etc.
> Which means that, to me, this application isn't reliable for serious
> learning anymore.
>
> Here are some examples of the mistakes you can find :
>
> 直接 (the kanji 直 is wrong on Aedict)
> 雇用 (the kanji 雇 is wrong on Aedict)
> 抵抗 (the kanji 抵 is wrong on Aedict)
> ... and the list goes on ...
>
> So, is there a way to fix it??
>
> I've tried JED recently, ant it shows the exact same mistakes :(

I think this is a symptom of Android having a Chinese font by default.
Unicode is somewhat broken in that instead of making separate
code-points for the Chinese and Japanese versions of the different
characters, they decided to put them both on the same code-point and
let the application figure out whether it was displaying Chinese or
Japanese and choose the appropriate font (I don't really know why this
was considered a good idea, perhaps because it let them fit everything
into 16-bit).

Ways to fix this:

1 Root your phone and install a Japanese font instead
(DroidSansJapanese.ttf is available in the Android SDK). This is
technical but will fix all of your apps in one go.
2 Ship a Japanese font with Aedict - this will increase the size of
the download by about 1MB.
3 Allow the user to change the font, then get them to copy a .ttf to
the sdcard and point aedict at it (this makes life a bit harder for
users).

http://code.google.com/p/ankidroid/wiki/Installation

has some discussion about this topic related to AnkiDroid,

Fabien CLIN

Dec 27, 2011, 4:13:57 AM12/27/11
to aedict...@googlegroups.com

Hi,
I'm not that far in japanese learning but my (japanese) wife pointed out the same mistakes.
The truth is nor Aedict nor JED are wrong ... they simply use a bad file : kanjidic
So the developers are not to blame in this case. I searched for another opensource kanji file to post it but couldn't find a sole ...
Is there someone to rewrite it?

hd_franck

Dec 27, 2011, 7:15:33 AM12/27/11
to aedict-users
Thanks Fergal :)

But what if I can't Root my phone?
I have a HTC Wildfire with Android 2.2.1 with S-ON which is impossible
to root as it seems.

Fergal Daly

Dec 27, 2011, 7:43:31 AM12/27/11
to aedict...@googlegroups.com
On 27 December 2011 21:15, hd_franck <humandes...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Fergal :)
>
> But what if I can't Root my phone?
> I have a HTC Wildfire with Android 2.2.1 with S-ON which is impossible
> to root as it seems.

Rooting is not a practical solution for most people, I just mentioned
it for completeness.

Assuming fonts really are the problem, any proper fix will need a
change to Aedict to allow selecting a different font,

Martin Vysny

Dec 27, 2011, 8:19:34 AM12/27/11
to aedict...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
  Aedict should be able to download and use the Japanese font automatically, without rooting the device. It should download the Japanese font to sdcard and should be able to use it from the sdcard. Can you please open a bug at http://code.google.com/p/aedict/issues/list ?
Thanks!
Martin

ps: please do not expect to get this fixed soon - I recently have very few time :(

hd_franck

Dec 27, 2011, 9:42:23 AM12/27/11
to aedict-users

Hi Martin, thanks for your reply :)

Is there a way to manually install a japanese font into Aedict?
Like creating a custom font directory in the Aedict folder for
example?

Please let us know if it is possible.

Thanks again!

On Dec 27, 2:19 pm, Martin Vysny <vy...@baka.sk> wrote:
> Hi,
>    Aedict should be able to download and use the Japanese font
> automatically, without rooting the device. It should download the
> Japanese font to sdcard and should be able to use it from the sdcard.
> Can you please open a bug athttp://code.google.com/p/aedict/issues/list?
> Thanks!
> Martin
>
> ps: please do not expect to get this fixed soon - I recently have very
> few time :(

Martin Vysny

Dec 27, 2011, 10:18:44 AM12/27/11
to aedict...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
unfortunately it is currently not possible.
Martin

JimBreen

Jan 5, 2012, 1:38:11 AM1/5/12
to aedict-users
On Dec 27 2011, 7:58 pm, Fergal Daly <fer...@esatclear.ie> wrote:
> On 27 December 2011 17:43, hd_franck <humandesigner....@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Here are some examples of the mistakes you can find :
>
> > 直接 (the kanji 直 is wrong on Aedict)
[...]

> I think this is a symptom of Android having a Chinese font by default.

That's the problem. The dictionary entries are all correct.

> Unicode is somewhat broken in that instead of making separate
> code-points for the Chinese and Japanese versions of the different
> characters, they decided to put them both on the same code-point and
> let the application figure out whether it was displaying Chinese or
> Japanese and choose the appropriate font (I don't really know why this
> was considered a good idea, perhaps because it let them fit everything
> into 16-bit).

Well that goes to the heart of the "Han Unification". I think they got
it right - it would have been a disaster if the unification hadn't
happened.
The key is the get the locale right and invoke the right fonts.

I see my WWWJDIC Android app has the same problem. There should be
a global solution to this problem.

Jim

JimBreen

Jan 5, 2012, 1:41:25 AM1/5/12
to aedict-users
On Dec 27 2011, 8:13 pm, Fabien CLIN <fabien.c...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not that far in japanese learning but my (japanese) wife pointed out
> the same mistakes.
> The truth is nor Aedict nor JED are wrong ... they simply use a bad file :
> kanjidic

Nothing to do with kanjidic. The entries showing the wrong glyphs on
Android
phones are from EDICT.

Kanjidic uses the code-points from the JIS standards.

> So the developers are not to blame in this case. I searched for another
> opensource kanji file to post it but couldn't find a sole ...

I'm not surprised.

> Is there someone to rewrite it?

From what to what? Bear in mind that the dictionary file can't say
which
font to use - that's up to the app.

Jim

Fergal Daly

Jan 5, 2012, 2:03:25 AM1/5/12
to aedict...@googlegroups.com

I was considering packaging the DroidSansJapanese font file in an
"app" that does nothing at all except deposit that file somewhere that
other apps can find it. Not sure if I'll find time to do that,